• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Aeana

I'm definitely not going to bother staying up for launch moment, I'll just get up early tomorrow. Got the day off, should be nice.

Blitzhex

Optimal usage of cards for AST? Still an AST newbie here.

For general play all I do is reroll/save cards trying to get out a aoe balance, throw the rest.

I guess in progression savage raids you'd need to do the mana or defensive cards in specific phases of a boss fight?

Emitan

Optimal usage of cards for AST? Still an AST newbie here.

For general play all I do is reroll/save cards trying to get out a aoe balance, throw the rest.

I guess in progression savage raids you'd need to do the mana or defensive cards in specific phases of a boss fight?

Unless they nerf balance you basically want to AoE a balance for 8 mans and extend a balance on your best DPS for 4 mans

iammeiam

^ - This is probably the best answer in general.

And until we see recipes and learn the restrictions on the items that go into the new food/pots (which probably won't happen until yellow scrips go live), it's hard to say what's worthwhile. The HW potion market was so jacked up X-pots survived until Creator, somehow.

I'd guess the glamour weapon crafting game is a good place to be in right now, since RDM and SAM will get crafted primal weapons.

iammeiam

The server status list is up and kind of hilarious.

Congested worlds:
JP:
 × Bahamut
 × Carbuncle
 × Chocobo
 × Mandragora
 × Shinryu
NA:
 × Balmung
 × Gilgamesh
EU:
(not found)

Preferred Worlds:
JP:
○ Durandal
 ○ Kujata
 ○ Ridill
 ○ Typhon
 ○ Valefor
 ○ Yojimbo
 ○ Zeromus
NA:
 ○ Coeurl
 ○ Goblin
 ○ Mateus
 ○ Valera
EU:
(not found)

New Worlds:
JP:
(not found)
NA:
(not found)
EU:
 ○ Omega

Everyone else is standard. I kind of expected... more motivation to move, I guess? I can't see them getting people to leave Gilgamesh or Balmung for Mateus, etc.

It's like nearly 11pm and I still haven't had my early access preorder code from Amazon UK. The hell? Like if I don't get it in the next hour I'm just gonna buy the digital version.

Emitan

The good thing about this is that I was too lazy to finish animas beyond the first so I feel kinda vindicated.

I never even finished my one Anima lol.
I got to umbrite and gave up.

People were saying in here that DRK got nerfed? Why? What got changed? Or is it just in relation to Paladin?

Scourge removed. Stun no longer does damage (or procs on parries). Reprisal no longer does damage. Can't use Blood Price outside of Grit. PLD got every single one of their potencies buffed IIRC?

B.K.

Has anyone had any trouble getting the launcher to start to download the update? When I log in, I get a prompt to download Heavensward and that it's a 10GB download. When I agree, I get this error:

H7FsbgU.jpg

Scourge removed. Stun no longer does damage (or procs on parries). Reprisal no longer does damage. Can't use Blood Price outside of Grit. PLD got every single one of their potencies buffed IIRC?
That and all tanks losing damage because they only scale with STR again and can't equip Slaying accessories anymore

IvorB

It's like nearly 11pm and I still haven't had my early access preorder code from Amazon UK. The hell? Like if I don't get it in the next hour I'm just gonna buy the digital version.

They told me it would be at some point tomorrow. They couldn't even commit to 'before 10am'. I already jumped ship 'cause that's bullsh*t.

Capella

Has anyone had any trouble getting the launcher to start to download the update? When I log in, I get a prompt to download Heavensward and that it's a 10GB download. When I agree, I get this error:

Had this issue before and I think this was the solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3x27sq/unable_to_complete_version_check/

Sorry for the late response, talking with FC mates.

Go to Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\ open up FFXIV_BOOT.cfg in word pad or notepad.

You should see this:

<FINAL FANTASY XIV Boot Config File>

<Version>

Version 2

Language 1

Region 2

EulaAgreement 1

StartupCompleted 1

B4EulaAgreement 1

BootVersionCheckMode 0

ConfigReset 0

Change the bold line from 0 to 1. Save, exit, boot and the launcher should force a check.

iammeiam

A kind soul on Reddit has confirmed that ranged grownup weapon damage from the Media Tour appears to have made it live; ranged are real DPS now!

That and all tanks losing damage because they only scale with STR again and can't equip Slaying accessories anymore

I totally don't get how tanks are going to scale threat over the course of the expansion. If the DPS get more mainstat from their right side, and tanks don't, DPS will outpace tanks pretty quickly unless Tenacity is insanely OP. It doesn't really help that none of the tanks want to do threat combos anymore, and tank stance itself seems less appealing than ever.

scy

No, Tenacity is simply a new secondary that increases mitigation along with damage. Unless it's restricted to tank gear only and given absurd weights, we're looking at scaling even worse than we did in 3.X series.

I totally don't get how tanks are going to scale threat over the course of the expansion. If the DPS get more mainstat from their right side, and tanks don't, DPS will outpace tanks pretty quickly unless Tenacity is insanely OP. It doesn't really help that none of the tanks want to do threat combos anymore, and tank stance itself seems less appealing than ever.
I dunno, maybe they expect tanks to rely on the new Shadewalker cross role skill? Plus Tenacity is a thing and Det got buffed, who knows
They depend on the new stat for that now right?
I don't really expect Tenacity to carry their damage

Razmos

No, Tenacity is simply a new secondary that increases mitigation along with damage. Unless it's restricted to tank gear only and given absurd weights, we're looking at scaling even worse than we did in 3.X series.
It is restricted to tank gear only

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's restricted to tank gear only
I don't really expect Tenacity to carry their damage
Yeah I don't think it will on it's own, but with no more accuracy stat I could see a mix of that, the reworked det and crit all adding up to make up for the change.

iammeiam

Tenacity is only on tank gear.

Direct Hit is only on DPS gear, but healers can meld it per Yoshida. With Tenacity, to be worthwhile for tanks it has to be crazy OP, and to be crazy OP it can't just only appear on tank gear, it also can't be meldable on non-tank-gear. They'd have to hard-cap tenacity on all non-tank-loot at 0, as opposed to just not having any on it, which is what's happening with Direct Hit.

Tenacity can't just be parry, it needs special restrictions that currently do not exist on secondaries in the game in order to be powerful enough to scale tanks properly.

I got to umbrite and gave up.

So what, it's the double paladin show now? Or pally with drk and war fighting for scraps?

a lightning strike just knocked the internet out for us and they're not sending anybody to fix it until tomorrow night ha ha ha

The new plan is to go have an SB leveling LAN party at a friend's place so at least I should still be able to play when maint ends.

Squishy3

threat hasn't been a problem for the most part since they did the huge enmity buff

i don't expect threat management to change much if at all

I seem to recall Yoshi saying that threat generation would get some changes. Wonder if that's still the case.
Direct Hit is only on DPS gear, but healers can meld it per Yoshida. With Tenacity, to be worthwhile for tanks it has to be crazy OP, and to be crazy OP it can't just only appear on tank gear, it also can't be meldable on non-tank-gear. They'd have to hard-cap tenacity on all non-tank-loot at 0, as opposed to just not having any on it, which is what's happening with Direct Hit.

Tenacity can't just be parry, it needs special restrictions that currently do not exist on secondaries in the game in order to be powerful enough to scale tanks properly.
Yeah, chances are it'll be the same as acc and healer gear. You can meld it but it'll never show up on any piece of armor naturally.

Top Bottom