• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Astral

Nah, you shouldn't be pulling if you're not the tank.

I definitely wouldn't recommend doing that, even if your tank is going slow. Newbie tanks especially need to learn at their own pace how much they can pull. It's frustrating when you're trying to manage aggro and someone else keeps pulling ahead of you - for the healer, too, since they now need to keep an eye on both the tank and the DPS who's pulling. Newbie healers can also struggle to heal tanks who pull big.

Yeah I know lol. I was the healer so that's why I did it. He did fine though. I don't the he noticed I was being a prick either.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All crafting jobs leveled.

vWpd3Vf.gif

Xux

Hopefully the Moonfire event has more substance than "Hey, did you see this island we added to the Costa Del Sols? You can swim in the one zone from preStormblood, too! Remember swimming?"

I know they wanna have this open to as many people as possible but these seem like the lowest budget things. Ishgard and Idyllshire being completely void of this culture these seasonal events bring during the 18 months they were the focus was dumb. Will Kugane have anything referencing this Far East event? Will Doma and the Ala Mhigan Quarter feature the reintroduction of these holidays?

I guess it wouldn't play well with the press sites if full impressions required you to play the game.

Squishy3

You know, I have a question about O3S. So you need about 24,000 raid-wide DPS to beat enrage, right?

Is that against the boss alone or are the various adds throughout the fight being factored into that requirement?

iammeiam

You know, I have a question about O3S. So you need about 24,000 raid-wide DPS to beat enrage, right?

Is that against the boss alone or are the various adds throughout the fight being factored into that requirement?

24k is all-in rDPS. Boss, adds, including the dps contribution from the various LBs (melee LB3 + caster/ranged LB3 + melee LB1 should be a little over 2k-ish DPS, I think), etc.

SkyOdin

Yeah I know lol. I was the healer so that's why I did it. He did fine though. I don't the he noticed I was being a prick either.
If I was that tank I would have hated you with the blazing fury of a thousand suns. Dealing with other people being impatient and trying to rush you along is inherently aggrevating. It is super obvious when someone else starts pulling too.

I wouldn't say that you helped him learn either. It can take one or two runs through a dungeon to learn where all of the mobs are placed and how to pull them efficiently, even for a veteran tank who is confident in their skill. I've been tanking since the open beta, and I still like to take it easy on pulls the first couple of times I run a dungeon, so that I can learn the dungeon's layout and mob placement.

Now, most tanks play jobs other than tank at least some of the time. That newbie will have plenty of opportunities to observe how other tanks do things and learn from those experiences. Once he has built up confidence as a tank, he will naturally start making bigger pulls.

If you really want bigger pulls, just ask in chat. Talking to someone is the best way to negotiate playstyle and teach newbies how to play better.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hopefully the Moonfire event has more substance than "Hey, did you see this island we added to the Costa Del Sols? You can swim in the one zone from preStormblood, too! Remember swimming?"

I know they wanna have this open to as many people as possible but these seem like the lowest budget things. Ishgard and Idyllshire being completely void of this culture these seasonal events bring during the 18 months they were the focus was dumb. Will Kugane have anything referencing this Far East event? Will Doma and the Ala Mhigan Quarter feature the reintroduction of these holidays?

I guess it wouldn't play well with the press sites if full impressions required you to play the game.

They will never have seasonals that occur in expansion areas. They are designed around lvl 15-30 accessibility. It sucks :S

iammeiam

Monday night maintenance is going to happen earlier than normal:

In order to accompany Patch 4.06, we will be performing infrastructure maintenance on all Worlds at the time below, during which FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Aug. 7, 2017 7:00 p.m. to Aug. 8, 2017 3:00 a.m. (PDT)
* Completion time is subject to change.

[Affected Worlds]
All Worlds

* The World Transfer Service will be suspended 30 minutes before maintenance begins, and will be unavailable until maintenance has ended.

* Reservations for Ceremonies of Eternal Bonding cannot be made from the time maintenance ends until Aug. 11, 2017 2:00 a.m. (PDT).

SMN and MCH potency changes should come out of it, but heads up for anyone planning to try to push for a clear of anything Monday night pre-reset.

Squishy3

They will never have seasonals that occur in expansion areas. They are designed around lvl 15-30 accessibility. It sucks :S
Eh, it makes sense. Lets people who just started playing not miss out on the events, there'd probably be a huge uproar since it'd be kind of unreasonable to have events locked behind Stormblood, they'd either have to run them longer or people would feel pressured to buy the skip potions in order to do the events. Hopefully they just don't leave Kugane barren of decorations like they did Ishgard, though.

Edzi

So, I've beaten Susano EX and I guess all that's left is Lakshmi. Am I pretty much done with all non savage content after that? Trying to figure out what I should do now.

Squishy3

So, I've beaten Susano EX and I guess all that's left is Lakshmi. Am I pretty much done with all non savage content after that? Trying to figure out what I should do now.
Pretty much. You can start going back and missing whatever optional content you might've missed (Hildibrand, Postmoogle quests, etc.) since iirc you're a newer player? You might've missed a lot on the way to catching up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I would do Omega normal if you haven't already. Fights are on par with the Susano and Lakshmi fights difficulty wise, and there is more story content from it.

Edzi

I would do Omega normal if you haven't already. Fights are on par with the Susano and Lakshmi fights difficulty wise, and there is more story content from it.

Already cleared Omega normal a while back. Was thinking of trying O1S since I heard it was easy.

Squishy3

Already cleared Omega normal a while back. Was thinking of trying O1S since I heard it was easy.
Yeah, O1S and O2S are fairly easy. I'd say they're about on par difficulty-wise with Susano and Lakshmi EX, if not slightly harder. I'd recommend Graehl's videos if you want a frame of reference. They're really good and don't overstay their welcome, so you don't really run into the problem of forgetting what was at the beginning after you've reached the end.

B.K.

After probably close to three dozen runs through Labyrinth of the Ancients, I'm finally finished. The Warrior of Light finally looks like the Warrior of Light.

p7CISLQ.jpg

I agree that the dungeons are pretty rote.

I like PSO2's idea of having emergency quests which I guess in this game would be emergency trials that randomly open.

The rush to pile into an emergency quest was neat and the bosses were amazing.

Added some variety to break up whatever your routine for the day was.

They should also add in my coliseum idea.

And what's up with Eureka and the new 24 man raid.

Haven't heard anything about either of those in a long time.

Man I'm so lucky with savage drops this week. I wonder if It's worth getting the AST tome weapon next week though.

It's in 2 weeks isn't it? I only have 5 thingies and don't think I missed a week, need 7 I thought?

On the dungeon stuff, one way they could go about it is nerf the aoe across the board by like, a lot, and then design dungeons to have harder stronger single pulls. I doubt it'll happen though, mostly because the dungeons are designed to have easy pulls so really bad players can still clear them easily. Currently if you pull 2 or 3 packs and fail because the healer, tank and/or DPS are terrible, it's ok, you just go back and pull one by one and clear regardless. But if you make the individual pulls as hard as a multiple pull at current difficulty, what happens when your healer only spam the weakest heal and keep interupting himself to move out of aoes or what not, the tank doesn't use cooldowns until he's at 20% health and the DPS are still doing half of their theorical full DPS. You can't just go slow and steady anymore, then you just wipe to a single trash pull. And I mean I don't care about it but the super casual people would probably not like that.

They could still nerf the aoes and reduce the efficiency of aoe pulling though. Make it so you need like 8 targets for aoes to be better. That's pretty extreme and would make the aoes pretty much worthless other than a few key pulls(like the ones with small robot spiders in current dungeons) though... which honestly I think I'd be fine with, most classes aoe "rotation" consists of pressing 2buttons, so if that only happens for pulls specifically designed for it that's ok. Currently aoes tend to be better than single target as early as 3 or 4 targets, which is easily reached by pulling 2groups, and sometimes a single group of mobs. But getting 8mobs together is impossible in many dungeons, and when it stops being faster to aoe, people won't aoe pull anymore(I mean, they will for several months but eventually they won't).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm struggling to understand how you looked at the MMO dungeon design and figured that what they REALLY needed are effective removal of AOE capabilities. Because it won't change anything at all in regards to fun factor of dungeons, you'll just be doing your ST rotation more.

AOE pulls aren't a problem. People being miserably awful at the game is. Tanks hear that pulling wall to wall is beneficial but don't know how to do it. Healers that don't know their cooldowns. AOE abilities are boring but most DF DPS don't even know they have those buttons or why they should press them. Making dungeons last longer because of this? Nope.

Damn, just need one more Ixion kill for the mount and the one instance with a spawn left refused to pop all day. Woke up about 30 minutes ago but decided to be lazy in bed for a little... then when I log on I find out I missed Ixion by 8 minutes. Damn it! The wait continues..

Eldren

Didn't they already nerf the potencies of every class' AOE anyway, like they all have damage falloff now, SMN was absolutely gutted, the TP costs are still high, etc. Plus with the annoying level sync you lose most of your skills when doing lower level dungeons regardless. Not sure that's the best way to do it.

That reminds me, I really really want them to change how the level sync works. It'd be a big change but a huge improvement. Let us keep every skill we have unlocked at whatever level we're at but sync down all of our stats. That way you're not just spamming 2 abilities over and over (DRG in Toto Rak was a waking nightmare.)

Omni

That reminds me, I really really want them to change how the level sync works. It'd be a big change but a huge improvement. Let us keep every skill we have unlocked at whatever level we're at but sync down all of our stats. That way you're not just spamming 2 abilities over and over (DRG in Toto Rak was a waking nightmare.)
Imagine the disparity between a fresh level 30 dps and a level 70 who has his entire combo and every job ability available though. Not sure that's something they want in their levelling dungeons. Reducing potency of abilities isn't gonna change the fact that the level 70 is gonna have faaaaar more hard hitting skills available to them. At least this way a new player can feel like they're contributing as much as the two year veteran while they're both level sync'd. Gear withstanding.

Tanking and healing would be a straight up broken snoozefest too. Imagine having hallowed and all the tank CDs in Qarn or something. Like why, haha

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine the disparity between a fresh level 30 dps and a level 70 who has his entire combo and every job ability available though. Not sure that's something they want in their levelling dungeons. Reducing potency of abilities isn't gonna change the fact that the level 70 is gonna have faaaaar more hard hitting skills available to them. At least this way a new player can feel like they're contributing as much as the two year veteran while they're both level sync'd. Gear withstanding.

Tanking and healing would be a straight up broken snoozefest too. Imagine having hallowed and all the tank CDs in Qarn or something. Like why, haha

On the other hand, dungeons like Totorak are already boring; at least Hallowed means more than 3 buttons to press.

IvorB

So, I resubbed last night after only three days. Yes... I was weak but also can blame intoxication...

6GJWk.gif

Hopefully this "infrastructure maintenance" bodes well for the removal of this stupid instancing.

Zuly

Hopefully this "infrastructure maintenance" bodes well for the removal of this stupid instancing.
Instancing is fine if it was only for The Lochs and you could actually port in with your party. Or I don't know, being able to choose instance slot on TP. Lochs needs instancing bad because as soon as Ixion spawns no one can enter the damn map and that sucks when you are gathering or questing.

I thought after 4.05 SCH was a lot better for dungeons, Exco and the fairy beam let you DPS a lot and Miasma II is great to fit in oGCDs or just for aoe damage and the 45secs aetherflow just makes everything flows better. The DPS rotation is more boring than before since it's a lot of Broil spam but overall the class felt a lot better. I still mostly play WHM though cause Holy and personnal DPS higher so clears stuff faster usually, but I thought SCH was pretty alright after the changes.

iammeiam

Man I'm so lucky with savage drops this week. I wonder if It's worth getting the AST tome weapon next week though.

Kind of depends on how your left side is/how much HP you have, but you'll probably get more out of the DEF/MDEF boost from the tome chest than you will out of the WD boost from the AST weapon in the near term. Plus it's cheaper putting you closer to another buy vs the astrometer.

Astral

So I'm not sure what to do with company seals. Is there anything worth using them on? All I got was the Chocobo barding.

So I'm not sure what to do with company seals. Is there anything worth using them on? All I got was the Chocobo barding.

If you delve into the extracurriculars, you can buy cordials for gathering, exp boosting manuals for DoH/DoL jobs and venture tokens for retainer ventures

scy

SCH to 70 now, all three healers maxed.

...SCH really isn't fun to play anymore. :/

I'm going through leveling SCH for eventual SCH/AST things and if nothing else, SCH is still king of making you feel like you're helping. Sacred Soil! Fey Covenant! Fey Illum shields! DeployAdlo! All of them overkill healed by a single Indom or Whispering Dawn but I'm helping!

I'm at least glad I'm doing the leveling post-Miasma 2, Broil only for large pulls sounds like torture.
plus they randomly made the animation cooler than the old fart cloud

Kind of depends on how your left side is/how much HP you have, but you'll probably get more out of the DEF/MDEF boost from the tome chest than you will out of the WD boost from the AST weapon in the near term. Plus it's cheaper putting you closer to another buy vs the astrometer.

Hmmm but the thing is i'm using the 320 normal chest from exdeath normal shafts to have crit and the pants from tomestone right now. If I buy the chest I will have two spellspeed pieces.

iammeiam

Hmmm but the thing is i'm using the 320 normal chest from exdeath normal shafts to have crit and the pants from tomestone right now. If I buy the chest I will have two spellspeed pieces.

It depends on what you're gearing for? I'd just put survivability pretty high over secondaries for the back half of Savage right now, especially since the final fight is so heavily AOE-heal heavy and on AST getting two crits on an AOE shield instead of just 1 doesn't actually do anything for you in terms of healing saved. Plus if you ever go Diurnal for anything Spellspeed is generally considered really good.

But if you have the pants I don't think the weapon is an option next week anyway? Weapon + pants would be 1825 tomes, 4 weeks of capping 450/week is only 1800--I grabbed the chest and won't be able to get the weapon before week 5 (and I think I'm just going to skip it and spend the tomes on other slots.) So lots of time to decide and see what else drops.

Top Bottom