• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

scy

I'm thinking of leveling a Samurai to 70 and maining them instead. Not sure how much more complex Sam gets at lvl 70, but right now it's a lot less stressful, low risk, and high reward.

Low risk, high reward is pretty much SAM in a nutshell. The Sen management stuff is just iterating three combos (Kasha > Gekko > Yukikaze; or basically, Haste > Damage% > Slashing); Kenki at 62+ is pretty constant at generating resource and you dump it all one oGCDs. For the most part, the two systems are unrelated as Sen is used solely for Iaijutsu and Kenki is used for just your oGCDs. Hagakure (68) lets you convert Sen into Kenki but it's hard to really mess up using it that much whenever it's up.

Priority wise, Kaiten + Higanbana and Kaiten + Midare Setsugekka whenever you're going to do them, convert Sen to Kenki via Hagakure when its up with 3 Sen (or if needed to smooth rotation), Shinten as often as you can without dipping too low for Kaiten use. Most the mistakes in SAM rotation stuff aren't that costly on their own and the entirety of the Kenki system is more of a "make sure you end with zero meter" rather than "use the moment you can for maximum uptime" stuff which makes it a lot less rigid too.

It was fun seeing you all, says the PLD as YoshiP shoves them back into the hole under the stairs.

I'm not expecting a huge potency nerf (at worst, -> 400 potency) to Holy Spirit, though I find any touching of it when it's coupled with actual potency increases for WAR+DRK to be pretty goddamn questionable. Unless they're pushing Holy Spirit cast to >2.5s GCD, increasing the cast time just makes it clunkier to use / fit inside Requiescat too rather than touching the damage so I'm not too worried about that side of a change messing with it much.

I'm still mostly on the side of "why even nerf a tank if actual buffs for the others?" but eh, SE decision making.

I have a somewhat related newbie question. I'm a WHM doing a dungeon via the 'leveling' duty finder. We finish a random group of mobs, but the Tank still has a fair amount of regen time left on him. Tank tries a big pull, they all aggro me and I die, then everyone else dies.

Is this my fault because I should time regens better so the they end around the same time as the mobs die? Is it the Tanks fault because he should've​waited for regen to wear off? Or a bit of column A, a bit of column B?

Maybe a bit of both. Honestly, since I've been tanking I go:
1) pull 2 mobs (unless Aurum Vale because eff that place) and see how the healing goes. If we wipe once I only pull 1 mob at a time from then on.
2) If I feel like I'm getting too close to dying frequently on mobs of 4-6, I pull slower.
3) If I'm still not getting healed it's probably an AST because that's how it has been for 2 weeks, now.
4) Just try to get through it.

Really, after that first mob, I decide if this team is up to the task of larger pulls to get through quicker and/or get the chain bonus (if I can...), but I'll try to make sure the healer can keep up because, ultimately, they keep me alive I keep everyone else alive.

TBH, if they're losing aggro to you, they're not keeping an eye on it properly or you're overhealing (and they're not keeping an eye on aggro properly). At lower dungeons it's a bit of a pain to keep aggro on lots of healing because we don't have all of our skills yet, but if it's a 40+ dungeon it shouldn't be an issue, because we have our AOE aggro skill(s) and MP management is easier. But I play DRK so it may be different for PLD and WAR.

I'm still mostly on the side of "why even nerf a tank if actual buffs for the others?" but eh, SE decision making.
I dunno, as much as I harp about people not expecting tanks to do damage, I think that top PLDs being able to pull "BRD on a bad RNG run" numbers is kinda silly.

It's not really a good idea to buff other tanks to PLD levels when PLD's level is a tad too much

Ruff

I think RDM is probably one of the most boring DPS jobs to do pre 50 roulette with. There's no point even balancing mana or using melee skills in 95% of them.

You can actually click off Regen, so I'd lay almost all of the blame on the tank for losing threat to old regens. You should try not to cast regen at the end of pulls, but a tank can click off Regen at any time. A good tank will also be establishing some level of AOE threat on pull--hit one thing to pull, them an AOE skill to establish threat on the whole pack, meaning a tick or two of Regen shouldn't be getting you murdered anyway. If they're just tagging one mob and letting Regen pull the rest to you, they're screwing up.

Nifty, did not know about turning off buffs.

Yeah after the wipe I was trying to avoid having Regen up at the end of a pull. Just takes​ some practice to get the timing right.

Luminaire

Got my blue doggo last night.

Curious what the Kirin-equivalent will look like at the end. Aside from being huge and gold. Gimme a behemoth sized mount with a bark command.

Also to anyone who hates their housing neighbors - getting as many people with dogs and spamming mount/dismount creates a symphony of horrid howling.

studyguy

I've occasionally gotten a regen thrown on me right before a pull of a big linked group, throw a shield lob, the whole mob runs at me from the distance and a regen ticks. Maybe one monster runs past of the group if I miss them with a flash or scorn. idk, never seems like a big deal.

scy

I dunno, as much as I harp about people not expecting tanks to do damage, I think that top PLDs being able to pull "BRD on a bad RNG run" numbers is kinda silly.

I'd say that's more an issue on the BRD (and MCH) damage side than tanks? Like, that's competing in the lower 3k area and that's not exactly a great spot for damage anyway.

Or, more to the point, all the tanks are looking at 3.2-3.4k as reasonable spots of their top end in both the primals so nerfing PLD / buffing WAR+DRK is just reversing the divide and then pushing the top end slightly higher, just not with PLD at the lead.

R0ckman

Maybe I'm not understanding this but for the slight potency nerf on NIN rotation, why is it done as a response to utility capability? Why not nerf those? I doubt the majority of players are even able to properly utilize the NIN correctly in the first place from stories I've read on here.

Maybe a bit of both. Honestly, since I've been tanking I go:
1) pull 2 mobs (unless Aurum Vale because eff that place) and see how the healing goes. If we wipe once I only pull 1 mob at a time from then on.
2) If I feel like I'm getting too close to dying frequently on mobs of 4-6, I pull slower.
3) If I'm still not getting healed it's probably an AST because that's how it has been for 2 weeks, now.
4) Just try to get through it.

Really, after that first mob, I decide if this team is up to the task of larger pulls to get through quicker and/or get the chain bonus (if I can...), but I'll try to make sure the healer can keep up because, ultimately, they keep me alive I keep everyone else alive.

TBH, if they're losing aggro to you, they're not keeping an eye on it properly or you're overhealing (and they're not keeping an eye on aggro properly). At lower dungeons it's a bit of a pain to keep aggro on lots of healing because we don't have all of our skills yet, but if it's a 40+ dungeon it shouldn't be an issue, because we have our AOE aggro skill(s) and MP management is easier. But I play DRK so it may be different for PLD and WAR.

Funny, I go through a vaguely similar checklist at the start of a dungeon. How fast does this tanks health go down? Do they like pulling multiple groups? Do they like walking around corners when I'm trying to heal? Do they turn monsters away from the party?

Really though, It's​ just to figure out how much Aero spam I can get away with.

I'd say that's more an issue on the BRD (and MCH) damage side than tanks? Like, that's competing in the lower 3k area and that's not exactly a great spot for damage anyway.

Or, more to the point, all the tanks are looking at 3.2-3.4k as reasonable spots of their top end in both the primals so nerfing PLD / buffing WAR+DRK is just reversing the divide and then pushing the top end slightly higher, just not with PLD at the lead.
Perhaps. We still need to see how much STR the fending stuff will get starting tomorrow and either way this should equalize as the expansion goes on because there's only so much STR tanks can get.
Maybe I'm not understanding this but for the slight potency nerf on NIN rotation, why is it done as a response to utility capability? Why not nerf those? I doubt the majority of players are even able to properly utilize the NIN correctly in the first place from stories I've read on here.
1) People bring NINs in parties for their utility first, personal DPS second. If you nerf that its more likely people will just ditch the job
2) Nerfing NIN's utility also nerfs their personal damage

PLD is the king of mitigation and raid utility aming tanks, it was silly it was also top Tank DPS.

Funny, I go through a vaguely similar checklist at the start of a dungeon. How fast does this tanks health go down? Do they like pulling multiple groups? Do they like walking around corners when I'm trying to heal? Do they turn monsters away from the party?

Really though, It's​ just to figure out how much Aero spam I can get away with.

I was told last night that I'm squishy. Now, that MAY be because my gear isn't for level 66 (it's mostly Shisui and 2 Bardam pieces right now) since I'm trying to level/gear efficiently so my HP and defense aren't as high as they probably could be, but I also don't make it a habit to stand in AOEs like a lot of tanks apparently do, I'll walk out then go back in once the marker is gone and continue hitting crap. I abuse the hell out of Plunge for maintaining proximity.

I also always try to face the enemies away from the party (I'm looking at you SAM) and keep myself visible enough for the healer to heal me, since I never know if it's a PC or PS4 player doing it and that can affect things with the control scheme (I know both can use controller or mkb, but ehhhh).

TL;DR: I try to make myself not be a shitshow for the healer to do its job. OTOH, I don't want a WHM sitting there spamming holy over and over while my HP is in triple digits. :(

scy

1% off TA will probably be a larger rDPS loss than hitting NIN's potencies anyway and a larger impact than direct potency nerfs. Put another way, dialing down their personal damage is about the smallest knob they can turn in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps. We still need to see how much STR the fending stuff will get starting tomorrow and either way this should equalize as the expansion goes on.

Please be excited for 5 STR.

PLD is the king of mitigation and raid utility aming tanks, it was silly it was also top Tank DPS.

I mean, sure? My point was more if buffing the other tanks to a point beyond PLD, why also nerf PLD in the process rather than keeping them more level.

TL;DR: I try to make myself not be a shitshow for the healer to do its job. OTOH, I don't want a WHM sitting there spamming holy over and over while my HP is in triple digits. :(

Benediction value.

From leveling all three tanks to then going through as WHM, it was usually pretty easy to tell when tanks weren't cooldowning properly; having to actually babysit an HP bar at all is usually a sign of a badtime to come. I mostly just got sad anytime I saw Unleash spam or every missed Hallowed/Holmgang/LD cheese opportunity.

R0ckman

Perhaps. We still need to see how much STR the fending stuff will get starting tomorrow and either way this should equalize as the expansion goes on because there's only so much STR tanks can get.

1) People bring NINs in parties for their utility first, personal DPS second. If you nerf that its more likely people will just ditch the job
2) Nerfing NIN's utility also nerfs their personal damage

Of the few people I've seen in random parties, I've never seen them use smoke screen or shade walker.

They also claimed NIN was bugged where poision effected everything but before stormblood launched it was reported as an intentional ajustment. The balancing is this game makes no damn sense when you follow along with their explanations on things.

Sol Mori

Of the few people I've seen in random parties, I've never seen them use smoke screen or shade walker.

They also claimed NIN was bugged where poision effected everything but before stormblood launched it was reported as an intentional ajustment. The balancing is this game makes no damn sense when you follow along with their explanations on things.

SE makes extremely baffling decisions when it comes to balance and their justifications sometimes. SAM gets to be top personal DPS because they have no utility, but BLM also has no utility and suffers the most when it comes to mechanics forcing movement.

Also WHM's level 70 ability completely disregards their entire reasoning for adding job gauges (don't want players to focus on buff bars). It is actually even worse because it puts the buff on the person you're healing and you can see other WHM's stacks.

studyguy

I mean i270 is 78STR per
If they want to literally match it they need to give us like 53STR then you can throw on 1 more STR VI... but that sounds entirely unlikely.
Fully expect them to throw us 10STR and wash their hands of the issue. Please look forward to it

Smokescreen and to a lesser extent Shadewalker are more of a Savage thing and they let certain jobs like tanks and healers be greedier with their damage.
I mean i270 is 78STR per
If they want to literally match it they need to give us like 53STR then you can throw on 1 more STR VI... but that sounds entirely unlikely.
Fully expect them to throw us 10STR and wash their hands of the issue. Please look forward to it
I'm expecting like 40~50% of the VIT value. It should be at the very least as good as the slaying stuff from the get go.

I mean so was WAR in the previous xpac, I don't see an issue.

Precisely, instead of waiting one whole expansion is nice to have it fixed quickly.

I mean I guess it sucks for PLD not being OP for two years like WAR was on 3.0. But is a situation that shouldn't happen again.

I mean, sure? My point was more if buffing the other tanks to a point beyond PLD, why also nerf PLD in the process rather than keeping them more level.

I guess is to give a reason to bring WAR/DRK instead of just stacking PLD.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Low risk, high reward is pretty much SAM in a nutshell. The Sen management stuff is just iterating three combos (Kasha > Gekko > Yukikaze; or basically, Haste > Damage% > Slashing); Kenki at 62+ is pretty constant at generating resource and you dump it all one oGCDs. For the most part, the two systems are unrelated as Sen is used solely for Iaijutsu and Kenki is used for just your oGCDs. Hagakure (68) lets you convert Sen into Kenki but it's hard to really mess up using it that much whenever it's up.

Priority wise, Kaiten + Higanbana and Kaiten + Midare Setsugekka whenever you're going to do them, convert Sen to Kenki via Hagakure when its up with 3 Sen (or if needed to smooth rotation), Shinten as often as you can without dipping too low for Kaiten use. Most the mistakes in SAM rotation stuff aren't that costly on their own and the entirety of the Kenki system is more of a "make sure you end with zero meter" rather than "use the moment you can for maximum uptime" stuff which makes it a lot less rigid too.
Thanks for the breakdown.

On the regen thing, this hasn't been an issue in forever? It wasn't even much of an issue back in 2.0 when ppl were bitching about it, just lag can make it somewhat hard to hit moving mobs, but I can't remember the last time I cared if I had HoTs running when I go to the next group. Just flash stuff as it runs past you and it'll switch, Regen threat is like half an autoattack or whatever, even with medica on a largesse heal and crit tick, it's probably still like 1/10th of a flash/unleash/overpower. I tend to not cast them before the tank pulls but that's mostly because I don't trust tanks to actually pick up stuff before it hits me in the face, but at the same time I never pay attention to it when I tank because everything will stick to me the moment it enters flash range, whatever the other ppl do. I guess Overpower cone shit is more annoying to hit a large pack with though but still shouldn't be an issue.

On a different note, I finally replaced my lvl 50 crafting accessories. I've been using Aetheryte rings+rose gold choker+militia bracelet+mosshorn earring the entire way from 50 to 70 and while crafting my 70 weapons and 70 accessories, they served me well ^^. They were pentamelded so they had fairly ok stats, could have replace before but felt like a waste to bother HQing some mid lvl accessories then replace those too and they were "enough". Got me some nice Zelkova stuff now though. I still have to craft all the armor and a bunch more of the weapons. It's pretty damn easy with the new skills though even with my current gear. Like on BSM I started by crafting my own weapons, with a 65main hand and 68 offhand from the quests, lvl 65 armor and the lvl 50 accessories. The fact I got a HQ while barely trying in that setup is pretty sad, it used to take at least a bit of luck or effort, but I think I was floating like 60CP and 25durability at the end of the craft.

Fun fact, Aetheryte rings still give combat materias instead of crafting materias.

XenoRaven

I've been a DRG though the good times and the bad times. I was ready to throw in the towel this time. I hung my head and started leveling my Ninja, but I gave DRG another chance and I'm actually liking it a lot more now that I've gotten into more of a rhythm with it.

Shahed

Removing the stance change penalty is appreciated. I'll actually play WAR now. I'm not sure why they removed the Beast Guage cost for Inner Release and Unchained. The 20 cost was negligible and now they're just regular oGCD's. What they needed to do was seperate the timers from each other.

The playstyle was my main issue rather than damage. Having said that buffing WAR and DRK damage is fine if reasonable, but I don't see why they felt the need to nerf PLD. They should have left it alone

I've been a DRG though the good times and the bad times. I was ready to throw in the towel this time. I hung my head a started leveling my Ninja, but I gave DRG another chance and I'm actually liking it a lot more now that I've gotten into more of a rhythm with it.
I'll see how I feel after messing with Mirage Dive. For a job with so many positionals, all this animation lock was annoying. I hate they're answer to Riddle of Fire too. I don't really care about the damage output, but more the fact it feels incredibly bad to use going slow all of a sudden. My poor muscle memory :(

iammeiam

90% of advice for new players doesn't matter if you're comfortable in your job and running with other people comfortable in and competent with theirs. But if you or they are new or Just Don't Care, stuff like "Don't Regen a pulling tank" or "Don't Medica II for no reason right before mobs drop into the arena if the shields are eating all the damage anyway ffs what are you doing" is helpful for a more peaceful leveling/DF experience.

studyguy

Removing the stance change penalty is appreciated. I'll actually play WAR now. I'm not sure why they removed the Beast Guage cost for Inner Release and Unchained. The 20 cost was negligible and now they're just regular oGCD's. What they needed to do was seperate the timers from each other.

The playstyle wqs my main issue rather than damage. Having saie that buffing WAR and DRK damage is fine if reasonable, but I don't see why they felt the need to nerf PLD. They should have left it alone

I'll see how I feel after messing with Mirage Dive. For a job with so many positionals, all this animation lock was annoying. I hate they're answer to Riddle of Fire too. I don't really care about the damage output, but more the fact it fwels incredibly bad to use

All it tells me is WAR can now Fell Cleave 7 times if my math is right since they were missing 10 iirc. (Assuming they hold off on an upheaval?)

So is DirHit and Crit what I want to be melding on my rdm? I heard whispers of Det being more important than crit, but am unsure
We still don't know for sure. So far Dhit seems like the go to for DPS but Crit and Det should scale quite nicely considering their numbers will skyrocket eventually.

Shahed

All it tells me is WAR can now Fell Cleave 7 times if my math is right.
Haven't really played WAR since my PLD hit 70, but that sounds about right. You'll probably have to drop the Upheaval though. But in the end it's just one extra Fell Cleave. Damage output wasn't my issue with WAR, but more the playstyle of the stance changing and shared timers, and what they offer the group as a whole.

I am curious what they do with Shake it Off though. I don't understand the point of that move currently

studyguy

Haven't really played WAR since my PLD hit 70, but that sounds about right. You'll probably have to drop the Upheaval though. But in the end it's just one extra Fell Cleave. Damage output wasn't my issue with WAR, but more the playstyle of the stance changing and shared timers, and what they offer the group as a whole.

I am curious what they do with Shake it Off though. I don't understand the point of that move currently
Shake it off now grants 1 extra Fell Cleave
"This is what the community wanted all along" - YoshiP

Shahed

Who needs group utility and general ability synergy? More Fell Cleaves!

Saying that I just realised the removal of cost for Inner Release/Unchained makes sense to a degree. You can now pre pop Unchained instead of the awkward Tomahawk>Infuriate>Unchained>Heavy Swing. But as long as they share a timer people will rarely do it anyway

studyguy

I'm not expecting a huge potency nerf (at worst, -> 400 potency) to Holy Spirit, though I find any touching of it when it's coupled with actual potency increases for WAR+DRK to be pretty goddamn questionable. Unless they're pushing Holy Spirit cast to >2.5s GCD, increasing the cast time just makes it clunkier to use / fit inside Requiescat too rather than touching the damage so I'm not too worried about that side of a change messing with it much.

Adjusting holy spirits cast time is their aim though, which is concerning for other stuff. At some point it means we'll clip autos between spirits. So RIP ~60 potency per cast or so.

Wilsongt

Getting rid of Cleric Stance is so good for SCH. One less button press to worry about when I have to throw an emergency lustrate on a DPS in a dungeon.

And I barely have to worry about healing good tanks in The Sirensong Sea so far.

Only level 62 as a SCH, though.

scy

So is DirHit and Crit what I want to be melding on my rdm? I heard whispers of Det being more important than crit, but am unsure

Prelim results are Direct Hit > Det > Just stack those two some more, okay? > Crit. SSPD slots really highly as well but whether or not that converts to better real world DPS is another matter (it probably does, if only so everyone can suddenly be fucked on melds hilariously). And, well, SSPD will probably still be bad for RDM anyway.

There's a thing to be said on the stat tiers (aka, +stat does nothing until you reach a new threshold rather than each point giving a small boost) and how that impacts melding but it's a super specific case. DET's linear the whole way (that is, it doesn't scale better per point) so it's more of a baseline 'good' stat.

...anyway, DHit > Det > Crit is your concern; if you group with a Bard a lot, Crit value goes up to be a lot closer for Det v Crit but current valuation should still keep it like that I believe.

WTB ping of less than 86ms to let me do that ./go

??? It's pretty latency independent, you're not double oGCD weaving anything beyond maybe the initial Berserk+Inner Rag pairing (and, off-hand, the standard rotation decouples them anyway so no double weave clip would matter).

My pipe dream for Taylor Swift Homage is a short duration self-buff that converts the damage taken into a regen (or Shield). But that may be too active mitgation for the game and we'll end up with one-off cooldown.

Adjusting holy spirits cast time is their aim though, which is concerning for other stuff. At some point it means we'll clip autos between spirits. So RIP ~60 potency per cast or so.

Well, sort of? Yeah, the auto clipping and clunkier / tighter Requiescat is a thing but the spell is currently 1.5s cast on the 2.5s GCD. 2.0s cast on the 2.5s GCD, for instance, is still the same total time frame to get the full thing off no matter what but it shifts where the casts land for Requiescat (and TA!). It just makes some of the more hidden stuff in there potentially worse, which is a pretty shitty way to go about things ultimately.

It's still why I don't find it reasonable to nerf it in the first place when the other tanks are getting buffed. Hopefully it's 420 Potency / 2.0s cast time as anything else will be approaching "Well, that's kind of fucked up" territory.

Top Bottom