• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

That said, what i can see happening is that SE decides to nerf Astro shield potency.

This even being a topic of discussion should scare WHMs, which is kind of odd. If Noct can't handle mitigation at least in the same ballpark as SCH, it's just going to push the auto-include to Diurnal more which doesn't end well for WHM.

ebil

This even being a topic of discussion should scare WHMs, which is kind of odd. If Noct can't handle mitigation at least in the same ballpark as SCH, it's just going to push the auto-include to Diurnal more which doesn't end well for WHM.
Exactly. Nocturnal Astrologian needs to be viable, otherwise it's just an indirect nerf to WHM.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Imagine if FFXIV played like this:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

(Dogma Online)

drac96

Just got to Heavensword. After glancing at the list of MSQs I noticed that it takes a long time to get to a dungeon. Are there just less of them, or did they realize that queueing to advance the story was a huge bummer?

Vic_Viper

lvl 68 and only 20 MSQs left to go! Cannot wait lol but I have to go to work :( That Fox Minion will be mine before the week is over!

Ran Doma Castle like 5 times today just to try and get that Chest Piece and Weapon for my NIN. Got everything but lol.

So what should I be spending my poetics on at lvl 70? Is there nothing to buy yet? Just spend them on my other characters and wait?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lvl 68 and only 20 MSQs left to go! Cannot wait lol but I have to go to work :( That Fox Minion will be mine before the week is over!

Ran Doma Castle like 5 times today just to try and get that Chest Piece and Weapon for my NIN. Got everything but lol.

So what should I be spending my poetics on at lvl 70? Is there nothing to buy yet? Just spend them on my other characters and wait?

You earn new tomes at the lvl 70 content for lvl 70 gear, poe is for old stuff

More or less. Verity is for the 310 stuff and Creation comes out Tuesday. Poetics are leftovers as the "default" for when you're raising a new character or class, which is why they release new ones in an xpac (Verity and now Creation) and have a trade-in for old tomestones (most recently lore and Scripture) because those get phased out. Creation will likely be the new "limit per week" stones, too.

scy

Exactly. Nocturnal Astrologian needs to be viable, otherwise it's just an indirect nerf to WHM.

Pretty much. I'm healing this tier and we're sitting at WHM/Noct AST simply because I like having Noct AST around more. Deep down I recognize it makes a lot more sense still for SCH/Diurnal AST so I'll have those when the time comes. There's time for Savage to make it a thing and/or optimizing later. Ultimately, Balance at even +5% still means AST has a better raid buff than WHM and gutting Noct just makes WHM less of a choice; WHM's best selling point is getting to point at using Noct AST, really, and any disturbance on the SCH or AST balance side of things just makes WHM look worse in the long run.

That or they eventually just go and give WHM a raid buff to at least go "See, we have this!"

iammeiam

Maybe they can give WHM some kind of raid-wide Mitigation ability. Maybe have it play into the whole stone theme they have in their damage or something? Cover people's skin in rocks or something?

Just got to Heavensword. After glancing at the list of MSQs I noticed that it takes a long time to get to a dungeon. Are there just less of them, or did they realize that queueing to advance the story was a huge bummer?
The first dungeon isn't a MSQ dungeon. You can unlock it after the second to last level 51 main scenario quest

Luminaire

Yeah right, they'd probably make it broken and be 10%, GCD, no cooldown. It'd make Divine Benison and the expertly thought out Lily System useless.

Away with Boulderflesh I say.

Kent

Broil II animation makes up for the SCH DPS nerf (not really but it's 10x more satisfying to use than Broil I which had a crappy animation and feedback).

Broil II feels like you are firing off constant nukes.

What are we firing off when we use Broil? Is it heat energy? Fire?

Maybe it's magic.

Considering that Flare was repurposed as being a fire-based attack rather than its original non-elemental version (I believe only FFVII, XI and XIV use it as fire-based, rather than non-elemental), we can probably interpret Broil as being that instead - which was basically microwaving the enemy (or causing a spontaneous fusion reaction - note that a couple of early Final Fantasy games had Flare's name translated as Nuke).

Note the similarities in animation between Broil and some old games' Flare, as well as the spell used by the Deltascape v4.0 boss wherein
Exdeath actually casts Flare - and it looks like a giant Broil on every target
. Note also the contrast with Shadow Flare, and the whole SMN-summoning-Bahamut thing (Bahamut traditionally uses Megaflare, a non-elemental attack).

Broil is essentially The Spell Formerly Known as Flare.

Maybe they can give WHM some kind of raid-wide Mitigation ability. Maybe have it play into the whole stone theme they have in their damage or something? Cover people's skin in rocks or something?
I had a dream and in that dream Benison would shield the whole party at 3 lilies with a cool watery effect

Now I've made myself sad

Luminaire

I had a dream and in that dream Benison would shield the whole party at 3 lilies with a cool watery effect

Now I've made myself sad
It should be...

1 Lily - 10%
2 Lily - 20% or 10% with 15y of target
3 Lily - 10% on whole party.

The more lilies used, the longer the cooldown. Lillies do not reduce cooldown for DB.

Vic_Viper

More or less. Verity is for the 310 stuff and Creation comes out Tuesday. Poetics are leftovers as the "default" for when you're raising a new character or class, which is why they release new ones in an xpac (Verity and now Creation) and have a trade-in for old tomestones (most recently lore and Scripture) because those get phased out. Creation will likely be the new "limit per week" stones, too.

Thanks for the info. Where do you guys go to find out about this stuff? Just the official patch notes? Is there a news site that covers FFXIV news?

It should be...

1 Lily - 10%
2 Lily - 20% or 10% with 15y of target
3 Lily - 10% on whole party.

The more lilies used, the longer the cooldown. Lillies do not reduce cooldown for DB.
Having detrimental effects by spending more lilies is an awful idea lol

1 Lily - 18% one target
2 Lilies - 18% one target, 90% of the CD
3 Lilies - 18% all targets within a 15y radius, 80% of the CD

Luminaire

Having detrimental effects by spending more lilies is an awful idea lol

1 Lily - 18% one target
2 Lilies - 18% one target, 90% of the CD
3 Lilies - 18% all targets within a 15y radius, 80% of the CD
Exactly the point!

Seriously though DB shouldn't require a Lily to use in the first place.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Lilies should be a toggle. Like Dark Arts or Mistweaver's Thunder Focus Tea. Oh god the Thunder Focus Tea. God cooldown. I miss Mistweaver. I wish there was a healer even remotely as fun in this game.

That'd be a start. Then they can think of better effects to put on them.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Lilies should be a toggle. Like Dark Arts or Mistweaver's Thunder Focus Tea. Oh god the Thunder Focus Tea. God cooldown. I miss Mistweaver. I wish there was a healer even remotely as fun in this game.

Fistweaver or bust.

I don't care if they were either useless or warped the meta, punch to heal.

Those WH melee priests are a close second.

So I finally tested FFXIV today, what took me so long

My Only experience with a mmorpg before was Rose, a Korea grind fest that had me hooked for 5-7 years

My first day with ffxiv is confusing. NPC and quest givers everywhere! What I enjoy with an mmo is exploring, grinding and hope to get good drops / loot

How come I dont get any equipment drops as loot when I grind, not even Money? I wish to play the game by completely ignore the story and quest givers (I guess a large chunk is mandatory).

Random fate is awesome, wish I could actually PLAY the game A.K.A grind 90% of the time and just go from fate to fate, slowly getting more Money and equips, or enough Money to buy proper gear. Is this feasable or did I get the wrong impression?

As an Archer do I really HAVE to run around and search without a clue for "targets" for the Archer guild quest? Logically I guess it should be important to do those quests..?

The music is 10/10 and impressed by the visuals as well. Also a big fan of the FF lore

Btw on ps4, missing out on the social aspect big time

Zakalwe

Banned
I bought the collection about a week ago on ps4, downloaded, logged in.... and logged out about 10 minutes later feeling utterly overwhelmed by the controls on console.

Gave it a better try last night and tried a lower level dungeon, and made a complete arse of tanking.

I know it's probably just a matter of learning the muscle memory as I've read the console controls are pretty good overall (especially the cross bar), but are there any tips anyone has or hidden QOL things everyone needs to be aware of?

Edzi

Man, people are really mean in the DFs for Susano and Lakshmi EX.
Like, come on we wiped twice, be easy.

The community has been a lot more toxic in basic dungeon parties ever since SB started, so I can only imagine how bad EX parties have gotten.

BlackJace

The community has been a lot more toxic in basic dungeon parties ever since SB started, so I can only imagine how bad EX parties have gotten.

I checked the "Practice" and "Duty Incomplete" boxes yet it still seems like people expect farm status.

Like, its fun to wipe a couple of times and learn :(

Alex

MoP Mistweaver? I like AST about as much, but I liked it too. It was my favorite along with WotLK Disc Priest.

WoD Mistweaver? Eh... I felt like Monk on the whole lost a lot of identity in WoD but it had its saving graces.

Legion Mistweaver? There is no good healing class in Legion, IMO. They're all shadows of past glory. It is supremely depressing.

studyguy

I don't think I've been in a Lakshmi party where people dont ask me to inflate them with balance. Is this what endgame has come to? lmao

We needed 5 more runs yesterday, most of my time was trying to shirk hate on my OT so I could get the blue mark and throw it on the team. That fight is fucking boring as a tank.

iammeiam

I have yet to have anyone beg for solo balance; the closest I've gotten is people being happy when cards play nice and I can chain a few AOEs together but beyond that it's been a non-issue.

How come I dont get any equipment drops as loot when I grind, not even Money? I wish to play the game by completely ignore the story and quest givers (I guess a large chunk is mandatory).

Random fate is awesome, wish I could actually PLAY the game A.K.A grind 90% of the time and just go from fate to fate, slowly getting more Money and equips, or enough Money to buy proper gear. Is this feasable or did I get the wrong impression?

As an Archer do I really HAVE to run around and search without a clue for "targets" for the Archer guild quest? Logically I guess it should be important to do those quests..?

XIV is a game that has a heavy endgame grind component in that relic completion usually pivots around repeating mundane tasks over and over to stockpile currency, but you're never going to get good gear in a world drop. Gear progression is very specific and narrow, revolving heavily around the lastest content.

Almost all content is gated behind the main story Quest, and the job quests gate important skills. Essentially you need to get through all the questing to get to a point where you can get good gear, and it'll mostly come from endgame raids or tome currency earned via running instanced endgame content.

Firebrand

When in the fuck are we going to get to kill the
Lala and traitorous Hyur Wood Wailer that worked with Ilberd
?

Are these the ones mentioned briefly in Stormblood in Fringes or Peaks?

Also, near the end there's a guy
in white armor standing with the Elder Seer
who speaks about been given a second chance, who's that?

Luminaire

So I finally tested FFXIV today, what took me so long

My Only experience with a mmorpg before was Rose, a Korea grind fest that had me hooked for 5-7 years

My first day with ffxiv is confusing. NPC and quest givers everywhere! What I enjoy with an mmo is exploring, grinding and hope to get good drops / loot

The music is 10/10 and impressed by the visuals as well. Also a big fan of the FF lore

Btw on ps4, missing out on the social aspect big time
This is not a Korean MMO. Drop that mindset ASAP for this game. Grinding mobs is not a thing, getting equipment from random enemies is not a thing.

Approach it from the method - it is a Final Fantasy game that is online. You buy new weapons at towns, get them from chests in dungeons, get them from boss fights.

Much like an FF game, there are fetch quests, talk to person X quests, kill quests, etc, it's varied. As for targets, look at your journal and click Map - you'll see red circles where your quest targets are. Also note important things are very shiny. Do all your class and job quests, also.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also, near the end there's a guy
in white armor standing with the Elder Seer
who speaks about been given a second chance, who's that?

I think
he might be a carryover from 1.0 Doesn't he mention something about Carteneau?

B.K.

I wish to play the game by completely ignore the story and quest givers (I guess a large chunk is mandatory).

You can forget about that. Even if you have Heavensward and Stormblood installed, you can't even get into those areas until you're at that point in the story. The game is very story driven. It's very much a story driven Final Fantasy first and MMO second. There's really no freedom in the game until you finish each expansion's story.

Top Bottom