• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Berordn

Soooo what exactly should I be melding as a WHM? I'm only ilvl 299, but so far I haven't melded anything because I have no idea how any of this stuff works, and the game doesn't bother explaining any of it. Like my first instinct is that I should be melding mind, but apparently that's not the case? Why do they make this stuff so stupidly complicated that you have to look up complex calculations online?

Does melding even really matter?

It's only really required for players tackling high end content. You'll perform better for doing it, but the delta isn't massive.

iammeiam

Tenacity will naturally scale better in the future as it's literally forced on us on fucking every accessory and armor piece at this point. Also am I wrong in thinking that melding DH fully on my tank would actually outperform Crit/Det for now till our base values in armor start getting higher in later ilvls

The takeaway currently seems to be don't bother with Crit at all for a long-ass time.

Until you can hit ~2800 crit, DHit is better.

From ~2400 to ~2800, Crit beats out Det, BUT that has to be ~2400 to ~2800 after you've already maxed out DHit, since any Crit meld you make over a Dhit option would be wasted damage.

Basically unless somebody blows this guy's math up, your priority for the foreseeable future is DHit -> Det - > Crit. Skillspeed goes somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

scy

Just to add on to things, you get around 3194 total secondaries @i320 right now. That's at most +1880-ish in a single stat, though I don't think any gearset is actually secondary capped so please be excited.

Soooo what exactly should I be melding as a WHM? I'm only ilvl 299, but so far I haven't melded anything because I have no idea how any of this stuff works, and the game doesn't bother explaining any of it. Like my first instinct is that I should be melding mind, but apparently that's not the case? Why do they make this stuff so stupidly complicated that you have to look up complex calculations online?

If you could meld Mind, we totally would. It's just that it's naturally capped out on all the slots anyway so it's a wasted materia option. Most the min/max details are pretty minor (though, DHit vs CHit for DPS is actually a pretty large gap; DHit's that good) so melding is mostly just getting the most out of things. From a healer perspective, you can largely justify any somehow? Det seems to be outright better than Spell Speed for DoT/HoT effectiveness so you'll mostly be deciding between better raw output (Det) and better MP/Regen (Piety) probably. Healer secondaries have historically been a giant question mark, tbh.

studyguy

Stacking Dhit was literally not my expectations considering we started at 0 tbh. At least my empty materia slots can finally be filled I guess.

Does melding even really matter?

When you open the meld menu, say at the materia melder npc if you don't have crafting, it'll tell you what you can meld. Generally speaking, whatever is on the item can't be melded or is heavily capped. That's cause of the stars weight formula, where each stat has a maximum amount per ilvl, and if the stat is directly on the item, if it's primary it's capped and if it's secondary it's close to cap. So you can't meld mind on pretty much any mind gear, making mind/int/dex materias pretty worthless in general. They've been used in the past on vit crafted accessories to reach certain hp treshold for hard content but who knows if that'll be the case ever again.

I think I'd probably meld det, and if you can't meld det, crit or possibly piety for learning content. DH is better for damage but also doesn't do anything for heals which seems kinda meh as a choice. For SCH, crit over det probably since you still want these crit adlos.

As for stacking Dhit, everyone's been saying that for a little while from what I've seen. Not a big surprise, I think the surprise is more that det is better than crit currently. Maybe next tier it won't be.

So which of the two extremes is easier? I'm thinking of doing a long solo queue but I want to maximize the likelihood of winning without quitters jumping ship.

studyguy

Lakshimi is extremely forgiving.
Susano is pretty forgiving too, but like the kind of pressure you're under there vs lakshimi at least feels less forgiving. Both are substantially easier than say Ravana or older EX like Zeruvan

dramatis

You get Shield Oath at lvl 30 now with 4.0 so you can tank like a boss since Flash is stupid threat(especially with the recent buffs) and the only combo you have is Rage of Halone, which also generates stupid threat. Obviously failure to use either of these still results in a mess.

Honestly I can't really think of a way a healer can pull aggro on a single target boss fight off a PLD at that lvl range. Even if they had Medica 2 and were spamming aoe heals, in a 4man you're not pulling off a PLD.

Just sounds like a bad player.
Original poster did not indicate it was a PLD.

To my knowledge you still have to actually pick up job quest and do them to upgrade your class to job. Given the general stupidity of humanity, I wouldn't put it past players to not know to do that.

I think it was likely a bad tank, however as a player knowing that there are bad players out there, as a healer I'm always adjusting lol You learn what you need to do to keep things together.

Baliis

So which of the two extremes is easier? I'm thinking of doing a long solo queue but I want to maximize the likelihood of winning without quitters jumping ship.

Lakshmi is the easier one by far IMO

Both are ridiculously easy. But I think it is better to start with Lakshmi since that's easier, imo.

Lakshmi is way easier for sure. Susano isn't bad, but the amount of people I've seen line up the cloud with the safe zone is pretty amazing. I had one group where 3 people got hit by the first churning, then dropped the line like that, noped out of there so fast.

chogidogs

I just hit 70 a few minutes ago so all this melding talk is a good help. I get DET as something that would definitely make an impact. Is spell speed any good? I have alot of those.

studyguy

The main issue is lakshimi mostly feels like everyone can fuck off and deal with mechanics on their own. (Even the cross AoEs) vs Susano forces you to interact with the party as a whole in super obvious ways.

The main issue is lakshimi mostly feels like everyone can fuck off and deal with mechanics on their own. (Even the cross AoEs) vs Susano forces you to interact with the party as a whole in super obvious ways.
Yeah. Lakshmi requires little coordination besides add phase, the only times a party member can get someone killed is if the OT fucks up with the aggro table during Chanchala and if people go near the healers during Divine Doubt.

It's basically just a big solo dance which is ironically fitting.

The takeaway currently seems to be don't bother with Crit at all for a long-ass time.

Until you can hit ~2800 crit, DHit is better.

From ~2400 to ~2800, Crit beats out Det, BUT that has to be ~2400 to ~2800 after you've already maxed out DHit, since any Crit meld you make over a Dhit option would be wasted damage.

Basically unless somebody blows this guy's math up, your priority for the foreseeable future is DHit -> Det - > Crit. Skillspeed goes somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

I think you're minimizing the fact that you also have to get to a high DHit threshold to get meaningful benefits vs Crit. For now as PLD, I'll keep going Crit -> DHit -> Det -> Ten/SS.

While Tenacity isn't great, it's not as bad as some thought.

Baliis

I forgot to mention that the music in this game is surprisingly great. Cant wait to hear more as I continue. :)

Yes, I usually turn the game music off in MMOs or stuff like Diablo where I just listen to my own music, but not FFXIV, I blast it loud.

It's near braindead tier easy, just need to know when to use vril and you win pretty much

As a DPS at least, you basically just use vril if she has chanchalla up and you don't have vril up. It lasts like 45 seconds? Long enough to get you to the next mechanic whenever you pop it anyways.

iammeiam

I think you're minimizing the fact that you also have to get to a high DHit threshold to get meaningful benefits vs Crit. For now as PLD, I'll keep going Crit -> DHit -> Det -> Ten/SS.

I'm not minimizing it, because that's the opposite of how these two secondaries scale.--You need to stack Crit to start getting meaningful benefits, and the breakpoints listed are the current estimates of how much Crit you need to stack to make it worth melding any. Crit will get more valuable as the expansion continues, but currently at the start it is the least valuable. Crit got an actual flat nerf in SB; it's down to 40% damage boost from the 45% it was at in HW, so you have to stack a bunch of Crit before you get back to where 0 additional Crit was in HW. They've kicked the 'worth it' can for Crit down the road.

DHit is linear. Stacking it doesn't do anything meaningful, and adding 40 DHit at 3,000 DHit is the exact same 1% DHit chance adding 40 DHit at 0 DHit is. It will get worse over the course of the expansion as Crit crosses thresholds and its gains overtake, but the entire point is that right now when secondary budgets are at their most limited, DHit is more valuable. As we progress down the road, if secondary inflation is high, Crit will eventually overtake it. But currently it's literally impossible to stack enough Crit to overtake DHit's linear scaling.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Dark Falz bosses aren't like hunts.

The closest analogue to them in this game would be a trial.

Damm you for continuing to bring up the Phantasy Star Online comparisons it just makes me salty that 5 year later after the "official announcement" we never got PSO2.

But yeah I wouldn't mind it if Square can implement limited window/time Trial into FFXIV something akin too the Emergency Quest of Dark Falz Loser. Heck they can make it so that a player must first complete a very hard dungeon and at the end of the dungeon you get a token if so.e kind and when the Limited Trials opens up you use a Token to enter the Trial.

Now that I think about it Emergency Quests are similar to hunts only in that they appear at random (for people who aren't trying to trigger them intentionally at least).

Hunts are just beating up slightly larger normal mobs that die really fast. EQs are like trials in that you get in a group and go to an instanced area to fight them. Some of them are pretty big/difficult.

Some random ones.

Dark Falz Double/Profound Darkness

Falz Mother

Phantom God of Creation

Damm you for continuing to bring up the Phantasy Star Online comparisons it just makes me salty that 5 year later after the "official announcement" we never got PSO2.

But yeah I wouldn't mind it if Square can implement limited window/time Trial into FFXIV something akin too the Emergency Quest of Dark Falz Loser. Heck they can make it so that a player must first complete a very hard dungeon and at the end of the dungeon you get a token if so.e kind and when the Limited Trials opens up you use a Token to enter the Trial.

I've played the JP version for a bit. I haven't played it in a long while though. The game is good and would have been great to play with more English players. They just need more things to break up the monotony. I liked EQs in PSO2 which is why I mentioned them here.

Timed content seems to be something that people enjoy in some capacity at least. I don't particularly mind doing hunts and it gives you an excuse to go to locations in the world that you otherwise wouldn't have any reason to go to.

Having some cool timed trials would be neat as I can imagine there would be a rush to do them as soon as they pop up provided they are implemented well.

studyguy

TEN will eventually be great as the scaling goes, but right now I'm not stressing capping out a 5% difference when we likely won't feel it.

MikeBison

So. Ermmmm. This happened.

First clear...

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

Wilsongt

Ixion can bite me.

He finally spawns and no one can teleport in.

Also, Foxy Lady's spawn conditions were just right and she still didn't spawn last night. Oh well, I just need to do Outfoxed twice. I only want the minion.

creid

Ixion can bite me.

He finally spawns and no one can teleport in.
You gotta port in beforehand like the people who have nothing better to do pros! Don't worry, even in the zone: half of the people were d/cing, half my party died due to lag, and despite being there from 90% until the kill we only got silver.

LowParry

Even as a bard, it's good to know what I should be putting in equipment pieces that come capped on crit.

What should bards be melding anyway? I'm still new to them but love the living hell out of the job. I'm still maining SCH though if by chance, if our static group loses a bard, I'm taking that spot hard.

Top Bottom