• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

TheExodu5

Banned
So its agreed, Final Fantasy 14 is the best Final Fantasy of this generation/s right?

Cause it feels like it to me, been ages since I played a final fantasy game this good (or most games). Story, music and gameplay.

....Still waiting for FF15 PC version, so I cant compare to that.

Best soundtrack since FF X for sure, and probably since FF VII for my own tastes.

Gameplay wise it's hard to compare. I'm still early on, and it hasn't had that many highs in my 30 hours of playing so far. But that's an MMO for you. And I expect the quality and level of engagement to be much higher the closer I get to SB.

Alright. Got MNK to 62. I should be able to ditch a bunch of gear soonish if I keep at it. My armory chest filled up pret-ty much instantly. =-=

aceface

So its agreed, Final Fantasy 14 is the best Final Fantasy of this generation/s right?

Cause it feels like it to me, been ages since I played a final fantasy game this good (or most games). Story, music and gameplay.

Let's get crazy...best Final Fantasy ever?

Maybe not, but for the foreseeable future FFXIV is where the series lives. Every FF fan owes it to themselves to at least try it out.

I actually find the story as a whole to be a charming throwback to the stories in the NES/SNES games.

Luminaire

Alright. Got MNK to 62. I should be able to ditch a bunch of gear soonish if I keep at it. My armory chest filled up pret-ty much instantly. =-=

This is why I'm ditching my plan of spacing out healers, tanks, and dps leveling. I'm going to do as much of the same as possible so I can shed the gear.

YOU AINT GETTIN ANYMORE OF MY RETAINER MONEY SE, 5 IS ENOUGH

The story and music are enjoyable.

Gameplay is a bit meh. The way the combat is designed at a basic level in this game puts it back a bunch of points but there's enough other +points that still makes me want to play it over MMOs with better combat.

This is why I'm ditching my plan of spacing out healers, tanks, and dps leveling. I'm going to do as much of the same as possible so I can shed the gear.

YOU AINT GETTIN ANYMORE OF MY RETAINER MONEY SE, 5 IS ENOUGH

It also helps t hat my retainer is a Monk, and the second one is a botanist. So leveling Monk will let me push my retainer's level up, too.

MattyG

Banned
So I just resubbed, got Stormblood, and restarted a character that I intend to stick with (I've played before, made it to about level 15 before I stopped).

I'm pretty new to MMOs and always become overwhelmed by content, feel like I'll never reach the endgame, and end up dropping it. This is probably a bit broad of a question for such a huge game, but any tips or links to good guides for a beginner who is kind of intimidated?

IvorB

Now it looks like I'm getting timeouts right at the beginning of my tracert to the servers. It's just weird that it doesn't happen for any other game, and it didn't affect me a few months ago.

Might have to just give up on being able to play it, which sucks. I'll try messing around with the router when I have access to it (it's in my downstairs' neighbor's place).

Have you checked for Wifi interference? If there are many routers in the area and they are all on the same channel this will really destroy your signal. This has happened to me. You need to change the channel the signal is on. You can check this with an app called Wifi Analyzer. It will show you what channel all the signals in your area are on so you can see which ones are clear. This is assuming routers there work the same as in the UK.

Zomba13

Did the Deltascape with mostly GAF earlier and it was fun. I look forward to whatever is next.

Anyone else think maybe the next tier will be FFVII (speculation based one the c/s after beating v4)
Omega mentions the loss of a comrade or something to induce more stress in us to get us to perform better and I think they either do that by faking out a death with one of the Ironworks members OR they introduce Aerith as a companion and then have Sephiroth swoop down and kill her v8.

B.K.

Anyone else think maybe the next tier will be FFVII (speculation based one the c/s after beating v4)
Omega mentions the loss of a comrade or something to induce more stress in us to get us to perform better and I think they either do that by faking out a death with one of the Ironworks members OR they introduce Aerith as a companion and then have Sephiroth swoop down and kill her v8.

I think Omega already did that when you find Biggs and Wedge unconscious in the control room. I believe Omega said something about it's objective being complete.

Kent

Did the Deltascape with mostly GAF earlier and it was fun. I look forward to whatever is next.

More FFV stuff could just as well come from that cutscene.

So I just resubbed, got Stormblood, and restarted a character that I intend to stick with (I've played before, made it to about level 15 before I stopped).

I'm pretty new to MMOs and always become overwhelmed by content, feel like I'll never reach the endgame, and end up dropping it. This is probably a bit broad of a question for such a huge game, but any tips or links to good guides for a beginner who is kind of intimidated?
Stormblood actually helps with that - it now shows in the corner of the screen what the next main quest you should do is. So if you ever feel overwhelmed, just do that.

However, here's how the progression flow really works - once the main story quests take you out of your starting town, it generally has you go to a new village-like region, which acts as your home base for a bit. So go there and collect all the side quests offered in that little region, go out and do them, then return to the village to turn them in. More quests may show up, collect them again and go do them again. Repeat until you only have the main story quest leading you out of that village, and it takes you to the next one. It's a "bread crumb" mechanic, leading you from place to place as you get to know the world.

That's basically how it works, if you follow that pattern you shouldn't get overwhelmed. Of course there are a lot of optional things you can do, such as FATES, leveling a crafting or gathering job, side quest lines or whatever, but don't feel pressured to do those if you don't want to, you only really need to follow the story from region to region as it has you explore the world.

They've pretty much mined
FFV for bosses that would be appropriate here other than Gilgamesh. I wouldn't be surprised if the next two tiers are themed after games other than V.

Which means they could conceivably blow through the Sephiroth and Kafka nostalgia bomb by the end of the raid.

If they're willing to stick Exdeath in there then there's no reason why they can't do Kefka and Sephiroth too. Or any of the other final bosses for FF games. But if they go with the same setup, that is 3 random bosses then one final that really only leaves room for one more since I imagine the last boss of the last tier will be Omega.

Zomba13

FFV for bosses that would be appropriate here other than Gilgamesh. I wouldn't be surprised if the next two tiers are themed after games other than V.

Yeah, I don't think we'll have more from FFV, especially when we've had
Exdeath, Shinryu and (I assume for last) Omega.
. Seems a bit weird to go back to that well when all it's top content has been used. I mean, Gilgamesh could come back for a third time but beyond that I dunno.

I'd rather they use this as an excuse to mine other FF games that maybe wouldn't work having their own themed thing, like how FFIII had the Crystal Tower stuff and FFT/FFXII is getting the Ivalice stuff and FFVI had the warring triad. I can't see something like FFVII fitting in well but a virtual world where the enemies are from other dimensions or made up from stories can mean they can throw anything they want and have it work without devoting a full arc or trying to make it fit as an Eorzean version.

Luminaire

If they're willing to stick Exdeath in there then there's no reason why they can't do Kefka and Sephiroth too. Or any of the other final bosses for FF games. But if they go with the same setup, that is 3 random bosses then one final that really only leaves room for one more since I imagine the last boss of the last tier will be Omega.

I would love it if they didn't theme the entire tier towards one game, but instead had notable bosses from FF games for each 'floor'. We'll have 7 slots left and then Omega!

pls i just want to fight ultimecia and griever

Alex

The story and music are enjoyable.

Gameplay is a bit meh. The way the combat is designed at a basic level in this game puts it back a bunch of points but there's enough other +points that still makes me want to play it over MMOs with better combat.

Problem with MMOs with less traditional combat is that there isn't a single one that does anything other than combat right, and even then the combat is still not what their fans will sell it as. Tera is chief in this regard.

Stormblood I think is one of the better playing traditional MMOs we've had, so I'm pleased with it as I like that. I bitched a lot in ARR, though, I really wasn't as smitten with ARR as some others were in retrospect. I mean it was better than 1.0, by a large margin but... what fucking wasn't? 1.0 had nothing other than the Uematsu music.

There's still
more Demons to draw from: Azulmagia, the real Melusine (we got the real Halicarnassus so she's fair game), Necrophobe, Triton/Nereid/Phobos and Wendigo

With that said, the way the Omega story was worded I do think the next tier will be based on a different FF game

Luigi87

There certainly are a lot of lv.67 MSQ, but considering where I'm coming up to
Lakshmi
, I imagine I'm nearing the lv. 68 MSQs.

Stormblood is so damn enjoyable. I dunno if I like it more, less, or equal to Heavensward currently, lol

I will say as far as Heroic themes are, I do prefer HW's "Stone and Steel" over SB's comparable theme.

CrazyHal

Titan extreme has become the bain of my existence. I just want to beat him once! Just once! But i can't. Either i die or my teammates die. Every.Single.Time.

MattyG

Banned
Stormblood actually helps with that - it now shows in the corner of the screen what the next main quest you should do is. So if you ever feel overwhelmed, just do that.

However, here's how the progression flow really works - once the main story quests take you out of your starting town, it generally has you go to a new village-like region, which acts as your home base for a bit. So go there and collect all the side quests offered in that little region, go out and do them, then return to the village to turn them in. More quests may show up, collect them again and go do them again. Repeat until you only have the main story quest leading you out of that village, and it takes you to the next one. It's a "bread crumb" mechanic, leading you from place to place as you get to know the world.

That's basically how it works, if you follow that pattern you shouldn't get overwhelmed. Of course there are a lot of optional things you can do, such as FATES, leveling a crafting or gathering job, side quest lines or whatever, but don't feel pressured to do those if you don't want to, you only really need to follow the story from region to region as it has you explore the world.
This helps a lot, thanks! I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of the community, can't wait to keep playing!

Wilsongt

Eh. Plenty of FFV bosses left.

Azulmagia, Gogo, Magisa, Necrophobe Omniscient, Triton/Nereid/Phobos, Neo ExDeath, Omega....

Squishy3

Eh. Plenty of FFV bosses left.

Azulmagia, Gogo, Magisa, Necrophobe Omniscient, Triton/Nereid/Phobos, Neo ExDeath, Omega....
Re: One of those:
They confirmed there's an extra phase in Savage for Omega 4, so that's probably Neo-Exdeath, ala how Brute Justice had an extra form when you got him to 0% in Savage.

duckroll

Yes but that says more about Final Fantasy this generation than it does for FFXIV unfortunately. :(

YoshiP's team did their job in bringing a solid FF experience to the online space and seem to know what makes FF as a franchise great. The other teams.... fell short.

CLBridges

Everytime I run content with SAM or RDM I have a blast playing them. I feel that they got the gameplay and rotation right on the money with them, and I'm only level 55. I've heard they are great at 70.

Thinking way ahead (5.0), I do hope they release a job completely original to FFXIV. Now that the two most requested jobs are out, I wanna see some off the wall oddball job lol.

Stormblood did the impossible and made me enjoy tanking again for the first time since Cataclysm. I love the feeling of popping into a party finder party of two dps and getting them instant queues and knowing I made their day alittle better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
8NJXqhP.png

That was a lot easier than ARR and HW.

wig

Just got the complete edition from the Target sale. How does the friend referral thing work? I'm interested in the free loot.

Just got the complete edition from the Target sale. How does the friend referral thing work? I'm interested in the free loot.

Someone gives you a code you redeem the code on the mogstation the account site and it gives you the loot and recruiter gets items as well.

Qvoth

So messing around with parsing on BLM I've found some interesting information. It appears Fire IV isn't always the way to go. Utilizing Fire with enochian up and firing off thunder and firestarter procs actually is a minimal dps loss and in some cases even a increase depending on rng. This is also helpful in mechanic heavy fights where with fire and the procs you gain increased mobility due to the instant cast.

It's kind of funny honestly, I've found myself doing higher dps in some of the omega fights with the fire rotation adding in blizzard IV too obviously. Wonder if they're going to mess around with potency at all.

pro blms have found out that blizzard 4 is NOT worth using in your rotations
i think it's only good when you have convert so you can have 8 fire 4s, that's it

someone on reddit mentioned that 2.X rotation is like less than 10% dps output than current rotation too

You can only purchase one job boost per account, period.

this limitation only lasts until 4.1

Haly

Unless you're capped on Leves, I wouldn't use them below lvl 30 for any DoH or DoL.

pro blms have found out that blizzard 4 is NOT worth using in your rotations
i think it's only good when you have convert so you can have 8 fire 4s, that's it

someone on reddit mentioned that 2.X rotation is like less than 10% dps output than current rotation too
Its like every day BLM gets shittier

By monday people will figure out that ice mages are the top DPS rotation at this rate
Unless you're capped on Leves, I wouldn't use them below lvl 30 for any DoH or DoL.
Yeah, just go through your craft/gathering logs doing one of each plus your job quests

But Botanist is too boring to level up. >.<

And I don't see the point of doing low level Leves at level 30 and beyond. The exp gain would be irrelevant and not worth the trouble.

duckroll

Re: One of those:
They confirmed there's an extra phase in Savage for Omega 4, so that's probably Neo-Exdeath, ala how Brute Justice had an extra form when you got him to 0% in Savage.

Neo-Exdeath isn't a form, it's a totally different boss. Like, seriously. They would never do something like that for a totally optional for hardcore only Savage run. He'll have cool new attacks and patterns, but they're not building a totally unique 3D Neo-Exdeath model just for Savage players. He'll be a boss in one of the later Omega tiers, and each of his parts will be a separate target, just like in FFV. :p

Haly

But Botanist is too boring to level up. >.<

Well that's the point. While leveling Botanist might feel slow 1-20, it's mollasses paced 40-50 UNLESS you go full Leves. So what I'm really saying is to conserve your leves for when they're really worthwhile.

Aizo

Banned
Got an email for the Welcome Back campaign. The restrictions listed in Japanese are bullshit.
Square Enix said:
&#23550;&#35937;&#26465;&#20214;

- 2017&#24180;1&#26376;15&#26085;&#65288;&#26085;&#65289;&#20197;&#21069;&#12395;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12490;&#12523;&#12501;&#12449;&#12531;&#12479;&#12472;&#12540;XIV&#12398;&#12469;&#12540;&#12499;&#12473;&#12450;&#12459;&#12454;&#12531;&#12488;&#12434;&#22865;&#32004;&#12375;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12290;
- 2017&#24180;1&#26376;16&#26085;&#65288;&#26376;&#65289;&#65374;2017&#24180;6&#26376;11&#26085;&#65288;&#26085;&#65289;&#12398;&#38291;&#12395;&#12289;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12490;&#12523;&#12501;&#12449;&#12531;&#12479;&#12472;&#12540;XIV&#12398;&#12521;&#12531;&#12481;&#12515;&#12540;&#12391;&#12289;&#12473;&#12463;&#12454;&#12455;&#12450;&#12539;&#12456;&#12491;&#12483;&#12463;&#12473;&#12450;&#12459;&#12454;&#12531;&#12488;&#12434;&#20837;&#21147;&#12375;&#12289;&#12300;&#12525;&#12464;&#12452;&#12531;&#12301;&#12434;&#12463;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463;&#12375;&#12390;&#12356;&#12394;&#12356;&#12290;
If you even click Login, even if you don't have service, you're ineligible. Hopefully I'm being too literal, and they just mean you shouldn't have clicked and subsequently successfully logged in.

Also, my friend invited me for the Callback Campaign to play for one week free, but I'm not receiving the e-mail. Anybody else have issues with this? I should be eligible for that one.

grimmiq

How is RDM at 70? I've been a LNC/DRG main since 1.0, first time I'm really feeling underwhelmed.

Also regarding gathering, I got FSH to 60 without ever catching a fish..Just doing Grand Company provisions every day.

grimmiq

Try it in PoTD 50+, you'll get a good feel for it. It plays almost the same at 70.

Should've clarified, mine's 65 at the moment, I meant more in the lvl70 raid/dungeon space, I rarely see them, always lots of SAM, rarely RDM. I'm amassing a collection of Omega parts, should be able to get 3-4 pieces next week, also have 70PLD, so gearing up to 310 would be pretty quick.

Neo-Exdeath isn't a form, it's a totally different boss. Like, seriously. They would never do something like that for a totally optional for hardcore only Savage run. He'll have cool new attacks and patterns, but they're not building a totally unique 3D Neo-Exdeath model just for Savage players. He'll be a boss in one of the later Omega tiers, and each of his parts will be a separate target, just like in FFV. :p

Someone datamined and found Neo Exdeath's theme in the game. It's definitely possible I think.

Also if I remember correctly from Mr. Happy's video when you beat a boss in the game the combat log displays that you defeated them. However it doesn't do this for Exdeath.

Everytime I run content with SAM or RDM I have a blast playing them. I feel that they got the gameplay and rotation right on the money with them, and I'm only level 55. I've heard they are great at 70.

Thinking way ahead (5.0), I do hope they release a job completely original to FFXIV. Now that the two most requested jobs are out, I wanna see some off the wall oddball job lol.

Samurai gets amazing at 62 when kenki becomes much easier to gain and then it's Shinten spam for days. RDM and SAM flow much better than everything else I've played. They need to take the people who worked on Bard, Paladin, SAM, and RDM, and put them to task working on the other jobs.

ebil

Should've clarified, mine's 65 at the moment, I meant more in the lvl70 raid/dungeon space, I rarely see them, always lots of SAM, rarely RDM. I'm amassing a collection of Omega parts, should be able to get 3-4 pieces next week, also have 70PLD, so gearing up to 310 would be pretty quick.
Still not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. If you want to know whether they're strong, they are. Great damage, good utility, a rotation that's very difficult to completely mess up. They're probably going to be a very strong pick for progression raiding. They do well in dungeons too. Their AoE isn't absurd but they hold on really well.

Keep in mind that next week's patch will be a balance patch so it's kind of difficult to pass judgement right now. What's true today may not be next Tuesday.

To be honest I've had a RDM in every single Omega party when I farmed it today. I even got 4 in an O4!

Ruff

I feel like such a twat watching story cutscenes in dungeons when everybody else is clearly just wanting to get on with their Duty Roulette done with lol.

Top Bottom