• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

studyguy

Whatever Tenacity is, it isn't parry.
It does something with damage, that's good enough for me.

Literally anything is better than parry.

Sorian

Banned
a lightning strike just knocked the internet out for us and they're not sending anybody to fix it until tomorrow night ha ha ha

The new plan is to go have an SB leveling LAN party at a friend's place so at least I should still be able to play when maint ends.

RIP, glad you're finding a way in anyway.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, chances are it'll be the same as acc and healer gear. You can meld it but it'll never show up on any piece of armor naturally.

I wonder how much of a boost it will be for healers that dps vs min maxing crit/speed/det stuff since it's not a required stat to dps anymore

Maybe as sch I would max crit on gear then fill in with hit now, but with det reworked.... Ahhh hurry and come out game

iammeiam

threat hasn't been a problem for the most part since they did the huge enmity buff

i don't expect threat management to change much if at all

This is, like, incredibly untrue for how things are now. The raid slot guaranteed to NIN is in large part because of threat management issues that arise from trying to max DPS. They just made tank stance in general less appealing, no tank wants to spam threat combo at this point (not even WAR and Butcher's Block), and the accessory issue is huge because with the way they've set it in two years tanks at iLevel 400, or whatever, will get the exact same amount of main stat out of their right side that they'll get tomorrow--1 STR VI worth of materia.

Like, threat was a concern before, and they're making it worse.

Whatever Tenacity is, it isn't parry.
It does something with damage, that's good enough for me.

Literally anything is better than parry.

Right, I don't mean to imply it's shit like parry--just that the amount of damage boost it would need to give means they can't just reuse the parry slot like they're reusing Accuracy for Direct Hit. Tenacity can be good and be meldable on DPS/healers, but if it's god-tier compensating for 0 main stat on tank right side good for damage, it needs restrictions beyond just 'isn't native to DPS gear'

I wonder how much of a boost it will be for healers that dps vs min maxing crit/speed/det stuff since it's not a required stat to dps anymore

Maybe as sch I would max crit on gear then fill in with hit now, but with det reworked.... Ahhh hurry and come out game
Meld skill speed for more booksmacks

iammeiam

PLDs gonna stack skill speed for those extra autos under Sword Oath.

WHMs gonna stack crit for a chance at that sweet, sweet Assize CD reduction.

shit gonna be crazy guys, who even knows what secondaries do anymore

dabig2

Downloaded patch and ready to go on my PS4!

Was reading the notes and this caught my eye:

2.x, 3.x
Certain large-scale FATEs will no longer require level sync to participate.

Yeeeeees. Maybe now I'll finally get around to doing that Special Tarasque Force fate (assuming it will be applied to this).

They told me it would be at some point tomorrow. They couldn't even commit to 'before 10am'. I already jumped ship 'cause that's bullsh*t.

I literally just asked and they told me to wait. Unless they expect me to do this in my sleep it is bullshit.

Is Amazon UK the only retailer having this problem in the UK (or even Europe)? I'm just curious to why this shit is happening.

Squishy3

The raid slot guaranteed to NIN is in large part because of threat management issues that arise from trying to max DPS.
There's the key part though? You're making a sacrifice there because you're sacrificing threat for DPS, so of course it'll eventually rise up and become an issue. It's not like they're unaware of the issue either though, with every single DPS having access to quelling strikes as a role action, though, with some classes having access to even more enmity reduction (Dragoon, Ninja) because they still retain theirs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wait after people talking about speed stuff... I went to look at fey wind...

Reduces weaponskill cast time and recast time, spell cast time and recast time, and auto-attack delay of self and nearby party members by 3%

:D YAAAAAAAAAAA

Aeana

t1497603600z2.png

ahhh

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow. It's downloading at a pretty decent rate.

Will they be firm on the 2am PST start time? I know it could be delayed, but they won't start early, right?

Planning to eat dinner and try to get to bed early, and wake up an hour before start to make a big breakfast.

studyguy

Right, I don't mean to imply it's shit like parry--just that the amount of damage boost it would need to give means they can't just reuse the parry slot like they're reusing Accuracy for Direct Hit. Tenacity can be good and be meldable on DPS/healers, but if it's god-tier compensating for 0 main stat on tank right side good for damage, it needs restrictions beyond just 'isn't native to DPS gear'

Honestly I'm just expecting them to kneecap tank damage as a whole and boosting multipliers for enmity stances to compensate. Idk, feels like a real yoshiP move.

Zomba13

New mount and minion icons.

http://m.imgur.com/a/FEUyR

I need to get me my DRK panther so I can start the grind to that sick red armoured panther.

Also, they all the new mounts for SB? Because it's shocking the only swimming mount is the CE bonus (I know flying mounts can swim, I meant only aquatic one).

Also, is that a Winston from Overwatch minion? Looks juuuuust like him using the Frogston skin.

iammeiam

There's the key part though? You're making a sacrifice there because you're sacrificing threat for DPS, so of course it'll eventually rise up and become an issue. It's not like they're unaware of the issue either though, with every single DPS having access to quelling strikes as a role action, though.

That makes no sense--they just gave all the tanks a bunch of stuff to do for damage. Yes, a tank with 100% tank stance uptime and 100% threat combo usage will probably not have threat problems, but that's not how the jobs work and that's not what any of the shiny new toys have anything to do with. This makes threat baseline the exact same issue it's been in HW--tanks are going to cut it as close as humanly possible, and with the way their right side works they will have to waste more time doing things for threat generation as the expansion goes on. It's inaccurate to say threat isn't a problem now--part of Monk's problem is even if their personal DPS cancels out TA they're an aggro magnet and can help with snap threat or much of anything--and it's inaccurate to say it won't be the case going forward. Threat isn't an interactive mechanic here, and it's a large part of why the discussion turns to "are they going to use threat struggle to bludgeon tanks into tank stance more."

And this is flat out wrong:

with every single DPS having access to quelling strikes as a role action, though.

Physical ranged don't; part of the assumption is due to the hit burst is taking, but they have 0 innate ability to do anything about threat, taking over the spot Monk occupied before.

Honestly I'm just expecting them to kneecap tank damage as a whole and boosting multipliers for enmity stances to compensate. Idk, feels like a real yoshiP move.

this is my worry; my dark horse push is that you'll be able to abuse the hell out of Shirk to tank swap a lot and build a threat lead.

...or, you know, kill everyone but one healer and have them healer lb3 to bring everyone back with threat at 0. It'd be fine

Squishy3

I mean I posted it in my above post but don't forget nearly every single DPS has access to quelling strikes (and some having access to more enmity reducers) since casters get luminiferous aether and Ninja and Dragoon still have access to Shadewalker, Smokescreen and Elusive Jump. (and Elusive Jump is now on a 60s cooldown)

I don't think threat will be as much of a problem as it's being made out to be.

That makes no sense--they just gave all the tanks a bunch of stuff to do for damage. Yes, a tank with 100% tank stance uptime and 100% threat combo usage will probably not have threat problems, but that's not how the jobs work and that's not what any of the shiny new toys have anything to do with. This makes threat baseline the exact same issue it's been in HW--tanks are going to cut it as close as humanly possible, and with the way their right side works they will have to waste more time doing things for threat generation as the expansion goes on. It's inaccurate to say threat isn't a problem now--part of Monk's problem is even if their personal DPS cancels out TA they're an aggro magnet and can help with snap threat or much of anything--and it's inaccurate to say it won't be the case going forward. Threat isn't an interactive mechanic here, and it's a large part of why the discussion turns to "are they going to use threat struggle to bludgeon tanks into tank stance more."

And this is flat out wrong:

Physical ranged don't; part of the assumption is due to the hit burst is taking, but they have 0 innate ability to do anything about threat, taking over the spot Monk occupied before.

this is my worry; my dark horse push is that you'll be able to abuse the hell out of Shirk to tank swap a lot and build a threat lead.

...or, you know, kill everyone but one healer and have them healer lb3 to bring everyone back with threat at 0. It'd be fine
Ok I didn't know ranged DPS don't have it, but still. I'm not convinced it'll be a huge issue in Stormblood.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you are in tank stance 100% of the time you are just making the fight harder to clear for your party. The same could be said of a healer that does 0 dps.

In casual stuff it's whatever but that's not how the harder end game content is designed or has ever been designed if people want to clear stuff before they outgear it

BLCKATK

Especially with PLD I think there is definitely going to be a benefit to get out of Tank stance more. Sword Oath procs Oath Guage gain much faster than Shield Oath, Sheltron is really good especially since it blocks magic now so it makes DPS stance even safer than before (which was pretty safe). People are going to want to play outside Tank Stance more I feel, there are "toys" they'll be missing out on in Tank Stance.

Gojeran

If you are in tank stance 100% of the time you are just making the fight harder to clear for your party. The same could be said of a healer that does 0 dps.

In casual stuff it's whatever but that's not how the harder end game content is designed or has ever been designed

According to Yoshi P healers are NOT intended to contribute to dps. Like not expected to do that at all. He did lots of interviews recently and this point was made perfectly clear for the one he did with YouTuber Mr. Happy.

scy

I don't think threat will be as much of a problem as it's being made out to be.

There's really no other way to put it but that you're wrong? Threat was the thin line as is in 3.X and the situation is worse now outright and will be worse per tier of gear upgrade going forward. If you're threat combo spam in tank stance it's less of a concern but it's still a situation of it trailing DPS scaling in terms of output; that we try to push damage more and more, and that they went out of their way to decouple DPS from threat combos, is a thing to consider.

That you list all sorts of threat management tools is true but they existed before as well when threat was borderline and we simply output more threat in 3.X than we will at 4.0.

Edit: It's also worth noting that we lost the WAR threat pull entirely and Butcher's Block is dropped from rotation for any tank swap that was used to build up threat buffers; PLD's maintenance Savage Blade was dropped out of Royal Authority and DRK is still just kind of emo about Power Slash.

Especially with PLD I think there is definitely going to be a benefit to get out of Tank stance more. Sword Oath procs Oath Guage gain much faster than Shield Oath, Sheltron is really good especially since it blocks magic now so it makes DPS stance even safer than before (which was pretty safe). People are going to want to play outside Tank Stance more I feel, there are "toys" they'll be missing out on in Tank Stance.

They're also the tank that gets gutted the most in tank stance; they have no damage dump that removes their damage penalty, even if it is the smallest outright @15%, but their Sword Oath is the best offensive stance in terms of passive DPS. There's a thing to be said about blocks generating more MP to feed Holy Spirit but I'm not convinced it's anywhere near the point of compensating -15% damage / -75 potency per auto to make it anywhere near the situation for WAR or DRK.

According to Yoshi P healers are NOT intended to contribute to dps. Like not expected to do that at all. He did lots of interviews recently and this point was made perfectly clear for the one he did with YouTuber Mr. Happy.

There's no expectation, that is no basic necessary need for, them to DPS; they should, however, try to DPS since there's no reason to not do it. It's the closest he can come out with saying that it's unnecessary but it should be there simply out of the ease of it being added.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Well he said that about HW also ;)

studyguy

Expecting DPS to use their enmity reducing skills outside of a raid setting with a group you know is like I dunno... Not reasonable given the usual PUGs I come across.

I sooner expect them to try and rip hate than help lessen the burden tbh.

iammeiam

Ok I didn't know ranged DPS don't have it, but still. I'm not convinced it'll be a huge issue in Stormblood.

OK but you've also indicated you're not super familiar with the HW threat problem, either, and you were basing your stance on repeated insistence that "every single" DPS has threat management in SB until that turned out to not be true.

If your general approach to content is such that threat in HW was never a concern, I think that will hold true in SB. But when trying to discuss that actual implementation of new kit, the current struggle and how that's going to map to tanks innately doing less damage, scaling worse, and more incentivized than ever to minimize threat stance and aggro combos is a pretty big area for concern.

J.D

So once we enter where do we start the main quest?
Its not as obvious as the previous expansion where Alphinaud was sitting in Camp Dragonhead. Im going to guess Rising Stones, but maybe not.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
MMO's in general tend to have a hard time balancing "you can do this but technically aren't intended to" and "you can do this so of course you're going to". The WoW solution in most cases was just to, for example, make your healing so bad in a DPS spec (and vice versa) as to be completely worthless in a raid setting. It's certainly not the most inspired route and I think it's cool that FFXIV has a different philosophy, but the min/max drive in these games is so strong that it may end up being the only lasting solution.

Also I'm home and patching and dunno what to do tonight

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Its not as obvious as the previous expansion where Alphinaud was sitting in Camp Dragonhead. Im going to guess Rising Stones, but maybe not.
Prelim patch notes general guide.

TuImyvD.jpg

There's a bunch of other things I didn't include. This is mostly a list to consult for your job and some slight other random stuff.

Emitan

Rising Stones IIRC. It's in the patch notes.

Expecting DPS to use their enmity reducing skills outside of a raid setting with a group you know is like I dunno... Not reasonable given the usual PUGs I come across.

I sooner expect them to try and rip hate than help lessen the burden tbh.

Right? It seems like, no matter what, one dps is trying to race against the rest of the group 90% of the time while trash clearing in duty finders. They will probably be hurting a bit more now.

Emitan

If he doesn't expect healers to do damage why is there no damage to heal? Outside of trash packs most damage is condensed into tankbusters or raidwide AoEs that come infrequently. A HoT or fairy can take care of everything else no problem.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I know he's said healers don't have to DPS. But it contradicts the design of the game unless healers are intended to sit around doing nothing for large portions of fights.

Dunan

I'm going into Stormblood almost totally blind -- last few games I've played with zero hype have been the best experiences. Can't wait! All I know is that we visit the Far East and that there's a ton of exploration to do. That and the two new jobs.

Looking forward to seeing all you Gaffers out in the wild!

Top Bottom