• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Rewind

So I'm pretty new to the game and I want to make a Dark Knight in the long run as a main job. Are they viable to tank? How long does it take to reach max level? Any guides I should look for?

All the tanks are viable but only 2 can be brought to an 8 man raid. Usually a meta composition is determined and always 1 of the three tanks is left out. No one knows what the meta will be but really all the content should be doable with a bunch of different combinations.

So as a main White Mage character since 1.0, what should I be excited about? Is Cleric stance dancing no longer a thing? That makes me really happy as I would get so irritated if I accidentally hit it and my heal was weaker until the cooldown was up again to turn it off. Anything else I should be happy about? I didn't raid a lot in Heavensward (but did in ARR), but I heard WHM wasn't a good healer for it. Did that change?

The Blackest Night will save DRK! You'll see!

All jokes aside, The Blackest Night looks really good? 20% hp absorb shield on a 15secs cd that also gives you Blood thingies to fuel other abilities, seems really nice to have. Can use on other people to do pseudo paladin support stuff too.

iammeiam

The math for Thunder IV is kind of interesting and I do wonder how it will play out.
So as a main White Mage character since 1.0, what should I be excited about? Is Cleric stance dancing no longer a thing? That makes me really happy as I would get so irritated if I accidentally hit it and my heal was weaker until the cooldown was up again to turn it off. Anything else I should be happy about? I didn't raid a lot in Heavensward (but did in ARR), but I heard WHM wasn't a good healer for it. Did that change?

The lack of cleric stance is good, and you can safely get hype for Thin Air, which lets you cast whatever you want for 12 seconds every two minutes with 0 MP cost. There's a bunch of RNG extra stuff that might kind of be fun? And WHM is positioned to be hands-down the best healer for AOE damage in dungeons.

WHM is perfectly capable of 'raw healing' in anything, including raids. The current controversy is that essentially WHM's extra healing boost isn't a big advantage in raids, since they're designed so that you can clear them without a WHM, but WHM also doesn't have any other real neat new thing or utility skill it can do, so it's in a bad spot overall.

You'll be able to heal anything, but the other healer jobs who heal for less might be just as capable of that while also being able to do other things WHM can't do, like boost the party's damage. WHM's two new systems are also kind of super RNG, and the entire Lily system kind of plays itself without you doing much, so they're disappointing.

WHM's spot is weird, in that there are a bunch of super valid complaints people have, and some reasons why it's not going to be the most desired healer in raids, but for the most for a lot of players it totally doesn't matter. Like, the side upset about the changes completely has a point, but there's nothing wrong that should stop you from WHM if that's what you want to do. It's just that in a raid setting, if you're trying to join a group for raid, their wishlist for healers is likely to be AST>>>SCH>WHM.

ebil

I like how they randomly nerfed Souleater's healing from 100% to 10% of its damage. It's honestly not looking great for DRK at the moment, which makes me sad because I loved playing it.

WHM always was a good healer, it's just that the last set of raids sucked at giving you stuff to actually heal, which made WHM's healing completely overkill compared to what AST had to offer.

Cleric Stance as we knew it doesn't exist anymore, damage scales off MND now. WHMs have ridiculous AOE (compared to almost every job), lots of healing oGCDs and great MP economy to look forward to. I don't think a lot of people realize how big a deal is Assize's baseline CD being reduced to 60 seconds along with Cleric Stance not being a thing anymore.

BLCKATK

So I'm pretty new to the game and I want to make a Dark Knight in the long run as a main job. Are they viable to tank? How long does it take to reach max level? Any guides I should look for?

Play whichever job seems the most interesting to you!

if you go through the story you could reach max level in about 2 weeks if you really played a lot. I've got no idea how long it'd take with the new additions from Stormblood. I haven't leveled a new character in sometime so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this question.

This OT has plenty of resources for learning how to play the game, so check it out! It's well made!

duckroll

I wonder why that list has the old selene skills though. There is no way she has all that and the buffed fey wind

Hosanna was explaining to me yesterday that all the old tool tips still have to be referenced because characters could still have the old skills equipped on their hotbars, so they have to be shown, but greyed out if they have been removed from the game.

The lack of cleric stance is good, and you can safely get hype for Thin Air, which lets you cast whatever you want for 12 seconds every two minutes with 0 MP cost. There's a bunch of RNG extra stuff that might kind of be fun? And WHM is positioned to be hands-down the best healer for AOE damage in dungeons.

WHM is perfectly capable of 'raw healing' in anything, including raids. The current controversy is that essentially WHM's extra healing boost isn't a big advantage in raids, since they're designed so that you can clear them without a WHM, but WHM also doesn't have any other real neat new thing or utility skill it can do, so it's in a bad spot overall.

You'll be able to heal anything, but the other healer jobs who heal for less might be just as capable of that while also being able to do other things WHM can't do, like boost the party's damage. WHM's two new systems are also kind of super RNG, and the entire Lily system kind of plays itself without you doing much, so they're disappointing.

WHM's spot is weird, in that there are a bunch of super valid complaints people have, and some reasons why it's not going to be the most desired healer in raids, but for the most for a lot of players it totally doesn't matter. Like, the side upset about the changes completely has a point, but there's nothing wrong that should stop you from WHM if that's what you want to do. It's just that in a raid setting, if you're trying to join a group for raid, their wishlist for healers is likely to be AST>>>SCH>WHM.

Thanks for the reply although it kinda bums me out that White Mage went from being useful in ARR (since there were only 2 healers anyways lol) to the least preferred healer option of the three. :( I doubt I will be a big raider in Stormsblood anyway, but it still kind of sucks to hear. WHM is my only 60 from Heavensward too actually. I assume AST is the "best" because it also provides nice buffs for the party and WHM doesn't? I just don't know if I should level WHM to 70 or focus on getting AST or SCH now since healing is definitely my preferred job/class. My AST is still 30 though (haven't touched it since locking it).

WHM always was good healer, it's just that the last set of raids sucked at giving you stuff to actually heal, which made WHM's healing completely overkill compared to what AST had to offer.

Cleric Stance as we knew it doesn't exist anymore, damage scales off MND now. WHMs have ridiculous AOE (compared to almost every job), lots of healing oGCDs and great MP economy to look forward to. I don't think a lot of people realize how big a deal is Assize's CD being reduced to 60 seconds.

I guess I can see why WHM would be less sought after than the other healers if there wasn't a lot of healing required. WHM still has the most healing throughput, but it just isn't needed basically?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hosanna was explaining to me yesterday that all the old tool tips still have to be referenced because characters could still have the old skills equipped on their hotbars, so they have to be shown, but greyed out if they have been removed from the game.

Ah that explains a lot. Those are from 2.0 so it was weird to see them xD
Would have been hilariously op to have them and the new one

iammeiam

Thanks for the reply although it kinda bums me out that White Mage went from being useful in ARR (since there were only 2 healers anyways lol) to the least preferred healer option of the three. :( I doubt I will be a big raider in Stormsblood anyway, but it still kind of sucks to hear. WHM is my only 60 from Heavensward too actually. I assume AST is the "best" because it also provides nice buffs for the party and WHM doesn't? I just don't know if I should level WHM to 70 or focus on getting AST or SCH now since healing is definitely my preferred job/class. My AST is still 30 though (haven't touched it since locking it).

I honestly don't think you should be too disappointed until you try it out? Like, if you don't do a lot of Savage raiding, this doesn't touch you much. If you mostly do dungeons, or Palace of the Dead, or PVP, WHM is in a good place. I expect people to start actively wanting White Mages in their roulettes after a while, because they're so much better suited for that it's not funny.

AST is in a good spot because they got a lot of buffs and Balance is stupidly overpowered. SCH is in a pretty good spot because they still have the fairy and they have a new thing to boost party crits on a mob, but they're a little worse at AOE than they were. WHM is very, very good at one thing, but that one thing is also the only thing it does. And when the other two healers can make everyone look better with damage boosts, WHM stops being the 'instant in' it used to be.

Like, my raid group has a WHM. I'm pretty vocally disappointed in the big WHM mechanics in SB, but it's never been an issue where we'd ask him to not WHM because we'll still be able to kill stuff and there's no reason to think he's going to be a drawback there. WHM deserves to be treated better than it was, but absolute worst-case it's still Heavensward White Mage with more Assizes and more MP, and HW WHM could still heal things. It's just less flashy and attention-getting, and the expansion would have been an awesome time for them to change that.

kaze343

I like how they randomly nerfed Souleater's healing from 100% to 10% of its damage. It's honestly not looking great for DRK at the moment, which makes me sad because I loved playing it.

WHM always was a good healer, it's just that the last set of raids sucked at giving you stuff to actually heal, which made WHM's healing completely overkill compared to what AST had to offer.

Cleric Stance as we knew it doesn't exist anymore, damage scales off MND now. WHMs have ridiculous AOE (compared to almost every job), lots of healing oGCDs and great MP economy to look forward to. I don't think a lot of people realize how big a deal is Assize's baseline CD being reduced to 60 seconds along with Cleric Stance not being a thing anymore.
its not just in aoe situations, single target, whm does the most with the things we know. AFAIK whm dots havent been nerfed, assize being shorter, and stone 4 being 250 pot( 20 and 30 higher than the other two healers), its a ton of dmg they can do.

Qvoth

Wait, Thunder II's tooltip has it as strictly better than Thunder IV.

I guess we can't really rely on the English tooltips this time either.

Edit: Oh I see, Thunder II 's tooltip does not have it as aoe.

good point, t2 is also an aoe now, wonder why it's not mentioned

ebil

I guess I can see why WHM would be less sought after than the other healers if there wasn't a lot of healing required. WHM still has the most healing throughput, but it just isn't needed basically?
Yeah, that was the situation as of patch 3.4. WHM wasn't terrible, it just didn't offer anything in particular that made it desirable compared to AOE Balance.

Who knows what's going to happen with 4.0 raids though? WHM is still in a much better spot than 3.0 AST for sure right now.

its not just in aoe situations, single target, whm does the most with the things we know. AFAIK whm dots havent been nerfed, assize being shorter, and stone 4 being 250 pot( 20 and 30 higher than the other two healers), its a ton of dmg they can do.
That's completely fair, but this was always the case. With AoE being gutted across the board, WHM naturally stands out more than ever in that respect.

I honestly don't think you should be too disappointed until you try it out? Like, if you don't do a lot of Savage raiding, this doesn't touch you much. If you mostly do dungeons, or Palace of the Dead, or PVP, WHM is in a good place. I expect people to start actively wanting White Mages in their roulettes after a while, because they're so much better suited for that it's not funny.

AST is in a good spot because they got a lot of buffs and Balance is stupidly overpowered. SCH is in a pretty good spot because they still have the fairy and they have a new thing to boost party crits on a mob, but they're a little worse at AOE than they were. WHM is very, very good at one thing, but that one thing is also the only thing it does. And when the other two healers can make everyone look better with damage boosts, WHM stops being the 'instant in' it used to be.

Like, my raid group has a WHM. I'm pretty vocally disappointed in the big WHM mechanics in SB, but it's never been an issue where we'd ask him to not WHM because we'll still be able to kill stuff and there's no reason to think he's going to be a drawback there. WHM deserves to be treated better than it was, but absolute worst-case it's still Heavensward White Mage with more Assizes and more MP, and HW WHM could still heal things. It's just less flashy and attention-getting, and the expansion would have been an awesome time for them to change that.

I'll definitely give White Mage a try during Stormblood before switching to anything else if not just bc I've put the most time into playing as that class and learning it. I am a little disappointed they didn't change more about White Mage for the expansion. I'll most likely just be focused on completing the main story of Stormblood and slowly gearing up via regular dungeons anyways at first. I can always level up AST or SCH after I beat the main story of Stormblood. Part of the reason why I have preferred to level through the expansions as White Mage is because it's so damn boring to level as without the extra exp from the main story quests lol.

Regarding WHM AOE compared to other healers, I guess that means they might be one of the better healers for regular 4 mans, but raids not so much?

Clipse

2dGRg.gif

I knew that they nerfed the heal on DA+Abyssal Drain, but not Souleater. Yeah, I think I'm leveling PLD or AST first now.

I'm torn between staying a Monk, abusing dps queues by going Dark Knight or just relive my Red Mage boner (I actually forgot I changed my gaf avatar to RDM when it got announced).

I mean that is if Amazon UK send me my code in the next 7 hours. Honestly if I wake up tomorrow and don't have it I'm just gonna buy it on PSN.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm watching 4.0 job change videos and overall I'm really liking what I'm seeing. The streamlining of Ninja abilities looks great, and the new machinist situation does not seem as convoluted as I initially thought.

ebil

I knew that they nerfed the heal on DA+Abyssal Drain, but not Souleater. Yeah, I think I'm leveling PLD or AST first now.
To be fair, that might be a typo? Hopefully it's a typo. It's still 100% for PvP Souleater.

DRK seems to have been rebalanced around TBN but I don't know, it's looking like they changed and removed a lot of stuff with very little care. Most of all I'm concerned about the new playstyle which is looking dull at a glance, but that's not something that you can easily judge from tooltips.

KanameYuuki

Decided to watch all the episodes from that series just to pass some time while waiting and good lord, I, like everybody else knew the game was a complete fail but after watching it and getting to know the whole picture, I can't believe how that abomination was able to transform into one of my favorite games of all time, 1.X was a complete and irredeemable mess but as soon as Yoshi-P got in charge it was a whole new world, the guy is seriously talented.

1.X looked great graphically tho, I don't know why but it looks so much prettier than ARR.

Boof

I'm a DRK main but what they have done to the uniqueness of the class is very demoralizing. I wanted to lvl it first as my main, but looks like I'll be switching to AST. A lot of tanks I know are gonna either play PLD now or just switch to another role entirely. I think its gonna be a sad day for DRK and WAR.

Bowlie

Banned
I think Noclip's first video about FFXIV 1.0 is supposed to go out tomorrow or the day after; Danny O'Dwyer said the date yesterday but I already forgot.

Zomba13

Really!?

They weren't happy with just not adding new tanks, they had to find even more ways to fuck up DRK?

Plus the Blackest Night gauge boost only procs if the bubble pops, so that likely isn't going to happen during any normal play.

Zidy

Just watched a few class videos. Kind of sucks because my mains were DRK and WAR. May have to put them on the backburner and may start SB with leveling SAM RDM, or SMN. I'm actually pretty tempted to main SMN because their changes look dope and I periodically will mess around with Arcanist because I like pet classes.

Ken

To be fair, that might be a typo? Hopefully it's a typo. It's still 100% for PvP Souleater.

DRK seems to have been rebalanced around TBN but I don't know, it's looking like they changed and removed a lot of stuff with very little care. Most of all I'm concerned about the new playstyle which is looking dull at a glance, but that's not something that you can easily judge from tooltips.

The job guide went up.

Grit combo bonus has been changed from "Absorbs 50% of damage dealt as HP" to "Absorbs a portion of damage dealt as HP."

Hmmmmm

Thinking on it, I really like how they decided to nuke one of Warrior's great aspects (stance dancing).

It was pretty smooth before, but since it was too smooth they decided to cut your meter in half to make sure you feel bad whenever you do it.

K.Sabot

got a 52 monk and a 60 SCH

want to level monk to 60 to have canonical WoL storyline, really hope the purposed changes speed up 50-60 leveling.

Top Bottom