• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lol Xeno just got full stage pushbacked by vacuum wave.

scy

Just for the sake of it regarding the VI meld stuff:

kL0VE4C.jpg

Why I chose SSPD instead of Direct Hit meme value, the world may never know.

R0ckman

Do they ever add new CUL recipies or Gathering items in between X.0-(X+1).0 patches?

Also, whats the best DF dungeon to roll when you are looking for new players to get points for Wondrous Tails?

Atolm

Downed O1S. It's pretty much the normal version but mistakes mean death. Even so it can be cleared with people dying, there's a lot of margin.

Onto O2S, things are more interesting here...

R0ckman

Thanks! I've been working on a FemRoe to fantasia in to for awhile. Using Baiken from Guilty Gear as inspiration.

I've been wanting to do a female Roe too, I'm hesitant because they look kind of weird as ninjas because they are so tall, so the hunch battle stance looks awkward. I'm not sure making them the shortest they can be would work.

Edzi

By this logic Elezen are actually the best because Estinien is dat dude. And Miqo'te are more human than Hyurs? LOL. XD

Already addressed, Hyurs are human but boring. I can only look at that stock WoL face so many times.

Elezen have the bro trinity, I'll give them that.

You guys have some great looking characters.

What's the verdict on the MCH buffs? They looked great from a rotational perspective but not so much a big bump in DPS

Bebpo

Banned
So in gearing up for Savage, since Creation tomestones give i330 everything except weapon, if you don't want to grind Susano Ex to get your i320 weapon, your basically stuck using an i310 weapon or buying a really expensive crafted i320 weapon?

I don't understand why Creation tomestones don't exchange for i330 weapons. I mean they already make Lakshima Ex irrelevant with i330 accessories, why do they want you to keep grinding Susano Ex until you get your weapon drop?

Also, how does the tomestone cap work? Like if you do WT 1 line and get 500 tomes of creation from it, do you only get 450 of them and lose the other 50?

So in gearing up for Savage, since Creation tomestones give i330 everything except weapon, if you don't want to grind Susano Ex to get your i320 weapon, your basically stuck using an i310 weapon or buying a really expensive crafted i320 weapon?

I don't understand why Creation tomestones don't exchange for i330 weapons. I mean they already make Lakshima Ex irrelevant with i330 accessories, why do they want you to keep grinding Susano Ex until you get your weapon drop?

Also, how does the tomestone cap work? Like if you do WT 1 line and get 500 tomes of creation from it, do you only get 450 of them and lose the other 50?
You can get a weapon with tomes though. It costs 1000 tomes + 7 weekly tokens from Omega v4

Cap works as a cap, you can't get more than 450 tomes in a week no matter what you do.

Philxor

I have decided to re-sub and see how things are going. I don't have an awful lot of time to pump into an MMO, but I think I have enough. Is there anything I need to brush up on before jumping back in? I think my character was extremely low level (circa 15).

iammeiam

What's the verdict on the MCH buffs? They looked great from a rotational perspective but not so much a big bump in DPS

Easier, less penalty for failure. More boring, less variation, it's borderline impossible to overheat between Wildfires on accident. They overshot the 'make it accessible' mark.

The Hot Shot buff is a damage gain, but the heat losses eat into the number of Cooldowns you can use, and as Cooldown is the second strongest GCD that kind of sucks.

Overheat not being buffed means an Overheated wildfire is still a DPS gain, but a relatively small one, over not overheating in the first place.

They didn't do anything to address the utility gap between supports, so while MCH hits a little harder now and will hopefully see more widespread casual adoption it's most likely not going to be in ~the meta~ any time soon.

I stand by the barrel stabilizer change being necessary for QoL, but they completely stripped out any heat gain over 5 and left ammo giving you 0 heat in, so it's a lot less dynamic.

Squishy3

They do offer Creation weapons, you can't get them for 3 weeks and need to beat O2S for the item drop from it, otherwise 7 weeks of O4S as Stone Ocean mentioned.

Easier, less penalty for failure. More boring, less variation, it's borderline impossible to overheat between Wildfires on accident. They overshot the 'make it accessible' mark.

The Hot Shot buff is a damage gain, but the heat losses eat into the number of Cooldowns you can use, and as Cooldown is the second strongest GCD that kind of sucks.

Overheat not being buffed means an Overheated wildfire is still a DPS gain, but a relatively small one, over not overheating in the first place.

They didn't do anything to address the utility gap between supports, so while MCH hits a little harder now and will hopefully see more widespread casual adoption it's most likely not going to be in ~the meta~ any time soon.

Yeah it seems like the completely missed the mark on what changes need to be made. I like the idea of easing the penalty for overheating but like you said it seems like they overshot it. Also, they either need to address this utility gap or give a bigger nuff to overall potency, since BRD likely still does more damage while providing more utility

Luigi87

I have decided to re-sub and see how things are going. I don't have an awful lot of time to pump into an MMO, but I think I have enough. Is there anything I need to brush up on before jumping back in? I think my character was extremely low level (circa 15).

If you're still that early into ARR, it might be worth starting over, lol
But aside from that, just focus on story quests, and quests that have a + sign (and are bluish-purple). You can pretty much ignore side-quests.

aceface

It's a bit counter-intuitive- you can get a weapon with tomes, but you have to buy 10 of the tokens that cost 100 tomes each, so it's 1000 creation tomes altogether. You also need to trade in 7 of the thingies you get for beating Omega 4 normal to get the weapon, and since you can only get one of those a week, that means about 4 more weeks until that weapon is available.

Also, 500 creation tomes will never be a reward for WT, it will probably be 50.

iammeiam

Yeah it seems like the completely missed the mark on what changes need to be made. I like the idea of easing the penalty for overheating but like you said it seems like they overshot it. Also, they either need to address this utility gap or give a bigger nuff to overall potency, since BRD likely still does more damage while providing more utility

I think they kind of understood some of the problems, but it's their years-long practice of pointing MCH in a direction and launching it with a rocket. Even if they picked the right direction, it just sales past what you were looking for and ends up overkill.

But that's what 3.0 was like; I think the gameplay now still comes out behind the OG MCH rotation, but you look a lot cooler and they've now done everything possible to encourage maximum looking cool uptime, so hopefully that gets more widespread adoption. They can rebuff Hypercharge in 4.2, or something, to fix the balance stuff but without just more bodies playing it in casual stuff 5.0 will just be another nuke and pave of the job.

I dunno, I'm kind of zen about it but I also already accepted I wouldn't be seriously raiding on it this tier pretty early on so I'm cool waiting for buffs. I think it's functional enough people who want to raid on it still can, but they're probably going to enjoy it less now which is unfortunate.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Savage looks really well balanced this time around, easy first floor to get people's feet wet, slightly more complex 2nd, slight more complex 3rd for the first half then final part is a true test of things, then 4th the important final fight is fucking insane lol

aceface

I'm getting T9 vibes from Exdeath savage. I'm getting the feeling this is one of those times when YoshiP is wildly wrong about difficulty when he said it would be "slightly harder" than A12S, Right now I'm seeing that one linked group die to an enrage at 60%.

Is it still mandatory to play group-dungeons with other people to advance the story or did they change that? I am interested in the game but I want to go 100% solo. Wasn't possible back in the day.

Squishy3

I'm getting T9 vibes from Exdeath savage. I'm getting the feeling this is one of those times when YoshiP is wildly wrong about difficulty when he said it would be "slightly harder" than A12S, Right now I'm seeing that one linked group die to an enrage at 60%.
At this point that's just optimization, everytime they've made it there has been with a lot of deaths. Weakness/Brink of Death are huge DPS losses now, so that'd account for them not beating the check.

Edzi

Is it still mandatory to play group-dungeons with other people to advance the story or did they change that? I am interested in the game but I want to go 100% solo. Wasn't possible back in the day.

It's an MMO. You do realize what that stands for right?

Robin64

Farming Bowl of Embers (Hard) on my 70 DRG to get Ifrit's Bow for my BRD, and will it drop? Nope! Got just about everything else at this point. It's like the game knew what I wanted.

iammeiam

I think perspective of timelines is kind of important here, though, because this tier is going by obscenely fast.

Here's the Creator world race sheet. The key thing here is that there was a decent chunk of time between the first 11S and 12S kills--over 24 hours. Even subtracting like ten hours in between to sleep, which I think is probably overkill, we're not really halfway through the time they spent progging 12S. The first 11 kill didn't happen for almost 12 hours after the first 10 kill. The first 10 was four hours after the first 9.

In comparison, the first 2 was like 30 minutes after the first 1. The first 3 was three hours later. We're only seven hours into O4S prog; even discounting how fast the first part of the tier went, we've got a pretty long wait to hit O4S taking as long as A12S.

I mean, the fight looks kind of nuts, but we don't really know where the groups pushing hard for world prog are and the groups we can see have made substantial progress. It's still entirely possible the tier goes down today.

(also I think that's the ult/phase transition/mechanics failure, not hard enrage.)

Top Bottom