• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

grimmiq

Is there a way to make macro icons change based on procs? Like how in PvP the auto combo things change the icon, use action 1, icon changes to action 2.

chogidogs

FINALLY NAILED DOWN ROYAL MENAGERIE!

Such an awesome feeling! Everybody was on point and it was great! Also, food and materia (even IV ones) really made a huge difference. Wish I learned/did it sooner.

Any RDM that helps raise gets brownie points in my book especially when they help after a string in which the healers have both already raised two dps who can't dodge AoE and would have to spend the next 8 seconds trying to raise someone and make sure the party stays alive.

The mana goes quick.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Why? RDM should always be raising unless it is going to MP starve them. Unlimited swift casts.

Any RDM that helps raise gets brownie points in my book especially when they help after a string in which the healers have both already raised two dps who can't dodge AoE and would have to spend the next 8 seconds trying to raise someone and make sure the party stays alive.

The mana goes quick.

Healer Adjust!!!

Just like most Summoners that I have seen the only thing I would Raise as a Red Mage is a Healer but otherwise at most you get a Mana Shift and YOU Raise the players. I didn't become a Red Mage to do a Healer's Job for them.

iammeiam

I didn't become a Red Mage to do a Healer's Job for them.

I didn't become <x> to <use Y skill the class natively has!> drives me nuts. The button is part of the job's default toolkit, it didn't sneak in unexpectedly in an emergency patch.

Cater your reaction to the content and the group goal; if we're doing prog and I've already got 85 things already blowing up to deal with, eat the lost GCD and get the guy up so I don't have to split focus. If we're doing a random clear PF and everything is currently on fire and burning down and the healers are in a really bad spot, suck it up and sacrifice the GCD to lower the odds of wiping. If I can throw stars at a boss to do contribute to party damage, DPS can pitch in to help with the tools they have.

Things change a bit on parse runs and speedkills where every GCD matters, but there unexpected deaths mean you're probably wiping it up anyway. If the actual goal is just killing the thing and neither healer has swift up, keeping the fight running smoothly isn't exactly a small contribution to the group.

adversarial

Let me just sacrifice my valuable GCDs to raise that 2200 dps samurai.

Nah. I'll give you a manashift. You raise.

So elite.

Is there a ILVL requirement for Savage?

I didn't become <x> to <use Y skill the class natively has!> drives me nuts. The button is part of the job's default toolkit, it didn't sneak in unexpectedly in an emergency patch.

Cater your reaction to the content and the group goal; if we're doing prog and I've already got 85 things already blowing up to deal with, eat the lost GCD and get the guy up so I don't have to split focus. If we're doing a random clear PF and everything is currently on fire and burning down and the healers are in a really bad spot, suck it up and sacrifice the GCD to lower the odds of wiping. If I can throw stars at a boss to do contribute to party damage, DPS can pitch in to help with the tools they have.

Things change a bit on parse runs and speedkills where every GCD matters, but there unexpected deaths mean you're probably wiping it up anyway. If the actual goal is just killing the thing and neither healer has swift up, keeping the fight running smoothly isn't exactly a small contribution to the group.

Yeah, I never understood that mentality. It seems to be mainly prevalent when doing pub stuff (public group finder, dungeon finder in WoW, etc.).

Me burning Swiftcast / Thin Air to get a free ress is a much smaller loss than delaying RDM's mana generation by one GCD so I'd rather do that.

It's a different story if I can't ress due to mechanics, MP or Swiftcast being down though.

adversarial

probably 310 I'd think but we won't know until Tuesday

I'm looking for information for upcoming releases (Savage mode in particular) and can't really find anything. Are they normally pretty quiet with what's releasing and what it'll be like? Is there a PTR client that people can download to test out these changes beforehand?

atmuh

I'm looking for information for upcoming releases (Savage mode in particular) and can't really find anything. Are they normally pretty quiet with what's releasing and what it'll be like? Is there a PTR client that people can download to test out these changes beforehand?
you get the patch notes during maintenance, that's pretty much it

Savage has no ilvl requirement if you're going in as a full party. ilvl for Raid Finder should be i315 or 325
No PTR. They're usually quiet but we get livestreams every month or so detailing upcoming content and features. Next one is this Saturday 2:30am PDT.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know, I've found enjoyment in dualcast raising and saving a bad group from itself.

Though I don't see a lot of commendations coming my way.

Aeana

Healer Adjust!!!

Just like most Summoners that I have seen the only thing I would Raise as a Red Mage is a Healer but otherwise at most you get a Mana Shift and YOU Raise the players. I didn't become a Red Mage to do a Healer's Job for them.

This kind of selfish attitude isn't going to get you very far. You're in a group, which means you're part of a team. That player being dead is affecting you. It's in your best interest that they become un-dead as soon as possible. If a healer's swiftcast is down, then that player will be dead for a while. Your loss of a few DPS is worth less to the group than an entire other player's DPS.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

So you tell me what's worse? A Healer's inability to properly keep the party alive without the aid of a Red Mage/Summoner or a Red Mage/Summoner choosing to Mana Shift instead of using their own MP and GCD in order to resurrect someone for the Healer? Because at the end of the scenario the Red Mage is still properly keeping up with it's primary focus (Doing Damage) while the Healer isn't.

Of course I wouldn't apply this mentality in a Raid Scenario but in a 4 Man or 24 Man Content you're far less likely of me Resurrecting stuff for the Healer.

adversarial

So you tell me what's worse? A Healer's inability to properly keep the party alive without the aid of a Red Mage/Summoner or a Red Mage/Summoner choosing to Mana Shift instead of using their own MP and GCD in order to resurrect someone for the Healer? Because at the end of the scenario the Red Mage is still properly keeping up with it's primary focus (Doing Damage) while the Healer isn't.

Of course I wouldn't apply this mentality in a Raid Scenario but in a 4 Man or 24 Man Content you're far less likely of me Resurrecting stuff for the Healer.

You know, people dying isn't exclusively the fault of a healer, right? Like, when you stand in shit you shouldn't be standing in and get one shot? This staunch "fuck them, they're supposed to do it attitude" must be terrible to deal with with whoever was your raid lead, assuming you raided before.

Edit: It's as if, even if you end up wiping, you can pat yourself on the back because you kept up your super complex rotation and didn't miss a GCD instead of rezzing someone with an instant cast. This is hilarious.

Nightz

Now you get to load in before everyone and stand around waiting for them to load!

LOL. Well I'm still doing MSQ's for the most part so this isn't really a problem at the moment. I did run a dungeon and was the first one to load. Felt good since I would usually be the last to load.

You know, people dying isn't exclusively the fault of a healer, right? Like, when you stand in shit you shouldn't be standing in and get one shot? This staunch "fuck them, they're supposed to do it attitude" must be terrible to deal with with whoever was your raid lead, assuming you raided before.

Edit: It's as if, even if you end up wiping, you can pat yourself on the back because you kept up your super complex rotation and didn't miss a GCD instead of rezzing someone with an instant cast. This is hilarious.

Yeesh. I know, right? I can't imagine a Red Mage, or any class, actually following that type of philosophy in a game where a group of individuals are working toward a common goal. It seems incredibly stupid.

atmuh

LOL. Well I'm still doing MSQ's for the most part so this isn't really a problem at the moment. I did run a dungeon and was the first one to load. Felt good since I would usually be the last to load.
being on SSD makes a huge difference. it's been the difference between me getting to a hunt before someone decides to pull and not making it

I need a SSD badly

My bad guys, the tanks got pushed out of the platform by Vaccuum Wave because I didn't heal them enough, lemme ressurrect them instead of topping the party off before and after Meteor so Pyretic doesn't kill every single one of you. Have fun with that Thunder 3, Mr RDM that kept DPSing while tanks were down!

Xion_Stellar

Like I said in the 2nd paragraph this isn't a mentality I would apply in a Savage Raid Scenario (that's just foolish) but anything outside of that I will leave the Healer to do it's own job properly. Yes I get that dying as a Healer or using up MP to Resurrect someone has become annoying with the changes of 4.0 but every time I play as an Astrologian I don't go asking RDM/SMNs to resurrect players for me nor do I expect them to do so.

iammeiam

I approach group content as a team activity. My job is to do what I can to get the group past the finish line, even if it's not via heal GCDs, with the toolset I have available. That includes covering for other people screwing up. This isn't some woe is healers mindset, it's pretty consistently what I do regardless of role because the end goal for me on DPS is identical to the end goal for me on healer. Kill the thing before it kills us. 24-mans are a usually a hilarious disaster of multiple people failing huge at every turn and the most likely to have chains of deaths healers can't prevent. If somebody actually dies in a four man things have gone so massively wrong that who is casting the Rez is probably the least of my worries.

But seriously, I don't care what your role is, we all have the same end goal and prioritizing your role icon over the actual goal of finishing the fight is never going to be a good plan.

Gator86

I'm actually a little surprised, but despite years of WoW experience, I'm definitely struggling a little in doing group stuff in the mid-20s. It's kind of hard to tell who is targeting who, how much threat I have, etc.

Demoskinos

I'll just throw my hat in here as a RDM and say that I will always raise if healers are in a bad spot hell I'll stop to throw our some vercures if I see someone didn't get topped off going into a huge raid damage mechanic.

Any RDM who doesn't utilize their party utility isn't worth their salt IMO. DPS is important but staying alive and playing as a team is more important.

Like I said in the 2nd paragraph this isn't a mentality I would apply in a Savage Raid Scenario (that's just foolish) but anything outside of that I will leave the Healer to do it's own job properly. Yes I get that dying as a Healer or using up MP to Resurrect someone has become annoying with the changes of 4.0 but every time I play as an Astrologian I don't go asking RDM/SMNs to resurrect players for me nor do I expect them to do so.
Since you support this view then I suppose you also agree with the statement that Healers shouldn't do the dps' job and dps, correct? If everyone is topped off and doing fine on health in the dungeon it is fine for me to do the gold dance till the next pull?

Berordn

Any RDM who doesn't utilize their party utility isn't worth their salt IMO. DPS is important but staying alive and playing as a team is more important.

ding ding

And not even just that - it goes for everyone to help out in all levels of group content. The whole party staying alive in any situation is worth the DPS loss it takes to cast that vercure.

The job is innately designed to be able to weave support actions in without taking a major DPS hit. There's no reason to dig in your heels, especially since healers are just as prone to error as anyone else and will likely appreciate the assistance.

Xion_Stellar

Since you support this view then I suppose you also agree with the statement that Healers shouldn't do the dps' job and dps, correct?
No that's an extrapolation on your part I didn't say that or anything that even remotely suggest this point of view. Healers are free to do whatever they feel like doing just as long as they keep the party alive not once did I say how people should play their role I'm just expressing the way I approach mine as a Red Mage regardless if anyone agree with it or not.

No that's an extrapolation on your part I didn't say that or anything that even remotely suggest this point of view. Healers are free to do whatever they feel like doing just as long as they keep the party alive not once did I say how people should play their role I'm just expressing the way I approach mine as a Red Mage regardless if anyone agree with it or not.
I mean, you did say that a healer that needs a RDM to ress isn't doing their job which in reality is never that simple.

Keeping the party alive isn't entirely on me, it's also the party's job to not get themselves killed, I can only ress one person every 60 seconds without likely letting someone else die and there's only so many times I can cast a 3k MP spell within a 120s window. If I ever meet a RDM that doesn't help in these circumstances, well, they might want to start getting used to casting Vercure.

IvorB

This conversation reminds me that I need to use Mana Shift. The last Delta2 I did last week was teetering on the edge of failure the whole way. Healer LB3 came and went and the struggle continued with people dying everywhere. Healers were really struggling but it was only after it was over I remember I had something for that. Not really used to doing support in that way as BLM.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is there a way to make macro icons change based on procs? Like how in PvP the auto combo things change the icon, use action 1, icon changes to action 2.

There is a way to do it, I'm sure someone else knows. I will mention that if you are planning to do this with a dps combo, don't. You lose a lot of dps using a macro.

The entire point of RDM (and SMN) having a raise and a cure is to help alleviate the burden on the healers by using them every so often, especially as your group is learning new content. Your WHM will really appreciate it, especially if you help stabilize the party when things start going catastrophically wrong. Obviously, this doesn't mean that you should become THE healer, only that you should help when it's needed.

I'm actually a little surprised, but despite years of WoW experience, I'm definitely struggling a little in doing group stuff in the mid-20s. It's kind of hard to tell who is targeting who, how much threat I have, etc.

You can tell who is targeting what by targeting them (Easily done for party members by using the D-Pad or the function keys), or the old fashioned way of watching their animations and seeing what is taking damage. You have a few UI elements that help:

S5fGBS4.png

This tells you how much aggro you have by specific enemies. Green means you have very little/no aggro on it, yellow means you have some, orange means you're very close to ripping aggro away, while red means you have the enemy's full attention.

Tq28Mk6.jpg

The tiny bars/numbers next to them in the party list tells you who is generating aggro from most to least.

Demoskinos

ding ding

And not even just that - it goes for everyone to help out in all levels of group content. The whole party staying alive in any situation is worth the DPS loss it takes to cast that vercure.

The job is innately designed to be able to weave support actions in without taking a major DPS hit. There's no reason to dig in your heels, especially since healers are just as prone to error as anyone else and will likely appreciate the assistance.

Like even if you hit enrage on a boss I think it would be worth it. At least the party gets experience and sees the whole fight.

Meccs

I still haven't re-subbed and just found out about the "Callback" thing. Problem is, I don't know any of my in-game friends outside of the game. How do I get someone to invite me back if I can't contact them? /sadface

Gunblade47

Neo Member
I guess the healer should just juggle everything for the entire party so the dps can spam 123 for pixel numbers.

If the group wipes and your rezz couldve prevented it then your dps doesnt mean anything and your selfishness will actually make you the weak link in that group content.

And Im not expecting you to stand there running oom rezzing others but it sure as hell can turn the tide and prevent a potential wipe.

You expect the group to perform their roles perfectly while you shrug your own off. No amount of damage numbers can make up for that.

iammeiam

Any argument that turns into hiding behind role icons is usually a losing one; if you never ever casting a raise is the preference of the group you're with, awesome. But if they make it clear the help would be appreciated and you hide behind the red icon, you're choosing to be less valuable to the team. Trying to turn it into a failure on the part of the healers is just expressing a really limited viewpoint. Letting guy X die to keep the rest of the party up is the right choice sometimes. Getting caught unawares by a DPS eating multiple mechanics for no reason can derail things. Stuff happens. Adapt.

This conversation reminds me that I need to use Mana Shift. The last Delta2 I did last week was teetering on the edge of failure the whole way. Healer LB3 came and went and the struggle continued with people dying everywhere. Healers were really struggling but it was only after it was over I remember I had something for that. Not really used to doing support in that way as BLM.

O2 is super weird in that if everyone dodges there is absolutely nothing worth paying attention to as a healer but once people start screwing up you're basically pumping all MP into rezzes because suddenly everyone forgets how2mechanics . Manashift and Addle are nice things to get used to using if you can fit them into your role actions.

Meccs

Is anyone here on Odin (Europe) that could tell someone to invite me back into the game? I would send you the name via PM. That would help me a lot.

Gator86

The entire point of RDM (and SMN) having a raise and a cure is to help alleviate the burden on the healers by using them every so often, especially as your group is learning new content. Your WHM will really appreciate it, especially if you help stabilize the party when things start going catastrophically wrong. Obviously, this doesn't mean that you should become THE healer, only that you should help when it's needed.

You can tell who is targeting what by targeting them (Easily done for party members by using the D-Pad or the function keys), or the old fashioned way of watching their animations and seeing what is taking damage. You have a few UI elements that help:

S5fGBS4.png

This tells you how much aggro you have by specific enemies. Green means you have very little/no aggro on it, yellow means you have some, orange means you're very close to ripping aggro away, while red means you have the enemy's full attention.

Tq28Mk6.jpg

The tiny bars/numbers next to them in the party list tells you who is generating aggro from most to least.

Thanks. It's definitely easy to miss a lot of the UI explanations because half a dozen of them pop up the instant a dungeon begins, giving you basically no time to read them.

Healing is a 0-100 life real quick at times.

Everything is fine, everyone is dodging things fine.

...One dps just died, that's fine easy reez, top them off and protect and let's continue on.

Two dps died at the same time because they didn't dodge the AoE and got killed by the raid wide damage. Oh no my swift cast isn't ready to rez one of them. Oh GOD the MT has 3K HP after that tank buster, oh shit AoE, oh shit my hp is low, oh shit raid wide damage is coming gotta heal, oh shit gotta time my AoE heal right so I can run from AoE at the last second to make sure everyone else doesn't die. oh damn I got hit and died.

"WOW WAY TO FUCK UP HEALER!"

"..."

Things get more interesting when a tank is the one to fuck up because suddenly the boss turned around and decided to cleave/decapitate you.

LordKasual

Banned
Healer Adjust!!!

Then why did you become a red mage

It doesn't matter how good your DPS is, the moment a DPS dies, no amount of rotation is going to be more valuable to the RAID than Raise.

Especially as a RDM, the amount of classes that potentially put out more DPS than you is higher than the opposite

Gnomist

So you tell me what's worse?

A teammate who is so rigidly narrow minded that he doesn't work with his team.

I agree that in ideal situations you can tunnel vision for your exclusive role, but not all groups are the same and some might need the extra benefits you provide. If things go to shit I'd rather have people adapt to the situation and come out victorious than just have a caster sit there and damage the boss, complain about healers not pulling their weight and then guarantee a wipe by not rezzing.

cerulily

Things get more interesting when a tank is the one to fuck up because suddenly the boss turned around and decided to cleave/decapitate you.

Oh boy i've got a tank f'ing up story like that. Other tank decides that "re-adjusting" susano's position mid-fight during the final phase was smart, turns him around to face the group, oh look tank buster during the unannounced adjustment. Whole team insta-wipes. As a tank, this INFURIATED me to no end.

grimmiq

There is a way to do it, I'm sure someone else knows. I will mention that if you are planning to do this with a dps combo, don't. You lose a lot of dps using a macro.

I want it for Jump/Spineshatter + Mirage Dive, but only if it shows the jump, then Mirage, then after using Mirage it returns to Jump with the CD timer.

Xion_Stellar

oh damn I got hit and died.
*Begins casting Verraise*

In all seriousness thou how I feel about the Red Mage and how I actually play as one are two different things. As an example I think all the Ranged DPS and Casters who love to stay out of my AoE Heals and Buffs every time I play as an Astrologian should be left to die without heals but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reviving it healing them even if I feel I have the right to do so.

So yes I still feel that a RDM shouldn't be wasting their own MP and GCD to help the Healer out for whatever reason but at the end of the day I will end up doing it because I'm always wearing the Mentor Status so I will act the part.... except when I'm playing with my in real life friends.

IvorB

O2 is super weird in that if everyone dodges there is absolutely nothing worth paying attention to as a healer but once people start screwing up you're basically pumping all MP into rezzes because suddenly everyone forgets how2mechanics . Manashift and Addle are nice things to get used to using if you can fit them into your role actions.

I did have it loaded up and ready to go. That's the worst part ha ha. I was just thinking about Enochian and Polyglot. I think I will load Addle in there too since most of the role actions I can get are complete sh*t.

O2 is a great fight. I love the old school D&D vibe of the boss.

Is anyone here on Odin (Europe) that could tell someone to invite me back into the game? I would send you the name via PM. That would help me a lot.

I can do it the next time I am on which will probably be this evening. There are others from Odin on here too so might be more effective to send multiple people.

*Begins casting Verraise*

In all seriousness thou how I feel about the Red Mage and how I actually play as one are two different things. As an example I think all the Ranged DPS and Casters who love to stay out of my AoE Heals and Buffs every time I play as an Astrologian should be left to die without heals but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reviving it healing them even if I feel I have the right to do so.

So yes I still feel that a RDM shouldn't be wasting their own MP and GCD to help the Healer out for whatever reason but at the end of the day I will end up doing it because I'm always wearing the Mentor Status so I will act the part.... except when I'm playing with my in real life friends.
So what you're saying is never use Manashift either since that costs MP

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The real problem is how unattentive and unaware players in general are that raises can even be a point of contention and that these days healers outright demand that the group would save LB3 for them in case DPS start to die to trivial mechanics because they don't trust themselves to keep the party up or situations where healers actually expect SMN and RDM to raise before them - to the point of outright standing there and not raising people, or trying to raise people through mechanics going on and getting other people killed and basically talking about optimization of mana really is quite silly where people should start by optimizing their brains.

Another reason why I don't like to raise is that healers are usually unprepared for it! A guy gets up and healers don't even throw a cure their way. Well that was a nice waste of my time, thanks for playing. I do raise healers themselves though.

In WoW raise isn't a commodity and only specific classes have battle raise which aren't even always healers. That makes you treat dying as something really inconvenient and it means you can't just roll your face against mechanics and expect healers or casters to raise you.

And I don't wanna hear "working with the team" as an argument because people coming into your DF aren't thinking about working with the team. they treat you as disposables while doing pathetic performance and just going for loot, because the game is designed that way. I am a firm believer that it's better to cause a wipe and make people learn something through mistakes than to raisebomb through encounter with your face and leave that one bard with a thought that they did nothing wrong.

This isn't to say RDM should never raise. It just shouldn't be pushed as any kind of priority to make DPS raise over healers because healers right now (except for scholar) are basking in MP and free time.

Especially as a RDM, the amount of classes that potentially put out more DPS than you is higher than the opposite

Well, I wish.

Luminaire

We run a slightly weird comp with a RDM and BLM. Our RDM has told us if a healer ever goes down, he'll raise them so the remaining healer can focus on keeping everyone else up. The BLM can just mana shift to the RDM to make the MP up if needed. This is likely just for the sake of progression though. We're still expected to raise everyone else though.

Top Bottom