• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

yami4ct

RIP Enhanced Blood for Blood.

I'll give the FFXIV team this, in terms of balance changes that seem good for real I love that they're getting rid of cross class DPS boosts in exchange for giving each class its own tailored boost. That seems way more interesting in the long run then every DPS running B4B and Internal Release.

Is the patch be downloaded in the background? Once I log in I get the typical "The game is unavailable for play during maintenance." message.

Once you log into the launcher it should start the patching process. It did for me.

Any instructions for the EA?
I have both ff14 and hw installed already and sb on pre order( only did it like couple hours ago)
Is there a likelihood of missing out on it?
Ps4 btw

Man, even if I wasn't going over to Samurai I would have been in a good spot, they remembered that Ninjas should do damage over being party nannies. They got some nice buffs.

Dark Knight and Monk got savaged though, holy shit.

Zomba13

Post your last picture of your toon! Since we'll have new glamours soon.

My most recent glamour (though I changed the hair a few days ago but want to change it again)

EwzbbJF.png

Still unsure if I stick with DRK or go back to PLD for SB. In my head canon my character went to DRK after a certain bad thing happened in HW so going back to PLD could be him accepting it and moving on.

Kyzer

Banned
As a bard im honestly kinda overwhelmed and confused as to how were supposed to juggle these songs but anythings better than bowmage. Considering taking up this relearning phase as an opportunity to try playing sith the dualshock 4

yami4ct

So, only the level 70 Job quest will give an ability? The rest are just big sidequests? ...If there are even more than just the level 60 and level 70 ones.

They wanted to eliminate the feeling that Job Quests were 'required' quests to play as you go so not tying abilities to each was conscious choice. There will be more than just the level 70 ones.

Maybe they will give sick equipment instead? Hopefully!

Well, they give your artifact equipment at 70 so I kind of don't see what they could give in the mean time but I hope it's not just money and EXP.

Caim

Any instructions for the EA?
I have both ff14 and hw installed already and sb on pre order( only did it like couple hours ago)
Is there a likelihood of missing out on it?
Ps4 btw

Physical or digital?

If digital you can just login and start downloading now and it will also ask you to apply Early Access and Pre-Order items after that you'll be fine.

kaze343

Yeah, but the turrets lose Promotion and so the turrets are basically set-and-forget hyper charge machines with a self-destruct button. Bard lost the regen things from songs, but the songs got new purposes.

MCH lost the regen things from Promotion, so they just said fuck it and nuked the entire concept.

it seems they moved most of the focus to keeping your gun hot. not bad but it is kinda sad to see the turret made in this.

B.K.

How do loot drops work now? I remember people being upset in the old thread because now everyone apparently gets a guaranteed piece of gear for their job at the end of a party?

ebil

It's been known for a while that you would get most of the new skills by simply leveling. And it makes sense, as they can change and shuffle them around as they see fit in the future with them being independent from quests.

Wait what?
You'll get job specific ilv290 gear from the last job quest, mirroring what 2.0 did.

duckroll

You get a full set of SB artifact gear when you hit 70 with your job. They didn't say how you get it, but it's a safe assumption it's the 70 job quest. I'm not sure how else they'd really fit it in naturally.

You'll get job specific ilv290 gear from the last job quest, mirroring what 2.0 did.

Wait so the lvl70 Job quest for DRG for example, would give a full set of artifact gear, Nastrond, AND Life of the Dragon?

yami4ct

Could give leveling gear.

I sure hope so. Going 'hey just play these for a job story and to get your 70 ability when you get there' would be a really lame turn with the jobs. I honestly didn't think they needed to make the ability unlock change anyway, but at least still give us something.

Wait so the lvl70 Job quest for DRG for example, would give a full set of artifact gear, Nastrond, AND Life of the Dragon?

Should be. They haven't explicitly said that you'll get your artifact gear from the job quest, just you'll get it when you hit 70, but unless they do something really weird that's how it'll go.

Physical or digital?

If digital you can just login and start downloading now and it will also ask you to apply Early Access and Pre-Order items after that you'll be fine.

All digital.
The launcher just updated to 5.0 but i csnt find sb anywhere, the store says not available for purchase when i already bought it.
Oh and for some reason the heavensward 1.7gb file is downloading again

Zomba13

If I was the FFXIV Tank lord, I'd make:
-WAR the one with the most damage but a bit of self heal and medium mitigation
-PLD the one with the best mitigation and medium self (and group) heal but lowest damage
-DRK the one with medium damage, most self heal but lowest mitigation

The idea being that the self healing and mitigation end up balancing out over the fight. This way each one feels different, where DRK is balancing it's MP drain for HP, PLD is blocking stuff and tanking the big hits while also protecting the party with cover and some heals and WAR is wrecking shit and berserking while also tanking shit to the face.

Then again I'm a casual scrub noob who knows nothing and it'd probably end up being horrible. I just like it when the classes feel different even if when it comes down to it they aren't that different. Plus I like more buttons/combos. I don't want DRK to be 2.0 PLD.

I also hated how AF2 was tome gear and how it meant you had to gear a single job at a time instead of being able to share between roles. Getting AF3 for the 70 job quest and then tome gear being the role stuff is great. I do hope we get to get AF3+ though where we can dye it. Glamour is true end game after all, and AF3 would make sick glamour pieces for a bunch of them.

I think pld is gonna be the only tank.

FTFW

I think we might be seeing PLD/PLD and AST/AST raid parties in 4.0 unless they literally force a mandatory LB mechanic in every boss fight like Teraflare to prevent class stacking. The unbalance of tanks and healers is this stark right now just going off datamining going into EA. Let's see how long it takes Squenix to un-fuck tank and healer balance.

R0ckman

I'm generally OK with the NIN changes. Wasn't much, compared to the other classes that is, but overall I think the class will benefit.

Hide: The additional effect "Resets ninjutsu recast timers if out of combat" has been added.

Yeah boy!

Jugulate: Now acquired at level 30 (previously level 34).
The additional effect "Silence" when under the effect of Kiss of the Wasp has been removed.

THink they mean "Stun" here as Silence is now the 1 and only effect this casts. I'm "eh" with this as it's going to require some practice. I stunned, a LOT, with jugulate and now I'll have to find space on my main action bar for leg sweep.

Death Blossom: Action now exclusive to rogue and ninja.
Potency increased from 60 to 110.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaah boy! Get ready to see actual death raining from above instead of the old "throw toothpicks at the enemies and hope for CRITS".

Duality: No longer stops critical damage from occurring.

Awesome.

Dream Within a Dream: Recast time decreased from 90 to 60 seconds.
Potency increased from 100 to 150.

I love everything about those 2 sentences.

And of course removing Dancing Edge and buffing Shadow Fang instead deserves a yeeeeeeaaah boy. And I like the new traits here. Really upping the DPS potential.

Of course, NIN loses Blood 4 Blood and Internal release, they had to do SOMETHING.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If I leave the FFXIV launcher window open, will the "play button" eventually refresh to green when servers come on, or will I have to close and reopen/login to launcher?

yami4ct

If I was the FFXIV Tank lord, I'd make:
-WAR the one with the most damage but a bit of self heal and medium mitigation
-PLD the one with the best mitigation and medium self (and group) heal but lowest damage
-DRK the one with medium damage, most self heal but lowest mitigation

The idea being that the self healing and mitigation end up balancing out over the fight. This way each one feels different, where DRK is balancing it's MP drain for HP, PLD is blocking stuff and tanking the big hits while also protecting the party with cover and some heals and WAR is wrecking shit and berserking while also tanking shit to the face.

Then again I'm a casual scrub noob who knows nothing and it'd probably end up being horrible. I just like it when the classes feel different even if when it comes down to it they aren't that different. Plus I like more buttons/combos. I don't want DRK to be 2.0 PLD.

As a tank newbie, that's sort of what I'd like to see as well. DRK should really be the blood tank. A tank that doesn't necessarily love pulling, but thrives on playing Off-Tank and taking damage. That's how I'd love to see the class rebalanced. It was most of the way there in HW too so hopefully the game pushes it back in that direction after a bit.

FTFW

I think we might be seeing PLD/PLD and AST/AST raid parties in 4.0 unless they literally force a mandatory LB mechanic in every boss fight like Teraflare to prevent class stacking. The unbalance of tanks and healers is this stark right now just going off datamining going into EA. Let's see how long it takes Squenix to un-fuck tank and healer balance.

I think AST/SCH provides enough utility to justify itself over AST/AST but we'll see. I sure hope it ends up that way at least. Managing double AST teams as a healer is a pain.

As for the tanks, I see no reason top raids don't end up PLD/PLD. What do the other tanks provide for top end players at this point? People will continue to play the other two for personal reasons, but objectively there seems to be no reason to. Huge bummer.

K.Sabot

Anyone remember Heavensward's early access? How was it?

I don't. I only remember ARR's horrifying early access, so I'm guessing I had a good time without any issues.

Xux

I sure hope so. Going 'hey just play these for a job story and to get your 70 ability when you get there' would be a really lame turn with the jobs. I honestly didn't think they needed to make the ability unlock change anyway, but at least still give us something.

Should be. They haven't explicitly said that you'll get your artifact gear from the job quest, just you'll get it when you hit 70, but unless they do something really weird that's how it'll go.
Yeah, I was gonna say that that's a pretty light "requirement" to expect people to stop grinding and do an easy quest with a passable story for ten minutes every two levels.

...I'm kinda not even looking forward to Monk's since the 3.0 quests were such a lame trope fest.

Clipse

How do loot drops work now? I remember people being upset in the old thread because now everyone apparently gets a guaranteed piece of gear for their job at the end of a party?
You're guaranteed a piece of loot for the job you're on at the end of a dungeon.

People are seriously upset at this change? I swear there's a GAF Defense Force for everything. There's nothing worse than running an entire dungeon and getting no loot to show for it.

Bowlie

Banned
Oh, and MCH lost Grenado Shot too, leaving us with two AoE of the same type (cone), one of which was nerfed and the other is situational.

Feels like we're being limited to do one thing only.

Sandfox

Anyone remember Heavensward's early access? How was it?

I don't. I only remember ARR's horrifying early access, so I'm guessing I had a good time without any issues.

I remember some struggling to log in initially due to the huge queues. I can't remember if there were errors/timing out.

Qvoth

another minor change blm got
sharpcast duration increased from 10 seconds to 15!
i'm quite certain sharpcast is best used for thundercloud procs now, in both single target and multiple cases

yami4ct

The ability that still confuses me the most from my jobs' skillsets is Sleeve Draw. Like, conceptually I get it I guess. You just fill up all your slots with random stuff, but that seems maybe less that useful except in situations where you just have nothing but crap.

You're guaranteed a piece of loot for the job you're on at the end of a dungeon.

People are seriously upset at this change? I swear there's a GAF Defense Force for everything. There's nothing worse than running an entire dungeon and getting no loot to show for it.

There are people that defend 1.0's combat. There are people unhappy that Geriskogul no longer takes time off of the Blood of the Dragon in 4.0. People get attached to weird things, especially when they can deem them making the game more 'casual'.

KanameYuuki

So, fellow bards: does anyone understand what Enhanced Empyreal Arrow actually does?

It does sounds weird, I would guess that's like a free Troubadour.

So after reading lots of changes, it seems I will drop MNK for real, but I guess I can't be angry, BRD, AST and PLD got some really good changes, Red Mage sounds pretty fun and while SAM looks complicated I'll take it as a replacement for MNK, RIP in peace my beloved class.

yami4ct

Oh, and MCH lost Grenado Shot too, leaving us with two AoE of the same type (cone), one of which was nerfed and the other is situational.

Feels like we're being limited to do one thing only.

Same thing happened with DRG's AOE. We lost Ring of Thorns in exchange for another straight ahead doom spike combo ability. I bet we eat TP even worse on AOE now. Man, I hate doing AOE as a dragoon. It just feels bad.

Guess Who

Banned
It does sounds weird, I would guess that's like a free Troubadour.

The "additional effect" on the actual song tooltips though is the Repertoire effect. I think it's something like, using Empyreal Arrow gives you a Straight Shot-like buff, and if you trigger a song during that buff period you get a free Repertoire stack?

I don't fucking know.

Armaros

Also having weird gear gaps between story dungeons because you didn't get any upgrades. It was especially noticeable with the first half of HW 3.0 dungeons vs the last half.

Zomba13

Is it everyone gets a piece of loot or is it " a piece of loot for one of the jobs in the party"?

I could see people being upset though (either way) if they wanted to get gear for an dps and they would rather queue or play as a tank. Like if you're in a group and you're all just greeding or you've decided if x item drops y player gets it and they change it so now you need that job in the group for it to have a chance to drop then it sucks.

Top Bottom