• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking to meld as a warrior? I've heard a mixture of STR and Direct Hit, but I was wondering if anyone knew specifics. I think I've heard STR right side, so then direct hit left side? Should I just go all out on Direct Hit?

yaffi

Taking a break from tanking to level other stuff, and wow am I seeing some ambitious tanks when I queue for other roles. And by ambitious, I mean lacking in sound judgement. They'll pull packs of 8-10 mobs in leveling dungeons and wonder why they melt after. It's not so bad in synced 50 and 60 dungeons where that thing is a lot more manageable, but doing it unannounced when they may potentially have new players that won't be able to keep up is dumb and wastes time when their bad decision wipes the party. Are these people watching streamers and YouTube videos with big pulls and thinking that it's the absolute norm? It's like they have their mind set on it and never once gauge their party to see how doable it actually is.

I had one pulling from the start of Stone Vigil to right before the room with 5 mobs in it. So he had 7 or 8 on them that all hit hard and he got 2-shot basically. Had another in Gubal Library pulling two rooms at a time in a pug with no warning. I'm not sure he was even using cooldowns (not that he had many as a DRK) because his HP was plummeting fast. Dear aspiring tanks, just because you saw Xeno do it, doesn't mean you're gonna be able to pull it off.

I often do a big pull in the beginning to check if the group can keep up. If not (since new player doesn't equal bad all the time, and vice versa), I go into slowpoke safe mode.

That said, doing big pulls in <50 dungeons (other than the big pull before the first boss in Dzemael) is mostly dumb.

Scrawnton

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking to meld as a warrior? I've heard a mixture of STR and Direct Hit, but I was wondering if anyone knew specifics. I think I've heard STR right side, so then direct hit left side? Should I just go all out on Direct Hit?
I know as a PLD I have been, and was told to, focus on Direct Hit on the left and STR in the right. That seems to be the ideal material for all tanks right now.

I'd hold onto materias until the live letter / tuesday to know what the fuck they are doing with the tank accessory situation, if anything at all.

That dungeon with the headstones was really cool. The bosses are really challenging.

Game keeps getting better after the bad first 20 hours.

Lemme buy some game time hohohohoh.

Grisby

Coming back to the game after a while. Wow, they changed up WHM didn't they?

So no more stance dancing as it's a cool down now? They also took my virus ability away. :(

Is the lily thing completely passive? Seems like it.

Don't know when I'll be able to get to Stormblood proper, but I'm moving through post dragonsong stuff at a good clip. The scene I finished last night was a little sad.
Big papa bit the big one trying to seal that primal, but is he truly dead in a universe such as FF?

Luminaire

Coming back to the game after a while. Wow, they changed up WHM didn't they?

So no more stance dancing as it's a cool down now? They also took my virus ability away. :(

Is the lily thing completely passive? Seems like it.

Don't know when I'll be able to get to Stormblood proper, but I'm moving through post dragonsong stuff at a good clip. The scene I finished last night was a little sad.
Big papa bit the big one trying to seal that primal, but is he truly dead in a universe such as FF?

No need to swap into DPS stance as dmg scales off mind now. New Cleric Stance is just a 5% buff now.

Virus has been split between physical and magical and given to DPS. It's their problem now.

WHM has the best mana economy, best personal damage, and best raw healing now but offers little in terms of utility. Lillies need some work, so maybe we'll see some changes in 4.05

XenoRaven

Is there a macro that targets the nearest ally with an ability, or am I going to have to scroll through the party list every time I want to put Dragon Sight on someone?

Is there a macro that targets the nearest ally with an ability, or am I going to have to scroll through the party list every time I want to put Dragon Sight on someone?
You can organize the party list so specific jobs are in specific positions and macro it to cast on said position with <#>

I'd use that on Paean to make sure it automatically cast on our WAR.

studyguy

Yall see the new treasure map dungeons whew lads
http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002094.html
20170714_iw_jp009.jpg

20170714_iw_jp006.jpg

20170714_iw_jp015.jpg

Aquapolis: Golden Saucer Boogaloo

I can't wait to get trolled by doors again.

Safros

I have HW and SB on disc (separately). When I have had to re-install the game at times, I have been able to install HW from the disc rather than download it. It downloads the base game then installs the rest from the disc. Also, I have never needed the disc to play.

Nice. Physical it is then.
Thank you.

Robin64

/micon "Dragon Sight"
/merror off
/tpc
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight"
/tle

LordKasual

Banned
Let your heart rise at your DPS numbers, and then sink as you see you're beating the other DPS by 400. For the whole dungeon.

LOL...I wanted to mention this, but i'm just assuming that it's going to fall off at some point...SAM and RDM are typically way above me, but man...i'm either matching or just outright beating the other ones in dungeon DPS. Thin Air + Presence + Cleric, throw an Assize in there and swiftcast a holy at the end of the duration. Feels great.

WHM Lilies are...well they work. They just add a tiny bit of "bonus" to how you would already play WHM in 3.0? I used to use it to keep having Assize up even faster but since so many tanks like to punch above their weight, im finding it wiser to just save 3 for Asylum.

I wanted to be angry that our new stoneskin (Divine Benison) requires a Lily to activate. But after playing a few dungeons with it yesterday, i've noticed that I may actually prefer it that way, since it's off gcd AND requires no MP to use. It's cooldown isn't long enough for me to waste the 20% CDR on it, but i can appreciate that it may become significant in raiding situations. Cure II is a guaranteed lily anyway, so I just view it as a sort of "Cure II Combo". Or, something to supplement when I decide to weave Regen into a cure and you get that extra long GCD wait with nothing to do.

It's starting to feel like the point behind the lilies is rewarding you for foresight. I think the most clunky part would be how you spend them, but in fairness i don't really know how else they could implement it. I'd feel like a "Dark Arts" style system would be too slow for my comfort.

Vic_Viper

Only 90 days of Subbing left till I get Cloud's Chest peice from FFVII AC! Thats a $360 Chest piece for Glamouring lol. Ive been using Snow's alot but Cloud's looks even better.

Unlocking the lvl 67 Trial right now, soooo close to finishing SB.

Luigi87

So I suppose I may as well start melding the MatV that SB so graciously gave away on the 310 stuff I buy, and save MatVI for better gear later?

Scrawnton

So I suppose I may as well start melding the MatV that SB so graciously gave away on the 310 stuff I buy, and save MatVI for better gear later?
If you actively participate in hunts it is easy to get MatVI. Each A rank kill gives you an item you can trade for any MatVI you want.

Grisby

No need to swap into DPS stance as dmg scales off mind now. New Cleric Stance is just a 5% buff now.

Virus has been split between physical and magical and given to DPS. It's their problem now.

WHM has the best mana economy, best personal damage, and best raw healing now but offers little in terms of utility. Lillies need some work, so maybe we'll see some changes in 4.05
I see, I see.

*FF14 nodding head syndrome*

Wanted to get back into this after years of being gone, only to find out that I've been signed out of the Token app, and can't log back into it.
Should have bought a stupid keychain. I probably couldn't be signed out of those....I think.

-_-

Well, guess I'm never playing FFXIV again.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wanted to get back into this after years of being gone, only to find out that I've been signed out of the Token app, and can't log back into it.
Should have bought a stupid keychain. I probably couldn't be signed out of those....I think.

-_-

hit up support

Luminaire

-_-

hit up support
This.

My friend lost his phone in 2014 and it had his token app on it. He never wrote it down either. He started playing again last month, hit the same situation. Support was able to help him pretty quickly. I believe they'll want some identification to make sure you did pilfer the account. I believe he called, dunno if that has better luck.

MattyG

Banned
So my character isn't on Ultros with the rest of the GAF fc, but will I be able to pay the fee to transfer to it eventually or is it just full up and I'll always have to stick with where I am?

The worst part is that if anyone wants to try PvP, they end up not knowing what to do, maybe need some guidance and nothing makes any sense whatsoever because people aren't really playing it.

I know my first (and only) match the other day was incredibly confusing and made no sense whatsoever.

v1perz53

I often do a big pull in the beginning to check if the group can keep up. If not (since new player doesn't equal bad all the time, and vice versa), I go into slowpoke safe mode.

That said, doing big pulls in <50 dungeons (other than the big pull before the first boss in Dzemael) is mostly dumb.

Its especially dumb in groups where the DPS are synced below the level that they have any real AoE, but the tank pulls a ton of shit. Double points if it is a Pal synced to where he only has flash. So now the DPS are still killing one thing at a time, but the tank is losing DPS cause he has to Flash more which does no damage, and the healer isn't able to contribute to DPS cause the tank is getting railed, so the big pull has successfully REDUCED the group's overall DPS. Nothing triggers me worse than that in something like Sastasha if I'm levelling like Dragoon or some class without low level AoE.

Now if I'm on my Blm, by all means go crazy, I'll spam my Fire II until the key falls off, but at least take a second to understand what abilities your group has available before you go crazy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I work from home and normally check the marketboard throughout the day, buy cheap stuff and relist it. I just bought something where the seller obviously left off a number and I got the item for 10 million cheaper. What is the protocol here? Should I hold it for a certain about of time to see if the seller contacts me before using the item or relisting it?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I work from home and normally check the marketboard throughout the day, buy cheap stuff and relist it. I just bought something where the seller obviously left off a number and I got the item for 10 million cheaper. What is the protocol here? Should I hold it for a certain about of time to see if the seller contacts me before using the item or relisting it?

loooooooooooooooooooooool

Congratulations

Ikkarus

Out of sheer curiosity what did you buy?

Contact you for what reason?

Uh, throw it back up on the board. Good chance they're not going to contact you. I mean, if you want you could always reach out to them instead.

Stuart444

So used DRK in a dungeon for the first time, got the vault. It went pay okay but is it just me or is blood price a bit shit now? Feels like it is anyway

Congrats on the item.

TheChaos0

So used DRK in a dungeon for the first time, got the vault. It went pay okay but is it just me or is blood price a bit shit now? Feels like it is anyway

It's pretty bad right now, unless you pull a lot of mobs and by a lot I mean a lot. On the other hand Grit amplifies siphon strike.

Top Bottom