• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

T6 was really a roadblock because people were hella bad.
If we had a normal mode to go by it'd go down in no time.
I mean, it did go down in no time.

I know it went down fast, but it was still multiple hours. Like 12-ish I think? Even with normal mode, that turning into two pull stomping is a hard sell.

Robin64

Basically if one top guild in an MMO can beat something, it is "easy".

Amuses me seeing people whining on reddit who probably haven't even tried yet themselves.

Man, i wish i could motivate our FC to do stuff. I kinda wanna do this savage stuff, but PF is just not a great way to prepare for it, considering I'd also need to get me dem lakshmi accessories and yada yada.

Basically if one top guild in an MMO can beat something, it is "easy".

Amuses me seeing people whining on reddit who probably haven't even tried yet themselves.
Easy/Hard are always relative when it comes to raid difficulty. Easy will never mean "as easy as story mode", that doesnt mean its not easier than it could be. The fact that top groups can clear it in one or two pulls translates into groups taking way less time to clear it than they otherwise would.

"Easy" means people that cleared A9S will clear this faster than they did that.

Alrus

I don't understand why people are angry about instances. They're mostly inconsequential outside of hunts and the Ixion fate.

What the f**k, man? This is bullsh*t. Really annoyed about this. Honestly considering dropping my sub until they can figure this crap out without this stupid instancing.

Only solution is to remove these good/interesting rewards from open world content. Literally. Nothing you can do if hundreds of people congregate there to get stuff.

Robin64

It should be possible for them to only enable it on servers that need it. Mine (Exodus) is fine and feels almost dead with instancing splitting everyone up.

IvorB

Only solution is to remove these good/interesting rewards from open world content. Literally. Nothing you can do if hundreds of people congregate there to get stuff.

They have servers with a limit on the number of players they can hold. So that limit should be set to take into account the load on the server cause by players congregating in one place. Fair enough Ixion is a special case but why the whole of SB zones? For hunts that they've had for years and years?

There's nothing like dangling interesting open-world content as a carrot to accepting this crap. The onus is on them to have the server infrastructure to support the activities they add.

Anyways regardless of the reason, I'm paying a monthly sub to play this MMO and this poorly-implemented, irritating, fun-killing instancing is NOT part of the deal. I would literally cancel my sub right now except I have a friend who just recently starting playing and I don't what to ditch on him right now. But I will be looking for the first opportunity to do that and come back when SE has figured this out.

I'm assuming they don't actually have the ability to only instance particular servers.

Like their switch says:

Instance ALL servers:
ON/OFF

Instance these servers:
In development(?)

Not that any of that is an excuse, instances suck and it is stupid they haven't found a way to prune it down to particular areas and it has been how many years since they first introduced it?

yaffi

I don't understand why they don't have channels you can switch freely with a short cd, like Tera or B&S. Additional channels would open if needed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Those Dragoon changes just show that Square-Enix doesn't know what they are doing with the job.

Just glad I have multiple 70s cause damn

Why are you saying that?

I don't understand why people are angry about instances. They're mostly inconsequential outside of hunts and the Ixion fate.

The game looks like a single player game for most of the SB content post launch.

The game looks like a single player game for most of the SB content post launch.
I mean, people are done with the story and have flight, no one is gonna hang around open world areas outside of hunts, instances or not.

Instances are a minor inconvenience for hunts at worst. Me? I'd rather be able to actually load into a map when A/S ranks are up.

MechaX

At least DRG and MCH actually got some changes, changes in the sense that they are attempting to fix problems.

SMN made it sure that a blown Fester won't fuck you over for a minute. Well, okay, but SMN is still turbo-fucked for 2 minutes on death (maybe more if you died immediately after using Aetherflow), still has some useless skills (Devotion and Physick), still has completely competing burst systems, Bahamut's big blue ass (just make the goddamn thing transparent so it doesn't block people and/or mechanic markers), etc, etc.

Yeah, all the amount of future potential potency buffs in the world aren't going to matter for this class, might as well wait to see them give it another shot in 5.0.

IvorB

I'm assuming they don't actually have the ability to only instance particular servers.

Like their switch says:

Instance ALL servers:
ON/OFF

Instance these servers:
In development(?)

Not that any of that is an excuse, instances suck and it is stupid they haven't found a way to prune it down to particular areas and it has been how many years since they first introduced it?

Yeah it's not even just the system itself which is sh**ty, it's the implementation. They could have it only on congested servers or allow you to switch instances in a more streamlined way etc. They could also indicate what long term plans they have to alleviate this or do they see this as a suitable final solution to the problem?

Well, for me personally, I signed up to play an MMO not an instanced online multiplayer game. At the end of HW I was already getting a bit annoyed that everything they added was an instance and the zones were barren. So now the zones are instanced too which just pours oil on the fire.

I spend a lot of time in the zones interacting with randoms. Already the scope of activities that I can do there is limited (basically FATEs and hunts) since they haven't added anything of consequence in years and now this which further reduces the amount of people you can come across and makes responding to things happening extremely cumbersome.

And just when I got my RDM to SB zones and was so happy to see a lot of activity in the zones again after HW Chernobyl-esque empty zones.

I don't think that Inner Release/Unchained needed to be costless, but I'm not going to complain about it. Definitely happy about not losing beast gauge for stance dancing.

Well, for me personally, I signed up to play an MMO not an instanced online multiplayer game. At the end of HW I was already getting a bit annoyed that everything they added was an instance and the zones were barren. So now the zones are instanced too which just pours oil on the fire.

I spend a lot of time in the zones interacting with randoms. Already the scope of activities that I can do there is limited (basically FATEs and hunts) since they haven't added anything of consequence in years and now this which further reduces the amount of people you can come across and makes responding to things happening extremely cumbersome.

And just when I got my RDM to SB zones and was so happy to see a lot of activity in the zones again after HW Chernobyl-esque empty zones.
I'm not sure there's a good solution to this because the biggest thing in the game are raids and running dungeons all that takes place in instanced things because of course they have to. The interesting things they add to the game don't take place on the maps typically.

Sure there's quests out in the world but you eventually do them all and there's not a reason to go back to a particular area unless you are doing a hunt, FATE or gathering. Places are barren even when instances aren't a thing. I also like seeing people out in the world but I also realize there's not a lot of reason to spend time out in the world.

FATEs used to be the thing that made places seem busy but ever since PoTD was made huge FATE hunting parties have largely evaporated because PoTD or running dungeons has been deemed better. Now people really only do FATEs to get particular rewards or as something to do between dungeon runs(this really only applies to DPS due to their long queues times compared to tank and healer insta-queus)

IvorB

I'm not sure there's a good solution to this because the biggest thing in the game are raids and running dungeons all that takes place in instanced things because of course they have to. The interesting things they add to the game don't take place on the maps typically.

Sure there's quests out in the world but you eventually do them all and there's not a reason to go back to a particular area unless you are doing a hunt, FATE or gathering. Places are barren even when instances aren't a thing. I also like seeing people out in the world but I also realize there's not a lot of reason to spend time out in the world.

FATEs used to be the thing that made places seem busy but ever since PoTD was made huge FATE hunting parties have largely evaporated because PoTD or running dungeons has been deemed better. Now people really only do FATEs to get particular rewards or as something to do between dungeon runs(this really only applies to DPS due to their long queues times compared to tank and healer insta-queus)

Yes, you are describing exactly the problem :). But there is a good solution to this. That solution is for them to create compelling content for the open world. I'm not disputing the creation of dungeons and raids as I enjoy that content too. But let's not pretend this is a case of 'nothing to be done'. They have created this situation by making all the best options for levelling instance-based; they can fix it.

The new FATE mechanics in SB (why not in HW zones? no explanation for that) was a tiny baby-step in the right direction. It's 100% possible to create new stuff for the open world, especially for levelling. Even the Alex maps back when the Relic actually had some original thought to it. Those were cool. I'm not saying the next raid tier needs to be open world but they can do at least something.

But one thing is certain: instancing all the zones is making things dramatically worse.

And actually Peaks was really busy on the FATEs last night just like N Than. and Coerthas used to be (maybe still are?) back in the day. Busy, active zones are totally a thing that is possible.

Edit: And how could I forget leves. Some nice open-world, levelling content that's been there since day one pretty much but dropped for SB for some mysterious reason.

iammeiam

Angered has downed O3S.

Them bumping that close to enrage indicates a probably DPS hurdle for the majority.

Interesting to see if O4S is harder than A12S in a way that makes the tier take longer, given that they're 75% of the way through four hours in.

Edit: holy shit kill timer is 14:48 based on the mini parse. That is one long-ass fight.

Oh for fuck's sake, Square has increased the price on all Steam-related FFXIV purchases in my region

Not only you make the game play shittier with a stupid server move and now you also want to charge 50% more for it? Fuck off

iammeiam

Well.

I'm up like 4m so far this morning just from crafting and selling Reisui with my super cheap melds and no yellow scrip gear. 400k-800k per item on a craft that uses relatively easy mats and is 3x yield per craft ain't bad.

It's a pity there's no 2* consumables for ALC because the Reisui market can't last long.

Actually sub prices are the same if you set up auto renewal instead of one time payments for some reason that I shall not ask about in case its a mistake

MY FANTASIAS THOUGH

Top Bottom