• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Unrelated but LuckyBancho released another set of activity numbers, giving us an idea of population distribution post-SB.

Interestingly, it looks like the transfer incentives and general server unreliability since launch may have actually had an impact:

Balmung shrank, and the preferred servers exploded.

Levi has apparently toppled Gilgamesh as NA Server #2, which is hilarious, but Gilgamesh has a gigantic lead in level 70 combat characters. Population overall is up as expected given Stormblood's release, and it's nice to have two sets of data so close together (since the last set of numbers was last month) to get an idea of expansion/contraction as things continue.
I see others like make me made the wise move to escape Balmung. I somewhat wish Sarg was a preferred server for that sweet exp bonus though but w/e.

Teiran

First time farming for a mount yesterday. Think it took us about an hour for everyone in the party to get the mount from Ramuh Ex, the drop rate seemed really low. It was really tedious and not even worth it because I don't even like the horse much...

... But now I want them all ;_;

I mean... I think going for all of them is worth it, but then again Kirin is my favorite mount in the game.

Meccs

The feeling when you would like to make use of the 7 free days playtime from the Comeback Campaign but all the people on your friends list have already stopped playing Stormblood...

Apoptomon

I'm not really enjoying DRG right now but I'm only lvl 40 should I wait till I'm higher level before changing? I was thinking black mage might be more fun but that's my go to class for RPG's and I don't know if it's worth changing it up. Is there classes that are recommended for MMO newbies? I think I'm having a crisis about what role I want to fill and whether I'll be any good at it.

Is Machinist fun? I don't have access to Ishgard yet but it'd be cool to try it eventually.

What aspect of DRG don't you like? DRG has a fairly rigid rotation, and incidentally only starts getting AOE skills after 40. There's no real harm in trying out any/all of other classes that the game has to offer - the only cost is the time/gil involved in levelling and outfitting them. They all start off slowly, but I'd say try of BLM and see if it clicks with you. I can't say about MCH as I haven't tried it much myself.

ARR related questions as a newly lvl50 player

Is it worth it doing zodiac weapons? I just collected all atma (which was tedious enough) but now I unlocked those books and this seems to be one of the most tedious grinds I've ever faced?

Like I don't mind grinding dungeons and trials to get good drops and the likes cos those are what i play this game for, but hoping for fates to spawn and killing random trash mobs all over the maps ain't fun.

Also I've yet to start the binding coil raid, I've read this on the wiki

"Your progress is saved through the week. Bind Coil progress resets every Monday (earth time)."

Does that mean you need to do all 5 "turns" within one week to complete the Raid?

I don't know the answer for the Binding Coil, but the ARR relic weapon probably isn't worth much outside glamour purposes.

Alrus

ARR related questions as a newly lvl50 player

Is it worth it doing zodiac weapons? I just collected all atma (which was tedious enough) but now I unlocked those books and this seems to be one of the most tedious grinds I've ever faced?

Like I don't mind grinding dungeons and trials to get good drops and the likes cos those are what i play this game for, but hoping for fates to spawn and killing random trash mobs all over the maps ain't fun.

Also I've yet to start the binding coil raid, I've read this on the wiki

"Your progress is saved through the week. Bind Coil progress resets every Monday (earth time)."

Does that mean you need to do all 5 "turns" within one week to complete the Raid?

The relics serve no purpose outside of Glamour and yeah they're super grindy so I would not bother. You can get a more than good enough 50 weapon by exchanging poetics in Mor Dhona.

As Coil, it was the hardcore raid of ARR, and back when it was new content there was a weekly lockout system. It's not there anymore and that wiki is probably outdated.

Ok you guys won. I'll delete my macros.

I'll try to use this hotbar thing and see how it goes.

As someone who recently redid all his keybinds/hotbars, it will feel a bit bad at first when muscle memory still kicks in but after little time you'll get used to it. Finding a practice dummy and training a little on it can help.

Hagi

What aspect of DRG don't you like? DRG has a fairly rigid rotation, and incidentally only starts getting AOE skills after 40. There's no real harm in trying out any/all of other classes that the game has to offer - the only cost is the time/gil involved in levelling and outfitting them. They all start off slowly, but I'd say try of BLM and see if it clicks with you. I can't say about MCH as I haven't tried it much myself.

I don't know the answer for the Binding Coil, but the ARR relic weapon probably isn't worth much outside glamour purposes.

Maybe it's just the melee DPS aspect I don't like and having to be up close and personal. Could be the grind of ARR putting me off as well though. I switched to Arcanist and it seems really cool so far so I think I'll put some time into that for now and see how I fare. I am enjoying my time with the game but I can't wait to move onto Heavensward.

Boy, I'm glad I am a chocobo purist when it comes to mounts. Idea of riding something else in an FF MMO just feels gross and wrong. Saves me so much headache from chasing all these mounts.

R0ckman

Boy, I'm glad I am a chocobo purist when it comes to mounts. Idea of riding something else in an FF MMO just feels gross and wrong. Saves me so much headache from chasing all these mounts.

Same, the only other one I like are the Coeurl. A lot of the other ones, specifically the ones that people chase after look tacky and out of place.

Ruff

My GF literally gifted me the fat moogle just so I could ferry her from quest to quest. I'm literally Uber in game at this point.

What's the point of being a White Mage if you're not gonna use Assize, Asylum, or Tetra? Never thought I would run into one in a Stormblood dungeon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
First time farming for a mount yesterday. Think it took us about an hour for everyone in the party to get the mount from Ramuh Ex, the drop rate seemed really low. It was really tedious and not even worth it because I don't even like the horse much...

... But now I want them all ;_;

lol, just a hour to get everyone the mount? You would not like to have seen the drop rate when the primal first came out.

Orcastar

My Dalamud red chocobo with a mix of Levin and Hive barding looks much cooler than any of the special mounts I've seen so far. I wouldn't mind getting one of those Amaterasu-looking mounts, but I'd probably just end up switching back to my Buffy before long.

IvorB

For land-based movement I do prefer the classic chocobo. But flying around on a relatively small bird looks dumb so for flight I prefer something else.

The Ixion mount does look a bit dorky but it is enveloped by lightning and that counts for a lot.

Are we going to talk about how Yojimbo ended up being
nothing but a gimmicky dungeon boss
after he was hyped up in that trailer? I feel like they could have done better for him.

The problem with chocobo is the awful theme...

No thanks, I'll keep riding the father of all dragons.

"You have a fucking bird? Pls bitch I ride the father of all dragons"

They were struggling to keep me alive lol. I had to do smaller pulls. They also had a bad habit of putting regen and medica 2 on me before every pull which is a healer no-no.
As Healer main do you know how many WHMs have have told not to do this over the years? Many of them seem to believe that because SCHs do it that it is ok for WHMs to do it and don't get that Medica II/Regen basically scream "Kill me!" in regards to aggro on healer.

Oddly I almost never see Diurnal Sect using ASTs do this.

I only use mounts with this theme. So peaceful.

Ruff

Hot damn. Seeing "Ultimate End" here got me as hyped as when I first saw it as a kid. I think I got lucky with a perfect theme loop as he twirled his cape and grabbed the sword for extra atmosphere.

Finally managed to clear Susano EX, this weekend 11 more clears for the 320 weapon.

I'm a little bothered by PF as of late. Three parties we would clear and someone would still complain that we were "taking too long" to kill before enrage and they'd disband immediately after. Not looking forward to dog farms if it's going to be like this. Don't get me started on the dumb PF requests:

"Doogo 315 or higher, no bonus, 3 wipes=disband"
"MUST HAVE DISCORD, Clear for 3 friends"(but you must have finished the duty to join this)
"Farm, not practice. 1 mistake = 1 kick" Only to see that person screws up pre-sword.

Savage is going to be fun, heh.

Finally managed to clear Susano EX, this weekend 11 more clears for the 320 weapon.

I'm a little bothered by PF as of late. Three parties we would clear and someone would still complain that we were "taking too long" to kill before enrage and they'd disband immediately after. Not looking forward to dog farms if it's going to be like this. Don't get me started on the dumb PF requests:

"MUST HAVE DISCORD, Clear for 3 friends"(but you must have finished the duty to join this)
"Farm, not practice. 1 mistake = 1 kick" Only to see that person screws up pre-sword.

I love the aggressive descriptions in PF. They tell me exactly what parties I should avoid

You do know that you can turn off the theme, right?

It just dosn't feel right, without a mount theme. Pls YoshiP, give XI version!

My favorite was "98% in fflog", there's a lot of these elitist pf bulllshit.

For fucking Lashkmi...I mean really?

Arkeband

Banned
Hot damn. Seeing "Ultimate End" here got me as hyped as when I first saw it as a kid. I think I got lucky with a perfect theme loop as he twirled his cape and grabbed the sword for extra atmosphere.

JP voices he yells "ULTIMATO ENDO!", in EN he just rattles on some unintelligible mini-monologue.

I only turn on mount music once in a while, because I like hearing the overworld music; by using mount music all the time you will miss out on a significant portion of the game’s music. Also note that if you take a Chocoport you get a better Chocobo theme.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think I'm getting into the post expansion blues. Not sure if it is because I'm sick right now or not. Granted there is still a lot of stuff I haven't done.

Not a fan of. Was fine playing it for most of the expansion, but the skill set at lvl 70 is a complete cluster fuck. High Risk, Low Reward. I could try and practice more on a dummy, but right now in trials I'm just not enjoying it so much. I'm thinking of leveling a Samurai to 70 and maining them instead. Not sure how much more complex Sam gets at lvl 70, but right now it's a lot less stressful, low risk, and high reward.

I still need to do both SB Ex Primals, all of the warring Triad, Omega, and whatever else I've missed.

aceface

I think I'm getting into the post expansion blues. Not sure if it is because I'm sick right now or not. Granted there is still a lot of stuff I haven't done.

Not a fan of. Was fine playing it for most of the expansion, but the skill set at lvl 70 is a complete cluster fuck. High Risk, Low Reward. I could try and practice more on a dummy, but right now in trials I'm just not enjoying it so much. I'm thinking of leveling a Samurai to 70 and maining them instead.Not sure how much more complex Sam gets at lvl 70, but right now it's a lot less stressful, low risk, and high reward.

I still need to do both SB Ex Primals, all of the warring Triad, Omega, and whatever else I've missed.

Let's have a poll to guess which job he's talking about.

They were struggling to keep me alive lol. I had to do smaller pulls. They also had a bad habit of putting regen and medica 2 on me before every pull which is a healer no-no.

I have a somewhat related newbie question. I'm a WHM doing a dungeon via the 'leveling' duty finder. We finish a random group of mobs, but the Tank still has a fair amount of regen time left on him. Tank tries a big pull, they all aggro me and I die, then everyone else dies.

Is this my fault because I should time regens better so the they end around the same time as the mobs die? Is it the Tanks fault because he should've​waited for regen to wear off? Or a bit of column A, a bit of column B?

iammeiam

I have a somewhat related newbie question. I'm a WHM doing a dungeon via the 'leveling' duty finder. We finish a random group of mobs, but the Tank still has a fair amount of regen time left on him. Tank tries a big pull, they all aggro me and I die, then everyone else dies.

Is this my fault because I should time regens better so the they end around the same time as the mobs die? Is it the Tanks fault because he should've​waited for regen to wear off? Or a bit of column A, a bit of column B?

You can actually click off Regen, so I'd lay almost all of the blame on the tank for losing threat to old regens. You should try not to cast regen at the end of pulls, but a tank can click off Regen at any time. A good tank will also be establishing some level of AOE threat on pull--hit one thing to pull, them an AOE skill to establish threat on the whole pack, meaning a tick or two of Regen shouldn't be getting you murdered anyway. If they're just tagging one mob and letting Regen pull the rest to you, they're screwing up.

dramatis

If there's a leftover Regen, tell the tank to click the status off before pulling a fresh batch.

Alternatively, if you see the current batch of enemies are about to die and Regen has fallen off tank, don't Regen again. A Cure in between dead enemies and next pull will suffice.

Etroveria

Neo Member
I had a phase of thinking to abandon DRG and go SAM too but I'm enjoying having my friends beg for tether and using nastrond is the most satisfying thing.

Top Bottom