• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Hey guys sorry to bug you but whats with rush hour DPS I've been running into lately in DF?

I'm a Dark Knight and while running through dungeons is what I find the most find lately I've been running into DPS that keep pulling stuff before I even get the chance to move. It's kinda killing the fun I was having earlier.

Whats the general Tank response to this? I dont want to leave because that seems to extreme but if I type anything it usually gets ignored.

Hey guys sorry to bug you but whats with rush hour DPS I've been running into lately in DF?

I'm a Dark Knight and while running through dungeons is what I find the most find lately I've been running into DPS that keep pulling stuff before I even get the chance to move. It's kinda killing the fun I was having earlier.

Whats the general Tank response to this? I dont want to leave because that seems to extreme but if I type anything it usually gets ignored.

You can either pull it from them or pretend not to notice in time and let them die.

BlackJace

Community's been really weird about content at the moment. I imagine (I hope) most of the super hardc0re group moves on to Savage and casual content returns to normal.

Kenai

As a tank you are allowed to dictate pull speed. Tell them to chill, or if they continue Shirk the next boss and let them tank the floor. It's a shame but if they won't listen and it's a big deal to you, you can make them listen.

Kent

Oh and today I saw a player flying on a Whisper (my avatar), from Yo-kai Watch.

I RAN TO THE INTERNET ONLY TO FIND THIS

From July to October 2016

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2016/youkai-watch/

EDnuF2z.gif

I'm still level 41, I haven't unlocked all the actions and stuff.

But so far I have a fewmacros, like Misery's End and Bloodletter before every attack. Not having to worry about those two moves is already a huge plus.

I was trying to make a macro for Mage's Ballad > Misery > Blood > Poison > Wind but I couldn't figure out how, the macro kept repeating Poison and never activated Wind. Apparently it's not possible because Poison and Wind have the same cooldown time.

Literally everyone who was around for that event and is an event completionist absolutely goddamn hates Yo-Kai Watch now.

Additionally: If anyone tells you to use a macro for any weaponskill or spell, disregard them immediately and until further notice.

Using macros for anything other than hotbar modifications, mechanics notifications or certain abilities (key word) is a quick way to become incredibly, incredibly bad at your job. Especially as DPS, especially as one that has lower DPS in lieu of support functions, such as BRD or MCH.

The reason for this is because of an input mechanic called queueing. Queueing occurs when you press the button for an action before you're able to execute that action - if you do so within a certain time window, you'll queue the action to be executed immediately when you are able. This does not occur with actions that you attempt to execute via text commands (which are how macros function), so the end result is that you can only ever execute an action after your GCD is available. Fractions of seconds may not sound like much, but over the course of even a few-minutes-long fight, it'll add up to be a substantial loss of DPS, which is already at a premium given your job.

That, and due to the nature of your job of choice (and this holds true, though for varying specifics, for every job), you're doing yourself a disservice by not being mindful of the mechanics that go toward making your job work. You're going to have to be mindful of a lot more things going forward as a BRD, so you probably don't want to get into the practice of ignoring as much as possible via using macros.

"You pull it, you tank it."

As a result of how they function, it's the tank's job to lead the party into combat. If someone else wants to be disruptive and pull for you, let them tank it. They'll probably die because of that, but it's their own fault.

Accidents happen, of course, and everyone's accidentally face-pulled (or ass-pulled) one or more groups in Aurum Vale. But if they're intentionally running ahead and pulling things for you, let them know not to do this, and if they persist or make a fuss about it, kick them so they can enjoy another half-hour queue.

Literally everyone who was around for that event and is an event completionist absolutely goddamn hates Yo-Kai Watch now.

Additionally: If anyone tells you to use a macro for any weaponskill or spell, disregard them immediately and until further notice.

Using macros for anything other than hotbar modifications, mechanics notifications or certain abilities (key word) is a quick way to become incredibly, incredibly bad at your job. Especially as DPS, especially as one that has lower DPS in lieu of support functions, such as BRD or MCH.

The reason for this is because of an input mechanic called queueing. Queueing occurs when you press the button for an action before you're able to execute that action - if you do so within a certain time window, you'll queue the action to be executed immediately when you are able. This does not occur with actions that you attempt to execute via text commands (which are how macros function), so the end result is that you can only ever execute an action after your GCD is available. Fractions of seconds may not sound like much, but over the course of even a few-minutes-long fight, it'll add up to be a substantial loss of DPS, which is already at a premium given your job.

That, and due to the nature of your job of choice (and this holds true, though for varying specifics, for every job), you're doing yourself a disservice by not being mindful of the mechanics that go toward making your job work. You're going to have to be mindful of a lot more things going forward as a BRD, so you probably don't want to get into the practice of ignoring as much as possible via using macros.
Thanks for the replies, but all of that sounds like min and max to me.

I don't think I'm going to have fun if I have to pay attention to every Bloodletter reset during Mage's Ballad. And that's only one song, imagine adding more songs and combos, I'm going to lose my mind.

As soon as I got Bard I felt very overwhelmed because I wasn't using all the moves at the right time, I missed tons of Blood and Misery. So yes, in that sense macros are really helping me, at the cost of a few seconds as you explained.

Keep in mind that I'm playing on PS4 too, with limited buttons and no mouse.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing more damage now than before. I'm not a perfect player but I think I'm doing OK and most importantly, I'm having fun and not losing my mind.

Bloodletter doesn't really require any thought though, you just mash it between GCDs whether its up or not

It's not really min maxing as much are you're basically crippling yourself.

iammeiam

Macroing Bloodletter goes from being normal macros-are-bad to being awful at 45. Setting aside the millions of reasons not to do it (and a decent chunk of bard players in the thread are living the controller life--in SB even at 70 it's pretty easy to fit everything using extended crossbars for L2/R2), at 45 you will get Rain of Death.

Bloodletter is a single-target attack that hits for 130 potency. I know this sounds like crazy minmax stuff, but stick with me on this. Rain of Death is 100 potency per thing it hits, and Bloodletter and Rain of Death share a cool down. Ballad resets Rain of Death and Bloodletter, and whichever you hit first is the one that goes off.

In any situation where you're attacking two or more things at once, you want to use Rain of Death. At first it sounds like a small difference, but consider a dungeon where you might have a tank pulling 4 or 5 mobs at once--your macro has you doing 130 potency when you should be Rain of Deathing and literally doing four or five times that much. Macroing Bloodletter on everything--DoTs, Iron Jaws which you'll get later, etc--means you will never actually use your free AOE attack during Ballad, which is a huge problem and will slow things down a lot. (Macroing it to the AOE attack is similarly problematic, as a huge part of Ballad is putting DoTs on lots of things for resets, so you may not use your AOE attack constantly and thus waste procs.)

It is incredibly important you get the hang of Bloodletter manually, because any macro situation is just going to be be bad news the further you get. The job gets busier and more complicated, and investing the time to get comfortable with the basics now makes you less likely to get super overwhelmed later.

Macroing Bloodletter goes from being bad to being awful at 45. Setting aside the millions of reasons not to do it (and a decent chunk of bard players in the thread are living the controller life--in SB even at 70 it's pretty easy to fit everything using extended crossbars for L2/R2), at 45 you will get Rain of Death.

Bloodletter is a single-target attack that hits for 130 potency. I know this sounds like crazy minmax stuff, but stick with me on this. Rain of Death is 100 potency per thing it hits, and Bloodletter and Rain of Death share a cool down. Ballad resets Rain of Death and Bloodletter, and whichever you hit first is the one that goes off.

In any situation where you're attacking two or more things at once, you want to use Rain of Death. At first it sounds like a small difference, but consider a dungeon where you might have a tank pulling 4 or 5 mobs at once. Macroing Bloodletter on everything--DoTs, Iron Jaws which you'll get later, etc--means you will never actually use your free AOE attack during Ballad, which is a huge problem and will slow things down a lot.

It is incredibly important you get the hang of Bloodletter manually, because any macro situation is just going to be be bad news the further you get.
Not to mention later on Empyreal enters the picture for even more OGCD macro fuckery

Edzi

I don't think I'm going to have fun if I have to pay attention to every Bloodletter reset during Mage's Ballad. And that's only one song, imagine adding more songs and combos, I'm going to lose my mind.

As soon as I got Bard I felt very overwhelmed because I wasn't using all the moves at the right time, I missed tons of Blood and Misery. So yes, in that sense macros are really helping me, at the cost of a few seconds as you explained.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing more damage now than before. I'm not a perfect player but I think I'm doing OK and most importantly, I'm having fun and not losing my mind.

You're playing a multiplayer game, I'd recommend listening to the advice here even if you don't plan on playing the most optimal game so that you don't waste other people's time. I remember you asking here why people were getting mad at you pulling before the tank, so it's clear you've jumped in without actually taking the time to look into the very basics of how the game works... So yeah, take the advice.

A controller isn't a handicap in this game btw.

iammeiam

Unrelated but LuckyBancho released another set of activity numbers, giving us an idea of population distribution post-SB.

Interestingly, it looks like the transfer incentives and general server unreliability since launch may have actually had an impact:

Balmung shrank, and the preferred servers exploded.

Levi has apparently toppled Gilgamesh as NA Server #2, which is hilarious, but Gilgamesh has a gigantic lead in level 70 combat characters. Population overall is up as expected given Stormblood's release, and it's nice to have two sets of data so close together (since the last set of numbers was last month) to get an idea of expansion/contraction as things continue.

Guess Who

Banned

You don't have to pay attention for every Bloodletter reset when Ballad is up. At a certain point it will be proc'ing often enough that you will just basically be spamming your Bloodletter button between each GCD while Ballad is up.

As another poster pointed out, one of the biggest reasons not to macro Bloodletter is Rain of Death. Rain of Death is basically AOE Bloodletter, and does tremendously more damage when you're dealing with multiple targets (which, in dungeons, is very frequently). You'll need to know when and where to use Bloodletter or Rain of Death and use them appropriately, which macro'ing all your skills won't let you do.

The thing about Bard is that it basically works on a priority system, and what button you should be hitting at any given time will vary a lot from moment to moment and song to song based on the situation and RNG. When you get to level 52, for instance, you'll need to be watching/listening for Pitch Perfect procs. You'll need to keep an eye on Barrage and Empyreal Arrow, and at 70, Refulgent Arrow (which, if you're lucky, you can combo with Barrage). Maybe you want to use Misery's End right away, but maybe Barrage + Empyreal is off cool-down and you'd rather use them instead. Maybe Bloodletter is off cooldown, but you're in Minuet and Pitch Perfect just hit three stacks and that's more important. Macro'ing some things like Bloodletter is kinda sorta maybe okay at level 30-something but will be very, very bad later in the game. It's better to learn to deal with how to play properly now than build bad habits that will bite you later.

For reference, I also play entirely on a Dual Shock 4.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think the funniest thing re: Yokai Watch is that I scarcely see anyone, anywhere using those weapons, minions or even mounts. Sure was fulfilling hard work there eh guys?

Idk I have macros as Bard for Bloodletter but I also have Rain of Death on Hotbar so whenever I play Ballad I see when Rain is up and just hit that instead of macro. Then again I only have Bloodletter on 3 macros (one for heavy, poison and whatever the wind one is).

I think you can pull off Bloodletter macro as long as it's not on everything. Just the basic stuff. The rest you gonna have to learn to manage. I play on controller (side note: really hate when I accidentally hit touch pad on PS4 while playing).

Veeboy

Hey, so I'm new to FFXIV (and MMOs in general). I'm currently a conjurer and I've just completed the first 3 main dungeons and I had a couple of questions.

First, I've heard white mage has been gimped a bit. I'm someone who is mostly going to be playing casually (although I do plan to eventually reach Stormblood) so is this something I need to worry about? and if so should I just switch classes now?

Second, is it necessary or helpful to train multiple classes? If so what other classes would be best?

Third, like I said I'm super new to MMOs in general and just wanted to know if ya'll had any multiplayer advice or etiquette I should know.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm loving things so far.

Edzi

Hey, so I'm new to FFXIV (and MMOs in general). I'm currently a conjurer and I've just completed the first 3 main dungeons and I had a couple of questions.

First, I've heard white mage has been gimped a bit. I'm someone who is mostly going to be playing casually (although I do plan to eventually reach Stormblood) so is this something I need to worry about? and if so should I just switch classes now?

Second, is it necessary or helpful to train multiple classes? If so what other classes would be best?

Third, like I said I'm super new to MMOs in general and just wanted to know if ya'll had any multiplayer advice or etiquette I should know.

White Mage should be fine, I think a lot of the initial panic was premature based on what I've heard/read (but I don't actually play WHM myself, so take that with a grain of salt). For the main story quests, anything is fine so play whoever you find most fun. You don't need to level up multiple classes, but its fun to try out different styles to see what works best for you. You should probably prioritize getting through the story to unlock stuff first though.

Etiquette is simple, just be honest and not a dick in chat. If its your first time in a dungeon, let the party know and ask for advice when something comes up that you don't understand. Also, don't worry about it when you run into the inevitable douchebag in a dungeon. Also, join a guild/free company since that's the best way to have constant advice/people to play with.

WHM is still extremely viable and in a much better place than SCH. So, if you're enjoying the class, stick to it. I wouldn't say it's necessary to level other classes but it would be beneficial to you as a healer if you knew what it's like to play from a DPS and a tank perspective. I typically recommended playing at least one class of each role. People on FFXIV are typically very patient and helpful in my experience, but you're always gonna get douchebags. If you're new to something, let the group know and usually they have no problem helping you. Welcome and enjoy the game!

Pundere

I don't play healer, but from what I understand the backlash against WHM in Stormblood was a bit kneejerk and people later realized the class is totally fine. That being said, the game's balance is good enough to where any class is viable for 99% of the content. Play what you enjoy.

To the second question, no. You can just play the class you started with and be fine.

Some points of etiquette have already been brought up this thread. Namely, the tank sets the pace of the dungeon because they're the one that eats all the damage.

Another bit of advice is to not panic if you end up taking aggro from the tank. This'll happen every once and a while at lower levels before tanks get better tools to hold aggro. If it happens you should NOT start running around like a headless chicken, it just makes it harder for the tank to get to the enemy and try to grab aggro back. Similarly, don't use an ability that knocks the enemy away because the tank still has to chase it down as it chases YOU down.

scy

White Mage should be fine, I think a lot of the initial panic was premature based on what I've heard/read (but I don't actually play WHM myself, so take that with a grain of salt).

All the stuff leading into the expansion was about how little the stuff added and how much they kind of promote suboptimal play to utilize them. That's still basically the case? Or, a better way to put it maybe, WHM at 60 to 70 is more-or-less the same value just with better MP efficiency so a lot of the @70 is met with "well, we didn't change." The same deficits still exist from before. It was never going to be a case of "this class is junk" but always two new systems (Lilies, Confessions) that add minimal value to the job.

Kent

It's not so much min/maxing as it is the fundamentals of playing the game itself.

BRD is a job that has a significant importance placed on reacting to procs - a trait it shares with MCH and RDM.

So what are you going to do when you get Rain of Death? It shares a cooldown with Bloodletter, but does AOE damage instead of single-target damage.

Surely you don't plan on just duplicating all of your buttons with a multi-target version.
And I play on an Xbox One controller on PC. It's a non-issue for this game, including for the substantially more complicated jobs than BRD.

Veeboy

White Mage should be fine, I think a lot of the initial panic was premature based on what I've heard/read....

WHM is still extremely viable and in a much better place than SCH. So, if you're enjoying the class, stick to it....!

I don't play healer, but from what I understand the backlash against WHM in Stormblood was a bit kneejerk and people later realized the class is totally fine....

Thanks for all the advice. I've avoided MMOs for a while bc I figured I would stress over the multiplayer aspect and having a party 'depend' on me for lack of a better word, but from the limited time I've had with it I think I'll really enjoy this game. Although for now I'm probably going to focus on the main story + class quests just so I can have access to more features and such.

Thanks again!

Kenai

I think the funniest thing re: Yokai Watch is that I scarcely see anyone, anywhere using those weapons, minions or even mounts. Sure was fulfilling hard work there eh guys?

They are actually pretty nice mounts to use in Shatter since they are so small and match the snow better than most other things.

I feel like the minions would get a lot more use if they did that one thing they said they might do and let minions run around your house (not sure if that's still going to be a thing). Or if LoV had been interesting

katagai

As someone who plays dragoon and would prefer not doing this, the new dragon eye mechanic added in 4.0 sometimes forces me to force the tank into picking up the pace, otherwise I lose out on potential DPS. I don't mind losing one or two eyes, but when a tank stops to go open a chest that's in the opposite direction of where the enemies are, and I have 3-4 stacks of eyes and less than 10 seconds on my gauge, it irritates the shit out of me.

If you see a dragoon below level 70 doing this though, they're just being an asshole.

its actually a lot of class that feel like shit when they lose their stacks so they always want to pull fast.

Mnks, Drg, (old) Blm, (old) Smn, etc etc

I say old because I don't play the 70 version. Its not really about dps, its about feeling like shit when you lose those stacks.

royox

Lol I feel kb+m is more limited and unintuitive than the PS4 pad for this game. I play on PC with the Dualshock4, never went back to kb+m.

Are you using L2+R2 and R2+L2 hotbars? It's a MUST for this game

The classic "you pull it, you tank it". Let them die. After 2 trys they will stop doing that. If they rant at you just be the nicest person and tell them something like "oh...I thought you wanted to tank so I let you :D"

Demoskinos

I got the minions and the first mount and called it good. I kept my sanity. The ultimate reward.

Stuart444

Thorgal

Thanks for all the advice. I've avoided MMOs for a while bc I figured I would stress over the multiplayer aspect and having a party 'depend' on me for lack of a better word, but from the limited time I've had with it I think I'll really enjoy this game. Although for now I'm probably going to focus on the main story + class quests just so I can have access to more features and such.

Thanks again!

What server are you on?

As others said it is absolutely not min/maxing. Min/maxing would be deciding just when to switch from single target to AOE: I do it at just two targets for instance since that's when the potency numbers say to switch but I know others who say to only do it with three or more targets due to TP consumption and other stuff. But using AOE at all is certainly a core part of the game and if you try doing higher level stuff as a Bard who wastes procs on Bloodletter rather than Rain of Death in large trash pulls your group will hate you.

And I honestly believe Bard is BETTER on a controller than keyboard, especially now that we retain our mobility even at higher levels (it used to be that Bards got a skill that added a cast time to core skills while increasing damage, now that's no more). Enable the expanded cross hotbars (where you hit both triggers one after the other) and setup the separate and automatically switched drawn/sheathed hotbars and you get 32 slots for skills which is just enough for Bard and, indeed, I think most Jobs now after the recent skill cuts. Bard for instance has 24 Job skills + 5 Role Action + Limit Break = 30 Skills you absolutely need to slot. That leaves 2 empty spaces you can throw a potion or alternate role actions in to have them bound if you switch. And actually, if you use one of those role actions for Peloton you can just keep that on your out of combat weapon sheathed hotbar.

The best way to get better at anything, including a class in this game, is simply to practice with it. A macro may help you now but all it's gonna do is ingrain bad habits. Stop using it and start practicing using Bloodletter manually, then when Rain of Death comes you'll have no problems using it too. I also started out as a fledgling Archer who had problems keeping up with Bloodletter's cooldown, but now I'm hitting it like a pro whenever it pops up even in Mage's Ballad.

Another tip in case you aren't doing it (if you are you can ignore this), but be sure you start applying your DoTs to multiple enemies, try to get them up on about four. Personally I like to go over a group and apply Windbite to all of them as it's the more potent DoT, then if I feel more DoTs are needed I'll go back over with Venomous Bite. The exact number of DoTs you should have up is somewhat debatable, but more DoTs = more DoT crits and thus more procs of song effects and higher DPS as a result.

PepperedHam

Noob question about dungeon unlocks and the duty roulette: I've been running about scooping a lot of the quests I missed late ARR and late HW that unlock hard modes and optional dungeons - some of these conclude with just talking to someone and it's done while others unlock the dungeon but require you to complete the dungeon to finish the quest. Is the dungeon 100% unlocked even without finishing the quest? For example I've got Satasha (Hard) in my duty finder, and also the final part of its respective quest to use the duty finder to complete it - will that dungeon still have a chance of showing up in the duty roulette even without completing that quest?

duckroll

Noob question about dungeon unlocks and the duty roulette: I've been running about scooping a lot of the quests I missed late ARR and late HW that unlock hard modes and optional dungeons - some of these conclude with just talking to someone and it's done while others unlock the dungeon but require you to complete the dungeon to finish the quest. Is the dungeon 100% unlocked even without finishing the quest? For example I've got Satasha (Hard) in my duty finder, and also the final part of its respective quest to use the duty finder to complete it - will that dungeon still have a chance of showing up in the duty roulette even without completing that quest?

Yes. Dungeons are added to roulettes the moment you unlock them and stay there.

Hagi

I'm not really enjoying DRG right now but I'm only lvl 40 should I wait till I'm higher level before changing? I was thinking black mage might be more fun but that's my go to class for RPG's and I don't know if it's worth changing it up. Is there classes that are recommended for MMO newbies? I think I'm having a crisis about what role I want to fill and whether I'll be any good at it.

Is Machinist fun? I don't have access to Ishgard yet but it'd be cool to try it eventually.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is there a reason to bring a second tank into Lakshmi other than to eat the blue marks? I was just farming in there and wound up spending my whole time in sword oath dps'ing away and it went rather smoothly. =S

Yam's

Is there a reason to bring a second tank into Lakshmi other than to eat the blue marks? I was just farming in there and wound up spending my whole time in sword oath dps'ing away and it went rather smoothly. =S

Having done around 120 Lakshimi as tank, one tank runs are faster, yet two tanks runs are safer.

So the only reason to bring a second tank is to handle the blue mark cause a lot of dps have no clue what to do with it (or react way too late). If everyone knows how to check who's second in aggro and knows how to handle the blue mark under chanchala, go one tank and burn her. But I haven't met a lot of groups where this goes smoothly.

First time farming for a mount yesterday. Think it took us about an hour for everyone in the party to get the mount from Ramuh Ex, the drop rate seemed really low. It was really tedious and not even worth it because I don't even like the horse much...

... But now I want them all ;_;

Hektor

ARR related questions as a newly lvl50 player

Is it worth it doing zodiac weapons? I just collected all atma (which was tedious enough) but now I unlocked those books and this seems to be one of the most tedious grinds I've ever faced?

Like I don't mind grinding dungeons and trials to get good drops and the likes cos those are what i play this game for, but hoping for fates to spawn and killing random trash mobs all over the maps ain't fun.

Also I've yet to start the binding coil raid, I've read this on the wiki

"Your progress is saved through the week. Bind Coil progress resets every Monday (earth time)."

Does that mean you need to do all 5 "turns" within one week to complete the Raid?

Top Bottom