• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Astral Fire no longer having zero tick is massively annoying and makes BLM gamelplay significantly more strict. Losing timer right as the cast goes off? Feels bad, man.

Which is inconsistent with BRD as in BRD's case refreshing DoTs became ever easier because IJ no longer has a cast time associated.

It's like the dev team forgets adjustments they themselves did every time they do something new. The meme bars were a mistake.

LaneDS

For leveling crafting jobs 50-60, should I just focus on the Moogle quests? Haven't touched those yet but that seems to be the way to go.

The NIN set comes close, but I'm not sure even that example hits the breakpoint, and it's sort of misleading in general because they went to a gear level where nobody has any choices, and picked the job with the most native crit. In practice we'll have gear choices at-level, and the most relevant thing to come out of this is that the HW prevailing instinct of 'whatever has crit on it' isn't the clear winner. Unless everybody ends up with both raid and tome gear having crit on them, it should end up being possible to gear around crit and thus not be forced into melding crit.

There's still no Dhit minimum--it's linear and expressly receives absolutely no benefit from any other Dhit you already have. Adding 40 Dhit to a 0 Dhit build is the exact same overall damage gain as adding 40 Dhit to a 3000 Dhit build. It's how much crit you have is the deciding factor in the breakpoint, irrespective of how much dhit you have--adding 40 crit to a 4,000 crit build is substantially more valuable than 40 on a 0 crit build and thus crit has to be considered in relationship to how much you already have. But that's not ever going to be a concern for DHit.
That wasn't the point I was making.

I was offering a hypothetical where your gear gave you a 8% crit chance and a 6% DHit chance (0.08*40 > 0.06*20). In this scenario, you'd get more out of melding crit than DHit.

While this situation isn't going to be the case in 4.0-1 unless the Omega gear has a ton of crit, I did think it is still beneficial despite being nerfed a bit.

So messing around with parsing on BLM I've found some interesting information. It appears Fire IV isn't always the way to go. Utilizing Fire with enochian up and firing off thunder and firestarter procs actually is a minimal dps loss and in some cases even a increase depending on rng. This is also helpful in mechanic heavy fights where with fire and the procs you gain increased mobility due to the instant cast.

It's kind of funny honestly, I've found myself doing higher dps in some of the omega fights with the fire rotation adding in blizzard IV too obviously. Wonder if they're going to mess around with potency at all.

iammeiam

That wasn't the point I was making.

I was offering a hypothetical where your gave you a 8% crit chance and a 6% DHit chance (0.08*40 > 0.06*20). In this scenario, you'd get more out of melding crit than DHit.

While this situation isn't going to be the case in 4.0-1 unless the Omega gear has a ton of crit, I did think it is still beneficial despite being nerfed a bit.

But you do explicitly try to make a point about needing to stack DHit , specifically this bit:
While DHit is linear, you still need to get a large enough minimum for its percentage to be far ahead of crit.

Is a reference to a nonexistent DHit minimum. It's interesting largely in that the whole thing with DHit and why it will at some point inevitably fall behind is because the value of adding it operates in a vacuum.

There's a lot of interesting sliding factors in what will ultimately get melded, but it's largely a function of how much crit various jobs end up 'stuck' with from what we've seen. It's mostly interesting to me as a fundamental mindset shift--We ended HW with everyone chasing crit, and SB is starting from the perspective of only melding crit if your itemization over the 4.0-4.1 raid tier forces you into a crit build and otherwise only grudgingly taking crit if no better options.

It's largely that there was safe autopilot gearing and meld advice at the end of HW which is no longer going to hold true in many cases--it's not just that DHit is better on its own, it's that Det also has an edge at lower crit levels. It's still not super complicated gearing, but it will require a little more thought that we've had recently which is nice.

Got gold on Ixion.... since I missed last spawn. This fate is too big, honestly. It is crazy how much the server lags/crashes. People can get there in the middle of the fate and suffer the chance of not getting rewarded. Early pullers certainly dont help. You got to be there early in the instance or you're pretty much screwed.

Got gold on Ixion.... since I missed last spawn. This fate is too big, honestly. It is crazy how much the server lags/crashes. People can get there in the middle of the fate and suffer the chance of not getting rewarded. Early pullers certainly dont help. You got to be there early in the instance or you're pretty much screwed.

Worst part of the design is the whole requiring 6gold to get the reward. If it was done in 1 or 2 like most of the other similar stuff, people wouldn't feel the need to crowd it as much.

rezn0r

Astral Fire no longer having zero tick is massively annoying and makes BLM gamelplay significantly more strict. Losing timer right as the cast goes off? Feels bad, man.

I started using BLM again for the first time since 1.0 a few weeks ago to get ready for SB and it's now my highest - as I go through the MSQ with it. This is so god damn infuriating to me, I mean I wasn't positive this changed from 3.x, but apparently it did. So annoying!!!!!!!

Bebpo

Banned
For leveling crafting jobs 50-60, should I just focus on the Moogle quests? Haven't touched those yet but that seems to be the way to go.

Definitely the cheapest way and there's actually some good quests in there (exploding kupo nut) and the main story is nice. With flying it takes about 8-12 mins to do all 3 each day so it's quick, but eventually it gets pretty draining like everything else repetitive imo. It starts out paying like 1/3rd a level early on at 51, but by 59 it's 1/12th a level.

Still I'm stingy about my gil and unwilling to use turn-in leeves, or grind collectibles that pay 100k xp over and over, so it works. All my crafters were around 50 at SB's release and doing it every day & crafting my daily GC turn in for 3 weeks they're all around 55 now.

We did VIT for A4S / A8S I believe.
That kind of tuning will likely never happen again.

If you're going AST / SCH, crit will work well for both. You can fill in Spellspeed or Piety if needed on pieces that are maxed on crit. I haven't touched DHIT yet.

Cool thanks for the tips! So would you recommend not gemming vit in accessories now?

chogidogs

The Royal Menagerie is really kicking my ass. Doesn't help that 1 or 2 people will come in blind and make it harder for the rest of us.

Atolm

Man I hope they add soon Palace for leveling up to 70, I wanted to level up a dps to spice up things a little (I'm AST/SCH 70) but what a pain, no way I'm leveling like this, I think the key is to level up first a DPS via quests and then tanks/healers through dungeons.

Ruff

Weird, my astal timer refreshes around halfway into the cast bar.

kaze343

During the tank buster cast the OT should provoke, but then shirk the MT, not get shirked. The idea is you Provoke to jump to first, then shirk the MT so that you push him back into first. In theory every time you do this, the gap between second and third will grow.

Having the MT shirk threat to you can help if you're still somehow having threat issues, but you wouldn't generally want to marry that with the whole provoke+shirk tank buster, since the whole point of doing it during buster cast is that her primary target stays the same the whole time. MT would shirk you during random downtime, if for some reason the buster shirk+provoke wasn't enough to keep you second.

most players i have seen do shirk first, then provoke. doing it the other way ends up with the OT being 5th or so on hate, and me dead on sam or rdm.

Man I hope they add soon Palace for leveling up to 70, I wanted to level up a dps to spice up things a little (I'm AST/SCH 70) but what a pain, no way I'm leveling like this, I think the key is to level up first a DPS via quests and then tanks/healers through dungeons.

Wish I found this out before.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The Royal Menagerie is really kicking my ass. Doesn't help that 1 or 2 people will come in blind and make it harder for the rest of us.
Keep at it. It's easily the toughest story mode boss at the moment, but it clicks after a while.

Don't forget that Sprint is free now, so don't be afraid to pop it if you need to move somewhere fast.
most players i have seen do shirk first, then provoke. doing it the other way ends up with the OT being 5th or so on hate, and me dead on sam or rdm.
I've just been watching the other tank and provoking when they start their aggro combo. That way I get aggro, and the MT gets aggro back right away because they follow up with an aggro attack and I don't.

I imagine Shirk + Provoke would really help if both tanks are in OT stance though.

adversarial

"You may only purchase one job specific Tales of Adventure item per service account. Moreover, this item can only be used on one character."

If I wanted to boost a Warrior AND a PLD, on one account, one character, I could do that, right?

Unless I am misreading the above quote.

Guess Who

Banned
"You may only purchase one job specific Tales of Adventure item per service account. Moreover, this item can only be used on one character."

If I wanted to boost a Warrior AND a PLD, on one account, one character, I could do that, right?

Unless I am misreading the above quote.

You can only purchase one job boost per account, period.

MogCakes

In a game where you can have separate first and last names, the possibilities for great names are endless.

But everyone picks random japanese names.

1bb778.gif
My name is a noun

scy

Shirk -> Provoke means trying to build a bigger gap for the MT from the DPS but then makes the MT/OT situation as one of them riding the other. If they're both full time DPSing, that makes the situation about as bad as possible? If the MT is in tank stance / threat comboing, sure, but this situation is already covered by Provoke -> Shirk anyway without any of the edge cases.

For Shirk to dump them that low on threat, they're doing it way too early or the gap between MT and DPS in threat is minimal at best. In which case, you just Provoke during the TB (/Doubt cast) and Shirk after the marker. You don't need to be second the whole time, just the specific window.

Wazzy

Banned
Oh wow Lakshmi is so much easier than Susano it's insane. I mean, I'm totally happy about it but the difference is huge.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It takes some time, but moogle quests are the easy way to level 50-60. Do your daily GC turn-ins and job quests and it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks per job. Faster if you do some leves along with it.

Luminaire

Just started listening to the Mogtalk podcast. Interesting conversations about the state of raiding with an Elysian member. Any other decent FFXIV podcasts? Currently have this and State of the Realm. I'd like to avoid cringey crap (like Overwatchers for...Overwatch.)

I'm having a hell of a time going through the PF to get a Lakshmi EX clear. There's been no shortage of learning parties but every single one of them ends up disbanding after 2 wipes.

I figured it'd still be rough going despite everybody saying it's really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for how rough it'd be.

Wilsongt

I'm having a hell of a time going through the PF to get a Lakshmi EX clear. There's been no shortage of learning parties but every single one of them ends up disbanding after 2 wipes.

I figured it'd still be rough going despite everybody saying it's really easy, but I wasn't quite prepared for how rough it'd be.

All of the people who know how to do more than press buttons finished up EX primals within a week of launch, got their weapons/accessories/dogs and moved on.

All that are left are scrubs or people who don't have free time to play a lot.

Just started listening to the Mogtalk podcast. Interesting conversations about the state of raiding with an Elysian member. Any other decent FFXIV podcasts? Currently have this and State of the Realm. I'd like to avoid cringey crap (like Overwatchers for...Overwatch.)

They're a bit cynical for me, but also probably the best to listen. State of the Realm and Phoenix Down Radio are the only other two I know of.

Baliis

It's not a hard fight really, but it still took me about a day off going in and out of groups to get a kill. Several groups had the mechanics down, but not the DPS sadly enough, that was prob the hardest part.

I have two Lakshmi "kills" recorded and one is like a 9.5minute kill, the other is an enrage wipe at 20%, saddest thing I've ever seen.

Alrus

All of the people who know how to do more than press buttons finished up EX primals within a week of launch, got their weapons/accessories/dogs and moved on.

All that are left are scrubs or people who don't have free time to play a lot.

I joined a "clear for a friend" PF a few days ago and ended up clearing first try, guess I got super lucky.

Edit: Then again it was a party without any sort of ridiculous ilvl requirement and no passive aggressive message in it.

It's not a hard fight really, but it still took me about a day off going in and out of groups to get a kill. Several groups had the mechanics down, but not the DPS sadly enough, that was prob the hardest part.

I have two Lakshmi "kills" recorded and one is like a 9.5minute kill, the other is an enrage wipe at 20%, saddest thing I've ever seen.

Yeah I've hit the enrage a couple of times at this point, the annoying thing is that it generally comes due to a few sloppy mistakes that could likely be avoided on another run but the group generally disbands after seeing an enrage.
It's very hit or miss. I got my first clear at a learning party where everyone picked up things super quickly, and we cleared in like 4 pulls. It helped that there were two experienced players who joined the party just to help.

Then I made a "clear" party where we wiped once and everyone left immediately.

I've been making PFs that just say "trap party omgomgomgomgomgomogmg" and somehow those have always been successful clear/farm parties, full of people who are chill and know what they're doing.

I actually just got pretty close with a group that had an experienced person in it, we hit about 20% and then path of light ended up on a healer and then it quickly fell apart and was followed by the group disbanding. I think I'll definitely get a clear by the weekend and I'm not really too bothered by running it repeatedly, I just wish that learning groups would stick around for more than 2 wipes, especially when we're normally really close to a clear on that second wipe.

MikeBison

My scandalous good luck has continued through to tonight where I got 4 items from a simple delta1-4 run no wipes.

All happened to be the exact things I needed and ended the night i315.

LaneDS

Appreciate the responses on the 50-60 crafting grind. I've been pretty diligent getting my crafting levels to 50 which has been quick but expensive (doing leves where I can and quick synthing quite a bit, which is inefficient money wise but gets me there). Sounds like 50-60 will be slow going compared to the 25-50, which is where I had left most of my crafters.

Couldn't actually tell you why I'm doing any of it, but I'm interested in capping crafters/gatherers either way.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just hit 30 and did Haukke Manor. What a great dungeon.

Definitely the peak of the game so far. Great instance and story. Huge leap above WoW's low level instances.

Thorgal

no matter how many times i do it i always get surprised by the incoming damage in Stone vigil while tanking .

did not have the balls to drop grit in there except for bosses .

mdzapeer

So its agreed, Final Fantasy 14 is the best Final Fantasy of this generation/s right?

Cause it feels like it to me, been ages since I played a final fantasy game this good (or most games). Story, music and gameplay.

....Still waiting for FF15 PC version, so I cant compare to that.

Top Bottom