• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Cmagus

Well, Layla and co. got the transition now which makes them the third Elysium group to reach it.

As far as I know, Angered, Solitude, and I think EM's Group 1 all got to O4S around the same time (+/- 30m).

Yeah I should have specified which EM group I guess lol. Gonna be interesting to see who clears it first, I wish all the others were streaming I'd like to see how Angrered is doing.

IvorB

Alex

Btw looking at the streams for O4S, remember when ppl said WHM has too much healing and it's pointless? The amount of aoe healing needed for that fight is pretty disgusting.

I said as much awhile ago but I felt like the new curve was obvious within release week. WHM is likely going to be a slightly preferred defacto healer with an AST or SCH as an accent for progression content. All three are in a solid spot after the fairly minor adjustments but WHM is just so solidly built and reliable that it seems like the obvious choice with the way the new abilities came out and how even trivial content was changed (65+ shit hitting WAYYY harder than HW). When they change game flow like that it's often for a package reason.

XIV has a really wacky community in its idea of balance. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Heck, for DPS the bulk of the classes are nearly on top of each other in terms of number tuning, like a 8-9% curve with Samurai as a mild outlier. Parser accumulation proves that, but you'd swear that some of them were worthless with the way some carry on.

Now whether you like your job or not is on the individual, I whine more than my fair share in that regard. Lots still need some good QoL pushes but only a few need even mild throughput changes, at least based on current content.

Lord help some of these people if they played another MMO. I mean 30%+ gaps are not abnormal in this genre. 10% across the board, even with the reduced complexity of the system variation is outstanding

Being realistic, half the time the meta and general perception of balance in XIV is often just one big meme.

CLBridges

Damn, that is impressive. I'm not a Savage raider but it's cool to see SE rewarding those who are with a little extra. Hopefully they do this kind of thing each tier.

IvorB

Ok, that may be the coolest thing I've seen yet in this game. I take back my criticism of savage, just a little.

Well, as a reward for tackling the hardest content I think it's pretty great.

Just watching these guys getting stomped is hilarious. Fight looks brutal.

Atolm

Downed O2S as well, fun and balanced fight all around, while it's not specially hard once you have the mechanics down, I think it won't be puggable for most people, a couple of mechanics require a semblance of coordination.

Nice to have a tomestone right in the first week, even though I'll have to wait the whole seven weeks (as always ;() since I'm a healer.

MechaX

OS4:

Hey, dawg I heard you like mechanics, so we put mechanics inside the mechanics

Yeah,
I saw that part where they put the stack mechanic inside of someone with the A11S triangle marker mechanic and was like "da faq".

I wouldn't be surprised if this fight had almost every mechanic, and then Neo Exdeath starts doing triple dive bombs at 40% health.

Moaradin

I can't believe they put that much effort in V4s. I thought that would be a separate boss or something, not from Savage. Really looking forward to it.

docbon

Wew, walk into O1S with an impromptu learning group and cross-server healer pug, walk out with a page and a clear.

Wasn't too challenging, but I liked it a lot.

Ruff

I find it quite annoying how AOEs disappear way before the actual attack hits and you don't really know if you made it out of one in time until you actually take damage. Why not just have the AOE stay up until the attack lands and if you're in it then, you take damage?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I find it quite annoying how AOEs disappear way before the actual attack hits and you don't really know if you made it out of one in time until you actually take damage. Why not just have the AOE stay up until the attack lands and if you're in it then, you take damage?

To fuck with your timing.

Because they'd need to tie the telegraphs to the animations then, which means they'd need mostly only fast animations. And that means they'd have to rework every single fight almost which sounds like quite a lot of work.

iammeiam

Literally the whole game works like this, it's just most obvious with AOEs.

Ever have a tank swear up, down, left, and right that they had a CD up but they died anyway?

Ever had a healer bemoan Benedictioning their own dead body?

Ever moved towards the end of a castbar and had the cast complete anyway, even though you were moving and it should have canceled?

The game has a lot of latency stuff going on, and part of the whole thing is that it 'locks in' damage and effects somewhere in the very tail end of cast bars. That means there's a short window at the end of the cast where nothing you do matters, because the game has already calculated what's going to happen next. While you think you moved early, as far as the server is concerned you moved after it completed the mechanic and the order you see it play out on your screen is secondary.

Over time you get used to it and learn how to make it work for you. It's dumb, but you learn when you can run into something that should be deadly because by the time the server realizes you're there the window is over. Slide casting (abusing that section of the cast bar between the server locking in that you've cast a thing and your client completing the cast) is an important part of caster mobility. You accept that you'll get hit by things and leave a body on the other side of the room;

It's not great, but it's deeply baked into the game's cores systems at this point and I'm guessing would be an epic struggle for them to remove. Instead they just say the game is supposed to be playable at 250ms ping and you can lump all the latency weirdness into that.

Gator86

Oh wow, the game yanked off my "road to 60" buff after maintenance. It makes sense if it's not a preferred world anymore, but it's kind of gross to offer that to get people to roll a character on one server then take it away pre-60.

Astral

So my account really might be gone for good. Can't log in to the email my SE account is connected to and support just emailed me saying "reset your password." Thanks jackass. I'd do just that if it didn't mean that you'd send a link to an email account I can't access. That's a lot of hours down the shitter. I'm not sure I wanna start over. This would be the third time. I still vividly remember all the damn cutscenes, all the boring initial quests, going through a list of hunts and company quests and running back and forth between two fate events to reach the level prerequisite to advance the story, the stupid story quest where you literally just get ingredients for some dumbass banquet at the beach or something. The last thing I remember is completing some cool Egyptian temple dungeon and being in some snowy place killing dragons and shit.

I also just miss my cute little White Mage. And I went through the trouble of dying my Chocobo white. I don't even remember how to do that. This shit sucks man. At this rate I'll never even play Heavensward or Stormblood. And I don't wanna pay to start there.

So my account really might be gone for good. Can't log in to the email my SE account is connected to and support just emailed me saying "reset your password." Thanks jackass. I'd do just that if it didn't mean that you'd send a link to an email account I can't access. That's a lot of hours down the shitter. I'm not sure I wanna start over. This would be the third time. I still vividly remember all the damn cutscenes, all the boring initial quests, going through a list of hunts and company quests and running back and forth between two fate events to reach the level prerequisite to advance the story, the stupid story quest where you literally just get ingredients for some dumbass banquet at the beach or something. The last thing I remember is completing some cool Egyptian temple dungeon and being in some snowy place killing dragons and shit.

I also just miss my cute little White Mage. And I went through the trouble of dying my Chocobo white. I don't even remember how to do that. This shit sucks man.

If you can't recover your account there is a level boost and story skip options now.

v2 is a pretty fun little dance. Got it to 65% today so we should be clearing it tomorrow.

And god bless the new Plenary. This thing is soooooooooooo helpful vs heavy AoE damage

What happened to this DoM armor? Is it gonna be another tier of armor and we'll be getting DoW variants as well?

32.jpg

Top Bottom