• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

duckroll

Checking the Japanese coverage thread on the Live Letter since the English one likes to randomly skip stuff they don't want to translate...

Q:
竜騎士に関して、他のDPSと比べた場合、操作難易度に対して竜騎士単独で出せるDPSが低いと感じます。「バトルリタニ―」などの強力な支援能力があるのは理解していますが、3.X時代のように単独でもダメージを稼げるような調整を行う予定はありますか?

A:
単独のダメージ底上げについては、全体的に足りていない部分は上げます。
・ミラージュダイブの硬直時間の変更
・ドラゴンサイトの発動条件が 6m以内 → 12m以内に
・ソニックスラストへのコンボボーナス(「蒼の竜血」の効果時間10秒延長する」)の追加
・蒼の竜血は効果時間を20秒に変更。
・イルーシブジャンプは リキャストタイムを30秒に変更。

コンボの側面/背面などの方向指定の話もありますが、あれ以上減らすとただ後ろで殴っている状態になるので、いったんそこはおいています。
ある程度底上げされているので、パッチ4.05でプレイしてみてフィードバックをお願いします。

The main changes in 4.05 will be:

- Mirage Dive animation length will be adjusted
- Dragon Sight range extended to 12m
- Sonic Thrust combo bonus will now include a 10 second extension to BotD
- BotD duration starts at 20 seconds now
- Elusive Jump's cooldown is now 30 seconds

They will monitor feedback after 4.05 for more complex changes to the class.

(I'm not sure who the fuck thought Sonic Thrust needed that change or how it helps at all....)

For those interested, this thread is waaaaaay better than the English one: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/337122-第37回FFXIVプロデューサーレターLIVE-速報-(2017-07-15)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://ff14net.2chblog.jp/archives/51698215.html
lol lochs instances are back with 4.05
potential 3 ixions in a row :p

Unless they make it so the spawn timer randomization is shared between the three instances, that doesn't fix the problem as each instance will be spammed one at a time.

The fix would be to either...

1. Increase the number of horns Ixion drops, so people have to do it less
2. Lower the horn requirements for the mount, so people have to do it less

Unless they make it so the spawn timer randomization is shared between the three instances, that doesn't fix the problem as each instance will be spammed one at a time.

The fix would be to either...

1. Increase the number of horns Ixion drops, so people have to do it less
2. Lower the horn requirements for the mount, so people have to do it less

The issue isn't so much ppl filling up the instance when Ixion spawns. I mean that's annoying and all but that'll sort itself out over time. The issue is people filling up the instance when Ixion can spawn, preventing anyone from entering the zone anymore until he finally spawns and gets killed. This happens on full servers like Gilgamesh, where for 2-6hours, you just can't enter Lochs anymore cause Ixion window is open, which means no new player can finish the MSQ and gatherers can't get their stuff.

Having 3 instances would fix that problem. Sure the Ixion part is still gonna suck, but at least people will be able to do non Ixion related stuff even when Ixion is ready to spawn.

They really should have done something with Eyes but the Sonic change is good. Not being able to AoE and keep BoTD up sucks, specially because of GK/Nastrond

DRG shouldn't be THAT bad in Savage considering fights have very little untargetability. Buff alignment will still fucking suck and they'll still be punished heavily by mistaes but it's a lot more doable than having to deal with Susano's bullshit.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
(I'm not sure who the fuck thought Sonic Thrust needed that change or how it helps at all....)]

It's not going to matter for savage (barring some hidden aoe phase have to hit all 4 parts of Neo please be excited), but it makes the AOE rotation a little nicer in dungeons, at least; being able to actually use Nastrond in huge pulls and all without doing some weird shit.

dramatis

If I'm a lvl 60 gatherer with the base 3.0 hq gear, I think it was serpent skin, without slotted materia, how should I go about leveling? Should I try and grind until I hit 61 and buy hq or vendor gear, or should I buy the ironworks gear so that I can gather easier?
Not sure how poop the stats are in comparison to the gear I had, but I don't think spending on ironworks would be that good.

Get yourself some cordials and get popping on levequests for gatherers in Kugane, they're quite generous with the exp if you complete quickly (get bonus).

You can also try to do the level 60 2-star collectable, but I'm not sure if you can get it to 450 collectable level (should be okay if you have a proper rotation). This helps not only in getting hand-in exp, but red scrips which you can spend on lvl 65 gatherer gear once you manage to get to that level, I suppose.

Don't spend red scrips on level 65 gear, spend it on the augmented lvl 60 artifact armor instead. Those will carry you to 70 easily.

Getting red scrips gets a lot easier once you hit 63 and get the unspoiled trait.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sadly, I think it says everything about the dev team currently when the player base finds a better skill rotation than they did...and they punish the players for it.

ebil

They're not punishing the players, ninja is slightly overtuned considering everything it brings to a raid and needs to be nerfed a little. I just don't like that it makes optimization more awkward than it should be.

That's still a sad excuse, mind you.

Yoshida: However, we're planning to touch on glamour in the future, and we're planning functions such as accessing glamour history.
Oh shit does that mean glamour log?!
Sadly, I think it says everything about the dev team currently when the player base finds a better skill rotation than they did...and they punish the players for it.
I mean, that's what balancing a game means? No game dev can take every possible optimization into account when balancing a game, NIN wasn't intended to do as much damage as it does currently so they're toning it down, it has nothing to do with "punishing" players.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They're not punishing the players, ninja is slightly overtuned considering everything it brings to a raid and needs to be nerfed a little. I just don't like that it makes optimization more awkward than it should be.

That's still a sad excuse, mind you.

Ninja
- Potency for Gust Slash will be reduced. The reason for this is because the players found a stronger skill rotation than those the dev. team was using while making adjustments.

The translation outright says it. Players found something better, fuck you, we have to adjust it. Could have just said "it was a bit too strong." =P

Oh shit does that mean glamour log?!

I mean, that's what balancing a game means? No game dev can take every possible optimization into account when balancing a game, NIN wasn't intended to do as much damage as it does currently so they're toning it down, it has nothing to do with "punishing" players.

Has everything to do with the way they say it. "We found this to be a bit more powerful than we intended." is way different than "You guys found something that made this very powerful and we can't have that going around..."

duckroll

It's so you don't get forced into ST combo if you want to keep BoTD up during AOE pulls in dungeons, that was a commonly requested buff.

They really should have done something with Eyes but the Sonic change is good. Not being able to AoE and keep BoTD up sucks, specially because of GK/Nastrond

DRG shouldn't be THAT bad in Savage considering fights have very little untargetability. Buff alignment will still fucking suck and they'll still be punished heavily by mistaes but it's a lot more doable than having to deal with Susano's bullshit.

It's not going to matter for savage (barring some hidden aoe phase have to hit all 4 parts of Neo please be excited), but it makes the AOE rotation a little nicer in dungeons, at least; being able to actually use Nastrond in huge pulls and all without doing some weird shit.

Okay that makes sense. I've never really felt that balancing AOE with BotD was that hard, but maybe that shows I don't AOE as much as I should in dungeons?

ebil

Ninja
- Potency for Gust Slash will be reduced. The reason for this is because the players found a stronger skill rotation than those the dev. team was using while making adjustments.

The translation outright says it. Players found something better, fuck you, we have to adjust it. Could have just said "it was a bit too strong." =P
"
Yes, which is why I said (twice, at that) that it's a bad excuse/wording. That doesn't come down to punishing players.

edit: I also sort of want to believe they say it like this because they want the players to feel smart, but it comes off as bad testing to me. I don't even know what kind of rotation they had envisioned, lol.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's not punishing players, that's a balance change. NIN being as strong as it is now makes as little sense as BLM being handily outdamaged by RDM.

On one hand it makes sense that it's a fairly low-level nerf on the other hand NIN at really low levels super sucks now without Mutilate and this will make it even weaker. But oh well, can't really care about that Sastasha balance.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Okay that makes sense. I've never really felt that balancing AOE with BotD was that hard, but maybe that shows I don't AOE as much as I should in dungeons?

Should be aoeing pretty much everytime there's 4 enemies if it's the same as HW; though maybe you're just pro, I barely touched DRG since getting it to 70!

Has everything to do with the way they say it. "We found this to be a bit more powerful than we intended." is way different than "You guys found something that made this very powerful and we can't have that going around..."
It makes no difference whether it was the dev team that found out or that players did lol the result is the same.

I like the honesty

"Lol you guys found a better rotation than us is just a couple of weeks. So NIN ended being more powerful that we expected"

I mean, it is what it is, they won't let a job unbalanced just because the community are better players than the devs.

ebil

I'm happy they never talked about adjusting our ability to Doton > Hide > Katon during AOE pulls (not that it would be easy to pull off with the way the game works anyway). NIN AOE feels great right now because of this and I don't want them to take it away. D:

I'm happy they never talked about adjusting our ability to Doton > Hide > Katon during AOE pulls (not that it would be easy to pull off with the way the game works anyway). NIN AOE feels great right now because of this and I don't want them to take it away. D:
I wonder if they'll do something about Jin Ten Chi though

ebil

I wonder if they'll do something about Jin Ten Chi though
Hopefully they'll make it slightly less clunky to use (I personally think removing the Ninjutsu requirement after every mudra would make it more enjoyable to use) but I'm not expecting anything before 3.1 at the very least.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Q24. Please let us know if you’ve finalized the number of slots that will be added in the second Inventory and Armoury Chest expansion.

A24. Unless we change from the current method, we do not think we can add any more slots. There are other factors to consider, such as managing inventory through the upcoming app, so this will take a little more time. It would be difficult to implement it by 4.1, but it is not so far off.
Q25. The inventory and Armour Chest expansion has helped a lot, but would it be possible to increase retainer’s inventory as well?

A25. The number of items available has increased in Patch 4.0. We’re making sure that important data isn’t lost, and also so that it can’t be exploited, so it’s difficult to just simply add more slots. Currently, the disparity between those who use a lot of retainers, and those who don’t, is quite large, and we’re a bit worried about this. We would like to observe the amount of retainers being used post the launch of 4.0 before we make future adjustments.
The dream is dead.

Nightz

Hit level 49 and ready for the last few missions...but I'm leaving for a 2 1/2 week vacation in a bit. Wanted to at least get through Ultima Weapon, but alas, that'll have to wait. Things just started getting good too.

iammeiam

Somehow both the US and JP PLL OF summary threads just straight up skip the machinist changes; I now really want to know if they made changes to Barrel Stabilizer, because alongside the 5% -> 8% buff change for Hot Shot, they reduced the heat it generates from 10 to 5; this bumps the GCD count to get from 0 to 50 from 9 to 10, which is the opposite of what you'd want to happen. They're also taking the -10 potency out of Quick Reload, which would make Cooldown the only way to dump heat.

It's also a little interesting that no mention of crafted gear was made and I don't think they showed off tome gear. I still worry about the nightmare scenario where the tome gear is just an AF3 upgrade... somehow.

I mean they did say glamour log is probably going to be a thing(although I'd assume 4.2 rather than 4.1), so retainer space is kinda whatever? I'd like them to display both pages at the same time, that'd be great, but I don't feel they need more slots, and it makes sense they don't increase them since they sell them.

But once you can remove all the glamour shit from the retainers, there's really not that much left unless you like keeping every single crafting item possible including shit you can buy on vendors or that's worth 10g on the market. Mind you I had to clear 2 full retainers like this, had almost every 2.0 materials/monster drop/processed food in 20-99 stacks. Most of it I just threw in the trash(NPC vendor) cause it wasn't worth anything anyway, and some of it for money, and bam that was 2 retainers almost entirely empty(kept some processed food annoying stuff and some of the unspoiled node stuff so I don't have to gather more later).

Mostly my retainers now have a lot of various armors and weapons for various different classes and even that I cleaned up a good bit, like everything I can buy with poetics I removed, everything I can buy from calamity vendor I removed, so it isn't as bad anymore, and HW/SB mats. HW I'll probably clean up soon, I kept cause I still had to do my HW class quests for crafters but now that I have everything done I don't need most of it.

kiyomi

How is this even possible?

I'm kind of a newcomer to playing an MMO for any length of time so the whole idea of classes having wild imbalances and the devs not understanding how their players will play is unthinkable to me. Other multiplayer genres manage a semblance of balance with 100+ characters, and that's competitively, and in scenarios where team composition can change wildly etc.

It's really really surprising to see so many people on here or the XIV Reddit complaining about balancing issues to me.

I'm kind of a newcomer to playing an MMO for any length of time so the whole idea of classes having wild imbalances and the devs not understanding how their players will play is unthinkable to me. Other multiplayer genres manage a semblance of balance with 100+ characters, and that's competitively, and in scenarios where team composition can change wildly etc.

It's really really surprising to see so many people on here or the XIV Reddit complaining about balancing issues to me.

People complain about balance issues when stuff is within 5-10% of each other. This is vastly different than dota/lol where stuff is just widly different and is balanced through other means by reinforcing strengths, weaknesses and synergy. No one knows or cares which ADC/carry does the most DPS on a non moving target in those games cause that's an unrealistic situation, but in mmo raids, that's a large part of the raiding content and small differences in optimal output have an impact on balance.

Also it's unrealistic for devs to think of all possibly ways they line up skills and things like that. This happens all the time, this case wasn't any different other than they came out and said it was that. But literally every other cases when a DPS does more damage than another, it's also an issue of that. If their RDM testers played as well as the best players, they probably would have noticed BLMs not doing enough damage, but they probably didn't play as well, so they figured DPS was in the right spot cause they didn't optimize enough.

BlackJace

The fey union range change is good, but otherwise it sounds like they don't think scholar has a problem. Jesus.

It's a start, but I would really appreciate an increase in potency for Succor. The potency is simply much too low for how much MP it's asking for.
Aside from Miasma II, our damage rotation is still trash. Shadow Flare was better as a spell. Also, they still need to ease up on how much Bane loses strength, jesus
Also, I will continue to be baffled at why we can't (?) get Sustain back.

Somehow both the US and JP PLL OF summary threads just straight up skip the machinist changes; I now really want to know if they made changes to Barrel Stabilizer, because alongside the 5% -> 8% buff change for Hot Shot, they reduced the heat it generates from 10 to 5; this bumps the GCD count to get from 0 to 50 from 9 to 10, which is the opposite of what you'd want to happen. They're also taking the -10 potency out of Quick Reload, which would make Cooldown the only way to dump heat.

It's also a little interesting that no mention of crafted gear was made and I don't think they showed off tome gear. I still worry about the nightmare scenario where the tome gear is just an AF3 upgrade... somehow.
I'm pretty sure tome gear was confirmed not being job locked so I'm just expecting it to be those contest winners. Upgraded AF would be... unfortunate to say the least but I'll take the excuse to not have to play AST.

And hey rook seppuku does 800 pot damage now!

It's just not feasible to come up with every single possible scenario. Multiplayer games manage a semblance of balance - also the game is nowhere near as imbalanced as complaints make it out to be - but they constantly fuck up and have to quickly fix shit. League of Legends constantly puts out overpowered/underpowered champions because players come up with builds that the devs didn't envision or champs are garbage vs experienced players.

You simply can't expect a couple hundred people to figure out things as fast as several thousand players running this shit for several hours a day.

iammeiam

One consistent through line is that the XIV dev team essentially never understands how players are going to react to anything. Ever. They spent early HW claiming there were magic secret rotations they'd balanced the ranged jobs against, then had to give up and buff them when it turned out no. The tank accessory thing we're seeing right now was highly predictable but completely blindsided them.

Like, they didn't realize that a giant untcontrollabe pet following summoners and obscuring everyone's view would be a problem.

They're bad at understanding how things they put in the game will be leveraged by players; it's not new at all.

Yeah, they made heat management simpler at >50, but the drag from 0 to 50 stays.
I still welcome these changes, though.

I'm just trying to figure out if the way it was phrased leaves the door open to a change to stabilizer; none of what they outlined helps the actual gameplay loop at all and Overheat still needs adjustment on its own to not be awful.

kiyomi

It's just not feasible to come up with every single possible scenario. Multiplayer games manage a semblance of balance - also the game is nowhere near as imbalanced as complaints make it out to be - but they constantly fuck up and have to quickly fix shit. League of Legends constantly puts out overpowered/underpowered champions because players come up with builds that the devs didn't envision or champs are garbage vs experienced players.

You simply can't expect a couple hundred people to figure out things as fast as several thousand players running this shit for several hours a day.

I'm not arguing that the devs are bad or anything, I'm just curious about it, considering the effort involved into making SB. The scope (to me) seems way smaller than a game like LoL/DotA, but like I say, I still consider myself a newcomer and I'm just asking questions. I'll be interested to see how quickly they can "balance" the game in the eyes of the players. How has it been in the past?

~Cross~

Like, they didn't realize that a giant untcontrollabe pet following summoners and obscuring everyone's view would be a problem.

Oh they knew, they just gave the fans exactly what they wanted in this case.

Egis were designed small to not clutter the screen and people demanded large summons because duurr we are summoners we need big shit and now they are going "shit is too big!"

scy

On the other hand, what exactly are the players doing here with NIN that necessitated -20 potency on all of their combos? JCT instead of TCJ? 5th GCD TA? Literally the rest of their opener and general priority is as simple as "Use all of your buttons."

With how binary of a level the game operates at, League, etc. comparisons feel fairly flat as they have room for things unrelated to the specific numbers involved. That isn't really XIV. It's about fitting as close to a math equation and that's simply all of it.

How has it been in the past?

Balance in general has been in the spot of "Everything is viable" but that's more a case of discrepancies never being large enough to actually stop players outside of public perception. Individual balance stuff has typically been "this is just better than that" levels of binary comparisons and I'd argue historically it's been really bad. It's just, again, it rarely matters in terms of what you can or cannot do.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not sure how poop the stats are in comparison to the gear I had, but I don't think spending on ironworks would be that good.

Get yourself some cordials and get popping on levequests for gatherers in Kugane, they're quite generous with the exp if you complete quickly (get bonus).

You can also try to do the level 60 2-star collectable, but I'm not sure if you can get it to 450 collectable level (should be okay if you have a proper rotation). This helps not only in getting hand-in exp, but red scrips which you can spend on lvl 65 gatherer gear once you manage to get to that level, I suppose.

Thanks!

With Victor's help I can now get 450 collectable level.

One consistent through line is that the XIV dev team essentially never understands how players are going to react to anything. Ever. They spent early HW claiming there were magic secret rotations they'd balanced the ranged jobs against, then had to give up and buff them when it turned out no. The tank accessory thing we're seeing right now was highly predictable but completely blindsided them.

They're bad at understanding how things they put in the game will be leveraged by players; it's not new at all.
Oh yeah, they definitely seem to be caught with their pants down more often than not, but most of the time they do try adress stuff somewhat.
I'm not arguing that the devs are bad or anything, I'm just curious about it, considering the effort involved into making SB. The scope (to me) seems way smaller than a game like LoL/DotA, but like I say, I still consider myself a newcomer and I'm just asking questions. I'll be interested to see how quickly they can "balance" the game in the eyes of the players. How has it been in the past?
It depends. Sometimes they can be relatively quick - WAR and DRG in 2.0 - sometimes they'll tip toe around issues until they're finally fixed but the tip toeing creates more issues - everything that has ever been done to AST since 3.0.

duckroll

Why do you think this is so though? Certainly can't say they are inexperienced. They weren't when ARR launched, and even if they were, we're 4 years in and at the second expansion now. They aren't terrible developers either, many of them come from solid teams within the company which worked on big titles. It isn't arrogance either, they are humble and honest about changes and take player feedback very seriously.

What is it then? Are they actually just really, really, really terrible at their own game for some unexplainable reason?!

iammeiam

I'm not arguing that the devs are bad or anything, I'm just curious about it, considering the effort involved into making SB. The scope (to me) seems way smaller than a game like LoL/DotA, but like I say, I still consider myself a newcomer and I'm just asking questions. I'll be interested to see how quickly they can "balance" the game in the eyes of the players.

Their own explanation of how they tested balance is a thing.
Twinfinite: Could you talk a little bit about the process into making these changes? Did you consider the endgame activities that players would face in FFXIV: Stormblood when designing the job action changes, or were they made independent of that with a different goal in mind?

Yoshida: So when the development team (including Mr. Yoshida), perform their balancing of the jobs they look at it from a two prong approach. The content that the players go into is actually irrelevant to this approach.

So the first prong would be, say for example you have your striking dummy. This job will continue to do their skill rotation for a straight two minutes, and see how much DPS is yielded from that timed measure. The second prong will be how difficult is it to control that specific job. Is it complicated to control? So those are the things that they (the development team and Yoshida-san) keep in mind when adjusting the balance of jobs. Raid content and etc. doesn’t necessarily matter in terms of that.

And so after the individual job balance has been performed, then we look at balancing the difficult for the raid content, and that’s when we make sure there’s no disparity with how these jobs are being utilized within that content. That’s when we go into the raid and make sure that the difficulty level is not so different no matter what combination of your party is going into it and then they would adjust the mechanics. If they find any actions that are OP they would adjust it from there.

Reading that it's kind of unsurprising most of what came out is kind of wonky.

Oh they knew, they just gave the fans exactly what they wanted in this case.

Egis were designed small to not clutter the screen and people demanded large summons because duurr we are summoners we need big shit and now they are going "shit is too big!"

Garuda being Bahamut sized wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue, because you can send them to go stand off to the side and they will. Bahamut being totally uncontrollable is just all around awful. Aside from the obvious visibility problems that pop up the second you have a summoner stack with the group, it's super dumb that he will stop casting to follow the summoner around if they move.

Let summoners actually place Bahamut somewhere instead of having him in constant creepy stalker mode would fix a lot of it.

Vic_Viper

Now that im lvl 70 with my NIN once I get a good Weapon Id like to check out adding Materia to it.

Does anyone have a guide that explains Materia Melding? What is Melding? Just equiping it to your gear/weapon? Or are you able to combine 2 different Materia creating 1 new one? Not exactly sure how it works.

Also which Materia should I be using? Direct Hit and something else? Crit?

On the other hand, what exactly are the players doing here with NIN that necessitated -20 potency on all of their combos? JCT instead of TCJ? 5th GCD TA? Literally the rest of their opener and general priority is as simple as "Use all of your buttons."

With how binary of a level the game operates at, League, etc. comparisons feel fairly flat as they have room for things unrelated to the specific numbers involved. That isn't really XIV. It's about fitting as close to a math equation and that's simply all of it.
Maybe it has something to do with JCT in relation to Savage since JCT depends on Doton hitting most of its ticks? I dunno, that's basically all I can think of.

Now that im lvl 70 with my NIN once I get a good Weapon Id like to check out adding Materia to it.

Does anyone have a guide that explains Materia Melding? What is Melding? Just equiping it to your gear/weapon? Or are you able to combine 2 different Materia creating 1 new one? Not exactly sure how it works.

Also which Materia should I be using? Direct Hit and something else? Crit?

Melding is the process of applying materias to gear basically. It can be done by the right crafter or by the NPCs you can find in most towns(icon is a blue stone, basically a materia). Costs a pittance in gold to have the NPC do it. For most combat gear the NPC is basically equal to a crafter, but crafter can overmeld(ingame called forbidden meld) on crafted gear, which lets you put more materia than the slots, up to 5. Probably won't be relevant for much combat wise though and crafted gear always costs a fortune anyway plus overmelding also costs a fortune cause it has a low % to succeed and all.

You can also combine materias to upgrade them to the next tier, that's done in Central Thanalan where you get the materia quest(might need lvl 20+crafter to get the quest though).

As for what materia, it seems currently for most classes Direct hit > Crit > Det.

ebil

Maybe it has something to do with JCT in relation to Savage since JCT depends on Doton hitting most of its ticks? I dunno, that's basically all I can think of.
Doton is also believed to be bugged right now and counts as physical damage (which means it's benefiting from Dripping Blades). It's pretty funny.

Top Bottom