• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

studyguy

I'll just Flash all day on Tank Stance, my job is to tank, not DPS.

And one enemy at a time.

manofculture.JPG

According to Yoshi P healers are NOT intended to contribute to dps. Like not expected to do that at all. He did lots of interviews recently and this point was made perfectly clear for the one he did with YouTuber Mr. Happy.
Not forced =/= not intended. If healers weren't expected to at least try to DPS they wouldn't get new DPS skills. The Stone 4/Malefic 3/Broil 3 and DoT consolidation they're getting aren't intended for those once every two patches quest duties no matter how much lip service Yoshi pays to lazy healers.

Kyzer

Banned
If he doesn't expect healers to do damage why is there no damage to heal? Outside of trash packs most damage is condensed into tankbusters or raidwide AoEs that come infrequently. A HoT or fairy can take care of everything else no problem.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I know he's said healers don't have to DPS. But it contradicts the design of the game unless healers are intended to sit around doing nothing for large portions of fights.

You need to calm down

iammeiam

I want to revoke the WHM card of any WHM that doesn't abuse Holy heavily in dungeons now. Even if you don't care about the damage component it's still amazing mitigation!

Not forced =/= not intended. If healers weren't expected to at least try to DPS they wouldn't get new DPS skills.

Yoshi's stance on everything boils down to: don't do it if it makes you feel bad.

It's why we don't have a hall of the intermediate! Telling somebody they're not doing their rotation right could make them feel bad!

Have to make it clear non-DPSing healers shouldn't feel bad! Marry it to doing everything you can think of to encourage healers to DPS, but give team no DPS just enough hope they can claim vindication!

I dunno. just if you are a WHM in a dungeon that does not Holy turn in your job stone immediately :|

Squishy3

I guess what it boils down to is while threat may eventually become a problem, the expansion isn't even out yet and if it becomes a significant problem the formulas will probably get changed, but the groups that are going to do the earliest clears possible are going to do the ridiculous spreadsheet math to figure out how much enmity they need to generate in each encounter to stay ahead. It's fine if you think I'm wrong iammieiam, because I probably am in the sense of min/maxing things (but I don't really care about that because I'm probably considered a casual raider) but you're ostensibly trading off your enmity generation to max out DPS. Of course you'd eventually run into threat issues. I do think taking Royal Authority off of Savage Blade is stupid, for example.

I also really hate that everyone's pulling the Yoshi saying "healers aren't intended to DPS" when there's other statements from Yoshi talking about this and that's not what he's saying about it at all. He specifically says you will want the healer DPS for those early clears when you're technically undergeared for the content.

From a Famitsu interview translated by Slycer on Bluegartr:

Yoshida: By now, I think a feeling has developed that healers have to participate in DPSing in instanced dungeons. Even if it's just a silent pressure, it is there. Because of that feeling, there were some players who may have felt anxious about joining as a healer. For someone like me who isn't focused about clear time, I'm fine as long as we can clear it. And I'll try to take things more slowly if I see someone who might be new. However, it's been getting more and more difficult for healers, which I'm sorry about. On my personal account, I play all the roles, and I like to have the feeling that I can play through instanced dungeons on my favorite role.

Since things are more serious in raiding, on the other hand, you'll definitely want to DPS for the first clear. As item levels go up and you're after repeat clears, the roles may shift. (laughs)

He isn't saying healers shouldn't DPS, but there shouldn't be an invisible pressure that if a healer isn't DPSing in a dungeon they're wasting everyone's time, and you see the occasional blowup in a dungeon where someone gets irrational that the healer isn't DPSing, which is mainly what he's referring to I believe? Obviously his statement at the end is wrong, since what'll happen in raids as the healers have more opportunity to DPS as the item levels go up.

Gojeran

If he doesn't expect healers to do damage why is there no damage to heal? Outside of trash packs most damage is condensed into tankbusters or raidwide AoEs that come infrequently. A HoT or fairy can take care of everything else no problem.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I know he's said healers don't have to DPS. But it contradicts the design of the game unless healers are intended to sit around doing nothing for large portions of fights.

Don't ask me I'm just quoting what he had said in the past and again very recently. Maybe they do intend for healers to not be doing a whole lot most of the time? Maybe that's why better players started doing dps as a healer and it kinda became this playerbase expected contribution when by design it's not actually needed.

Don't ask me I'm just quoting what he had said in the past and again very recently. Maybe they do intend for healers to not be doing a whole lot most of the time? Maybe that's why better players started doing dps as a healer and it kinda became this playerbase expected contribution when by design it's not actually needed.
It was absolutely needed in Gordias

I wish that from now on all dungeons would have 3 trash mobs, one trash mob before each boss.

They would auto attack for 20K and would do 40k tank busters every 10 seconds. Burst AoE damage every 5 seconds
They would have 2 million HP points.

Healers get to heal, Tanks gets to tank and DPS get to DPS

Everyone happy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have the ~6gb patch downloaded, am I done until servers come up tomorrow or will there be another one?

scy

MMO's in general tend to have a hard time balancing "you can do this but technically aren't intended to" and "you can do this so of course you're going to". The WoW solution in most cases was just to, for example, make your healing so bad in a DPS spec (and vice versa) as to be completely worthless in a raid setting. It's certainly not the most inspired route and I think it's cool that FFXIV has a different philosophy, but the min/max drive in these games is so strong that it may end up being the only lasting solution.

The big thing that makes it an issue in XIV, really, is that healers have a lot of free time to get away with DPSing. This combined with pretty potent DPS (albeit pretty stale and boring DPS) makes for a good case of filling blank globals with it, especially when MP has largely been an irrelevant concern. Now, they can make it harder to heal so there's less free time but that's rather unfair to the healers who do struggle to keep up and don't have the same luxury. So we're usually left in this state of things hit 'relatively hard' but infrequently and typically with a lot of excess time to be had.

By and large I operate under the assumption healers should DPS with any free time they have; but it's also taking advantage of spare time rather than "If you don't do X, then we're fucked."

Right but what you're saying isn't what he's getting at? They don't design with it as a required checkmark; it can be used to help reach it (be it because early or because people are slacking or whatever else). They don't intend for healers to sit around and do nothing but they don't design with a specific set of healer damage (or even really healing) since a lot of it ends up being variable; so do what you can but it's not the specific requirement to meet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

They are saying stuff so the casual players don't get stressed out and feel shunned. He straight up says healers are gonna be dpsing when things are serious

It was absolutely needed in Gordias
Yup, was 100% Balanced with tanks and healers dpsing as much as posible, if you didn't have tanks that knew the exact hits they could take in dps stance and healers understood how to max dps and heal you were not clearing this tier

iammeiam

I guess what it boils down to is while threat may eventually become a problem, the expansion isn't even out yet and if it becomes a significant problem the formulas will probably get changed, but the groups that are going to do the earliest clears possible are going to do the ridiculous spreadsheet math to figure out how much enmity they need to generate in each encounter to stay ahead. It's fine if you think I'm wrong iammieiam, because I probably am in the sense of min/maxing things (but I don't really care about that because I'm probably considered a casual raider) but you're ostensibly trading off your enmity generation to max out DPS. Of course you'd eventually run into threat issues. I do think taking Royal Authority off of Savage Blade is stupid, for example.

I guess what it boils down to for me is you waded in with:
threat hasn't been a problem for the most part since they did the huge enmity buff

It's not about casual vs hardcore, that's just demonstrably untrue in any situation where threat could have been an issue. You then just kind of doubled down? It's awesome if you don't care, but to interject into a discussion about tank threat struggle that tank threat struggle doesn't exist is like piping up in a conversation about whether or not the current rainstorm is going to lead to floods with "It hasn't rained in weeks!"

u wot

Gojeran

They are saying stuff so the casual players don't get stressed out and feel shunned. He straight up says healers are gonna be dpsing when things are serious

Yup, was 100% Balanced with tanks and healers dpsing as much as posible

So he is lying to the playerbase then? So newer healers who do feel nervous about dps and don't dps will think oh yoshi said it isn't really needed so that by the time it is needed they have no idea how the hell to manage it while also keeping everyone alive and keeping status cured. Smart plan, what could possibly go wrong. Btw this isn't a personal thing, I stopped playing whm a long time ago and only recently returned to the game on a new character playing WAR (which apparently is getting shafted, great).

So he is lying to the playerbase then? So newer healers who do feel nervous about dps and don't dps will think oh yoshi said it isn't really needed so that by the time it is needed they have no idea how the hell to manage it while also keeping everyone alive and keeping status cured. Smart plan, what could possibly go wrong. Btw this isn't a personal thing, I stopped playing whm a long time ago and only recently returned to the game on a new character playing WAR (which apparently is getting shafted, great).
Welcome to learning anything in this game, where we teach you nothing but expect you to know shit anyways

Emitan

Also keep in mind my complaints are about what the mechanics encourage you to do. Not what players are necessarily doing. In casual content I don't care if my healer does 0 DPS if they're keeping everyone alive. But the low amounts of damage clearly encourage healer DPS to fill empty globals.

dabig2

I did. Never got an email but they were sent to my messages in the account.
Your Account > Messages > Message Center > Other Messages > "Benefits to purchase order #XXXXX"

Ditto. I got that message 2 days after I pre-ordered a physical copy from them. They list the steps to redeem it in the message. After you redeem Amazon's promotional code at https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com/na, you'll then get another code, this time a PSN code, to redeem on the Playstation Store on your PS4.

Once all that happens, when you log into FFXIV through its launcher, you'll see a confirmation message that will link early access HW to your main account. You can then log onto Mogstation to verify if you want.

Squishy3

I guess what it boils down to for me is you waded in with:

It's not about casual vs hardcore, that's just demonstrably untrue in any situation where threat could have been an issue. You then just kind of doubled down? It's awesome if you don't care, but to interject into a discussion about tank threat struggle that tank threat struggle doesn't exist is like piping up in a conversation about whether or not the current rainstorm is going to lead to floods with "It hasn't rained in weeks!"

u wot
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have lead like that, and I apologize. It's just like, I feel the raiders that are trying to min/max DPS as much as possible know the downsides to it and as a result are going to min/max their group composition and as you said always take Ninja for the enmity management it allows.

It's more that if you feel comfortable DPSing, go for it, and now there's no longer as big a consequence if you fuck up because you can't throw out emergency heals in Cleric Stance and they do nothing.

It was just a couple nights ago I got a Vault with a 60 healer in all HQ 250 crafted gear who refused to use AOE heals and was healing people when they were full on HP. This is even worse than a healer that lets people die because they were in Cleric Stance, because they didn't even understand the basics of their class.

iammeiam

I point at this exchange a lot:

Y: The staff gave a suggestion to implement the Hall of the Intermediate the other day. (laugh) It would teach players who want to do extreme Primals their job rotations.

F: What was your response to the suggestion?

Y: It would give players the message that they have to do good in-game, so I wasn’t really into the idea… but recently I started thinking that it might not be so bad. (laugh)

He doesn't want to make people feel bad by implying they should do their rotations.

Like, dude is super paranoid about hurting people's feelings, to the point it negatively impacts decision making.

I did. Never got an email but they were sent to my messages in the account.
Your Account > Messages > Message Center > Other Messages > "Benefits to purchase order #XXXXX"

No luck with Amazon UK ;-;

I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Urgh my Amazon order is £10 cheaper than Stormblood on PSN, but I'd very much rather play tomorrow for certain.

Gojeran

I point at this exchange a lot:

He doesn't want to make people feel bad by implying they should do their rotations.

Like, dude is super paranoid about hurting people's feelings, to the point it negatively impacts decision making.

Jesus that's a bit extreme. My buddy tried the free trail recently and it's his first ever MMO experience. He really got a lot out of the hall of novice stuff. He said it helped him a lot. Why not do higher end training stuff.

Jolkien

Some people are so thin skinned these days. Am I one of the rare one that if someone point out something I could do to be better, I'm really glad instead of feeling butt hurt ? People these days...

Disappointing to read how the devs choose to approach this.

Luminaire

Jesus that's a bit extreme. My buddy tried the free trail recently and it's his first ever MMO experience. He really got a lot out of the hall of novice stuff. He said it helped him a lot. Why not do higher end training stuff.
Extreme but needed. If people knew how to play their class, everyone would be calm! Add a hall of expert too so we can bloodfight in the streets about min maxing!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Some people are so thin skinned these days. Am I one of the rare one that if someone point out something I could do to be better, I'm really glad instead of feeling butt hurt ? People these days...

It's not as common as you think sadly

I'm sure the healers would love to be told they need to dps /s
Yeah and the tanks and dps can all just press 123 and call it a day

Squishy3

People ultimately hate being told they're "bad" especially if they feel it comes off passive aggressive. I feel an immense sense of joy when people thank me for giving them advice, but 9/10 times they never respond or respond back negatively. Like I posted that story about The Vault healer who never used AOE heals and was healing people when they were full and I stuck behind and typed out a few things like "Hey ____, you're a WHM and you have good AOE heals like Medica, Medica II and Assize that you never used and instead single healed AOE damage, also you healed people who were at full HP and didn't need healing" and they read it and thought about it as they stood around for a bit and then left without saying a word. I wanted them to read it and engage in a dialogue because someone much less kind than I am will probably flip the fuck out on them if they keep playing like that.

Sorian

Banned
Ah, has time reset? Is it time for me to call out the shit healers who don't dps? Remember the garbage conjurer in the level 1-30 quest line? Take the hint.

Top Bottom