• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

What kind of garbage high skill farm party has both healers sitting on swiftcast for an entire fight for rez instead of assuming people will execute basic mechanics?

Like, we can all sit around and impose whatever arbitrary restrictions we want on people and that's cool, but a hyperspecialized max skill farm party that doesn't have healers using Swift for mobility and/or damage? Pls. You're talking about a farm party that assumes competence from everyone while expecting healers to play like they expect the party to be dumb.

how is swiftcast a dps increase? And what fight so far would require swiftcast for mobility? And I didn't know not expecting ppl to die left and right was a hyper specialized group.

Wasting it sucks, but at least you didn't go all the way through the HW msq with max Scripture like I did, lol.

Throw it at the Shire gear in Idyllshire. You'll want 230 ilvl for the last 3.x dungeons, and the i260 gear is probably the easiest way to hit that. I imagine ARF is still the best place to grind 'em out, but idk.

Blow poetics on i260 stuff + upgrades since that will last you up to level 65 if you're a DPS or healer. If you're a tank it'll last up to level 63, then Shisui stuff is better.

How convenient, I logged out last night in Idyllshire. Will fire up the game within the next hour or so. So Idyllshire has better gear than Ishgard? Not sure if I've done ARF yet, I'm up to the first 59 quest but don't think that sounds familiar. Regardless, I'll start racking them up again just by doing the daily roulette. I just need to quite being wasteful ha Also thanks for mentioning that I need it for 3.x dungeons because otherwise I'd be wondering if I should just suck it up until SB as that is likely better and also will better fit my job class of SAM for aesthetics. I'll just have to upgrade again, eventually :D Thanks a lot, guys!

iammeiam

how is swiftcast a dps increase? And what fight so far would require swiftcast for mobility? And I didn't know not expecting ppl to die left and right was a hyper specialized group.

Your hypothetical group demands tank and healer DPS, but then also (here is the specialization) restricts healers from using Swiftcast for anything other than Rez (I don't know how to answer a question that seems to ignore how essentially every healer uses Swiftcast, the benefits of not clipping your GCD, and like... the entire concept of ease of keeping your GCD rolling regardless of mechanics given we're discussing a PUG where you may encounter people who handle a bait mechanic differently, or whatever) more to the point, you're assuming infrequent deaths but then also expecting healers to operate like it's a learning party where death lurks around every corner because reasons.

Your post would be internally consistent except for the bizarre assumption that healers going for kill efficiency sit on swiftcast. They don't. That's silly and tilts your proposed group out of one that makes sense for a specific purpose to one that follows arbitrary rules.

ebil

Back when I still healed stuff, I used Swiftcast for Medica II/A.Helios/the occasional nuke while running and very rarely sat on it for a long period of time in any context where I didn't expect people to die. Expecting your healers to sit on SC in case shit hits the fan in a controlled environment is the equivalent of expecting them to sit on Tetra/Dignity for emergencies. Optimizing is optimizing, and it goes for every role in the game.

Any farm party that doesn't have a clear lock and IL limit set gets an instant nope

why do you need an ilvl lock?

And I concede on the swiftcast statement. I should have known better since I have healed savage creator prior to echo. But regardless not expecting deaths should be the norm in a farm party. Expecting rdm to res is just plain silly in that context.

Baliis

as someone who had susano on farm at ilvl 300 it was very frustrating to see parties demanding 305/310

I've had to chuckle at a couple groups asking 315. That has to be like, full 320 right side, Susano wep and another 320 left side or something?

And I concede on the swiftcast statement. I should have known better since I have healed savage creator prior to echo. But regardless not expecting deaths should be the norm in a farm party. Expecting rdm to res is just plain silly in that context.

If I'm not raiding with a full FC party (that's actually a raiding FC) I'm just going to expect everyone to be terrible until proven otherwise.

as someone who had susano on farm at ilvl 300 it was very frustrating to see parties demanding 305/310

I think 300 is fine but if you really are trying to farm speedy clears are part of that, which are generally helped along by having better gear. Obviously skill and focus are equally important but the more powerful the better right?

There's always that one guy: the guy who's gear and or skill are just not there but they got carried on their first clear. I had a couple Susano/Lakshmi parties where someone didn't even have their 70 job quest gear, let alone ex dungeon gear or tome gear.

My playtime during the week is pretty limited so I prefer to join/start farm parties where things will generally go faster.

I think 300 is fine but if you really are trying to farm speedy clears are part of that, which are generally helped along by having better gear. Obviously skill and focus are equally important but the more powerful the better right?

There's always that one guy: the guy who's gear and or skill are just not there but they got carried on their first clear. I had a couple Susano/Lakshmi parties where someone didn't even have their 70 job quest gear, let alone ex dungeon gear or tome gear.

My playtime during the week is pretty limited so I prefer to join/start farm parties where things will generally go faster.

300 is min requirement if you DF it so thats fine. Expecting 315 is straight up silly.

I've had to chuckle at a couple groups asking 315. That has to be like, full 320 right side, Susano wep and another 320 left side or something?

If I'm not raiding with a full FC party (that's actually a raiding FC) I'm just going to expect everyone to be terrible until proven otherwise.

You guys are all on primal right? heard primal DC is worse overall compared to Aether in terms of PF and stuff

zelhawks37

Question for you all. Is it worth it to finish quest A Relic Reborn for a Monk to get the Sphairai (monk weapon)? Someone is selling the necessary item to complete the quest for 200k.....

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Question for you all. Is it worth it to finish quest A Relic Reborn for a Monk to get the Sphairai (monk weapon)? Someone is selling the necessary item to complete the quest for 200k.....

Relic and Anima are only glam items at this point.

Fully completed Anima weapon may let you skip first stage of whatever special weapon we're getting in SB, but it's unlikely it would be worth starting from scratch on an Anima just to skip 1 stage.

MattyG

Banned
Just did my first raid dungeon (one of the help things said raid so I thought it was that for a bit) and even though it's a small, mandatory story one I HAD A BLAST!! I feel like I played my role pretty well, and I got 3 commendations at the end. I feel like that's probably not a big deal because it's probably a courtesy thing to give one, but it made me really happy.

Also, is there any point to doing the low level quests in the other 2 starting regions? I'm level 19, and I got to Gredania and did a couple before realizing I was getting 100xp and there was probably no point.

Just did my first raid and even though it's a small, mandatory story one I HAD A BLAST!! I feel like I played my role pretty well, and I got 3 commendations at the end. I feel like that's probably not a big deal because it's probably a courtesy thing to give one, but it made me really happy.

Also, is there any point to doing the low level quests in the other 2 starting regions? I'm level 19, and I got to Gredania and did a couple before realizing I was getting 100xp and there was probably no point.

Unless you enjoy the sidequests in themselves, there's no real reason to do them just for the paltry experience.

zelhawks37

Relic and Anima are only glam items at this point.

Fully completed Anima weapon may let you skip first stage of whatever special weapon we're getting in SB, but it's unlikely it would be worth starting from scratch on an Anima just to skip 1 stage.

ah alright. I figured the relic items were well outdated, but just had to be sure. Didnt want to waste money and or time to upgrade them if I didnt have to. Thanks to you both!

(MST3K is awesome btw)

royox

My gosh I hate those healers that won't heal you till you (the tank) have like 5% HP. Someday I will have a stroke doing roulettes because of that.

Landford

Banned
Question: I bought this game on steam fucking ages ago, and I i played a hell out of it, and it was amazing. But I dont have access anymore to the email I used to make my Square Enix account. I tried sendind a email for support with my steam login info, along with my cd key and keycard proof of purchase, and they refused to change the email adress.

Am I shit out of luck, Gaf? I cant even buy another base game because steam says I already own it.

royox

Lv. 68 MSQ

Every time
that Estinien shows up and Stone and Steel starts to play,
I get chills.

You know you LOVE Heavensward if every time a HW character has screentime you smile like when you see an old friend you have not seen in a long time on the street.

Also Stone and Steel is SO DAMN.GOOD.

I wish the same happens me in the future with SB characters and music but my gosh HW was overall so good I don't think they can top it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Question: I bought this game on steam fucking ages ago, and I i played a hell out of it, and it was amazing. But I dont have access anymore to the email I used to make my Square Enix account. I tried sendind a email for support with my steam login info, along with my cd key and keycard proof of purchase, and they refused to change the email adress.

Am I shit out of luck, Gaf? I cant even buy another base game because steam says I already own it.
I think you have to mail in a form with a copy of your state ID to get them to change it.

If you are unable to update your email address by yourself, we can make the necessary change once we have verified that you are the account holder via a notary form submitted to us. Please contact the Support Center by clicking on the URL below.
*You must be the account holder to receive support.

URL: https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=496&la=1
* Please select “Account/Billing” for the Contact Category and “Update Email Address” for the Contact Sub-category. For the Contact Method please choose Email Support.
* The Support Center will provide you with a notary form after you submit your inquiry.
* Note that a government issued document (e.g. drivers license, passport) will be requested in the notary form.

Once we verify that you are the account holder, we will change your email address.
http://support.na.square-enix.com/f...=1&ret=faq&pv=10&page=0&c=0&sc=0&so=4&q=Email

wooot got 99 percentile for brd on laquisha ex in a PF lootmaster farm party LOL. I wasn't expecting that especially with only 12% aoe balance uptime.

So Ixion popped just one minute into deltascape. I feel that for me to get that fucking mount I have to dedicate myself like 100% of my time to that.

Fuck that, I'd rather level up stuff and shit.

Blitzhex

So Ixion popped just one minute into deltascape. I feel that for me to get that fucking mount I have to dedicate myself like 100% of my time to that.

Fuck that, I'd rather level up stuff and shit.

I camped it for hours and hours the other day because there was only 12 hours till the window closed. Got to him before it was even pulled with a full dps party + tank. No one died, but we still got silver because of huge lag.
Ixion is a complete joke.

I camped it for hours and hours the other day because there was only 12 hours till the window closed. Got to him before it was even pulled with a full dps party + tank. No one died, but we still got silver because of huge lag.
Ixion is a complete joke.

I say this every time I see people bitching

You have 2 years until the next expac to get that ugly mount

Chill

I say this every time I see people bitching

You have 2 years until the next expac to get that ugly mount

Chill

In my case is not like I was camping it for hours, I was just there in the lochs just in case while waiting for queues.

Is just the realization that I need to much investment of time to get a stupid mount. Which is cool but I'd rather spent my time doing something else.

I burn Swiftcast constantly on both Susano and Lakshmi to get more damage in.

Thunder marker on me? Swiftcast Stone 4/Aero 3 while going to the other side. Knocked back? Swiftcast Stone 4 while running back. Puddles? Swiftcast. Party crossing? Swiftcast. Vrill knockback/pushback that will eat a cast? Swiftcast. Divine doubt? Swiftcast Medica 2 while I move to my spot so I can keep Dpsing before it starts casting. Hand of grace? Swiftcast. Want to get greedy and avoid precasting for Stotram? Swiftcast.

As you said, its a farm party and a farm party where I need to be ressing people is not one I want to be in. I'm not gonna sit on swiftcast outside of prog and even in prog I might need it for other shit.

I have a habit of saving swiftcast because I main AST and we have lightspeed to burn for faster spells so why burn swiftcast?

I also do not fucking trust people.

My gosh I hate those healers that won't heal you till you (the tank) have like 5% HP. Someday I will have a stroke doing roulettes because of that.

Same, because I don't know what to do, should I pop up Hallowed ground? Do I need to pop more CD's?

One time the healer told ne that I should have used HG. And I was like: How I supose to know when you're cutting it close or when you are to busy DPSing?

How convenient, I logged out last night in Idyllshire. Will fire up the game within the next hour or so. So Idyllshire has better gear than Ishgard? Not sure if I've done ARF yet, I'm up to the first 59 quest but don't think that sounds familiar. Regardless, I'll start racking them up again just by doing the daily roulette. I just need to quite being wasteful ha Also thanks for mentioning that I need it for 3.x dungeons because otherwise I'd be wondering if I should just suck it up until SB as that is likely better and also will better fit my job class of SAM for aesthetics. I'll just have to upgrade again, eventually :D Thanks a lot, guys!

ARF is the last dungeon in 3.0 so you should be hitting it really soon. It was the one everyone farmed tomestones in ("ARF 'till you barf") because it gave a flat 150 tomestones of Lore back in the day before the bonus. It was also a fairly quick and consistent dungeon to speedrun if you had the right comp.

But yeah, as a SAM, you'll be ditching it by the time you hit the level 63 dungeon in Stormblood, so I wouldn't go super out of my way to get all of the Shire gear. It surely isn't worth the trouble of augmenting it now, haha. That said, it is pretty essential that you have good gear for the level 60 SAM quest, as the boss will wreck you without it, but even just the left side will suffice for that.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I actually do this alot whenever I play with my IRL friends because we mess with each other alot while we group up.

I even made a game out of it and I call it Healer Limbo! The point of the game is to see how low we can allow the Tank HP to drop before I heal him so how low can you go!!! My highest score so far? I have let my friend playing as a Paladin drop down to 14 HP before he received a Heal.

iammeiam

I have a habit of saving swiftcast because I main AST and we have lightspeed to burn for faster spells so why burn swiftcast?

I also do not fucking trust people.

There's a pretty straightforward reason why lightspeed is situational:

Reduces MP cost for spells by 25% and cast times for spells by 2.5 seconds, while reducing damage dealt by attack magic by 50%.

This will hopefully change in Savage, but Lightspeed kind of sucks for use in any fight in-game right now because you're never going to need ten seconds of uninterrupted heal spam. Popping lightspeed is usually getting out two or three free instant healing casts and then being sad about your nerfed damage for the rest of the buff since you're back to nothing to do but malefic.

TBH I mostly use it when panicking or if I need to hard rez because shaving 2.5 seconds off a hard rez can mean sneaking it in in between other mechanics that usually prevent it. For general movement utility swift is less annoying.

There's a pretty straightforward reason why lightspeed is situational:

This will hopefully change in Savage, but Lightspeed kind of sucks for use in any fight in-game right now because you're never going to need ten seconds of uninterrupted heal spam. Popping lightspeed is usually getting out two or three free instant healing casts and then being sad about your nerfed damage for the rest of the buff since you're back to nothing to do but malefic.
Its 25% reduction in attack magic potency 50%, but yea your point still remains. I still prefer it because it is reducing my mana spent as well. I tend to use it in situations where I have AoE heal multiple times really quickly.

Hagi

Finally unlocked Dragoon and I'm lvl 35, felt like it took an age. I think I've been doing far too many side-quests to be honest, time to focus on the MSQ so I can get to Heavensward.

iammeiam

Its 25% reduction in attack magic potency 50%, but yea your point still remains. I still prefer it because it is reducing my mana spent as well. I tend to use it in situations where I have AoE heal multiple times really quickly.

My bad, I forgot to pick up the trait modifier when copy-pasting the tooltip.

AOE spam is one the better times to use it, but even Ukehi with everyone starting at half HP and the other healer dead is at best like three casts + Stellar Explosion and usually even that is sort of overkill.

The least annoying usage I've found for it so far is, funnily enough, hard-raising. Mostly because the remaining cast time eats through a lot of the buff anyway, but you can cram raises in between mechanics it'd normally be problematic with

ebil

TIL Halicarnassus has a 12 minutes enrage. She'll summon frog panels, use The Game without using Ribbit, and this wipes the group. Pretty disappointing enrage. :(

Also, finished first DPS as DRK, because of course, that's how you reach the enrage in the first place.

I must say DRK is quite enjoyable to me in these DF situations, because I can use TBN on CD on people who're going to fail mechanics to gain me a Bloodspiller. My blade is literally fueled by people's incompetence.

My bad, I forgot to pick up the trait modifier when copy-pasting the tooltip.

AOE spam is one the better times to use it, but even Ukehi with everyone starting at half HP and the other healer dead is at best like three casts + Stellar Explosion and usually even that is sort of overkill.

The least annoying usage I've found for it so far is, funnily enough, hard-raising. Mostly because the remaining cast time eats through a lot of the buff anyway, but you can cram raises in between mechanics it'd normally be problematic with
Yup that's the other time I use it for, maybe not the most 'efficient' usage of it but hell of a lot better than hard casting for 8 seconds and spending that huge chuck of mana.

TIL Halicarnassus has a 12 minutes enrage. She'll summon frog panels, use The Game without using Ribbit, and this wipes the group. Pretty disappointing enrage. :(

Also, finished first DPS as DRK, because of course, that's how you reach the enrage in the first place.

I must say DRK is quite enjoyable to me in these DF situations, because I can use TBN on CD on people who're going to fail mechanics to gain me a Bloodspiller. My blade is literally fueled by people's incompetence.

That level of incompetence sounds painful.

Ruff

just reached my first 50, should I spend the 10 silver feathers I have on the ironworks body and weapon or hold on to them a little longer til 60? They are a heck of a lot better than the wizard set the Job quest gave me, and my weapon is like level 45

If wait, Where can i pick up a decent weapon that isn't from the MSQ? (i'm only just entering dragonhold and the quest rewards are only around level 35)

Seijuro

I have real problems progressing through Stormblood campaign.
I finished the Heavensward 3.0 campaign with a lvl 60 Summoner (with secondary Scholar, who isn't geared up though) and left the game for some time.
I came back with Stormblood, but decided I don't like pet jobs no more and continued leveling my Dark Knight. Played that through the Dragonsong Wars up to lvl 62 quests in Stormblood... then decided I rather want to go Red Mage and started to level that to 58... only to decide I would rather continue on my eternal side project Monk level thatup and take that through Stormblood campaign.
Up to lvl 65 quests now... but now I got a bad itch to heal (got a lvl 50 White mage also from the ARR campaign).
I can't be the only one with these problems can I? Too many interesting classes in this game!

Top Bottom