• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

aceface

The whole reason behind normal mode and savage is for the people who don't want to do actual raiding but still want to see the story. Locking a "true" ending. Behind savage would be frustrating for everyone involved.

Running savage content for weeks with no story reward (which is mostly what I play this game for) is frustrating for me. The most rewarding and satisfying thing in this game for me was seeing those story cutscenes in Coil after putting all the work in to clear it. Plus they eventually put in echo and gear carry so everyone who wants to clear it can.

chogidogs

How much longer until I unlock Ishgard?

I've done the MSQ and had the credits roll and im now
building up the Scions in Mor Ghana (or whatevs). Unlocked a bunch of Hard mode dungeons.

I thought the road from the ending of vanilla ARR to HW was the longest most uneventful thing in the game. For a time reference it took me about 20-22ish hours. The ending that leads up to 3.0 was pretty good tho.

HunRevan

I have been maining SCH since I bought the game not long ago. Half a year tops. Now i got to SB content and im lvl64 now but all I hear is SCH became the most useless class now. Should I stick with it or just go for an other class like AST?

aceface

I have been maining SCH since I bought the game not long ago. Half a year tops. Now i got to SB content and im lvl64 now but all I hear is SCH became the most useless class now. Should I stick with it or just go for an other class like AST?

It got some nerfs in stormblood but it is by no means useless. For anything less than savage content, what class you run as doesn't really matter. For savage the prevailing wisdom seems to be that you want to bring an AST no matter what, but the other healer can be a WHM or a SCH.

Welcome to ARR (Savage). There's some interesting and cool stuff in those 100 or so MSQs, but it's all sitting right next to a bunch of blatant busywork and padding. The final patch before Heavensward is great and it all pays off, but it really needs a rework somewhere down the line because it really stops me from recommending this game to most people.

Please come to the Waking Sands.

Running savage content for weeks with no story reward (which is mostly what I play this game for) is frustrating for me. The most rewarding and satisfying thing in this game for me was seeing those story cutscenes in Coil after putting all the work in to clear it. Plus they eventually put in echo and gear carry so everyone who wants to clear it can.

Two words: T9

chogidogs

Welcome to ARR (Savage). There's some interesting and cool stuff in those 100 or so MSQs, but it's all sitting right next to a bunch of blatant busywork and padding. The final path before Heavensward is great and pays off, but it really needs a rework somewhere down the line because it really stops me from recommending this game to most people.

I would be fine if they adjusted the experience for it. All that work for nothing was very very demoralizing.

iammeiam

Just outright Spire them to show them who's the boss!

I was going to say something about Sprint but realized the changes make it irrelevant; I like the way you think.

It got some nerfs in stormblood but it is by no means useless. For anything less than savage content, what class you run as doesn't really matter. For savage the prevailing wisdom seems to be that you want to bring an AST no matter what, but the other healer can be a WHM or a SCH.

Basically; Balance makes AST's group utility OP to stupid levels, and Noct shields right now are good enough that barring a deployed Adlo being nigh-mandatory you won't miss SCH shields. WHM can't mitigate or do much in the way of utility, but the rest of the party can kind of band together to cover WHM's lack of mitigation and their raw heal bomb capacity should make them solid for progression recovery (even though ideally you don't want WHM spending GCDs actually healing because they have the highest personal damage per GCD of all the healers, "pure healer" my foot.)

I still maintain Diurnal AST/SCH will edge WHM out in optimization mostly because Chain Stratagem is going to be really, really good for any job with a crit mechanic, and while the fairy heals took another hit in SB they can still do a decent amount.

It's mostly a weird situation of I kind of think Noct's shields are overpowered currently, but the only people who would really suffer from Noct getting a massive hit to shields is WHM, because Balance is still going to make AST borderline auto-include.

We're doing prog on Noct/WHM but I'm going to at some point level SCH and learn to use it so we can try messing with Diurnal/SCH at some point post-clear. Infinite 'why doesn't the fairy ever frigging listen' posts, coming soon.

IvorB

Welcome to ARR (Savage). There's some interesting and cool stuff in those 100 or so MSQs, but it's all sitting right next to a bunch of blatant busywork and padding. The final patch before Heavensward is great and it all pays off, but it really needs a rework somewhere down the line because it really stops me from recommending this game to most people.

I don't agree with charging people to skip content like SE are doing but if someone was minded to skip something, I would say skip ARR story. It just gets so much better from HW onwards and ARR is just such a mixed bag. The only thing is: if someone cares about story, they will miss the beginning of the Iceheart arc which is one of the strongest parts of HW story.

Even when I was playing through ARR I was wishing I could opt out of MSQ and just have stuff unlock by level.

Berordn

I don't agree with charging people to skip content like SE are doing but if someone was minded to skip something, I would say skip ARR story. It just gets so much better from HW onwards and ARR is just such a mixed bag. The only thing is: if someone cares about story, they will miss the beginning of the Iceheart arc which is one of the strongest parts of HW story.

Even when I was playing through ARR I was wishing I could opt out of MSQ and just have stuff unlock by level.

Yeah, Iceheart is required reading to understand HW, and it's a fun fight besides.

It's just locked behind a ton of stupid fetch quests. I love you Tataru but I swear if you ever ask me to get you something again...

zelhawks37

So I am about to go to
Castrum Meridianum
and regarding ARR's quests, they were decent with your expected filler, but the whole
corrupted crystal arc
before
Garuda
is hands down the worst part of the game for me. At least with
preparing the feast before Titan
made a little sense as far as testing you, but extending an arc because you forgot to say something is nonsense. All that said, the fight with
Garuda
made it worth it in the end. Best encounter in the game so far for me.

Sciel

7ecded880c.jpg

How do you use this skill?
I don't even feel like doing the WHM job quests because it seems so underwhelming.

Berordn

How do you use this skill?
I don't even feel like doing the WHM job quests because it seems so underwhelming.

When you cast Cure/II on a party member it can grant a buff on them called Confession, and that gives you another free and instant heal on all party members who currently have confesison active, healing more if they have more stacks.

It actually seems a little counterintuitive to me, since you're not going to be doing much group healing with Cure in general and the confession buff is rather short, but if nothing else it can be another emergency tank heal.

I wrote a whole thing about Square Enix needing to revisit the 2.0 content with fresh eyes. Rejigger some quest, beef up the presentation, and cut some others entirely.

Sciel

Its so stupid but its another free decent heal if you actually manage to get it to proc to 3 confessions so whatever. Its such a throwaway skill.
When you cast Cure/II on a party member it can grant a buff on them called Confession, and that gives you another free and instant heal on all party members who currently have confesison active, healing more if they have more stacks.

It actually seems a little counterintuitive to me, since you're not going to be doing much group healing with Cure in general and the confession buff is rather short, but if nothing else it can be another emergency tank heal.
It's pretty simple

You don't
Its so garbage that I can't believe it made it into the final game. Worst 70 skill ever?

At least make it proc on Medica 1/2, increase the chance to 30-40% and make the stacks last indefinitely.

Leunam

Well, not every level 70 action can be Passage of Arms (PLD). Used it in the final trial and my WAR buddy asked "Whoa what the hell is that?" Great ability and feels very, very appropriate for Paladin. Shame not all classes got something equally fitting.

dramatis

I don't have it yet but an instant cast with only a 15 second cooldown sounds pretty sweet.
It's rando

The target for heals HAS to have at least 1 stack of confession for Plenary to do any heals.

Confession stacks proc 20% of the time, and only on targets that you hit with a Cure or Cure 2 (only those two abilities). The stack drops after 30 seconds if you don't proc again to increase stack or if you don't use Plenary.

Berordn

I don't have it yet but an instant cast with only a 15 second cooldown sounds pretty sweet.

Except there's never any guarantee you'll be able to cast it, because it relies on a proc from other heals which you probably aren't casting in the situation they designed this heal around.

WHM already has more reliable instant casts and if you need to get big group healing going you've got Swiftcast + Medica.

Well, not every level 70 action can be Passage of Arms (PLD). Used it in the final trial and my WAR buddy asked "Whoa what the hell is that?" Great ability and feels very, very appropriate for Paladin. Shame not all classes got something equally fitting.
There's not being flashy and then there's being so rarely used and fucking awful that I can't even tell you what the animation for Plenary looks like

If this piece of shit existed pre-SB it would have been deleted from the game alongside garbage like Featherfoot. It needs to be completely retooled, Confessions are fucking idiotic. I don't need a single target OGCD Cure 1 proc on a fucking 20% proc chance.

iammeiam

There's not being flashy and then there's being so rarely used and fucking awful that I can't even tell you what the animation for Plenary looks like

If this piece of shit existed pre-SB it would have been deleted from the game alongside garbage like Featherfoot. It needs to be completely retooled, Confessions are fucking idiotic. I don't need a single target OGCD Cure 1 proc on a fucking 20% proc chance.

"Y'all need to calm down!"/"The media tour build is old, you have no right to be concerned until you see the changes made in the final version!" kook

People called lilies bad pointless and... they are. And Plenary/Confessions are so bad people were pushing fanfic versions of how they wanted the skill to work as obviously how it was supposed to, despite all evidence pointing to idiocy.

The problem was never that WHM was going to be bad, just that all their new mechanics/systems are pretty garbage. And they are. :| Isolated skills (Thin Air!) and tweaks are solid, but the new stuff is blech.

Plenary indulgence is trash cuz it's dependent on a 20% single target proc in order to group heal.
You'll never use it as a group heal, because by the time you actually get a stack on the last party member, the first four to seven people will have had theirs fall off.

Berordn

The problem was never that WHM was going to be bad, just that all their new mechanics/systems are pretty garbage. And they are. :|

I think this is kind of the problem with designing new abilities for WHM. You need a big budget healer that's got regen out the butt? They got it in spades, and have the entire toolkit they need to heal endgame content from 50 on.

So with their entire toolkit sorted out and them sucessfully filling the niche of being the healer that just heals, everything else they come up ends up being useless. AST gets a great tool for their secondary purpose, SCH gets Fey Union which isn't the worst thing ever and gives them a more focused heal, but WHM has no other niche to fill and they clearly don't want a damage dealing healer so they just keep getting useless knick knacks.

The best part is that compared to the media tour I'd say WHM is actually worse off because Benison didn't need Lilies to cast before.
I think this is kind of the problem with designing new abilities for WHM. You need a big budget healer that's got regen out the butt? They got it in spades, and have the entire toolkit they need to heal endgame content from 50 on.

So with their entire toolkit sorted out and them sucessfully filling the niche of being the healer that just heals, everything else they come up ends up being useless. AST gets a great tool for their secondary purpose, SCH gets Fey Union which isn't the worst thing ever and gives them a more focused heal, but WHM has no other niche to fill and they clearly don't want a damage dealing healer so they just keep getting useless knick knacks.
Just give me an AoE version of Tetra and call it a day. Under no circumstances I'm using Cure1/2 on my fucking DPS, they can deal with Regen ticks or Bene/Tetra in case of "I fucked up a mechanic and the next mechanic will kill me".

I hate feeling like the devs have never actually played the game but thats exactly what the WHM changes make me feel. I only keep Cure 1 on my hotbar because sometimes I need to run Sastasha in roulletes and I don't use Cure 2 more than once a minute if that, stop tying shit exclusively to that you assholes.

scy

Plenary indulgence is trash cuz it's dependent on a 20% single target proc in order to group heal.

Just to clarify something here, that's a 20% chance per person you want it to heal, which gives it something around a .4% chance to get all 8 up before it falls off on the first target.

Really, they had room to expand on Stoneskin / Stoneskin 2 for shielding while leaving WHM as the worst consistent / spammable mitigator and then just giving them some form of utility buff. I actually like Benison in theory, it just ends up being tied to Lilies / Lilies as a whole being stupid (CDR is the dumbest reward for healing-related oGCDs).

The best part is that compared to the media tour I'd say WHM is actually worse off because Benison didn't need Lilies to cast before.

I think this was just a tooltip thing in the first place, wasn't it?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That feeling when you have been playing off and on for 4 years and realize you only have killed 23 S-ranks and 75 A-ranks. That mount isn't happening for me...

Tanston

"Y'all need to calm down!"/"The media tour build is old, you have no right to be concerned until you see the changes made in the final version!" kook

People called lilies bad pointless and... they are. And Plenary/Confessions are so bad people were pushing fanfic versions of how they wanted the skill to work as obviously how it was supposed to, despite all evidence pointing to idiocy.

The problem was never that WHM was going to be bad, just that all their new mechanics/systems are pretty garbage. And they are. :| Isolated skills (Thin Air!) and tweaks are solid, but the new stuff is blech.

You'll never use it as a group heal, because by the time you actually get a stack on the last party member, the first four to seven people will have had theirs fall off.

Lillies look like an instant win button compared to the garbage that is Plenary indulgence.

dramatis

Plenary isn't a group heal.

The moment you learn it's a 20% proc and it dies after 30 secs, you know it isn't a group heal lol

To be honest I don't think they should increase the proc chances and make Confession last longer/not fall off. I think they should think up a new use for Plenary altogether and sub it in instead of this Confession business.

Sciel

The devs have always had this weird obsession with giving every WHM mechanic some rng element.

Another option aside from buffing the skill is to just drop confession stacks altogether and make it work with Lilies.

"Restores HP of all nearby party members. Potency varies with Current amount of Lilies"

1 Lily: 400
2 Lilies : 500
3 Lilies : 600"

There you go, skill somewhat fixed and they can still fit in some shitty rng mechanic to it.

I think this was just a tooltip thing in the first place, wasn't it?
Nah, media tours didn't mention it needing a Lily. It also had a longer CD to compensate.
Plenary isn't a group heal.

The moment you learn it's a 20% proc and it dies after 30 secs, you know it isn't a group heal lol

To be honest I don't think they should increase the proc chances and make Confession last longer/not fall off. I think they should think up a new use for Plenary altogether and sub it in instead of this Confession business.
The problem with the group heal thing is that the tooltip makes no fucking sense

"Heals nearby party members, potency scales with Confession stacks" oh ok so it heals everyone but heals more depending on how many Confessions you have right

Haha no

Berordn

Really, they had room to expand on Stoneskin / Stoneskin 2 for shielding while leaving WHM as the worst consistent / spammable mitigator and then just giving them some form of utility buff. I actually like Benison in theory, it just ends up being tied to Lilies / Lilies as a whole being stupid (CDR is the dumbest reward for healing-related oGCDs).

I miss Stoneskin too, but it sorta feels like they're trying to define WHM as the regen healer, and SCH as the mitigation healer (despite how badly they're succeeding at the latter) and trying to kill off every other form of healer utility in the process.

But if they really want to move forward with that then they really need to make these lillies work better, because right now I can't think of a situation where I'd want to use WHM's new skills or bring SCH over AST at all.

Tanston

Nah, media tours didn't mention it needing a Lily. It also had a longer CD to compensate.

The problem with the group heal thing is that the tooltip makes no fucking sense

"Heals nearby party members, potency scales with Confession stacks" oh ok so it heals everyone but heals more depending on how many Confessions you have right

Haha no

The tooltip should just say "Confesion stacks fall off 5 seconds before damage occurs." That way you could at least use it to predict the future.

iammeiam

Lillies look like an instant win button compared to the garbage that is Plenary indulgence.

Lilies are nice in dungeons but functionally useless for 'real' healing; you can't rely on them, you can't choose where to spend them, you can't choose to sit on them, and they're by design not useful currently and not useful for your next usage of a CD, but will in fact pay off the time after the next time you use a CD.

Lilies are more subtle evil IMO because they're successfully baiting people into using Cure II when not needed because gardening!

Also it does that SCHING! sound at 3 lilies like you get at a full stack of Pitch Perfect, and it's such a misuse of the hype noise.

studyguy

The devs have always had this weird obsession with giving every WHM mechanic some rng element.

Another option aside from buffing the skill is to just drop confession stacks altogether and make it work with Lilies.

"Restores HP of all nearby party members. Potency varies with Current amount of Lilies"

1 Lily: 400
2 Lilies : 500
3 Lilies : 600"

There you go, skill somewhat fixed and they can still fit in some shitty rng mechanic to it.

5.0 WHM: Benediction now has a new trait that has a 25% chance to proc. When it does, the animation is .5 seconds longer before the spell effect kicks in. No other changes reported.

How 2 fix WHM's bullshit "I'm done being calm" edition

100% chance of Lily in Cure 3 and Medica 2 casts. 50% chance of Lily in Regen and Medica casts
20% chance that Assize and Asylum recast timers are reduced by 5 seconds if Regen ticks crit. 3% chance if Medica 2 ticks crit.
Plenary can be cast anytime, heals everyone for a base 200 potency. Casting any heal spell including your OGCDs has a 20% chance to grant you a Confession stack with no timer which increases the potency of your next Plenary cast

Add 10 potency back to Stone 4 because fuck you for ever telling me to calm down about your awful changes

BAM POW WHM FIXED

scy

The best part of lilies has been training myself to look at the pretty flowers.

As far as fanfic stuff for WHM goes, I'd rather they just make Lilies not be CDR. I don't have a huge problem in the generation of them at this point but find the CDR aspect to be pretty underwhelming / undesirable. Plenary as a single stack mechanic with a higher duration is also far more usable if only as a means of re-buying a GCD heal as an oGCD later (aka, I really kind of want a DIY Excog).

The initial preview shows the consumption, the tooltip previews from the media tour show it unavailable at 0 lilies, and the dungeon they ran (Shisui) doesn't have Benison anyway; as far as I'm aware, it took Lilies from the very beginning of it ever being shown off, the tooltip just never noted it requiring one.

The initial preview shows the consumption, the tooltip previews from the media tour show it unavailable at 0 lilies, and the dungeon they ran (Shisui) doesn't have Benison anyway; as far as I'm aware, it took Lilies from the very beginning of it ever being shown off, the tooltip just never noted it requiring one.
So it needed a Lily and it still had a 60s CD on top of it? Boy I'd be frothing at my mouth if that ever made it to live so technically calming down was a good idea.

Lilies are nice in dungeons but functionally useless for 'real' healing; you can't rely on them, you can't choose where to spend them, you can't choose to sit on them, and they're by design not useful currently and not useful for your next usage of a CD, but will in fact pay off the time after the next time you use a CD.

Lilies are more subtle evil IMO because they're successfully baiting people into using Cure II when not needed because gardening!

Also it does that SCHING! sound at 3 lilies like you get at a full stack of Pitch Perfect, and it's such a misuse of the hype noise.

I sometimes will sit on 3 lilies when Asylum is almost off cooldown and I hate it. Also using anything more than 1 Lily on Divine Benison feels like a waste to me.

aceface

Final Justice would also like to interject

If you had to beat Manipulator and Brute Justice to get to the next tier no one would fucking raid anymore.

And yet even with T9 clear being a requirement people raided Final Coil. *shrug* With the way they seem to want to tune Savage content now it doesn't seem like that onerous a requirement.

I mean, single player rpg's sometimes have special endings you get for grinding out content. What's wrong with throwing a bone like that to the people who put on the grind to clear savage? You would still get the good story ending for normal.

Top Bottom