• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Edzi

Listening to people talk about this Ixion thing and I just can't fathom why anyone would go through that for something like a mount. A regular grind I can understand, but that just sounds like too much.

Squishy3

Denmo's Stormblood video is up. Some 4.0 stuff in it, obviously, but I continue to like his stuff for just how well put-together it is and how it serves as a pretty good travelogue for the expansion (For those who haven't seen them, Dance, Eorzea, Dance from ARR, and Keep Dancing, Eorzea for HW.)

It does cement that I continue to occupy the weird slot of preferring the SB zones to the HW zones by, like, a lot.
I really like the SB zones a lot too. Probably the only HW zones I have any fondness for are the Dravanian Forelands and the Hinterlands.

Delta 3 in duty finder makes me want to die.

Nobody can dodge anything and if your healers can't you're fucked.

I tried to explain a few of the mechanics before we started last night, as everyone but me and one other DPS were first timers, and they wouldn't wait -_-

we finished it but yeah, the tanks and healers died a lot

Baliis

I tried to explain a few of the mechanics before we started last night, as everyone but me and one other DPS were first timers, and they wouldn't wait -_-

we finished it but yeah, the tanks and healers died a lot

I didn't think it was too bad of a fight, but it can be a bit hard to tell where Ribbit is actually going to hit. I got frogged like 3 or 4 times that I thought I was totally out of it.

So when exactly in Lakshmi should the OT Provoke and get Shirked in order to get 2nd on the aggro list? I'm thinking about tanking it after already healing and dpsing.

wamberz1

So when exactly in Lakshmi should the OT Provoke and get Shirked in order to get 2nd on the aggro list? I'm thinking about tanking it after already healing and dpsing.
I generally do it while shes casting the tank buster. She usually does the path of light right after that, so it gives me some time to grab aggro.

I didn't think it was too bad of a fight, but it can be a bit hard to tell where Ribbit is actually going to hit. I got frogged like 3 or 4 times that I thought I was totally out of it.

It's really not and I was able to get it with one wipe the night of the update, but i was just doing it to get my piece lol.

If you're focusing on something else it is easy to get hit with Ribbit especially since the fan is wide.

So my static decided to run A12S at min ilvl today

All I gotta say is as a new healer the first phase has been a humbling experience.
I generally do it while shes casting the tank buster. She usually does the path of light right after that, so it gives me some time to grab aggro.
There's also one right after the first Divine Doubt IIRC

No idea how to deal with that one though

iammeiam

During the tank buster cast the OT should provoke, but then shirk the MT, not get shirked. The idea is you Provoke to jump to first, then shirk the MT so that you push him back into first. In theory every time you do this, the gap between second and third will grow.

Having the MT shirk threat to you can help if you're still somehow having threat issues, but you wouldn't generally want to marry that with the whole provoke+shirk tank buster, since the whole point of doing it during buster cast is that her primary target stays the same the whole time. MT would shirk you during random downtime, if for some reason the buster shirk+provoke wasn't enough to keep you second.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
thats essentially what FATEs are
I'd say the diadem boss fight is more like an EQ. Too bad they dumped it behind something no one wants to run.

It would have worked better as its own thing. Dump an NPC in some random town for 1 hour, have the weather change to signal the server that he's up, everyone scouts for him, and talking to him dumps your party into the fight. You only get 1 shot per spawn so if you mess up you'd have to wait till the next pop.

I gave in.

Today I became a carpenter. And somehow that was everything.

But then I had to become a botanist to gather wood.

And that ruined my night.

Clock out.

Pastry

Banned
So wait. Because I once tried the game and decided it wasn't for me when the trial ended I am no longer able to download the free trial version on the PS4? Well that's one way I don't try the game and purchase any of the expansion packs.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the once a week loot thing with Omega reset at the same time for everyone? Or is it once a week from your last attempt? Aka, will it reset tomorrow?

Also do you get verity for clearing Omega if it's not your first time? Guessing no.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does the once a week loot thing with Omega reset at the same time for everyone? Or is it once a week from your last attempt? Aka, will it reset tomorrow?

It's weekly reset and it's tuesday evening I think or was it early wednesday morning? it's when weeklies usually reset.

B.K.

Also do you get verity for clearing Omega if it's not your first time? Guessing no.

Everything with a weekly reset resets on Tuesday. You should get Tomestones every time you clear an Omega. You just won't get the first time bonus after you beat it once.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If anyone has leveled GSM, BSM and ARM, can you provide any tips? I have those and ALC left to 70 I think. Oh and LTW.

Sucks not having gil and leveling crafters.

Haly

If anyone has leveled GSM, BSM and ARM, can you provide any tips? I have those and ALC left to 70 I think. Oh and LTW.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...t02w0P3WeDydVRCWWzQiBoifuA/htmlview?sle=true#
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uhbsIBjpq1D__LFI7Ic3fQ-hL-oi2ornsXxlFmmL8sE/preview (you will need to adapt the macros here to suit your budget)

Then again I have lots of gil even if I'm pretty frugal.

Leves and GCs for me this expac, haven't done a single collectable yet though I hear they're also good. You can sell a lot of GC turn in stuff on those days that they're in demand, that's how I make a buck here or there while doing my daily turn-ins. It's probably too late for you at this point but I made extra spending money in SB by selling all my Materia VIs as soon as I got them while the market was healthy. After they introduced the tank queue materia the prices crashed, but they'll go back up for a bit tomorrow and every time new content comes out as people regear and remeld.

Gathering is also good money if you have those leveled up. As above, you want to see which mats people are using for their GC turn-ins/leve grinding, and then focus those for that day.

What are the best classes in the meta right now? I've been out of the game so long that I figured I should just start a new class from scratch to learn again. Leaning towards Healer or DPS since I used to main PLD.

iammeiam

Right around when stuff like this sounds like a good idea is when I know I'm fully ready for a new raid tier.

I have two of those three at 70 and the third is partially leveled; if you don't have miner leveled or a friend who is a miner, consider doing so. All three can be carried to 70 easily via leves that mostly rely on the same basic low-level SB mining items: Koppranickel Sand and Koppranickel Ore. You add boring old Iron Ore to Koppranickel Sand to create a High Steel Nugget (BSM leve turn-in starting at 60); combine the Hight Steel Nugget with Koppranickel Ore to create a High Steel Ingot (ARM turn-in that can carry you from 62-70.) GSM creates a Koppranickel Nugget by using Copper Ore instead of Iron Ore, and then uses Koppranickel Ore to make Koppranickel Ingots to ride from 62-70. It's a lot of crafting but it's cheap, fairly easy to macro once you're at-level, and the shared mats is super convenient.

These are the cheap methods intuit Mango7Rolls sheet; it's worth noting that if you do all the crafting yourself and do your class quests (you should; they're free and give you useful skills and a ton of XP) you'll need significantly fewer leves than the spreadsheet lists.

What are the best classes in the meta right now? I've been out of the game so long that I figured I should just start a new class from scratch to learn again. Leaning towards Healer or DPS since I used to main PLD.

AST, PLD, and BRD are all in good spots for what they are, but wait a week before trying to judge the meta. There are balance changes on the 18th that will be vaguely discussed on the 15th, that may shore up some weaker jobs in time for the Savage raid (or maybe they'll finally nerf balance and tilt essentially everyone day one, who knows.)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...t02w0P3WeDydVRCWWzQiBoifuA/htmlview?sle=true#
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uhbsIBjpq1D__LFI7Ic3fQ-hL-oi2ornsXxlFmmL8sE/preview (you will need to adapt the macros here to suit your budget)

Then again I have lots of gil even if I'm pretty frugal.

Leves and GCs for me this expac, haven't done a single collectable yet though I hear they're also good. You can sell a lot of GC turn in stuff on those days that they're in demand, that's how I make a buck here or there while doing my daily turn-ins. It's probably too late for you at this point but I made extra spending money in SB by selling all my Materia VIs as soon as I got them while the market was healthy. After they introduced the tank queue materia the prices crashed, but they'll go back up for a bit tomorrow and every time new content comes out as people regear and remeld.

Gathering is also good money if you have those leveled up. As above, you want to see which mats people are using for their GC turn-ins/leve grinding, and then focus those for that day.

Right around when stuff like this sounds like a good idea is when I know I'm fully ready for a new raid tier.

I have two of those three at 70 and the third is partially leveled; if you don't have miner leveled or a friend who is a miner, consider doing so. All three can be carried to 70 easily via leves that mostly rely on the same basic low-level SB mining items: Koppranickel Sand and Koppranickel Ore. You add boring old Iron Ore to Koppranickel Sand to create a High Steel Nugget (BSM leve turn-in starting at 60); combine the Hight Steel Nugget with Koppranickel Ore to create a High Steel Ingot (ARM turn-in that can carry you from 62-70.) GSM creates a Koppranickel Nugget by using Copper Ore instead of Iron Ore, and then uses Koppranickel Ore to make Koppranickel Ingots to ride from 62-70. It's a lot of crafting but it's cheap, fairly easy to macro once you're at-level, and the shared mats is super convenient.

These are the cheap methods intuit Mango7Rolls sheet; it's worth noting that if you do all the crafting yourself and do your class quests (you should; they're free and give you useful skills and a ton of XP) you'll need significantly fewer leves than the spreadsheet lists.

Thanks for the tips guys. My gatherers are all leveled to 70. Haven't bought HQ gear yet since I wanted to make it, which is slow going but I have to be cheap. Nice to see the three smithing jobs share some easy grinds. I can work on these while retainers work to bring back skins for leather.

Haly

I don't know if you're doing this already but just remember the opportunity cost of gathering stuff yourself. If Ruby Cotton Boll is 1400g pop and Koppranickel Sand is 800g, it makes more sense to grind Boll, sell it, then buy Sand. And if you can process that Boll into thread conveniently and quickly (or HQ it) faster than you can grind Boll, you see where I'm going with this?

Thanks for the tips guys. My gatherers are all leveled to 70. Haven't bought HQ gear yet since I wanted to make it, which is slow going but I have to be cheap. Nice to see the three smithing jobs share some easy grinds. I can work on these while retainers work to bring back skins for leather.

If you have retainers with gathering, koppranickel sand is one of the first ventures you get on miner which makes it pretty easy to get large amounts. Mostly I bought mine on the AH instead, investing a bit of money to get the mats to spam leves with, and then getting the money back later from quest rewards/selling the NQ mats I got. In the case of BSM though you want to keep the NQs to do ARM since they use those. I've been mostly spamming the cheap 3turn in leves like this, I did weaver with kudzu thread also and doing LTW with Tiger leather atm. I still have a few crafts to go and CUL is still 61 cause I don't even do the GC turn in everyday, only when it's something I can buy for cheap.

Also need to do MIN/BOT but I hate having to setup timers and then interupting whatever I'm doing to go grab a node, even though it's way more efficient that way. I capped fishing already and enjoyed it a lot more(also made quite a lot of money gathering False Scads for a full level with 20%gathering xp squad bonus and spamming GC 100k gathering xp things, then breaking down everything).

So far I'm 9m down on gold from when I started, but I haven't claimed any money out of my retainers yet, I'm waiting to see what's the end result. It looks like I have 20m or whatever on my retainers though. And that's with leveling gathering/crafting way later compared to hardcore ppl, since I didn't start until like a week ago or so, other than turning in NQ store bought items for GCs for a few days before. I also started with no gear at all almost, just HQ lvl 60 first tier white gear from HW release time(gatherers were actually in NQ lvl 55 gear).

Really like the new class quests for crafting though, not having to spend money on them is great.

Haly

I used to setup timers as well. Now I just keep garlandtools in the background and check once in a while whenever I feel like it, rather than obsessively watch timers.

k1t4j

Finished Stormblood last night, that royal menagerie fight is truly something special.

That ending was pretty cool and a bit sad because it's over...

Anyways do any of you
have any ideas who the masked ascian at the end could be? I hate cliffhangers like that, hahahaha

The end boss of Temple of the Fist was super awesome when he unleashed his ultimate attack and the last boss of Kugane palace was a pleasent surprise :)

AST, PLD, and BRD are all in good spots for what they are, but wait a week before trying to judge the meta. There are balance changes on the 18th that will be vaguely discussed on the 15th, that may shore up some weaker jobs in time for the Savage raid (or maybe they'll finally nerf balance and tilt essentially everyone day one, who knows.)

Great, thanks! AST seems kinda interesting, so I'll start by working in that direction while waiting for the balance change.

MikeBison

Just got up to realise that no, it was not a dream. I did get a doggo mount on my first Susano Ex clear.

Can quit the game now.

Everytime I'm tempted to play a DPS class I remember DPS queues compared to healers queues. I mean healer queues have only gotten faster if anything to a point that I'm hearing my controller chime before I'm able to release the button after starting duty finder.

I now have a horribly warped sense of queue times where I cannot imagine waiting 20+ minutes for a queue to pop as DPS.

But I REALLY want to level my Bard from 50 but not via PoTD.

Everytime I'm tempted to play a DPS class I remember DPS queues compared to healers queues. I mean healer queues have only gotten faster if anything to a point that I'm hearing my controller chime before I'm able to release the button after starting duty finder.

I now have a horribly warped sense of queue times where I cannot imagine waiting 20+ minutes for a queue to pop as DPS.

Not just DF, PF looks like a nightmare for DPS as well.

I really wanted to play BRD but I ain't got the time for that so I'm just gonna run healing/tanking this expac.

MikeBison

Honestly found them not too bad. Pop a queue and then go do some mining.

They are a lot better now than they were a few weeks ago. I was getting 12ish minutes for Shisui last night when it used to be like, 40.

Really depends on what you're doing. If you're trying to chain dungeons it's pretty annoying to have 20mins queues, if you're just doing one dungeon run for the daily or whatever, you can go do some other daily stuff inbetween just fine. Like sometimes I'll do my expert roulette on ninja cause I don't want to heal and it's fairly ok. But I wouldn't do my weekly omega raids on ninja cause it takes like 4-12queues in a row and fuck waiting 20mins everytime when I get instantly in on healer(plus this way I guarantee shit isn't going too poorly, since I can more or less solo heal all the fights even in my garbo gear, while if I queue with DPS and get 2 bad healers, stuff is going to be a pain).

As for no potd, I tried doing a HW dungeon on my WHM with 100% armory and it was like the same as a potd run, but took twice as long. It's just terrible to not do potd until 60, which is pretty annoying since I'm starting to hate potd, but at the same time I don't have that much potd left, classes left can rot until a new leveling system is added, only have 2runs on WHM and then bard from 54 to 60.

They are a lot better now than they were a few weeks ago. I was getting 12ish minutes for Shisui last night when it used to be like, 40.

SB leveling dungeons have been fast for me as DPS since like 1week and a half ago or so. Once the first rush of DPS leveled, a lot of people switched to their tanks/healers and stuff. I generally get 10-15mins queues in the lvling dungeons, other than Castrum which varies a lot(since ppl stop queuing once they hit 70).

IIRC dungeon XP took a hit when POTD was introduced.

Really, beyond roulletes there's no point to pre 60 dungeons. 51-59 don't even give WT stickers anymore once you hit 70

R0ckman

Insane that pre-SB crafted items aren't dropping in price some of them are the same as 60-70 items. Ah well at least I can easily make money since my gatheres are 70 now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Insane that pre-SB crafted items aren't dropping in price some of them are the same as 60-70 items. Ah well at least I can easily make money since my gatheres are 70 now.

Those would be gathered less with a new expansion out. The supply would be lower.

adversarial

Provoke right after the tankbuster. I've never had to use Shirk yet this expansion. I actually just found out what it was. Some of the abilities in this game kind of make me chuckle.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Provoke right after the tankbuster. I've never had to use Shirk yet this expansion. I actually just found out what it was. Some of the abilities in this game kind of make me chuckle.

Whaaaa? Shirk is amazing! No reason not to have it in fights with tank swaps...or if that PuG healer is getting a little lippy >_>

Top Bottom