• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

studyguy

y u p :(

Maybe they'll add Pacify back to Berserk and call that a buff.

**Shake it off has been adjusted: Previously Shake it off removed a detrimental effect.
Now Shake it off adds Pacified status to the warrior. No other changes made.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Can't say I'm a total chocobo purist when it comes to mounts, as I spend a lot of time on a magitek or fat chocobo as well. The other mounts look super tacky between the glow in the dark unicorns, hideous birds, and that weird Alex mount. I can't help but snicker when I see people afk'ing on those things. They're so ugly, certainly nothing to be showing off.

Sarek

Ugh... The launcher is completely black for me, and I couldn't find any solution by googling either. Anyone else had this, and know how to fix it?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've been a DRG though the good times and the bad times. I was ready to throw in the towel this time. I hung my head and started leveling my Ninja, but I gave DRG another chance and I'm actually liking it a lot more now that I've gotten into more of a rhythm with it.

There's just too much to take into account and not fuck up while trying to do every mechanic. People complained about WT and F&C, but even they were easier to manage in HW compared to everything you have to take into account now.

The positionals. They make having True North a necessity in some fights. I don't have the numbers on me, but fucking up just positional massively fucks up dps numbers way more than any other job.
The Eyes. Why do you even have these dropping off.
When to actually pop Life of the Dragon.
Even if they are part of the generic rotation, even our buffs and debuff timers are ridiculous. Higanbana lasting 60 seconds was like a breath of fresh air. Imagine if Higanbana or Ninja's Huton only lasted 30 seconds.

Dragon Sight even being a thing seems like a joke from the dev team. You can't use it in solo play. Requires you to select a teammate in the middle of a fight on top of everything else you are taking care of. And now you need to make sure that person is sticking by you or your dps falls even more.

I was super surprised to see other classes have gauges similar to BotD or Eyes, but those gauges don't drop. When I got my Kenki gauge as a SAM and noticed it wasn't falling at all, even out of battle, I was like "lol wut".

Trojita

Goobbue mount should have plant wings or like butterflies attached to the plants that let the Goobbue mount fly.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Decided to change class to Marauder -> Warrior. Still a newb but i read that they are very very good at soloing? Is that still the case? I loved soloing random shit in FFXI as beastmaster & RDM.

Clyde Donovan

Neo Member
There's just too much to take into account and not fuck up while trying to do every mechanic. People complained about WT and F&C, but even they were easier to manage in HW compared to everything you have to take into account now.

The positionals. They make having True North a necessity in some fights. I don't have the numbers on me, but fucking up just positional massively fucks up dps numbers way more than any other job.
The Eyes. Why do you even have these dropping off.
When to actually pop Life of the Dragon.
Even if they are part of the generic rotation, even our buffs and debuff timers are ridiculous. Higanbana lasting 60 seconds was like a breath of fresh air. Imagine if Higanbana or Ninja's Huton only lasted 30 seconds.

Dragon Sight even being a thing seems like a joke from the dev team. You can't use it in solo play. Requires you to select a teammate in the middle of a fight on top of everything else you are taking care of. And now you need to make sure that person is sticking by you or your dps falls even more.

I was super surprised to see other classes have gauges similar to BotD or Eyes, but those gauges don't drop. When I got my Kenki gauge as a SAM and noticed it wasn't falling at all, even out of battle, I was like "lol wut".

I'm having concerns at the moment. I'm only level 66 but I looked at some of the abilities I will be receiving and I felt overwhelmed. The game was supposedly reworked because of useless skills and complicated rotations but Heavensward DRG rotation seems a lot simpler. I'll need to wait and see once I'm level 70.

Dragon Sight in particular, trying to figure out the best way to switch to ally while trying to keep DPS up fon boss. Being on PS4 and using a controller will hinder me too as I usually switch my targeting to enemies only so I can quickly press 'X' to switch to closest enemy. I seen it recommended to use a macro with focus target but I usually focus target on boss so I can keep watch for certain mechanics when you need to switch to adds or something. And then there is trying to keep within range of ally.

I don't usually go for Extreme trials or end game raids so this might not be a big affect on me but I was considering attempting some Stormblood endgame, but it looks like I'll need to rethink that.

I'm having concerns at the moment. I'm only level 66 but I looked at some of the abilities I will be receiving and I felt overwhelmed. The game was supposedly reworked because of useless skills and complicated rotations but Heavensward DRG rotation seems a lot simpler. I'll need to wait and see once I'm level 70.

Dragon Sight in particular, trying to figure out the best way to switch to ally while trying to keep DPS up fon boss. Being on PS4 and using a controller will hinder me too as I usually switch my targeting to enemies only so I can quickly press 'X' to switch to closest enemy. I seen it recommended to use a macro with focus target but I usually focus target on boss so I can keep watch for certain mechanics when you need to switch to adds or something. And then there is trying to keep within range of ally.

I don't usually go for Extreme trials or end game raids so this might not be a big affect on me but I was considering attempting some Stormblood endgame, but it looks like I'll need to rethink that.

At least you don't need to focus target on a boss anymore, since casts are now indicated in the enmity list so you can keep an eye out there for mechanics while attacking adds.

Trojita

For ease of use people are using macros to apply Dragonsight to the nearest person, which under most opportune moments would be a dps.

Jayhawk

Shake it off should increase enmity gain for a short duration because the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate while I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, I shake it off.

Clyde Donovan

Neo Member
At least you don't need to focus target on a boss anymore, since casts are now indicated in the enmity list so you can keep an eye out there for mechanics while attacking adds.

That's true, but the focus bar suited me better as I could have it roughly centre of my screen but without being in the way. I'll get use to it.

For ease of use people are using macros to apply Dragonsight to the nearest person, which under most opportune moments would be a dps.

That's something I'll look into. I've already arranged my party list so that melee DPS should always be below my name.

Thanks for the help.

Decided to change class to Marauder -> Warrior. Still a newb but i read that they are very very good at soloing? Is that still the case? I loved soloing random shit in FFXI as beastmaster & RDM.

Well they're ok, RDM is probably king of soloing old content now, kinda like in XI. Although they might nerf their heal tomorrow/at some point in the future which would severely reduce their ability to solo content since atm it mostly works because you can go from 20% to full in 2 healers and resume DPS.

Warriors also lost a lot of their self healing, so it's probably not as great as it used to be, but then again with 10more lvls at least for ARR content it should be about the same/better since you kill stuff so much faster anyway. Paladin would be better probably since they can virtually self heal forever if the damage they take isn't too high.

That said I don't know if the ability to solo outdated content is really a great way to choose a class, especially since a lot of the content can't be soloed anyway. Nice for farming ponies or something like that.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well they're ok, RDM is probably king of soloing old content now, kinda like in XI. Although they might nerf their heal tomorrow/at some point in the future which would severely reduce their ability to solo content since atm it mostly works because you can go from 20% to full in 2 healers and resume DPS.

Warriors also lost a lot of their self healing, so it's probably not as great as it used to be, but then again with 10more lvls at least for ARR content it should be about the same/better since you kill stuff so much faster anyway. Paladin would be better probably since they can virtually self heal forever if the damage they take isn't too high.

That said I don't know if the ability to solo outdated content is really a great way to choose a class, especially since a lot of the content can't be soloed anyway. Nice for farming ponies or something like that.
Literally no indication to this extent.

R0ckman

Are the level 70 gathering gear accesories from leather worker part of leves are something? The HQ value plummetted from where they were. They were like 300k-400k two weeks ago, this week they were about 150k at HQ.

studyguy

Are the level 70 gathering gear accesories from leather worker part of leves are something? The HQ value plummetted from where they were. They were like 300k-400k two weeks ago, this week they were about 150k at HQ.

No, like everything else gathering/crafting.
Everyone and their mother now has a maxed craft/gather so prices drop like a rock.

My palladium nugs are worth squat down from 30k

R0ckman

No, like everything else gathering/crafting.
Everyone and their mother now has a maxed craft/gather so prices drop like a rock.

My palladium nugs are worth squat down from 30k

Yeah it seemed really easy to level these in SB, I'm gonna finish off CUL first then since people always need food. I'll let the rest sit at 60.

studyguy

Why do the egis look stupid and abstract and not more like flashier minions?

Let me set the stage

Code:
PRE 2.0 Community: Holy shit they gave us summoners holy fuck holy fu...

Post 2.0 Community: These fucking summons look like shit, why this dude a chicken nugget fam?

Post 3.0: This fucking nugget still looks like a nugget, I fucking hate DOTs, why am I just a DOT class jfc

4.0: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW THEY FUCKING TOOK MY DOTS THANKS ASSHOLE, PLUS NOW I CAN'T SEE SHIT BEHIND THIS FUCKING DRAGON

Also when in doubt, blame PS3 limitations for anything you hate pre-4.0

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Well, i intend eventually to go RDM for sure, but i'm in no hurry really. I will do old content, at a non rush pace, enjoying free trial for a while, leveling probably many characters i guess.

Warrior end game is not what i'm deciding to play as, it's a mean to an end (lvl50) eventually for RDM. Up to lvl 50, Warrior should not have much problems soloing? Or grouping wait times for that matter?

Trojita

Well, i intend eventually to go RDM for sure, but i'm in no hurry really. I will do old content, at a non rush pace, enjoying free trial for a while, leveling probably many characters i guess.

Warrior end game is not what i'm deciding to play as, it's a mean to an end (lvl50) eventually for RDM. Up to lvl 50, Warrior should not have much problems soloing? Or grouping wait times for that matter?

There isn't much at all if anything you need a "soloing" class to do in FFXIV. If you are looking to level as fast as possible with limited wait times, a tank or healer is what you want. You'll be able to finish dungeons, both for exp and those required to get through the msq, much faster.

iammeiam

Let me set the stage

Code:

Post 2.0 Community: These fucking summons look like shit, why this dude a chicken nugget fam?

Post 3.0: This fucking nugget still looks like a nugget, I fucking hate DOTs, why am I just a DOT class jfc

4.0: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW THEY FUCKING TOOK MY DOTS THANKS ASSHOLE, PLUS NOW I CAN'T SEE SHIT BEHIND THIS FUCKING DRAGON

Also 4.0: OH GOOD IT'S STILL A FUCKING CHICKEN NUGGET AND NOW I CAN'T EVEN HEAL IT FUCKING THANKS

I think they forgot Titan egi existed tbh

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Got both dog mounts within an hour of each other during random practice runs.
Might as well quit the game until Sava--- oh.

Hmm I think Yoshida said something about it in the live letter? If they don't they don't, just wouldn't bank on it being OP permanently.

It's not any more OP than Clemency.

Alex

Let me set the stage

Code:

They 1:1 copied a 2004 Warcraft Warlock with an Imp pet for a Final Fantasy summoner. After that, they kept the exact same design but fudged with the dots and made the Imp giant and float in front of your camera.

It's a stupid design and every complaint about it is right. I usually hate it when people say this about a class in an MMO but this time its right: Summoner should basically be erased and remade. They royally fucked it up.

It is especially irritating when most of their systems favor a classically designed Summoner.

Trojita

Only patch they should make to Summoner is titan egi playing I Beat Titan audio to any players in proximity to it.

I read the talk about macros earlier, but I might have missed a mention of priority macros rather than skill execution macros. On my dps classes, I use a priority macro for stuff like NIN's Assassinate. I have it tied to the combo opener, so if Assassinate is up, pressing the combo opener will execute Assassinate instead.

Is this also considered a bad practice by the high-end raiding groups for the purposes stated before?

I don't see myself changing this regardless, as I don't usually raid, but I'm curious.

Jayhawk

I read the talk about macros earlier, but I might have missed a mention of priority macros rather than skill execution macros. On my dps classes, I use a priority macro for stuff like NIN's Assassinate. I have it tied to the combo opener, so if Assassinate is up, pressing the combo opener will execute Assassinate instead.

Is this also considered a bad practice by the high-end raiding groups for the purposes stated before?

I don't see myself changing this regardless, as I don't usually raid, but I'm curious.

Considering you can't queue up the combo opener (your most-used button) because it is in a macro, this is very bad practice. Plus, blindly using cooldowns like Assassinate because it's inside a macro doesn't help you improve your abilities in the long run. Learn to Assassinate what you want to when you want to.

Alex

They did little to help with ability bloat besides normalize to Heavensward's standard, so I get the desire but honestly I wonder if you'd be better off just not using Assassinate rather than cutting the ability to queue off of your primary combo.

I guess I don't get what queuing does for me. Does it guarantee that I'm adhering to the GCD? And not queuing means that I'm at least a fraction of a second off when I execute something that's been macro'd?

I've never felt like I'm struggling to keep up with the GCD, but I guess I'll try to un-macro and remap Assassinate and see if I can adjust.

Shahed

I guess I don't get what queuing does for me. Does it guarantee that I'm adhering to the GCD? And not queuing means that I'm at least a fraction of a second off when I execute something that's been macro'd?

I've never felt like I'm struggling to keep up with the GCD, but I guess I'll try to un-macro and remap Assassinate and see if I can adjust.
You could map it to Mug or Jugulate to save hotbar space if you need it and press those when it's ready. I put Shield Swipe/Spirit's Within and Howling Fist/Elixir Field together for that reason. I also map Circle of Scorn with Flash, and Unleash with Salted Earth and just press it in between my GCD when I want to use it.

Queueing a skill guarantees it'll come out as soon as possible while using macros pretty much guarantees that not only you can't reach your lowest delay possible but it'll greatly increase it as well as clipping your stuff. It might not sound like much but over the course of a long fight it'll add up immensely because you'll be one GCD behind someone with no macros after just a handful of GCDs and this will lower your damage quite a lot.

It's really not worth it specially since execute skills only trigger once every 12~30 seconds and only while the enemy is almost dead which will basically mean you're losing 20+ GCDs over a 10 minute fight for something you'll use less than 10 times. Depending on how many macros you have set up for Assassinate its very likely that you'd do more damage ignoring it completely than using macros for it.

Top Bottom