• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

And yet even with T9 clear being a requirement people raided Final Coil. *shrug* With the way they seem to want to tune Savage content now it doesn't seem like that onerous a requirement.

I mean, single player rpg's sometimes have special endings you get for grinding out content. What's wrong with throwing a bone like that to the people who put on the grind to clear savage? You would still get the good story ending for normal.
Scob and Fcob clear rates dropped off a cliff compared fo Coil because of that.

I'm not arguing against extra story content, but gating Savage raids behind beating the tier before is something they stopped doing for a reason. It's stupid and only serves to constrict the raiding community even further. If Creator was gated behind people being able to beat A8S 95% of the people that got through it wouldn't have even stepped on A9S. It also makes getting into Savage raiding much harder because if you weren't playing during the tier you'll have a really hard time trying to get a clear off obsolete raids. I say this as someone who tried to get into raiding for the first time during Scob but guess what I couldn't beat Twintania because the only people still running T5 at the time were no bonus farm parties.

studyguy

Pretty sure actual ultra hard Savage Coil raids still ended in the single digit clear % for servers iirc from that census they released ages ago. That fact alone makes it unsurprising that they didn't bother at all through all of HW. I don't know how they'll tune the current savage or the supposed ultra hard savage this time around, all I know is that a vast majority will bitch at it and not even attempt to clear as always.

w/e

ubercheez

The thing is, I didn't have this problem a few months ago when I was playing. And I share internet with my housemates downstairs as I can't get a hookup in my apartment as it's a converted attic...

Mine came and went. Time of day seemed to affect it a lot -- I think there was significant traffic in the 2.4ghz frequency in my neighborhood during peak hours. If you live in an area with a lot of wireless networks, you might be having the same problem I was.

iammeiam

Split the difference--play the Savage 'True Ending' at the start of the next normal tier; everyone sees it, raiding Savage lets you see it earlier. Throw an extra intro quest at the start that people with Savage clears can skip to see the stuff non-Savage people missed out on.

The way they handle Normal and Savage could use some work overall; I'm hoping they do with Super Savage stuff what I at one point wanted for Savage, which is enforcing iLevel sync and letting it actually stay hard for more than a tier. Make it clear super ultra side bonus, but just let it exist for a while.

studyguy

Feel like the only reason Coil got such a bad rap initially was because actual story content was gated without the ability to see it at the time for people who played 1.0 and wanted that closure.

I can imagine playing all of 1.0, having no static or time to raid and hearing about the conclusion to 1.0. Alexander was literally its own deal that didn't fucking matter in the broader context of XIV. They've tried to link the 3.0 story to the new raid so at least it's somewhat relevant too. I dunno, I don't usually raid for the story, it's for the challenge. Alternate endings for raiding isn't really ever my endgoal, it's the fucking loot man.

The thing is, I didn't have this problem a few months ago when I was playing. And I share internet with my housemates downstairs as I can't get a hookup in my apartment as it's a converted attic...

Do you or your housemates happen to have Backblaze or any other backup programs running? I had this problem for months, turns out Backblaze continues to run in the background even if you exit out of the app in the Windows taskbar.

Also any torrents obv.

On Windows 10 you can ctrl+alt+del, go to performance tab, click "Open resource monitor at the bottom, go to the network tab, then sort by Send to see if you have anything eating your upload traffic. Could be one of your housemates as well, so ask if you can peek at their computers next time the issue happens.

Also try doing a speedtest to make sure you have some kind of upload speed available.

The way they handle Normal and Savage could use some work overall; I'm hoping they do with Super Savage stuff what I at one point wanted for Savage, which is enforcing iLevel sync and letting it actually stay hard for more than a tier. Make it clear super ultra side bonus, but just let it exist for a while.
Yeah, I've always wanted this for a third difficulty as well. If you're making something that basically only exists to give high level players bragging rights, make sure those bragging rights persist forever. Super Savage fights shouldn't be overgearable, you either do the fight at i340 or whatever this tier's ilvl cap is or you don't clear it.

But chances are we're going with the "let people unsync them and give out Tshirts saying "I beat Cape Westwind Savage!" at events" approach, I guess

Newbie question. I was doing the main story quest to fight Titan with a group from Duty finder. I'm healing as WHM, and our tank seemed to be completely incapable of keeping aggro off me, leading to many wipes. Up to this point, I'm pretty sure I've never pulled aggro on a target that the tank was focused on.

Is there some sort of special aggro mechanic to that fight? I don't know what I could've done differently, short of letting people die. Or is it just a case of the tank not doing their job?

Feel like the only reason Coil got such a bad rap initially was because actual story content was gated without the ability to see it at the time for people who played 1.0 and wanted that closure.

I can imagine playing all of 1.0, having no static or time to raid and hearing about the conclusion to 1.0. Alexander was literally its own deal that didn't fucking matter in the broader context of XIV. They've tried to link the 3.0 story to the new raid so at least it's somewhat relevant too. I dunno, I don't usually raid for the story, it's for the challenge. Alternate endings for raiding isn't really ever my endgoal, it's the fucking loot man.

I mean, Bahamut Coil was also essential to explaining the actual CG intro, in fact the CG you get in BCoil, is the actual ending of the ARR CG intro. Is kind of important, without even factoring 1.0 players.

aceface

Scob and Fcob clear rates dropped off a cliff compared fo Coil because of that.

I'm not arguing against extra story content, but gating Savage raids behind beating the tier before is something they stopped doing for a reason. It's stupid and only serves to constrict the raiding community even further. If Creator was gated behind people being able to beat A8S 95% of the people that got through it wouldn't have even stepped on A9S.

But that's not a raid that was designed with gating in mind. If they are going to continue with creator level difficulty that's what makes it feasible.

This is all me just salty that coil was by far the best content this game has ever had and it's not coming back. I loved how they incorporated the story with the hard battles, it gave them more heft and meaning instead of just "the minstrel made this 'I might have embellished' lolz isn't it funny" And the reason that story got sacrificed is you can't tell a cohesive story without gating next raid tier behind the previous one. I mean, get an FC carry, hell bring back the paid carry market, have people beat it with echo after the next tier is released. There's ways to do this. Yeah, I know it will never happen because Square doesn't want to spare the expense for something fewer people will do. It's still frustrating though.

Edit: I typed this out before reading iammeiam's idea which would actually work well.

But that's not a raid that was designed with gating in mind. If they are going to continue with creator level difficulty that's what makes it feasible.

This is all me just salty that coil was by far the best content this game has ever had and it's not coming back. I loved how they incorporated the story with the hard battles, it gave them more heft and meaning instead of just "the minstrel made this 'I might have embellished' lolz isn't it funny" And the reason that story got sacrificed is you can't tell a cohesive story without gating next raid tier behind the previous one. I mean, get an FC carry, hell bring back the paid carry market, have people beat it with echo after the next tier is released. There's ways to do this. Yeah, I know it will never happen because Square doesn't want to spare the expense for something fewer people will do. It's still frustrating though.

Edit: I typed this out before reading iammeiam's idea which would actually work well.
Coil's story wasn't higher quality because you had to earn it lol that's just projecting. Alex NM's tiers were gated behind each other, you still had to do all fights to see the whole story, the story was bad because it simply was bad.

Also Creator difficulty is supposed to be the starting level of Omega, not the difficulty of all 3 tiers. If you gated Savage behind each other people would still be stuck in Omega's version of Midas.

Squishy3

Split the difference--play the Savage 'True Ending' at the start of the next normal tier; everyone sees it, raiding Savage lets you see it earlier. Throw an extra intro quest at the start that people with Savage clears can skip to see the stuff non-Savage people missed out on.

I think they said you need to clear the respective Savage turn to access the "Super-Savage" difficulty fight being added in odd patches, so it should remain exclusive for a fair bit until you can make the fights a joke (depending on mechanics, obviously) after the item level's increased significantly. Who knows if they'll eventually remove that restriction way down the line, though.

aceface

Coil's story wasn't higher quality because you had to earn it lol that's just projecting. Alex NM's tiers were gated behind each other, you still had to do all fights to see the whole story, the story was bad because it simply was bad.

I'm not making a value judgement on the quality of one story vs the other; I'm lamenting the lack of any story at all in savage. The whole minstrel thing is just frustrating as a framework for why we are doing these battles.

dramatis

Newbie question. I was doing the main story quest to fight Titan with a group from Duty finder. I'm healing as WHM, and our tank seemed to be completely incapable of keeping aggro off me, leading to many wipes. Up to this point, I'm pretty sure I've never pulled aggro on a target that the tank was focused on.

Is there some sort of special aggro mechanic to that fight? I don't know what I could've done differently, short of letting people die. Or is it just a case of the tank not doing their job?
Which tank job?

Titan story is actually not that healing intensive. If you're casting Cure when the tank is at 90% HP, you're overhealing.

However, it could be the tank is GLD/MRD, which means they are missing the stances that allow them to gather and keep enmity easier. It could be that they are not using the stances. It could be that they are not doing enmity combo.

It could be broken gear.

But if you see tank has aggro problem you can check your enmity level both next to the enemy's name on your enemy list and on the party list. You have to dial down healing for a while unless you have Lucid Dreaming.

What The Fox

Neo Member

There's no special enmity mechanic in titan story mode as far as I remember. There are some things in general you can do as a healer to help keep aggro off of you (I'm not blaming you, but since you're not the tank, it's the only advice I can give).

If youre having problems with aggro, make sure to pick up the role skill "lucid dreaming". Using this will halve your current enmity which makes a huge difference. You can also try to make sure you're not overhealing too much (healing when not needed) as that'll increase your aggro. If you're using lucid dreaming and not overhealing ridiculously, then pulling aggro on a boss is not your fault.

Tanks all get their tank stance at lvl30 now (from a quest) - shield oath, defiance, and grit for paladin, warrior, and dark knight respectively. My guess is maybe your tank didnt have that yet.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Up to the Yugiri story stuff in 2.xx and man its bad. Really bad. My character is a female Au Ra so none of this makes any sense x_x. Just need to power through this I guess. Both Samurai and RDM have been a lot of fun so far. RDM is like really easy to understand which is great for a scrub like myself.

iammeiam

I think they said you need to clear the respective Savage turn to access the "Super-Savage" difficulty fight being added in odd patches, so it should remain exclusive for a fair bit until you can make the fights a joke (depending on mechanics, obviously) after the item level's increased significantly. Who knows if they'll eventually remove that restriction way down the line, though.

Right, but the current content cycle trivializes the previous Savage tier the second the new one hits (Brute Justice is the sole exemption here; Manipulator, as big of an ass as he was, was a pushover the second 3.2 dropped. Waterman got essentially lobotomized in 3.2, A6S didn't even make it a whole patch pre-nerfs, A7S was joke status, etc.) It's not about exclusivity, it's about longevity of content--The ideal is that anyone and everyone can go in and beat themselves on the rocks of Actually Hard Content and see if they like it, without having it hamstring their 'normal' raiding or progression.

I don't want content as a gatekeeper letting the chosen few past, but I do want content that I can go back and run six months later and still feel like I have to respect. Content that somebody can miss entirely when current but still go back and challenge themselves with. And that's what I worry we'll miss. Make it clear to people they're not missing out on story or anything super vital, so you only go if you want the challenge component, but preserve the challenge for longer than 'until the next iLevel bump'.

Like, I'd kill for an alternate universe where I got to spend the post-Creator dead time redoing A3S progression with people who started raiding in Creator, but even clicking off echo and forcing us to all gear down wouldn't come close to recreating the real thing, because they hardcore chop off anything that might be too hard the second something newer and shinier comes along.

So what everyone is saying is that they want more content like Steps of Faith that the vast majority of the community still hates and is still challenging content all these years later?

E-mailing Yoshi right now.

Shahed

Booted the game up and it randomly decided I needed to download 22GB for some reason. It's done 2GB in just under 10 minutes so it won't take that long, but the fact I need to leave it in the client in order to download is annoying. Why can't I just play something else in the meantime?

duckroll

Steps of Faith's problem is not that it is challenging. People don't drop out because it is hard. People drop out because they are selfish assholes who refuse to spend a bit more time on a trial that has prolonged mechanics, because they just want to get their daily bonus and fuck off. These people should be banned from Daily Roulette for a month each time they do it imo.

What The Fox

Neo Member
So what everyone is saying is that they want more content like Steps of Faith that the vast majority of the community still hates and is still challenging content all these years later?

E-mailing Yoshi right now.

SoF's problem is that no matter what, you have to wait all the way to the end to wipe, even if you miss a couple DK and are guaranteed to wipe with standard DF total dps output (at least back before they nerfed it). That's really the only big flaw. The difficulty is not high at all, they literally yell at you when to chain him and when to use the cannon. All it takes is just the smallest amount of planning and teamwork.

Not everything for the story needs to be roflstomp easy, in my opinion.

iammeiam

Steps is godawful design because failures take forever; you can technically successfully execute the dragonkiller mechanic with literally two people provided they get the timing right (first person fires a tether and sprints up the steps, second person waits 5-ish seconds before firing theirs off to give the first person time to get to the DK, then tethers) and at this point they've overnerfed it to the point that a full 8 man trial roulette can probably just manually burn him down anyway. But people hate getting it because you'll always have that one idiot that runs up and fires the DK early, and a bunch of DPS that won't DPS, and when somebody screws up you can't just go "ok, we try again!" you have to wait out the entire rest of the fight to start over.

It's bad design, but it's not challenging as actual content and any group with even moderate coordination (up to and including DF!) has been stomping it since day 1 pre-nerf.

I was being a bit factious but I actually think content like Steps of Faith actually has good ideas behind it and I'd like to see more stuff out of the usual like it. i.e. prolonged mechanics and things can't can be beaten by simply brute forcing your way through it.

How to design stuff like that though is beyond me. But even little things like vril bubbles and SusanEX sword blocking button pressing are steps in that direction, I think.

duckroll

No, people hate getting it because what happens is 3 people leave immediately, you wait for more people to queue in, and then they leave too. The problem is 100% on the bad community.

AwShucks

I've never really had time to do much non MSQ and daily roulette stuff. Unless it was because I was grinding for iLvl for patches. But I beat Stormblood way faster than I expected and have been able to do a bunch of stuff I never did before. Optional dungeons, Clan Hunts, Daily beast tribe quests, dun scaith, Omega on launch rather than never, seriously leveling a sub class (RDM, as a BLM main I'm happy to have another dps caster), clearing more Alexander and Wondrous Tales, and even finally using a chocobo companion (this one is just embarrassing, I had the quests done and just needed some greens to summon it).

It's actually making me consider subbing for another month because I'm having a lot of fun.

Vic_Viper

Anyone have a good guide for getting the Anima Weapons now? (NINJA)

I have the Yoshimitsu Zenith. Just got the quest called Soul without Life and it says I need an Astral and Umbral Nodule. Where can I get these? Ive heard I can jsut trade in my Zenith Weapon but dont know who to go to.

I thought it was worth posting here but does anyone need an Astrologian for Omega savage? Preferably Friday/Saturday as that's when I'm going to be available most. I can also use Red Mage but I assume dps spots are going to be full. Anyway, drop me a pm if you need one!

ubercheez

I have the Yoshimitsu Zenith. Just got the quest called Soul without Life and it says I need an Astral and Umbral Nodule. Where can I get these? Ive heard I can jsut trade in my Zenith Weapon but dont know who to go to.

You need to talk to a lady who is on the second floor of Rowena's place in Mor Dhona. She's out on the balcony.

You can't trade your Zenith weapon, you have to trade a Zeta weapon

kromeo

Zenith was part of the old level 50 relic quest line, the astral and umbral nodules are the first part of the lv 60 relic. You need to get a crystal from fates in each of the HW areas then trade them to the woman in Mor Dhona

LProtag

Do you or your housemates happen to have Backblaze or any other backup programs running? I had this problem for months, turns out Backblaze continues to run in the background even if you exit out of the app in the Windows taskbar.

Also any torrents obv.

On Windows 10 you can ctrl+alt+del, go to performance tab, click "Open resource monitor at the bottom, go to the network tab, then sort by Send to see if you have anything eating your upload traffic. Could be one of your housemates as well, so ask if you can peek at their computers next time the issue happens.

Also try doing a speedtest to make sure you have some kind of upload speed available.

Nah, none of that.

It was doing fine for a bit, and then I tanked my first dungeon and got packet loss for 20 seconds and a guy started yelling at me for not tanking. That sucked. Feels like the game is unplayable basically.

Nah, none of that.

It was doing fine for a bit, and then I tanked my first dungeon and got packet loss for 20 seconds and a guy started yelling at me for not tanking. That sucked. Feels like the game is unplayable basically.

Did you buy a prebuilt PC/laptop? Any bloatware apps from the manufacturer or other programs running in the background? This person had a similar issue caused by ASUS Gamefirst: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/40fhqu/ff14_confusing_lagpacket_loss/

You said you didn't used to have this problem, did anything change in your internet setup since the last time you played? Move the router/change provider/etc.?

Which tank job?

Titan story is actually not that healing intensive. If you're casting Cure when the tank is at 90% HP, you're overhealing.

However, it could be the tank is GLD/MRD, which means they are missing the stances that allow them to gather and keep enmity easier. It could be that they are not using the stances. It could be that they are not doing enmity combo.

It could be broken gear.

But if you see tank has aggro problem you can check your enmity level both next to the enemy's name on your enemy list and on the party list. You have to dial down healing for a while unless you have Lucid Dreaming.

You get Shield Oath at lvl 30 now with 4.0 so you can tank like a boss since Flash is stupid threat(especially with the recent buffs) and the only combo you have is Rage of Halone, which also generates stupid threat. Obviously failure to use either of these still results in a mess.

Honestly I can't really think of a way a healer can pull aggro on a single target boss fight off a PLD at that lvl range. Even if they had Medica 2 and were spamming aoe heals, in a 4man you're not pulling off a PLD.

Just sounds like a bad player.

iammeiam

Everything we thought we knew is wrong again; Stat Weights!

None of this is set in stone, still, but the initial read is that the baseline level hit Crit took in the expansion was severe enough to deprioritize it for almost everyone.

If you're not a bard and maybe monk?, DHit is your new damage god. The big surprise to me is that unless you can stack a ton of Crit, Det might actually be worthwhile again. Crit working the way it does means that once you can stack enough of it, it eventually becomes the best for everyone, but since there's a limit to how many secondaries you can have total and what you'll have access to on gear itself (And I don't think non-bards can hit their crit thresholds yet), stacking crit for the moment isn't going to be worth it in most cases.

Bard being weird continues to get an exception and continues to love Crit, and Healers also fall into this weird thing of DHit is a better damage stat, but Crit can at least proc on heals while DHit can't so who knows.

Also Tenacity is still pretty bad. SHOCKER

It's weird. I beat the MSQ for SB, did the Omega Deltascape raid once it was available...loved it all and had a pretty good group for the Deltascape...even joined a fun FC that's a little bonkers and ironically weaboo-ish in stereotypes...yet i've kinda dropped off since last Thursday. I kept thinking this time I would take the Raids more seriously and try and get well geared etc, but I have little desire to.

I enjoyed the Raids (HW I only cleared like 3 months ago so I barely did any Raiding) and I'm excited for Return to Ivalice and what that will bring but...the thought of doing the Raids ad nauseum doesn't appeal that much :( Maybe the repetitive end game of MMOs is not for me, at least in XIV. I still enjoy the game and might level an alt Job actually - I enjoy playing Support in other games but weirdly the dual nature of most supports in XIV is a tad unappealing - but is there anyone else like this?

I'm not complaining about a "lack of content" etc, I guess I just might have burnt myself out by bum rushing through the story in a week or so. Such good times, but with FFXII HD and so on it's like my gaming attention is elsewhere.

Jayhawk

Aww, I was hoping Direct Hit wouldn't be king for non-tanks. I guess I need to start spamming leveling roulette on my tanks some more. I wonder how many Heaven's Eye VIs I will end up breaking on the only overmeld slot 6s can go on.

None of this is set in stone, still, but the initial read is that the baseline level hit Crit took in the expansion was severe enough to deprioritize it for almost everyone.

If you're not a bard and maybe monk?, DHit is your new damage god. The big surprise to me is that unless you can stack a ton of Crit, Det might actually be worthwhile again. Crit working the way it does means that once you can stack enough of it, it eventually becomes the best for everyone, but since there's a limit to how many secondaries you can have total and what you'll have access to on gear itself (And I don't think non-bards can hit their crit thresholds yet), stacking crit for the moment isn't going to be worth it in most cases.

Bard being weird continues to get an exception and continues to love Crit, and Healers also fall into this weird thing of DHit is a better damage stat, but Crit can at least proc on heals while DHit can't so who knows.

I don't see healers doing Dhit, you just can't get a reasonable amount of it unless you pentameld your entire right side and fuck that

Baliis

Interesting, I know a lot of RDMs had been going crit before DH which is how I'm melded now, will have to switch over. Thankfully VI materia are so easy to get.

iammeiam

I don't see healers doing Dhit, you just can't get a reasonable amount of it unless you pentameld your entire right side and fuck that

But it's linear, not exponential, so it's not subject to the same stacking problem as Crit.

Healers have a base 0% DHit rate; one VI materia bumps it to 1%. Every 40 points after that is just another 1% DHit chance, so the 60th meld is worth just as much as the first. You need 108 points of crit for a 1% crit chance, so by the time you've melded enough to get a 1% crit chance you're giving up a like 2.75% DHit chance. Crit catches up if you stack enough, but if we're talking baseline non-penta DHit will hit harder.

It doing nothing for healing itself is a thing which makes Crit worth discussing, but in terms of damage DHit will be a better meld in any slot with the levels of secondaries we'd expect to see this tier.

But it's linear, not exponential, so it's not subject to the same stacking problem as Crit.

Healers have a base 0% DHit rate; one VI materia bumps it to 1%. Every 40 points after that is just another 1% DHit chance, so the 60th meld is worth just as much as the first. You need 108 points of crit for a 1% crit chance, so by the time you've melded enough to get a 1% crit chance you're giving up a like 2.75% DHit chance. Crit catches up if you stack enough, but if we're talking baseline non-penta DHit will hit harder.

It doing nothing for healing itself is a thing which makes Crit worth discussing, but in terms of damage DHit will be a better meld in any slot with the levels of secondaries we'd expect to see this tier.
Well, there's also the fact that we can get a lot of crit naturally from gear anyways and healer gear will never have to worry about hitting Dhit caps.

I wonder how Det works with healing though. Is it a 1% increase every 170 points as well?

iammeiam

Well, there's also the fact that we can get a lot of crit naturally from gear anyways and healer gear will never have to worry about hitting Dhit caps.

But what's native on gear won't matter for at least six months, if even then. Like, you can't get enough crit from gear in Omega to make melding in Crit more damage than melding in DHit.

I think the actual healer safety meld might end up being Det (Speed might have a place but I haven't dug too deeply); Dhit > Det > Crit for damage, and Det will also impact healing, so that might make up for Det being worse than Dhit. Nothing makes up for the baseline hit crit took given expected secondary budgets this tier.

studyguy

Tenacity will naturally scale better in the future as it's literally forced on us on fucking every accessory and armor piece at this point. Also am I wrong in thinking that melding DH fully on my tank would actually outperform Crit/Det for now till our base values in armor start getting higher in later ilvls

Orcastar

Soooo what exactly should I be melding as a WHM? I'm only ilvl 299, but so far I haven't melded anything because I have no idea how any of this stuff works, and the game doesn't bother explaining any of it. Like my first instinct is that I should be melding mind, but apparently that's not the case? Why do they make this stuff so stupidly complicated that you have to look up complex calculations online?

Does melding even really matter?

But what's native on gear won't matter for at least six months, if even then. Like, you can't get enough crit from gear in Omega to make melding in Crit more damage than melding in DHit.

I think the actual healer safety meld might end up being Det (Speed might have a place but I haven't dug too deeply); Dhit > Det > Crit for damage, and Det will also impact healing, so that might make up for Det being worse than Dhit. Nothing makes up for the baseline hit crit took given expected secondary budgets this tier.
No I meant in the sense that we'll be getting a good amount of Crit anyways so might as well meld something else if Crit is doody

I like the idea of going with Det. I already have enough RNG in my life right now

Top Bottom