• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

aceface

I think the O1S difficulty is good if they have the mindset of gradually ramping up the difficulty through the tiers this time around. If they are doing something like a raiding reset after all the battle changes and with a lot of new players entering the raiding scene that's fine. It reminds me of first coil, T1- that was kind of a "how to tank two things and split your dps" tutorial and O1S is a "how to recognize tells and avoid aoes" tutorial. If they gradually ramp up the difficulty through the tiers that would be great- not having O5 being harder than O4, but having O5 be a step up from O1 in difficulty and so on.

Of course the Gordias--> Midas-->Creator difficulty lurches don't give me any hope that they know what the heck they are doing when it comes to raiding difficulty but I can hope!

studyguy

I really hope we get to run today, blast out O2 and do O3, I hear it's really fun.
Our static schedule sounds like we might only get to run Mon/Tues though this time which is like painful.

Also are we calling it V or O?
I don't care either way, my team has one dude driven to call it O with a fervor.

zelhawks37

I think I am on 2.4 content and man things are picking up quickly with the new
Crystal Braves and this person who is known as Ivy
. I actually enjoyed the Ramuh and Leviathan segments too, but yeah this game is really amping it up!

Ive also noticed that the characters are a lot more lively than the entire 2.0 campaign. It might just be me though. :)

studyguy

. I actually enjoyed the Ramuh and Leviathan segments too, but yeah this game is really amping it up!

Ive also noticed that the characters are a lot more lively than the entire 2.0 campaign. It might just be me though.
:)

Later characters really get fleshed out compared to ARR launch. Yeah everyone is still really stiff for most of ARR.

I really hope we get to run today, blast out O2 and do O3, I hear it's really fun.
Our static schedule sounds like we might only get to run Mon/Tues though this time which is like painful.

I don't care either way, my team has one dude driven to call it O with a fervor.
v because v sounds cooler and I don't have to bother capitalizing it

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Ive also noticed that the characters are a lot more lively than the entire 2.0 campaign. It might just be me though. :)

You are getting to the best parts of 2.0.

iammeiam

I'm calling it O and will lead the holy wars in its honor if need be.

IN OTHER NEWS reading a Reddit O2S discussion, we were doing an O2S mechanic super super wrong but because the fight is so undertuned it wasn't killing us.

Specifically this strategy:
So to do this - you have all players stack in the middle, they have to be in the middle for those big glowing AOEs that go out. Your 4 players with the purple debuff hit Levitate and then stand on a side of the stack so they will each be knocked away in a different direction, we simply used our positions from Maniacal probe.

We didn't try floating there so assumed it was a preposition thing and just mitigated/shielded through only having half the people in the stack... and were surviving taking literally double damage every time.

Like, we were doing it super wrong and didn't even realize because we just assumed "oh hey this is some Savage-level damage". But no.

not a lot of the new stuff selling on ultros

I think this is because there are some drawbacks:
- until the gear came out, the only thing to do if you were end-gamey was dungeons, ex primals and omega story, so you'll already have a lot of 320 gear and a full set of 310 below that if you care about gear
- if you're hardcore, you'll have people crafting for you (or do it yourself) rather than buying stuff off the MB
- tank accessories come with a bit of strength and can have strength melds by default, so crafted accessories for them aren't necessary like they were long ago unless you really want to overmeld secondary stats, which is going to be seriously expensive and frustrating if you want a meaningful amount
- getting a few 320s early doesn't really matter much unless you're trying to get as far as you can from launch day (in which case you're probably hardcore, see point above)

As far as the marketboard right now is concerned, I think the niches are:
- people who don't want to do omega story and have millions to spare
- people who want to raid with a small gear headstart and have millions to spare
- obsessive minmaxers who have millions to spare
- people who want to gear alts without spending tomestones or omega tokens and have millions to spare
- people who had to change their raiding job at the last minute and have millions to spare
- people who just have millions to spare

Off the marketboard, I see a lot of people making their own gear or commissioning it from people they know (or even getting it for free), which I think is the most sensible way to do it as the mark-ups on the Ultros marketboard are astronomical right now. The barrier to entry to crafting the items is actually very low, and HQing the items is not difficult, though it can be time-consuming if you don't have ridiculous melds on your crafting gear. There is also a low barrier to entry on getting the materials needed and crafting them, though there are a few time restrictions.

That's just my analysis anyway, when it comes to crafting I just like to throw gil into the void and see how much comes back

atmuh

I think this is because there are some drawbacks:
- until the gear came out, the only thing to do if you were end-gamey was dungeons, ex primals and omega story, so you'll already have a lot of 320 gear and a full set of 310 below that if you care about gear
- if you're hardcore, you'll have people crafting for you (or do it yourself) rather than buying stuff off the MB
- tank accessories come with a bit of strength and can have strength melds by default, so crafted accessories for them aren't necessary like they were long ago unless you really want to overmeld secondary stats, which is going to be seriously expensive and frustrating if you want a meaningful amount
- getting a few 320s early doesn't really matter much unless you're trying to get as far as you can from launch day (in which case you're probably hardcore, see point above)

As far as the marketboard right now is concerned, I think the niches are:
- people who don't want to do omega story and have millions to spare
- people who want to raid with a small gear headstart and have millions to spare
- obsessive minmaxers who have millions to spare
- people who want to gear alts without spending tomestones or omega tokens and have millions to spare
- people who had to change their raiding job at the last minute and have millions to spare
- people who just have millions to spare

Off the marketboard, I see a lot of people making their own gear or commissioning it from people they know (or even getting it for free), which I think is the most sensible way to do it as the mark-ups on the Ultros marketboard are astronomical right now. The barrier to entry to crafting the items is actually very low, and HQing the items is not difficult, though it can be time-consuming if you don't have ridiculous melds on your crafting gear. There is also a low barrier to entry on getting the materials needed and crafting them, though there are a few time restrictions.

That's just my analysis anyway, when it comes to crafting I just like to throw gil into the void and see how much comes back
yeah it's annoying that it's so easy as things get flooded rather easily. I had enough materia stockpiled from red scrips to be able to overmeld without buying much extra and I have enough mats to probably make 5-10 full gearsets but no one really to sell them to

iammeiam

Not sure if it's market differences between servers or if this works for Ultros too, but I've had a consistently easier time selling some of the crafted mats used in gear than the gear itself.

Like, Reisui is still selling ok although for a fraction of what it was yesterday. But still 300k per on an item that's like 30-50k of mats for 3? not bad. Also Palladium nuggets sold like crazy, but the ingots themselves didn't move much which was weird.

Infusions look to be a steady money maker at least.

I basically got to fill in all my 310 slots with crafted 320, chuck hilarious money at pointless over melding, and still come out a couple million ahead. Patch day crafting is the best.

scy

O2S was also fairly fun, at least compared to O2N anyway. I may dip into seeing what end of the week PFs are like for page clears out of curiosity. And since we start raid nights like 10 PM my time so I can get some disaster PFs in my system ahead of time. Crushing disappointment is the best mindset.

O, so then we have "V" isn't "Version" but is for "FFV" and we get a Phantom Train for next tier's VI.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the gear is also less desirable for glamour purposes (huge market) because they're recolours, the default colours aren't nice in many cases outside of the tank set, and they don't dye nicely.

The weapons are new as far as I can tell and some are really beautiful, so I think a few of those might sell when prices come down. The BLM weapon Palladium Staff is probably the best of these in my eyes because it has more desirable stats than the Susano weapon and looks really nice too, but I don't think people are going to drop a few million on a sidegrade.

yeah it's annoying that it's so easy as things get flooded rather easily. I had enough materia stockpiled from red scrips to be able to overmeld without buying much extra and I have enough mats to probably make 5-10 full gearsets but no one really to sell them to

In that case I'd wait for the initial wave to crash and sell it an accessible price later on as catch-up gear.

atmuh

Not sure if it's market differences between servers or if this works for Ultros too, but I've had a consistently easier time selling some of the crafted mats used in gear than the gear itself.

Like, Reisui is still selling ok although for a fraction of what it was yesterday. But still 300k per on an item that's like 30-50k of mats for 3? not bad. Also Palladium nuggets sold like crazy, but the ingots themselves didn't move much which was weird.

Infusions look to be a steady money maker at least.

I basically got to fill in all my 310 slots with crafted 320, chuck hilarious money at pointless over melding, and still come out a couple million ahead. Patch day crafting is the best.
I had some resui up at 100k and weren't selling

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
looking at the recorded list of clears for this, and no Ultros. Surely someone on the servers gotten to OS3 or OS4

iammeiam

I had some resui up at 100k and weren't selling

That's pretty rough. Maybe hold out hope for a resurgence in purchases as more people hit O4S, since VIT melds on the right and pentamelding for stats may be a thing?

But, yeah, that'd be a downer. I'll just be glad ALC isn't a priority for most people on Levi, I guess.

Shy Fingers

Banned
"Stack up to get down" is almost as good of a hit as the snowcloak theme, shy :3

I will kill you. That's a bad song and you should feel bad.

IN OTHER NEWS reading a Reddit O2S discussion, we were doing an O2S mechanic super super wrong but because the fight is so undertuned it wasn't killing us.

So to do this - you have all players stack in the middle, they have to be in the middle for those big glowing AOEs that go out. Your 4 players with the purple debuff hit Levitate and then stand on a side of the stack so they will each be knocked away in a different direction, we simply used our positions from Maniacal probe.

We didn't try floating there so assumed it was a preposition thing and just mitigated/shielded through only having half the people in the stack... and were surviving taking literally double damage every time.

Like, we were doing it super wrong and didn't even realize because we just assumed "oh hey this is some Savage-level damage". But no.

I knew we were doing it wrong, but we did the same exact thing, but it worked. Will have to try the method in the spoiler next week.

Arkeband

Banned
Previous raids in XIV were as you describe here, reaching the boss after a fighting a path through trash enemies or mid-bosses. Omega seems to have been designed as trials because of story reasons. Or vice versa.

They were still segmented, WoW has giant raid instances similar to the FFXIV 24 man raids (except less linear).

studyguy

I'm calling it O and will lead the holy wars in its honor if need be.

Wait is this the one where the AoE's are moving?

Qvoth

cleared v1s!
AU7Amsc.gif

literally my 1st pf i joined, took us almost 1 full lockout

Crosseyes

Banned
I think the devs have to be really happy with the content they've delivered with these first impressions.

With the exception of O1S seeming to be a little bit more friendly for brand new raiders (a really good decision with all the newcomers to the scene in Stormblood) it seems to be pretty close to the Creator difficulty promised with Neo-Exdeath being another level.

That first clear on him seems to be a bigger testament to that static's ability more than anything. It looks insane.

Then super savage could be that perfect icing on the cake for the crazy type of people who loved A3S. Super optimistic for the whole tier! It begins for my static tonight.

iammeiam

It seems a little early to credit O4S with being on another difficulty level than Creator given that he went down so fast and the rumblings from at least one guy in the clear group is that 4S will follow 12S in having difficulty decline rapidly with gear.

It might be harder? ButI think we need at least a month to see how things play out over the population as a whole.

Wait is this the one where the AoE's are moving?

I'm spoilering this in case anybody wants to go in blind, but it's literally just mechanics discussion:
It's the one right after the second or third 'stand in the center' antilight where you get the stack marker on a DPS, and purple debuffs on the tanks and healers. We figured out the purple marks were basically Defamation, so we had the DPS stay mid while the tanks and healers spread out to our tentacle drop spots.

It happens again later with the stack and debuff markers reversed, but the first time is DPS stack, tank/healer spread.

The stack hits like a truck with four people, but wasn't fatal as long as we shielded and didn't have "you done fucked up" vulnerability. I guess what we were supposed to do was have the debuff people pop floating and get knocked to defamation spots so we could eight-stack and everyone would take trivial damage.

Aeana

Yet it somehow goes down faster than creator which is odd.

For one group.

I don't get why people are acting like they beat something and are disappointed with it just because one group in the world finished it.

There are hard games out there that only a handful of people in the world have ever beaten. The fact that people have beaten them doesn't make them less hard. That's not a logical position.

For one group.

I don't get why people are acting like they beat something and are disappointed with it just because one group in the world finished it.

There are hard games out there that only a handful of people in the world have ever beaten. The fact that people have beaten them doesn't make them less hard. That's not a logical position.

I'm incredibly impressed with the fight but I didn't think it would go down this early in the tier at all. As said on last page... Yoshida had a lot to say about how difficult the fight was and that the savage version was going to be very difficult and a requirement to enter super savage 4.1. I need to see Yoshida's comments to really gauge what happened because maybe Angered are beyond the skill level of even Japanese players or maybe the fight is creator esque level and we dont know that yet. Also... O4S has a checkpoint so that could play a big role in world first as well.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Maybe Yoshi-P should bring back gear checks and release comparable melded equipment recipes later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

West coast now get near Japanese level ping times. I can't tell you the amount of missed hours during coil progress were caused simply by dc'ing and lag. Shout out to my raiding peeps that had to deal with bad connections.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The American team beat the Japanese team for 2nd place on O3S by 5 minutes yesterday, but lost 2nd place to them today by 1 minute. Tight windows.

So 3 teams have won so far.

clear list

For one group.

People living vicariously through raiders?

I think this might be the first time I've seen this phenomenon in a game.

Usually when I see people say things are easy in a game they have already played it.

But here there's people saying something is easy when they probably won't see it for a long time.

Difficult bosses in other games singleplayer or otherwise don't take weeks to beat even for the best players so why should FFXIV be some sort of exception?

Day 2 and 3 (of the best) teams across the three regions have cleared it already? Shut it down. Yoshi-P is a hack, should be supplanted and this game is for brain dead babies.

iammeiam

Maybe Yoshi-P should bring back gear checks and release comparable melded equipment recipes later ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they should tune fights so that going in day one at relatively low gearing and completely and repeatedly botching a mechanic kills you instead of does nothing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (yes, this is 2, not 4, but it's relevant because not having to learn the mechanics in early fights speeds up steamrolling them)

Difficulty is a curve, not a bunch of cliffs with no in-between. Not wanting fights like O2S isn't a call to return to Gordias, and pointing out that the Eurogroup that kills A12S first killed O4S in noticeably less time doesn't super line up with Yoshida's repeated assertions of its difficulty (see also: Zurvan) isn't a call for infinite suffering. 4S also seems to derive a decent chunk of its difficulty from the current low def/mdef/HP levels early clear groups are going at it with, which means by the time most of the rest of us get there the fight is literally going to be easier because we'll be better geared.

I don't get the desire to marginalize any discussion of relative raid difficulty and expressions of concern over the discrepancy between what we were told and what ended up happening.

I mean, this is the dev team that nerfed a ninja skill potency because they didn't expect players to push all their buttons in their opener. Discussion of whether or not they're missing the mark elsewhere isn't out-of-line, and neither side gets to declare victory for a while yet.

I don't get the desire to marginalize any discussion of relative raid difficulty and expressions of concern over the discrepancy between what we were told and what ended up happening.
I think that's the nature of trying to compare something hard to something else hard.

It isn't isn't easy to hold someone to task when they say something like "Sophia Extreme will be harder than Titan Extreme". Because on a base level "wtf does that even mean!?"

Maybe based on their data 'fights with this, this , that and the other in them are cleared less often than fights with 'x,y, z and a in them' thus this fight will be harder to complete.

Then of course you hit that place where raiders cry LOUDLY when they deal with waterman difficulty as Yoshi has attested but then at the same time they want to make content that casuals may beat one day too because that is the main audience. There's not a lot of point in making content catered to the top .01% at the end of the day. Also those top raiders beating something in less than a day says almost nothing about how long the rest of the community may take to beat it, if ever.

I totally get your argument. You want content you can bloody your face against that takes days, weeks maybe even months for bleeding edge top raiders to beat. Hopefully super savage will end up being nigh unbeatable even with echo for you and I don't mean that sarcastically.

Wilsongt

Maybe Yoshi-P should bring back gear checks and release comparable melded equipment recipes later ¯_(ツ)_/¯

West coast now get near Japanese level ping times. I can't tell you the amount of missed hours during coil progress were caused simply by dc'ing and lag. Shout out to my raiding peeps that had to deal with bad connections.

Unless Jigglybutts is in the raid, it's not a real raid and thus ez mode

aceface

I'm incredibly impressed with the fight but I didn't think it would go down this early in the tier at all. As said on last page... Yoshida had a lot to say about how difficult the fight was and that the savage version was going to be very difficult and a requirement to enter super savage 4.1. I need to see Yoshida's comments to really gauge what happened because maybe Angered are beyond the skill level of even Japanese players or maybe the fight is creator esque level and we dont know that yet. Also... O4S has a checkpoint so that could play a big role in world first as well.

I recall him saying it was going to be a bit harder than Creator, a bit harder than Creator =/= very difficult.

Jayhawk

I wonder why the JP team that cleared is named Owen. There was a JP tank back in the prime days of FFXI end-game on my server named Owen in full Koenigs set before others. Hmm.

Edzi

These raid difficulty discussions are really weird to me. Not only are people getting invested in content they aren't playing themselves, but they seem to want that content to be geared towards a tiny tiny minority of players they're not even a part of. What's the point of that if you're never actually going to play it yourself?

Super savage should just insta kill you the moment you do a mechanic wrong and place a debuff on your body that prevents rezzing and punishes the healers for trying to rezz you.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
These raid difficulty discussions are really weird to me. Not only are people getting invested in content they aren't playing themselves, but they seem to want that content to be geared towards a tiny tiny minority of players they're not even a part of. What's the point of that if you're never actually going to play it yourself?

A few of the people discussing it here will be doing it though (some are even on O3S now).

Wilsongt

So that they can justify hating on the game because it caters to filthy casuals while they still sit and play the game neigh on daily?

Also so they can complain about no content because all of the content was easy and clearable in a week?

FFXIV and YoshiP get a lot of hate, yet people still play it.

I wonder if the same happened with WoW and FFXI.

Robin64

Holy crap, Timeworn Gazelleskin Map are selling for 300,000g a pop, and the history shows them selling one about every 3 minutes.

brb smacking some trees

I didn't know Angered were from Ragnarok (I came back to the game a couple months ago and changed to Ragnarok from Sargatanas)

I guess that explains the "98% on fflogs" and similar elitism I see.

I wonder if the same happened with WoW and FFXI.

I always had a love-hate relationship with FFXI.

But in that case all the hate was deserved.

Top Bottom