• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Sylas

Yeah, the whole play-your-class-right is really intimidating as someone who just finished the MSQ and is looking at Omega right now.

I just learned how to use most of my skills by the end of Royal Menagerie. I don't want to get yelled at for "not playing my class right" by someone how has high/narrow expectations. I'm anxious enough trying to keep up with everybody. Maybe at a certain point I'd probably won't bother especially when I can just play another game that doesn't stress me out as much.
The amount of times I've seen people get called out for being bad are phenomenally low. If it does happen, I've typically seen the raid tell that person to shut the fuck up. It's only in PF'd stuff that I see people getting super salty and that's easily avoided for the most part.

Granted, I called a tank out last night but that's because they insisted on main tanking O1 and proceeded to lose aggro against the OT and the entirety of the raid. Don't say you want to MT because the fight is boring if you can't hold aggro. Goddamn I was salty.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No. Do not encourage him. He needs to feel bad about literally every Assize he pops that converts Stellar Explosion a second later to 70% overheal.

I can't plan around this Lily bullshit. :|

If a compliment is due, it is due. I'm not a math person, so most of the time it goes over my head at first glance.

Stuart444

I just feel the dualcast raising ability to be an extremely powerful tool, in the right circumstances. Thinking on it, the quickest time a healer can throw out 2 raises is what, 8-9 seconds? That's with starting the second cast the second after the 1st one is swiftcasted.

RDM can throw out 2 in about 4-5 seconds, if you proc up the raises with one of the 2.5 second casts.

Not taking into account time to retarget the spells.

Vercure -> Swiftcast -> Raise -> Raise

Not sure how long that is but it works since it prioritizes the dualcast and then the swiftcast.

Chessr

Can a ninja pls explain to me how to use Ten Chi Jin lvl 70 skill correct?

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
trying to use ninjutsu but cant.
what is the point of it reset if i cant use it again ?
What am i doing wrong ?
And what is the difference from this to Kassatsu ?

scy

Not a Ninja but Ten Chi Jin allows you to then cast all your mudras and ninjutsu again on each individual step. So TCJ into Ten (Fuma Shuriken), Chi (Raiton), and then Jin (Suiton) to get all 3 casts off at boosted damage. Though, I believe single-target damage when Trick Attack is down is best to TCJ into Jin-Ten-Chi (Fuma-Katon-Doton) since the potencies are slightly higher this way (480-500-640 > 480-720-360).

If a compliment is due, it is due. I'm not a math person, so most of the time it goes over my head at first glance.

Haha. I am hard on myself but Angary's right, I'm a nightmare to plan around :D

think of my cooldown timer if it just sits there

Leunam

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
What am i doing wrong ?

Not 70 yet but I think you use TCJ first.

TCJ
Ten
Fuma Shuriken
Chi
Raiton
Jin
Suiton

blar

Neo Member

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
What am i doing wrong ?

1) You can't move and you can't use any other skills while it's active
2) It banks all the moves you do; they don't reset after each ninjutsu, so for example:

Ten Chi Jin > Ten > Cast > Chi > Cast > Jin > Cast

...would cast Fuma Shuriken (from the first Ten), follwed by Raiton (from the Ten and Chi), followed by Suiton (from all 3 Ten, Chi, and Jin).

Basically as long as you're not moving TCJ allows you to quickly cast a 1-mudra ninjutsu, followed by a 2-mudra ninjutsu, and finally a 3-mudra ninjutsu.

ebil

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
What am i doing wrong ?
Ten Chi Jin > Ten > Ninjutsu > Chi > Ninjutsu > Jin > Ninjutsu

You need to hit that Ninjutsu button after each mudra, you need to stay perfectly immobile, and you need to not do it too quickly or you might just Rabbit your Ninjutsu.

The whole point of TCJ is to do a sequence of Ninjutsu consisting of Fuma Shuriken, any of the 2 mudras Ninjutsu, any of the 3 mudras Ninjutsu.

MrHoot

I'm a red mage and always try to raise when I can. Hell okay i've played White mage before, but I think that the utility is so stupidly useful and costs comparatively little next to what a healer must do (spend their swift cast + lot's of mana + loss of time they could be spending healing).

I usually say in the beginning of a high level encounter that i can take care of raises to alleviate some of the burden. If it's there on my hotbar, it's part of the job. I'm not gonna shun it

Omni

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
What am i doing wrong ?
I'm still a 'new' ninja, but I use it in this striking dummy video as part of my opener (there was some server lag so timings in it were screwed up but you know). Should give you a decent idea anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUDjtDEmIKA

I gotta start looking into some Ninja guides actually. I can barely break 3.2k in Lak ex hmmm

Everytime i use it i:

Use ninjutsu
Use Ten Chi Jin
What am i doing wrong ?

While a lot of people mentionned stuff, I'll point out that your issue is most likely this: you have to stand still. When using TCJ, if you move, it cancels, and fucks up everything. You cast it, then stand still, and do your ninjutsus.

Have to confirm ninjutsus after every mudra too. For example my keys are QER for mudras and F for ninjutsu, have to do Q F E F R F to get everything off. Combination is usually shuriken > raiton > suiton or shuriken > katon > doton. 2nd one is higher potency if the enemy stays in it, but lower potency if you can hit the Raiton during a TA window(for example on the opener). Also if for some reason TA is up then the suiton one is better obv.

Can't wait for Savage. Right now I have nothing to do. I don't have the patience to farm doges, my crafters are all 70 already and making me good amounts of money just by checking them twice a day, and I'm too lazy to bother with leveling a DPS with such queues. I've been trying with PvP a while but I get bored after a few rounds.

/spoiled child rant

What do you mean by checking them twice a day?

I'm still playing through Heavensward :/

See a lot of GAF Free Company folks though. I always shake my lil lalafell butt and cheer at your FC tags when I see you. Must be a pretty large clan.

Doombear

I don't know, I've found enjoyment in dualcast raising and saving a bad group from itself.

Though I don't see a lot of commendations coming my way.

Actually got two last night after we nearly wiped during a pretty straightforward Deltascape 1.0 run. All of a sudden at like 20% people started ignoring flame orbs and we lost a tank and both healers all in a few seconds. Then a samurai dropped after using LB... Vercure me, dualcast raise Healer 1, swiftcast raise healer 2 and we pulled out of the nose dive just in time. Feels good when help avoid a definite wipe. I see no harm in using my tools when it's that or wipe and start over.

The ddos is real. Cant even load anything.

So. Gross. Just standing around in Gridania atm watching everyone red dot on and off. Took me 5 minutes just to check retainers/ventures lol

Luminaire

Finished the State of the Realm episode with Xeno. There's some good discussion there and they give him so much shit for flopping back and forth. If you can get past some of the stupid stuff he says that makes him seem 12, he has some good positive thoughts on the future of raiding. Of course you can just skip the episode if you're not interested. You're not missing anything entertaining or meaningful.

The real problem is how unattentive and unaware players in general are that raises can even be a point of contention and that these days healers outright demand that the group would save LB3 for them in case DPS start to die to trivial mechanics because they don't trust themselves to keep the party up or situations where healers actually expect SMN and RDM to raise before them - to the point of outright standing there and not raising people, or trying to raise people through mechanics going on and getting other people killed and basically talking about optimization of mana really is quite silly where people should start by optimizing their brains.

Another reason why I don't like to raise is that healers are usually unprepared for it! A guy gets up and healers don't even throw a cure their way. Well that was a nice waste of my time, thanks for playing. I do raise healers themselves though.

In WoW raise isn't a commodity and only specific classes have battle raise which aren't even always healers. That makes you treat dying as something really inconvenient and it means you can't just roll your face against mechanics and expect healers or casters to raise you.

And I don't wanna hear "working with the team" as an argument because people coming into your DF aren't thinking about working with the team. they treat you as disposables while doing pathetic performance and just going for loot, because the game is designed that way. I am a firm believer that it's better to cause a wipe and make people learn something through mistakes than to raisebomb through encounter with your face and leave that one bard with a thought that they did nothing wrong.

This isn't to say RDM should never raise. It just shouldn't be pushed as any kind of priority to make DPS raise over healers because healers right now (except for scholar) are basking in MP and free time.

Well, I wish.

My jam in this game is the healer role and healers that don't throw a heal after a raise are the worst , unless they can't because we get interrupted (happenned to me in some raids)

Healing is a full time job in raids and i take the help i can get.

Now if a DPS keep dying like an idiot , there may be a moment where my attention will be focused on the rest of the team first before i take time to raise. Healers can't raise like madmen , Our role is first to keep tanks alive after all

Trojita

Teach me how to get gud at tanking as a Dark Knight.

I tried to tank Tam Tara Hard Mode, but I suck at speed running.

Luigi87

Just did Lakshmi during MSQ where myself, and several others were new.
The RDM was ace as the player weaved in multiple rapid fire Raises in between DPS'ing when either my Swiftcast was down, or myself and the other healer had both died
(during the second time you had to shield yourself. Didn't realize what the glowing blue orbs were the first time)

Kenai

I'm of the opinion that if they have RDM such an amazing skill as Dualcast > Rez > Swiftcast > Rez, they probably should expect to use it when needed. Should needed be in air-quotes? "Needed".

But healers should expect to rez too. A lot. Especially if Swiftcast is up. Anyone in a PF can be bad or be good with bad mistakes, it's whatever. Everyone's gonna mess up learning a new fight, everyone's gonna wipe on easy content, even stuff you have on farm. Don't act like you haven't. You, yes, YOU have (and me).

I'm not gonna dump on someone I will never see again just for being new or even for being bad (as long as I think they are trying). I'm not usually going to make any meaningful impact on their life or even their priority list/rotation in the duty timer, nor will I try to because no. But I'll try to carry them if they suck and I'll try to be on the ball myself. I'll be nice and try to point out stuff to watch out for that tripped me up the first time, but quickly enough so that no one really has any room to complain that they had to stand around for more than an extra 30 seconds

If they are rude or mean all bets are off though. I can be rude or mean too. I have Rescue and plenty of nearby edges, and my bf who I pretty much always pt with has Shirk. I don't usually get mad but I can certainly get even! (to keep from being mad).

Baleoce

Good god. Looking through the SAM abilities. Even though I have PotD 50 unlocked, I think I might just start this from floor 1 so I can get my bearings lol. Too much shit to throw at someone starting at 50 tbh.

Thorgal

i usually have Xenos streaming in the back ground .

he is a guy you either love or hate , really .

on the surface, he seems to be an asshole, but in reality he's actually a decent dude on his Stream .
he's the Gordon Ramsey of ffxiv raiding, he's down to help even the crappiest of players to improve and get better, but if you are ignorant/naive and you just deny anything you do wrong, then he's going to put you in your place and that could come out as some colorful language .

zelhawks37

Finally beat
Ultima Weapon
and now at the 'post game' content for ARR. The party for that last mission was crazy powerful compared to me, but that is probably because they are at the current expansion.... or that I suck lol. Hope I can get there someday. :)

studyguy

Teach me how to get gud at tanking as a Dark Knight.

I tried to tank Tam Tara Hard Mode, but I suck at speed running.

NEVER GO INTO GRIT WHEN YOU NEED TO
RUN OUT OF MP CONSTANTLY
MAKE SURE TO USE TBN AT THE VERY LAST SECOND
ALWAYS LET DARK ARTS FALL OFF WITHOUT USING IT ON A SKILL
PROTRATS TBH

Trojita

Good god. Looking through the SAM abilities. Even though I have PotD 50 unlocked, I think I might just start this from floor 1 so I can get my bearings lol. Too much shit to throw at someone starting at 50 tbh.

It looked confusing at first because of the way they present it on the hotbar by default (at least on controller). It's actually pretty easy once you get it down.

You have 3 main combos. They all use one skill as their base. Two of the combos use 3 skills total and one uses 2. You can use the 2 skill combo to automatically get the dot you can place on the enemy, and then from there build up all three by using the moon combo (3 hits), Sakura Combo (3 hits) and Ice Combo (Yukikaze 2 hits) to get the move that does major damage. You also have a cool down ability that let's you use each last hit in the combo right away to get all the seals or whatever they are called to automatically do the major damage move.

Firebrand

Finally beat
Ultima Weapon
and now at the 'post game' content for ARR. The party for that last mission was crazy powerful compared to me, but that is probably because they are at the current expansion.... or that I suck lol. Hope I can get there someday. :)

The item sync levels for the lvl 50 instances are crazy high, it makes most of them really boring tbh (though there's always the min ilvl sync for premade parties).

Hope you had an okay experience with Castrum and Praetorium, Praet esp is really cool if you can do it at a "normal" pace with cutscenes, boss fights and vehicles, but it's highly unlikely a random party won't just charge ahead, lol.

Luigi87

Finally beat
Ultima Weapon

Yeah the ARR stuff is just steamrolled these days!

Anywho, good luck with 2.X, a lot of it drags, but when it get to the point of picking up, it becomes awesome, and stays that way throughout Heavensward and Stormblood.

Baleoce

It looked confusing at first because of the way they present it on the hotbar by default (at least on controller). It's actually pretty easy once you get it down.

You have 3 main combos. They all use one skill as their base. Two of the combos use 3 skills total and one uses 2. You can use the 2 skill combo to automatically get the dot you can place on the enemy, and then from there build up all three by using the moon combo (3 hits), Sakura Combo (3 hits) and Ice Combo (Yukikaze 2 hits) to get the move that does major damage. You also have a cool down ability that let's you use each last hit in the combo right away to get all the seals or whatever they are called to automatically do the major damage move.

Aaah I see. So get the dot up then try to get the 3 bar meter as quickly as possible to do the best Sen finisher? All the Kenki gauge stuff, is that just all off-GDC management?

scy

It's pretty on rails just off the level 50 skills available. Three single-target combos that each generate a different Sen and the Sen spender is basically all you have available at this point. 52+ starts giving you their meter and other stuff to worry about, though it still mostly trickles in utility things after Kaiten @52. Just start getting the hang of generating Sen (Kasha > Gekko > Yukikaze priority typically to get the Haste > Damage > Slashing up), ideally spend 1 Sen on Iaijutsu for the DoT (Higanbana) after Haste+Damage buffs up (aka, go through Kasha for the Sen, use Iaijutsu after Jinpu) and then the rest on the 3 Sen big hit (Midare Setsugekka).

Everything else is either AoE stuff (Fuga -> Mangetsu, Oka), ranged attack (Enpi), oGCD (Ageha), or utility (Third Eye). Then Meikyo Shisui is their version of Perfect Balance, essentially, and you can just treat it for now as a way to cycle into a faster Midare after buffs are up.

I think thats Kugane Castle, Doma Castle is lvl 67 gear. Would Yanxian be it?

Anyone know how/where to get the Ohojo Shin NIN weapon: http://xivdb.com/item/18584/ohojo+shin

Yes, Yanxian would be the Doma set. And that is also where you would get that weapon.

Edit: I was too slow rip

Aaah I see. So get the dot up then try to get the 3 bar meter as quickly as possible to do the best Sen finisher? All the Kenki gauge stuff, is that just all off-GDC management?

Yeah; at 52, you get Kaiten and access to Kenki, and now have positional requirements on Kashu (Flank) and Gekko (Rear), which are all basically just used on your oGCDs. Or, really, used on Kaiten and not much else as your generation is really slow until 62+ with literally all the oGCDs and the second Kenki trait.

Kenki is purely a secondary resource to fuel these oGCDs (and Kaiten's super buff) rather than specific rotation thing. Treat it more like a resource you want to make sure you don't overcap and don't end fights with >0 but the actual moment to moment is less strict. Hagakure at 68 gives you some extra way to convert Sen to Kenki to help cover gaps for Kaiten or to just have more oGCDs to use but otherwise you can think of them as two separate systems.

zelhawks37

The item sync levels for the lvl 50 instances are crazy high, it makes most of them really boring tbh (though there's always the min ilvl sync for premade parties).

Hope you had an okay experience with Castrum and Praetorium, Praet esp is really cool if you can do it at a "normal" pace with cutscenes, boss fights and vehicles, but it's highly unlikely a random party won't just charge ahead, lol.

Ah that makes sense then. I felt realllllly weak compared to everyone else.

Unfortunately, I knew ahead of time to watch the cutscenes before both of them because as you mentioned, my party blazed through Castrum and Praetorium. Castrum went way too fast for my liking, but luckily one of the tanks in Praetorium was newish as well so we slowed down a bit on that one. To be fair, people dont want to wait 30 minutes worth of cutscenes so I understand. That is what happens when I am late to the party! :)

Vic_Viper

Derp. Yeah it's the Yanxian stuff. That NIN weapon is also from Doma Castle, random drop from chests and the last boss

Awesome, thank you both!

The Dungeon is pretty sweet, but the story leading up to it and after is awesome. Some of the best stuff so far in the expansion imo. The story is really starting to ramp up. My boy Kien and Kugiri are killing it!

Really hope these DDOS attacks end soon because it's starting to get annoying. Has anyone claimed responsibility for these attacks? I mean what are they so upset about that makes them continue.

zelhawks37

Yeah the ARR stuff is just steamrolled these days!

Anywho, good luck with 2.X, a lot of it drags, but when it get to the point of picking up, it becomes awesome, and stays that way throughout Heavensward and Stormblood.

Haha seems like it!

Oh cool! I got through ARR, so what's a little more filler? Cant wait!

I don't think so since none of the NM Delta floors has any trash.

Unless they add a Savage version of that story duty instance where you had to kill boxes and monitors, that is

Was moreso just referring to the wall that lead to groups not even getting Hummelfaust below 20% first week. It really made people realize that their DPS wasn't good enough, although none of these fights should be nearly as DPS intensive (nothing would be as mean as bringing back something like the split hand DPS race in Living Liquid).

Was moreso just referring to the wall that lead to groups not even getting Hummelfaust below 20% first week. It really made people realize that their DPS wasn't good enough, although none of these fights should be nearly as DPS intensive (nothing would be as mean as bringing back something like the split hand DPS race in Living Liquid).
Eh, Hummel was really badly tuned, since the DPS needed to kill Ratflinx was way lower than what you needed to kill it.

iammeiam

Hummel wasn't supposed to be a raw rDPS check once you have Sephirot weapons, he was a "can you figure out delayed opener burst while still killing the early trash?"

Prep for Midas asking people do stuff beyond Gordias' memorable damage obsession, sort of in line with stuff like Ratfinx having damage down in big form to encourage focusing burst or A6S straight up resurrecting A3S adds phase for Brawler to emphasize coordination.

Top Bottom