• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Squishy3

Hummel wasn't supposed to be a raw rDPS check once you have Sephirot weapons, he was a "can you figure out delayed opener burst while still killing the early trash?"
Yeah, this was the real test of Hummelfaust. You had to kill the small Fausts relatively quickly but also couldn't completely blow your opener on them.

...you know, with the changes to some jobs, is it going to literally be undoable for some jobs to be able to do Heavensward stuff for people who want to do minimum item level? With the changes to Dragoon, for example, their DPS is going to be less at level 60 because you can only geirskogul every 35 seconds, B4B got changed and they no longer have power surge. They no longer work the same way when that content came out and was tuned.

Luminaire

If there is fun to be had, there is always an asshole to ruin it.
Well there's a bit of a difference in trolling a launch with DDoS 4t3hLulZ, which is fairly common it seems, and continued DDoSing weeks after. It just seems malicious and spiteful and retaliatory. Seems like it's someone who was banned that has become a being of pure salt.

Made it to the level 59 quests last night so nearly finished with Heavensward. This expansion most definitely is a large step up from ARR, that's for damn sure. Someone in here was right when they said shit gets real with that 2.x quest with glass in the name haha Damn, didn't expect that. Honestly the
Ul'dah
politics and plot twists were the most interesting part although I'm really disappointed to learn that
the sultana survived, for a second I thought they finally grew the balls to kill a significant character. She's not even as significant as the general leaders in the story either but they couldn't let someone go.
that said,
Haurchefant
was a bro and finally someone I gave a shit about kicking the bucket. It's felt like a shounen anime with no one dying despite how violent and turbulent events have been which I feel does the story a disservice. That problem aside, the Ishgardian society and hierarchy is interesting though I had hoped it would delve more into all the respective houses and their history but I suppose it'd be as long as ARR if it did that. Besides the aforementioned victim, I really dig the Lord Commander. I assumed he was going to be an arrogant douche when I first met him but not so. I was surprised at his up bringing (not referring to the twist) and that he wasn't raised in upper society.

I also like that you fight in a party more often than in ARR. It sure is nice having a healer for some quests although I hate the instances where you lose if one of the worthless NPCs kick the bucket. This has been a terrible game mechanic for decades and I still remember the horrors of protecting Natalia in Goldeneye's Control Room haha I was happy to finally venture into a snow region a little bit though it turned out to only be one zone and the city (expansion content), sadly but I guess it would look too plain if you had several snow filled zones. It does feel nice to see the greenery in Dravania after going through West Coetheras. Flying is great but I don't care for having to collect the wind aethers. Just let us fly, dammit! Are there more of those things than you need to unlock flying in a zone? I'm pretty sure the last one I unlocked flying for had a couple I couldn't figure out how to reach but after collecting more elsewhere, it unlocked. It's always neat having regions up the sky too! I was surprised to find a beast tribe up there though. What's the deal with making up Primals before exhausting all the options from older entries in the FF series? I guess they want to save some of them. Oh, that reminds me, I unlocked the Bahamut Raid a while back! I imagine you can do that as soon as you're level 50? I figure I'll save it for down the road as badly as I want to do it because I'm trying to push the story into Storm Blood.

Not Nidhogg himself but his general you fight first and the final boss of The Vault were pretty difficult boss battles if you have a bad group. The latter in particular couldn't be done the first night but thankfully the next day I completed it on the first try with a competent group. For a second I was like holy crap the difficulty jump haha Speaking of, what the hell is with the difficulty of SAM lvl 54 quest? I gave up on beating the guy at the end until I obtained level 58 gear from the sidequests you can grab in Idyllshire and then finally went back last night and beat his ass. Then, the lvl 56 and 58 quests were complete jokes in comparison. Just fighting three regular enemies at a time in both cases. What the heck? That fake samurai should have been the level 58 quest lol

I'm really pleased with the increase in xp you receive from MSQ in 3.0. I didn't hit a level wall until I unlocked the level 59 quest! What a difference from ARR ha I only had to do two PoTD runs to hit 59 which I did right before bed. I see there's 10 59 quests so I figure I'll see how close I get to leveling from doing those and the daily dungeon/trial roulette.

That reminds me, I'm completely wasting Poetics, I've been maxed out for days so every time I do roulette it says I don't get any because I'm full. Why in the world do they cap that? Anyway, As I'm about to hit 60, what do you guys recommend I blow it on? Should I get level 60 gear? Or is there something else more worthwhile since I'll be getting level 60 gear from 3.x MSQ I imagine?

Oh, and
Lady Ice Heart is not so bad after all! ;p Also, I'm pretty surprised that I'm hitting the end of the expansion and we've only found one lost Scion. I guess it's easy enough make out what 3.x covers haha

Squishy3

That problem aside, the Ishgardian society and hierarchy is interesting though I had hoped it would delve more into all the respective houses and their history but I suppose it'd be as long as ARR if it did that. Besides the aforementioned victim, I really dig the Lord Commander. I assumed he was going to be an arrogant douche when I first met him but not so. I was surprised at his up bringing (not referring to the twist) and that he wasn't raised in upper society.
There's a lot of supplementary lore about that kind of stuff in-game and out, and if you go digging you can find it. It might be better to avoid looking until you catch up because you'd probably inevitably run into spoilers at times.

There's a lot of supplementary lore about that kind of stuff in-game and out, and if you go digging you can find it. It might be better to avoid looking until you catch up because you'd probably inevitably run into spoilers at times.

I did notice you could learn a little more from some of the side quests. It would have been nice if the plot worked you through the various houses during the MSQ for a time, however instead of just one.

Gold_Loot

I just... had a Lakshmi farm party.... and she enraged at 15%. No words D:
It's been like this all day. Lakshmi and Susano both. Farm parties not clear parties mind you.

Also that occasional "Oh yeah I still need a clear, but all those other groups suck." Just as we all queue in to battle. Nope, I'm out. Thanks for wasting my time.

That reminds me, I'm completely wasting Poetics, I've been maxed out for days so every time I do roulette it says I don't get any because I'm full. Why in the world do they cap that? Anyway, As I'm about to hit 60, what do you guys recommend I blow it on? Should I get level 60 gear? Or is there something else more worthwhile since I'll be getting level 60 gear from 3.x MSQ I imagine?

Wasting it sucks, but at least you didn't go all the way through the HW msq with max Scripture like I did, lol.

Throw it at the Shire gear in Idyllshire. You'll want 230 ilvl for the last 3.x dungeons, and the i260 gear is probably the easiest way to hit that. I imagine ARF is still the best place to grind 'em out, but idk.

Blow poetics on i260 stuff + upgrades since that will last you up to level 65 if you're a DPS or healer. If you're a tank it'll last up to level 63, then Shisui stuff is better.

AgeEighty

It's been like this all day. Lakshmi and Susano both. Farm parties not clear parties mind you.

Also that occasional "Oh yeah I still need a clear, but all those other groups suck." Just as we all queue in to battle. Nope, I'm out. Thanks for wasting my time.

And if you decide to be nice and let them stay, they almost always die immediately on the first pull.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

If people are too dumb to check the can't join unless they beat it before button when setting up a PF those same people can suffer dealing with people like that

Thanks for the heads up yesterday for the base game being 5 bucks. bought my friend a copy and got my Amber chocobo for my troubles lol.

Though now I got a question. Can the recruit a friend referral codes work with friends that just want to use the trail version?

Luigi87

Thanks for the heads up yesterday for the base game being 5 bucks. bought my friend a copy and got my Amber chocobo for my troubles lol.

Though now I got a question. Can the recruit a friend referral codes work with friends that just want to use the trail version?

No, as benefits for recruit a friend won't kick in until they've subscribed for at least 30 days (not including free trial when buying ARR).

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Starting this with a group of coworkers soon. Is there any demerit to playing the trial version until I get to 35 on a character before upgrading to a subscription?

That feelign when you're playing Qarn with a tank so focused on the bees in the level ( all of them ) that he isn't using the trigger to remove the doom status and is killing the "faces" in the area , not on the spots to open the doors.
Also , wants to speed run...

Yeah no.

It's ok to speed run if you know the mecanics in the damn level , if you've forgotten , why are you blamming me for your deaths , when you get it by so many instant death skills because you pulled all the bees in the area at the same time. I <can't heal instant death "doom" effects >

Jesus , sometimes i don't understand why some tanks players want to speed run like crazy

Luigi87

Starting this with a group of coworkers soon. Is there any demerit to playing the trial version until I get to 35 on a character before upgrading to a subscription?

Main things are:

-Capped gil amount (500k I think? Someone else needs to confirm)
-Cannot create a party (you can be invited by someone who owns one the game though), and can only join random pugs via Duty Finder
-Cannot create/join a Free Company
-Cannot /shout, /yell, or /tell (pm), or use the in-game mail service
-Cannot trade with other players
-Cannot hire retainers

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
There's some social restrictions in place for trial accounts to minimize trial account Gil sellers. Big ones being that they can't start a party, use shout (zone) chat, or join a free company (player guild/clan).

The following terms and conditions apply to players who use the Free Trial (“Free Trial Players”):
Free Trial Players are not required to purchase licensed software to use the Free Trial.
One (1) Free Trial account may be registered using a Square Enix account so long as that Square Enix account has not been previously registered with any version of the game.
Free Trial Players cannot make in-game micro transactions during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can create only eight (8) playable characters, restricted to one (1) playable character per world.
Free Trial account characters have their level capped at level thirty five (35).
Free Trial account characters can obtain only a capped amount of in game currency (GIL).
Free Trial Players cannot use the "shout", "yell" or "tell" in-game chat options during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot access the in-game market board during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot trade items with other players during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot use the Mogletter service during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot hire a retainer character during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can join a Linkshell if invited, but cannot create a new Linkshell during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot create or join a Free Company during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players can join a party if invited or by using the Duty Finder, but cannot assemble a party during the Free Trial.

Free Trial Players cannot login to the Lodestone and or any other game forum during the Free Trial.
Free Trial Players cannot progress past Floor 10 in the Deep Dungeon during the Free Trial.
Square Enix reserves the right to make amendments to the Free Trial and these Free Trial terms, or to add or remove limitations on Free Trial Players, with or without notice in its sole discretion at any time.

I'm late to join the RDM talk and I'm speaking from a pure raiding terms, non casual stuff (ie 24 mans, normal mode etc etc).

The RDM should never be raising unless both healers are dead or its prog.

If I join a farm party and people are struggling then thats not a group I want to be in. Swiftcast should be up on both healer. The only time it would ever be down is because people died previously and swiftcast was used for the res prior. Now to put that into perspective, that meant 2 people must have died prior in less than a minute period. What kind of group are you in where this happens in a farm setting? LOL

In prog RDM are invaluable due to their utility and their high dmg. Outside prog, they are amazing in their dps and flexibility (ie not being super hard punished for gaol, stun, and doing other mechanics). They should be relied to res if needed, its part of the reason why they are considered in prog (outside their dmg and embolden).

There are two different mindsets depending on the situation. Expecting a RDM to res ppl in a farm party is just silly. The equivalent is like joining a farm party and you see a 0 dps healer and a full tank stance tank. Like why? Why waste people's time?

In HW I almost never touched MP/TP song as a bard in farm parties including savage (outside a12s and that is because theres downtime) because its simply not needed.

iammeiam

What kind of garbage high skill farm party has both healers sitting on swiftcast for an entire fight for rez instead of assuming people will execute basic mechanics?

Like, we can all sit around and impose whatever arbitrary restrictions we want on people and that's cool, but a hyperspecialized max skill farm party that doesn't have healers using Swift for mobility and/or damage? Pls. You're talking about a farm party that assumes competence from everyone while expecting healers to play like they expect the party to be dumb.

RDM rez, like everything, is situational.

Top Bottom