• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

They 1:1 copied a 2004 Warcraft Warlock with an Imp pet for a Final Fantasy summoner. After that, they kept the exact same design but fudged with the dots and made the Imp giant and float in front of your camera.

It's a stupid design and every complaint about it is right. I usually hate it when people say this about a class in an MMO but this time its right: Summoner should basically be erased and remade. They royally fucked it up.

It is especially irritating when most of their systems favor a classically designed Summoner.

I've mained Summoner since early 2.0 and sadly I agree. What made it fun for me at first was how the rotation would shift as the battle goes on depending on how your dots were doing. And I also loved spreading my dots and nuking when I had maximum length dots up. And then with HW they added an AOE nuke which made you feel like a god.

So that's great and all, but notice how none of those things involve summoning? Right. Because basically all you do is set your pet somewhere, rouse it sometimes and use its special attacks. Yay. I thought FF summons were supposed to be crazy all powerful beings nuking things? And why do we still only have one summon that is actually useful? Just really poorly designed and implemented. At least change its job name to something more fitting.

MechaX

One of the things that just blows my mind about SMN, is that they make a very specific burst damage phase, but fucked it up so badly that it's at times better to discard an entire DWT within 2 seconds so you can deal with Aetherflow timing fuckery.

They made a very specific burst phase that can at times punish you for actually fucking using it the way it was supposed to be used.

Queueing a skill guarantees it'll come out as soon as possible while using macros pretty much guarantees that not only you can't reach your lowest delay possible but it'll greatly increase it as well as clipping your stuff. It might not sound like much but over the course of a long fight it'll add up immensely because you'll be one GCD behind someone with no macros after just a handful of GCDs and this will lower your damage quite a lot.

It's really not worth it specially since execute skills only trigger once every 12~30 seconds and only while the enemy is almost dead which will basically mean you're losing 20+ GCDs over a 10 minute fight for something you'll use less than 10 times. Depending on how many macros you have set up for Assassinate its very likely that you'd do more damage ignoring it completely than using macros for it.

That's a good way to put it. Okay, I'll mess with it later today and see if I can't find a spot for it.

You could map it to Mug or Jugulate to save hotbar space if you need it and press those when it's ready. I put Shield Swipe/Spirit's Within and Howling Fist/Elixir Field together for that reason. I also map Circle of Scorn with Flash, and Unleash with Salted Earth and just press it in between my GCD when I want to use it.

Yeah I think I'll pair it up with Mug since it's oGCD anyway. Thanks for the tip.

If you macro oGCDs, in general it's fine and won't clip anything, but you can't weave 2 oGCDs per GCD with macros for sure. It also usually requires you mash the key versus press once, which depending on your playstyle doesn't matter(you're already mashing) or is annoying(you don't mash).

It's when you macro your GCD skills that it all goes to shit.

Lootmaster parties are so stupid. I never understand why people join if they are 8th or 7th in the group. I never join those because it always ends up in the leader disbanding after he gets his mount.

Lootmasters can be useful if you don't want a rare drop and are just looking to get some clears for a weapon or token

Joining one for any other reason is the definition of insanity

Lootmasters can be useful if you don't want a rare drop and are just looking to get some clears for a weapon or token

Joining one for any other reason is the definition of insanity

It certainly can be useful. The majority use it for scamming though. Then there's one guy who puts a pf up saying lootmasters are scams don't be an idiot but he's the guy who got scammed :p

Samus4145

Tried my first EX (Ramuh). Was a wipe and the Tank started rantingc and saying anyone that never did it needs to leave and watch the videos. Sigh. Not a pleasant experience.

Edzi

Tried my first EX (Ramuh). Was a wipe and the Tank started rantingc and saying anyone that never did it needs to leave and watch the videos. Sigh. Not a pleasant experience.

I'm looking forward to finally trying Susano and Lakshmi EX after I gear up a bit. Only other EX I've attempted synced is Titan, and that was a mess.

I'm gonna try to drag along as many GAF peeps as I can.

Guess Who

Banned

Ramuh EX is a piece of shit. Possibly my least favorite EX primal. I definitely would not recommend trying it blind.

Hmm I think Yoshida said something about it in the live letter? If they don't they don't, just wouldn't bank on it being OP permanently.

Yeah, so it's unlikely that they are buffing Vercure. More likely to be a nerf which sucks because right now it's fun to use.

If they make it any weaker there won't be any point to using it other than getting Dualcast.

Let me set the stage

Code:
PRE 2.0 Community: Holy shit they gave us summoners holy fuck holy fu...

Post 2.0 Community: These fucking summons look like shit, why this dude a chicken nugget fam?

Post 3.0: This fucking nugget still looks like a nugget, I fucking hate DOTs, why am I just a DOT class jfc

4.0: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW THEY FUCKING TOOK MY DOTS THANKS ASSHOLE, PLUS NOW I CAN'T SEE SHIT BEHIND THIS FUCKING DRAGON

Also when in doubt, blame PS3 limitations for anything you hate pre-4.0

I can't even call the Summoner in this game a Summoner. I don't remember summoning chicken nuggets in past games.

Clyde Donovan

Neo Member

This is what is putting me off trying EX trials. I usually do look up a guide as I'm usually behind on content so I'll definitely watch a YouTube video for any EX if I attempt. I only managed to work up the courage to try the Binding Coil of Bahamut this year, and that's in part because it got nerfed and was less intimidating.

Thorgal

Let me set the stage

Code:
PRE 2.0 Community: Holy shit they gave us summoners holy fuck holy fu...

Post 2.0 Community: These fucking summons look like shit, why this dude a chicken nugget fam?

Post 3.0: This fucking nugget still looks like a nugget, I fucking hate DOTs, why am I just a DOT class jfc

4.0: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW THEY FUCKING TOOK MY DOTS THANKS ASSHOLE, PLUS NOW I CAN'T SEE SHIT BEHIND THIS FUCKING DRAGON

Also when in doubt, blame PS3 limitations for anything you hate pre-4.0

You forgot :

Pre 4.0: OMG summoner can now use Bahamut as a pet! best expansion ever!

Post 4.0: wtf SE our Bahamut Summon is way too big . I and other players can't see Shit.

iammeiam

Yeah, so it's unlikely that they are buffing Vercure. More likely to be a nerf which sucks because right now it's fun to use.

If they make it any weaker there won't be any point to using it other than getting Dualcast.

Didn't it get mentioned as part of the whole Summoner thing?

This hilarious answer

Q12. Red mage’s Vercure is affected by the INT attribute, but would it be possible to change summoner’s Physic so that the cure potency changes with INT?

A12. Red mage was born from both white and black magic; however, summoner is different.

Summoner can raise players, while black mages cannot. This is part of their role. If we made it so that all jobs can do everything, every job will just become the same, and I don’t think that’s how a game should be.

I don't think any kind of conclusion can be drawn from the answer to "Can our heal be non-shit like the RDM heal?" Being "No, you can rez while BLM can't and it is our diversity that purple monkey dishwasher."

Samus4145

This is what is putting me off trying EX trials. I usually do look up a guide as I'm usually behind on content so I'll definitely watch a YouTube video for any EX if I attempt. I only managed to work up the courage to try the Binding Coil of Bahamut this year, and that's in part because it got nerfed and was less intimidating.

Yup. I look up the boss strats for every dungeon/trial, but watching a video is much different than actually playing it. I feel like some people should not be in duty finder if they flip out instantly on someone new.

In any event, I got my wind-up Ultros today, so I think I came out ahead.

Lesath

There's just too much to take into account and not fuck up while trying to do every mechanic. People complained about WT and F&C, but even they were easier to manage in HW compared to everything you have to take into account now.

The positionals. They make having True North a necessity in some fights. I don't have the numbers on me, but fucking up just positional massively fucks up dps numbers way more than any other job.
The Eyes. Why do you even have these dropping off.
When to actually pop Life of the Dragon.
Even if they are part of the generic rotation, even our buffs and debuff timers are ridiculous. Higanbana lasting 60 seconds was like a breath of fresh air. Imagine if Higanbana or Ninja's Huton only lasted 30 seconds.

Dragon Sight even being a thing seems like a joke from the dev team. You can't use it in solo play. Requires you to select a teammate in the middle of a fight on top of everything else you are taking care of. And now you need to make sure that person is sticking by you or your dps falls even more.

I was super surprised to see other classes have gauges similar to BotD or Eyes, but those gauges don't drop. When I got my Kenki gauge as a SAM and noticed it wasn't falling at all, even out of battle, I was like "lol wut".

Yeah, I literally had more fun on my Dragoon until I hit level 66.

"Wait, I have to link up to somebody and hope to god they stay close to me for 20 seconds so I do 10% more DPS in that time? You mean the fate of my DPS depends on this mouthbreathing SAM?"

At level 68.

"Well, more oGCDs are nice I guess."

And then at 70.

"Okay I have 4 eyes and I just had to manually refresh BotD. Pull pull pull pull FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TANK PU-"

Blood of the Dragon fades.

-or-

"Okay just spent the last few minutes building my eyes and banking my cooldown. Time to lay the smackdown on this boss.

Enter untargetable phase.

Blood of the Dragon fades.

INTERNAL SCREAMING.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think any kind of conclusion can be drawn from the answer to "Can our heal be non-shit like the RDM heal?" Being "No, you can rez while BLM can't and it is our diversity that purple monkey dishwasher."

LOL it's funny cause he mentions smn can raise as being special but RDM can too xD Shit they are the best in the game at it in a sense

Ruff

Queuing for these story dungeons as a DPS so i can get the heck on with progressing is making me glum. 58m and counting for Castrum :(

Didn't it get mentioned as part of the whole Summoner thing?

This hilarious answer

There was another one where they said they were going to make adjustments to Vercure.

They kind of painted themselves into a corner with Summoner since the real summons are the Primals. Should've gone with the Iceheart/Shiva-style setup

Yeah, anything but what they have now. What's there right now is the most underwhelming interpretation of the Summoner possible.

Apoptomon

Honestly, I just treat LotD as A Nice Thing That Happens Occasionally - if you can get a Nastrond or three, that's nice. If not: eh, whatever.
The worst part of Dragoon experience was the pre-4.0 lower levels when Impulse Drive Might as well have been the only button on your hotbar.
...Is it bad that I like to use Spineshatter/Dragonfire to enter the fray? I think it's fun/flashy but it probably just shows how blasé my attitude is towards maximising optimisation.

If they make it any weaker there won't be any point to using it other than getting Dualcast

That's what I said, that it was possible it'll get nerfed, not that it would get buffed. If it gets nerfed, it'd make soloing old content as RDM harder, since the main reason it can be done efficiently enough is that Vercure is strong currently so you don't need to spam it and can do your damage rotation inbetween the heals.

Ruff

Just had our first taste at the utter toxicity we can probably come to expect from endgame players :) People rushing through this 8 man dungeon, locking our new healers out from boss fights who are being stopped by cutscenes and generally being twats to them when they don't get heals despite not taking off the 10 adds trying to kill them.

lovely. Denam Yon, if you're here, get bent <3

axyolbd.jpg

A little bit of context. I was discussing the infamous butt nerf between 1.0 and 2.0. To give a better comparison between models during 1.0 and current game, I made a couple of screenshots to demonstrate the current state of the model. I did not give her this facial expression intentionally. It just a happy little amusing coincidence that my character ended up looking really unhappy about me undressing her XD

Gnomist

That's what I said, that it was possible it'll get nerfed, not that it would get buffed.

The fact that RDM can do some clutch healing and some quick resurrections is what makes it feel (very) vaguely familiar to the old jack-of-all-trades style. I didn't see any RDM comments in the last Live Letter to suggest they were making changes, but I hope they leave it as is.

Wilsongt

A little bit of context. I was discussing the infamous butt nerf between 1.0 and 2.0. To give a better comparison between models during 1.0 and current game, I made a couple of screenshots to demonstrate the current state of the model. I did not give her this facial expression intentionally. It just a happy little amusing coincidence that my character ended up looking really unhappy about me undressing her XD

Name quote.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure everyone is using Onigari-yaki, because I sell a lot of it.

scy

Stats being what they are, I'd say there's a good argument for Jellied Compote (79 Det / 32 Crit) over sushi but we'll see.

Ozigizo

Lootmaster parties are so stupid. I never understand why people join if they are 8th or 7th in the group. I never join those because it always ends up in the leader disbanding after he gets his mount.

Never ever lootmaster with random people. Like you said, leader will take the first drop and disband. This happened a lot with pony farm parties.

Top Bottom