• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

ebil

Our WAR is so going to whine about WAR being useless when he sees it's been mostly absent so far, and I'm going to be slightly annoyed.

If he whines too much, I'll threaten to go SMN.

Ruff

People mad it got cleared so fast by maybe the top 0.1% of players as if they themselves had also beaten it. Don't worry lads I'm sure it will still take you weeks lol.

What happened to this DoM armor? Is it gonna be another tier of armor and we'll be getting DoW variants as well?
Yeah, I assume we'll get an entire tier based on those sets like we got this time around
we start in 15 minutes. i'm gonna fall off everything.
You're healing, right? You won't fall, you'll get to watch people fall instead

tfw you pull off a clutch healer LB3 but since your party died to falling it takes a few moments before they can be raised so you just die alone praying

KuroNeeko

Can we stop encouraging Miqo'te's pls

Thanks

TOO LATE!

12801318_10154738647603975_8454842718681761138_n.jpg

Qvoth

yeah i'm definitely expecting nerfs on sam and rdm now lol

edit: huh v4s was cleared with mnk nin brd rdm, no sam is surprising
ok but still i think it's safe to say they'll be nerfed, that's how s-e normally balances this game

Already cleared? Ahahahaha. Welp there goes my hopes of it not being cleared for weeks. I'm not saying it's not a hard fight at all. I'm saying this is disappointing to hear. Super savage better step it up considerably.

Christ without the double xp boost leveling is boring as sin in this game. Level 37 now and I am really struggling here. The story is just...inane, and the combat being so slow hurts loads

duckroll

Already cleared? Ahahahaha. Welp there goes my hopes of it not being cleared for weeks. I'm not saying it's not a hard fight at all. I'm saying this is disappointing to hear. Super savage better step it up considerably.

Disappointing to who? You haven't even played it. What disappointment are you getting from expert players beating it?

Zomba13

SE should just make a fight where you literally can't win or give the players a 24 hour straight Absolute Virtue fight.

Stuart444

The only way it wouldn't get cleared within a day or two is if it was literally gear locked as in you can't beat the DPS checks without better gear.

I mean I'm not sure what else they can do mechanics wise in that final fight to stop people from clearing it for a long time considering they throw so many mechanics at you and the aoe helping needed seems insane.

Only seen up to 63ish% from that Elysium stream as well. They stopped for tonight now though.

kaze343

in what way is it disappointing? the group that cleared put in the time(somewhere around 15 hours almost straight). everyone in the group had crafted gear, and was melded as much as possible. it has to be remembered, the top raiders do not represent all raiders. most groups i dont expect to clear for at least 2 weeks.

as for super savage, its going to be the same thing as savage second coil, so only the people who want a challenge will do it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6o3eq8/reminder_the_savage_content_being_cleared_quickly/

traveler

Not Wario
Considering giving this game a try to fill the FF void after I get through FFXII + post game stuff. Got a few questions for you folks if you don't mind answering.

1) What's the best class to solo the story experience with? I'm a veteran WoW raider and don't mind grouping up so some endgame and group viability wouldn't be bad, but I plan on approaching it as a single player game initially.

2) I've heard that a Realm Reborn's campaign can be a real drag- is it worth paying to jump to Heavensward or am I going to be pretty disoriented from a class mechanics/basic game mechanics/world perspective?

3) I heard there was supposed to be some Ivalice tie in with the latest expansion- do we know when exactly that's happening and what it's going to be like?

Thank you!

Luminaire

Going in blind this tier as well. Super fun to figure things out in our own instead of watching videos and guides. Knocked out 1, 2 isn't all that hard. Should have it down tomorrow, Awaiting the damage spikes in 3 though. 4 sounds nightmarish from comments I've seen.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Went in blind to savage, got 1 and 2 down tonight (2.5 hours).

Looking forward to Thursday for trying out 3.

2 savage is SO much better of a fight than the normal mode.

Pancho

Qurupancho
People complaining about savage being cleared too fast when its gonna take the rest of us plebs weeks to clear all the floors

Considering giving this game a try to fill the FF void after I get through FFXII + post game stuff. Got a few questions for you folks if you don't mind answering.

1) What's the best class to solo the story experience with? I'm a veteran WoW raider and don't mind grouping up so some endgame and group viability wouldn't be bad, but I plan on approaching it as a single player game initially.

IMO, out of what's initially available, I'd say Conjurer (which eventually becomes White Mage) is the most flexible in terms of solo capability and group capability. Red Mage becomes available once you hit lv50 with any other class and it is a lot more interesting to play, though you lose a lot of healing capability.

2) I've heard that a Realm Reborn's campaign can be a real drag- is it worth paying to jump to Heavensward or am I going to be pretty disoriented from a class mechanics/basic game mechanics/world perspective?

A Realm Reborn's campaign is largely needed to understand where the story is going when you get into Heavensward. It does have a lot of story filler and really lame quests along the way, but I'd say it's worth just playing it so that the story has a lot more impact going into Heavensward and beyond. In terms of game mechanics, anyone with a long-running intuition of MMOs should be able to adjust to a skip potioned job, I think.

3) I heard there was supposed to be some Ivalice tie in with the latest expansion- do we know when exactly that's happening and what it's going to be like?

Not yet. We know that it'll be a 24-man raid, it's directed by Matsuno in terms of scenario, and that it takes place in Ivalice. We don't know exactly when the patch that includes it is coming out or what the context for being in Ivalice will be, though there are plenty of story/lore mechanics present that could easily make it possible.

Weird thing about O1S at least is it's pretty much the same movement at regular O1, just with ring out and more damage. People just overcorrect for the ice because they're scared of ring outs and end up eating fireballs

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Thank you!

1. There really isn't a best class to do the story with, as every job can handle any of the solo fights, and every job has a role in the dungeon fights. A healer or tank class will greatly decrease the queue time for dungeons.

2. Real Reborn isn't bad. There are some slow parts, but the big slog comes in the story between ARR and HW. HW is good, and SB is very well paced.

3. Return to Ivalice is going to be the 24 man raid. We don't know much about it yet. There will be three tiers, spread out over the life of the SB patches. The first one is not expected to drop until patch 4.1, which probably won't be until September/October.

Disappointing to who? You haven't even played it. What disappointment are you getting from expert players beating it?

I know I haven't played it but I intend to. I understand that it was going to be cleared but I thought Square Enix would make the raids very punishing to get to the super savage fight. It feels like that's true for the last two fights but at the same time I was so hyped about O4s today thinking it wouldn't be cleared cause it's a huge step up in the mechanics department. I'm not an expert player or anything but challenge is what I want for this game. To hear that it was downed like Creator in a short time is a little disappointing to me because the final fight has so much charm put into it. I know we have two other tiers to go and the super savage fight but I dont know if SE learned anything from creator. Raid difficulty should not be downed in a day even by the top players. If they give gear to you in the form of tomestones then that gear should be used to progress the raid. The raid should be skill based but also somewhat a gear check because after all I'm not sure what's the point of introducing new tomes. I know the tomes are for players that cannot beat it in current gear and that the top player skill is better than gear but I would like to see a raid tier not be downed in one day. I'm not saying bring back Gordias... just bring back Savage coil difficulty maybe?

duckroll

I only started playing the game in Feb, I started solely because (a) I heard a lot of good things about the game, (b) Matsuno announced he was writing Return to Ivalice. I finished Stormblood and the first set of Omega raids, so I'll try to help give some perspective as a newbie player.

It depends on what is "best" for you. The most advantageous classes are the tanks. Tanks get a lot of bonuses from daily roulette runs because they're in demand. It also means you will have pretty much zero waiting time when queuing for dungeons, trials, and raids.

In terms of story though, for the Heavensward expansion campaign, playing a Dragoon is probably the most satisfying. Especially if you complete the Dragoon job quest line before Heavensward. Not so sure about Stormblood though, since it was expected that Monks and Ninjas would get the same sort of treatment but there doesn't seem to have been as much positive feedback from those players.

If you are playing this for the story, absolutely do not skip ARR. It can be a drag because in many ways it is a My-First-MMO sort of campaign, which introduces the player to the world, and then has filler padding between major events to extend the play time so people don't run out of things to do too quickly while they were still making content. The story in ARR is essential to building the setting for the game and even though there's a lot to complain about it, I think there was also a lot to appreciate. I loved the little details in the regional quests throughout the campaign that shed light on some not so comfortable things regarding the cultures and the way people lived. There's surprisingly dark stuff for a FF game. Closer to Matsuno's Ivalice in tone in some ways.

Every campaign has a post-campaign 24-man raid that is played with three parties of 8 players each. In ARR it was the Crystal Tower, which was a homage to FF3. In Heavensward they did something slightly different that isn't a direct homage to any particular FF but has some very cool stuff. In Stormblood, the raid will be Ivalice themed. In particular it is implied that it will be FFT themed, at least for the first part of the raid. The raids come in three parts, and the first part of this one is expected to hit in 4.1 which could be due in October. Not anytime soon. Subsequently the next two parts should be many months apart, so the complete raid will not conclude until late next year. Matsuno is writing the scenario for the entire raid - script and all.

Squishy3

I know I haven't played it but I intend to. I understand that it was going to be cleared but I thought Square Enix would make the raids very punishing to get to the super savage fight. It feels like that's true for the last two fights but at the same time I was so hyped about O4s today thinking it wouldn't be cleared cause it's a huge step up in the mechanics department. I'm not an expert player or anything but challenge is what I want for this game. To hear that it was downed like Creator in a short time is a little disappointing to me because the final fight has so much charm put into it. I know we have two other tiers to go and the super savage fight but I dont know if SE learned anything from creator. Raid difficulty should not be downed in a day even by the top players. If they give gear to you in the form of tomestones then that gear should be used to progress the raid. The raid should be skill based but also somewhat a gear check because after all I'm not sure what's the point of introducing new tomes. I know the tomes are for players that cannot beat it in current gear and that the top player skill is better than gear but I would like to see a raid tier not be downed in one day. I'm not saying bring back Gordias... just bring back Savage coil difficulty maybe?
You cannot compare world first prog to average play at all. These people had a small army of crafters ready to throw Grade VI materia at them, 320 crafted gear, etc and are better players than 99.95% of the playerbase, and Yoshi's been on record saying that world-first groups are better than anyone they have testing the game.

They've been at it for what, 17+ hours with almost no breaks? Consider that most casual raid groups raid what, 2-3 hours a night? That's 8 and a half raid nights of a casual group spent on one wing from some of the best players in the game as best geared as they currently can be for the content. They have the resources, the mentality, and the ability that most groups in the game do not have.

The devs' mentality for clearing raids now is that everyone can eventually clear it, and some will always clear it earlier than most. It's a fact of the way things are. It becomes easier week after week, as gear levels increase, but at the same time the fight is a lot of mechanics checks that increased gear levels won't help with if people can't do mechanics, but the better gear each week will make it easier and easier to see those mechanics as DPSing/healing becomes easier.. The fact a lot of mechanics are used from other fights in different combinations probably also attributes to the faster clear time, while for example Brute Justice had loads of new mechanics and also had no checkpoint for the transition, as well as it coming earlier in the fight instead of after you've already been fighting the boss for like 8 minutes.

iammeiam

Two and a half hours in and O1S and O2S down; we get to start Savage now!

Figuring out O2S was fun ("no, we had vuln, somebody fucked something up"), but I'm not sure how well it's going to hold up for six months of resets. 1 Was.... alright but eh.

Shy Fingers

Banned
I'm kinda glad that there are multiple posts of O1S and O2S going down tonight for people. I'm seriously excited for O3S after how fun O2S was.

Also, our group started using "Stack up to get down" in O2S, and I'm pretty sure that's a pop hit waiting to happen

Sol Mori

What do you want SE to do? Gear lock it so it is literally impossible? That is essentially the only other option to prevent raids from being cleared by the best players in the world.

Ozigizo

I'm kinda glad that there are multiple posts of O1S and O2S going down tonight for people. I'm seriously excited for O3S after how fun O2S was.

Also, our group started using "Stack up to get down" in O2S, and I'm pretty sure that's a pop hit waiting to happen

You gotta gotta get up to get down.

Accessibility and retaining subs are going to be a higher priority than developing content that even the highest skilled and best geared statics can't beat given hours of practice.

Squishy3

Accessibility and retaining subs are going to be a higher priority than developing content that even the highest skilled and best geared statics can't beat given hours of practice.
I mean, that's what the Super Savage stuff is going to be for. That's the designer of all the hardest content in the game being given free reign to make a difficulty beyond Savage and Yoshida's on record saying he doesn't want to hear complaints about how hard it is, lol.

Guess Who

Banned
Re: O4S difficulty, I think it's fair to say that just from a mechanics perspective, the fight is as complex as anything else. There is a lot of shit going on that you need to dance around and memorize.

The thing about mechanics-heavy fights is that, unless a mechanic is just incredibly obtuse to the point where it takes ages to even figure out what to do, they get figured out fairly quickly. When you're talking about a world-first class group like Angered or Elysium, once they know how a mechanic works, they quickly get consistent at executing it. The thing that tends to drag out clear times is not mechanical execution, it's incredibly tight number-tuning. That's a big part of why A3S took ages to down, for instance. It was basically impossible with day-one gear to consistently pass the DPS and damage checks. If O4S were exactly the same, except that the DPS checks were so tight you basically had to be i335 to really pull it off, thereby delaying a clear for weeks, would that somehow make it a better fight?

Meciu

Did o1s on 4th pull and o2s on second lockout. Both blind. Progressing o3s but static has a one day break. So far so good. The best is yet to come.

Top Bottom