• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Caim

Is it everyone gets a piece of loot or is it " a piece of loot for one of the jobs in the party"?

I could see people being upset though (either way) if they wanted to get gear for an dps and they would rather queue or play as a tank. Like if you're in a group and you're all just greeding or you've decided if x item drops y player gets it and they change it so now you need that job in the group for it to have a chance to drop then it sucks.

"When completing a level 51 to 59 dungeon or a level 61 to 69 dungeon, players will always receive one piece of gear equippable by their current class or job."

* Players will not receive gear that is already in their inventory.

Armaros

Is it everyone gets a piece of loot or is it " a piece of loot for one of the jobs in the party"?

I could see people being upset though (either way) if they wanted to get gear for an dps and they would rather queue or play as a tank. Like if you're in a group and you're all just greeding or you've decided if x item drops y player gets it and they change it so now you need that job in the group for it to have a chance to drop then it sucks.

I'm seeing that it means everyone gets a usable drop from tha dungeon without rolling for it.

yami4ct

I believe it's just that loot that drops in the dungeon is guaranteed to be useful to at least one person in the group, so no more useless drops. Yeah, it's worse for gearing alts sure but I think it's a better system overall.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong. Huh. A guaranteed piece of loot for everyone without rolling sounds great in my book. I honestly always felt loot should be Diablo 3 style anyway, but MMOs gonna MMO.

R0ckman

The ability that still confuses me the most from my jobs' skillsets is Sleeve Draw. Like, conceptually I get it I guess. You just fill up all your slots with random stuff, but that seems maybe less that useful except in situations where you just have nothing but crap.

There are people that defend 1.0's combat. There are people unhappy that Geriskogul no longer takes time off of the Blood of the Dragon in 4.0. People get attached to weird things, especially when they can deem them making the game more 'casual'.

Its starting to feel like "hardcore" is how much time you are willing to throwaway to nonsense in video games.

K.Sabot

imo the new twin snakes and internal release along with riddle of fire easily make up for the potency nerfs and then a TON after.

Zomba13

"When completing a level 51 to 59 dungeon or a level 61 to 69 dungeon, players will always receive one piece of gear equippable by their current class or job."

* Players will not receive gear that is already in their inventory.

I'm seeing that it means everyone gets a usable drop from tha dungeon without rolling for it.

I believe it's just that loot that drops in the dungeon is guaranteed to be useful to at least one person in the group, so no more useless drops. Yeah, it's worse for gearing alts sure but I think it's a better system overall.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong. Huh. A guaranteed piece of loot for everyone without rolling sounds great in my book. I honestly always felt loot should be Diablo 3 style anyway, but MMOs gonna MMO.

Oh cool. I didn't see that it was just for dungeons. That is awesome. I could see some people not liking it if they wanted to go back to a lower level dungeon and solo it (unsynced) but wanted gear for like, a DPS and they are running through on WAR. But then as you are guaranteed something useful for what you are using it'd only be a few runs to get everything when you don't get dupes (unlike FUCKING Overwatch...)

yami4ct

I wonder how long they are going to let Pld be by far the best tank until they buff War and Drk.

Both bad tanks and the WHM will get buffs in the first balance patch for sure. There are too many players there that will be too angry to leave behind. The question is when will those buffs actually be effective and can they sort the tank balance at all before the next expansion.

I'm under the assumption WHM is screwed until 5.0 TBH. There's just too much fundamentally wrong there to really be able to get them up to the level of the other 2.

Sifl

imo the new twin snakes and internal release along with riddle of fire easily make up for the potency nerfs and then a TON after.
I'm pretty sure Twin Snakes and IR just had their "enhanced" trait removed. So both those skills should be the same as before 4.0 (unless I completely missed what you were referring to).

Zomba13

I do wonder if instead of WAR and DRK getting buffed to PLD highs, PLD gets pulled through the mud to join the other tanks in the dirt. I mean, you never know right?

KanameYuuki

Tghere is no new Twin snakes and internal release, it just means they are as strong from the get go instead of till level 28 and 36 respectively, and that means only getting back dps till level 68 for riddle of fire.

Launch the game and it'll pop up asking you to add stormblood to your account then let you patch.

Yeah, didn't think of logging in.Its working as intended now i think.
Not sure why it redownloaded heavensward through psn but i couldn't care less. My internet is in a good mood today so its all very fast so eh. Getting 8ish MB/s with the game and 10+ with the patch so it didnt matter much.

yami4ct

As someone who didn't finish HW before 4.0, will Scripture gear be high enough iLvl to get through the end of HW going into SB? I don't know what iLv it is.

I got to the end on upgraded lore gear, a piece of script gear and drops so script should be fine. I also assume they're gonna add decent gear rewards to the HW dungeons as well to gear you up and you can always buy market gear if you really are desperate.

B.K.

I haven't unlocked WAR and never played DRK. I've been a PLD since I unlocked it. What makes PLD such a great tank now? What's going to be so different on it tomorrow than yesterday? What new abilities make it so great?

yami4ct

I haven't unlocked WAR and never played DRK. I've been a PLD since I unlocked it. What makes PLD such a great tank now? What's going to be so different on it tomorrow than yesterday? What new abilities make it so great?

Really good potency boosts across the board. Also got some great raid utility particularly in the form of Passage of Arms. Other tanks got nerfs all around and next to no added utility. PLD got everything while everyone else got squat. It's strange.

Full job guide is here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/paladin/

iammeiam

Oh, and MCH lost Grenado Shot too, leaving us with two AoE of the same type (cone), one of which was nerfed and the other is situational.

Feels like we're being limited to do one thing only.

Bishop got hit hard, too, which is unfortunate.

They did finally make Ricochet an actual AOE, though--it's now 300 on target and then reduced % on people around, instead of splitting the total potency. Not a huge buff, but it's no longer overly weird.

They basically did go all-in in centering Machinist around Overheat; at this point I think it's safely the biggest job change in the game. Be interesting to see how it pans out, especially trying to find its place in Bard's shadow.

Foxxsoxx

They did finally make Ricochet an actual AOE, though--it's now 300 on target and then reduced % on people around, instead of splitting the total potency. Not a huge buff, but it's no longer overly weird.

They basically did go all-in in centering Machinist around Overheat; at this point I think it's safely the biggest job change in the game. Be interesting to see how it pans out, especially trying to find its place in Bard's shadow.

Yeah really curious how machinist will play out. I only got mine to 45 but their playstyle looks interesting now. (not that it wasn't before)

yami4ct

General impression is that BRD and MCH sort of switched places right? BRD went back to non Bowmage 2.0 and MCH sort of took over a similar play to 3.0 BRD. Those were just the initial impressions I was hearing.

I wonder how long they are going to let Pld be by far the best tank until they buff War and Drk.

That depends. If non-PLD tank population crashes and everyone's dungeon queues begin to approach infinity then Squenix will have to do something or face a riot from the entire playerbase.

If all the non-PLD tanks just switch to PLD then Squenix might conclude everything is fine and we'll have 2-3 years of PLD/PLD tank meta. Please look forward to it!

yami4ct

That depends. If non-PLD tank population crashes and everyone's dungeon queues begin to approach infinity then Squenix will have to do something or face a riot from the entire playerbase.

If all the non-PLD tanks just switch to PLD then Squenix might conclude everything is fine and we'll have 2-3 years of PLD/PLD tank meta. Please look forward to it!

DRK is always gonna have an inherit popularity boost from being the cool guy Cecil job, so SE is almost certainly gonna hear a tonnnnn of shit from DRK players. I think a lot of people started tanking during the WAR tank meta too and main that and are gonna be vocal as well. I kind of think they'll have no choice but to adjust but we'll see.

At least the tank situation seems easier to fix with just value tweaking than the WHM one. That gives it more hope.

Really good potency boosts across the board. Also got some great raid utility particularly in the form of Passage of Arms. Other tanks got nerfs all around and next to no added utility. PLD got everything while everyone else got squat. It's strange.

Full job guide is here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/paladin/

See, this is false information.

DK for instance, lost scourge, but gained potencies across the board in their combos and even the ability to power up a combos twice for 960 total while feeding their guage. Out of mp > Ocgd super moves while refilling for 2 cycles, then back to nuking with DA souleater combos. By then blood weapon is back and your refilling both guage and mp for more buffs.

It's different, but not a nerf.

yami4ct

See, this is false information.

DK for instance, lost scourge, but gained potencies across the board in their combos and even the ability to power up a combos twice for 960 total. Ocgd super move, then back to nuking with DA combos.

It's different, but not nerfs.

DRK didn't see potency nerfs, sure, but it got big nerfs in the form of things like Souleater going from 100% absorb to 10% and the lack of potency nerfs doesn't really matter when the potency boosts for PLD outrun it.

PLD gets greater potency overall and more utility. Why run DRK?

iammeiam

General impression is that BRD and MCH sort of switched places right? BRD went back to non Bowmage 2.0 and MCH sort of took over a similar play to 3.0 BRD. Those were just the initial impressions I was hearing.

Depends on what you mean by switched, I guess? Bowmage was weird but identifiably 2.0 bard with some extra junk layered on top. It was still buffs, dots, burst windows, yada, just a lot jankier. Bard 4.0 looks like they rolled back the 3.0 changes and followed it down an alternate path; it's pretty different from 2.0 bard, but you can still see the origins.

MCH in 4.0's play style has essentially no relationship to the 3.0 area aside from, for some reason, maintaining Wildfire's unique penalty potential (any other buff if a boss jumps early, you lose the last few seconds of the buff. with wildfire if it invulns early you lose the entire Wildfire.) 3.x MCH was a job with a lot of buttons that heavily focused on aligning a bunch of buffs in very specific burst windows every minute and a half, and was fairly active but not super cumbersome to upkeep. 4.0 MCH has far, far fewer buttons, no actual buff cool downs, fewer damage-dealing oGCDs and is more about a constant short cycle of build heat->overheat->build heat->overheat; at one point the guess was the target is to cycle that twice a minute if possible, and overlay Wildfire on top of one of those two, but it's a much more sustained damage process.

That said, MCH did get the HW bard treatment in that it feels a lot like the changes to the job are more a reaction to what they decided to do to Bard--Bowmage was probably a reaction to Gauss Barrel, and Overheat seems like a reaction to dropping Bard cast times.

Zomba13

Already been answered but basically PLD got the fix to it's problem (why would we use a PLD when WAR/DRK are better alternatives and more fun to play?) while the others got nerfs to their strengths and what made them fun. At least DRK did, not sure on WAR as I don't really play it (I'm only at lvl 53 I think?), seeing all those fell cleaves in the job trailer was hype though so I dunno, maybe it balances out for WAR?

B.K.

Already been answered but basically PLD got the fix to it's problem (why would we use a PLD when WAR/DRK are better alternatives and more fun to play?) while the others got nerfs to their strengths and what made them fun.

I guess my issue is that I never really understood what the problem is with PLD. I never knew what made the other two better to use. I was always glad PLD was a simple job. I tried using DRK, but I couldn't figure it out. A good, simple job is exactly what someone as stupid as me needs.

iammeiam

Already been answered but basically PLD got the fix to it's problem (why would we use a PLD when WAR/DRK are better alternatives and more fun to play?) while the others got nerfs to their strengths and what made them fun. At least DRK did, not sure on WAR as I don't really play it (I'm only at lvl 53 I think?), seeing all those fell cleaves in the job trailer was hype though so I dunno, maybe it balances out for WAR?

They bitchslapped WAR's self-sustain, and added in a penalty to stance dancing. WAR can probably mitigate just fine and be functional, but the new rotation as I understand it has the potential for feeling super clunky for no real gain.

LordKasual

Banned
Well, we got the final Changes:

BLM
--------

- Thunder 2 is, infact, an AoE thunder spell now. Hurray!

- Seems like you cannot apply Thunder I/III and II/IV at the same time. Bummer.

BRD
--------

- Foes is no longer a mage buffer, but instead a raid DPS increase? I'll take it.

- BARRAGE CAN CRIT NOW LUL

- Lost alot of shit, but all the songs do damage now

- Looks like you have to completely re-learn 50-60 BRD, but 60-70 BRD is essentially unchanged? Just gets extra utility i guess. Not very exciting for someone starting at lv60.

MNK
---------

- Riddle of Fire went from -30% speed to -15% speed in the final version. Looking far more attractive now.

NIN
--------
-.....why doesn't Ninja have a lv 64 skill??

WHM
---------

- Stone II has gone from 170 potency to 200??? That's ridiculous for low-level WHM plays, but it makes the upgrade to Stone III feel completely worthless since you're only gaining 10 potency now.

- Stone IV got nerfed from the old tooltips, only 250....

SMN

--------

- Your Carbuncle / Garuda got a debuff that causes 10% magic damage increase on your target for 15 seconds. That's where your dots went. Be happy.

DRK didn't see potency nerfs, sure, but it got big nerfs in the form of things like Souleater going from 100% absorb to 10% and the lack of potency nerfs doesn't really matter when the potency boosts for PLD outrun it.

PLD gets greater potency overall and more utility. Why run DRK?

We will have to see it in practice I guess, but I don't believe for one second an off tank dark with a full 20% boosted darkside would lose the dps race compared to a pld. Fight or flight all the time when not magic nuking is great, but that can't overcome it imo.

And as I mentioned in the other thread, my biggest issue is more the attitude in which you posted. Why run dark? Bro, we haven't even played this shit yet. Everything is theoretical and on paper.

Edit: And meantioning soul eater hp nerf is just silly. That was basically inconsequential.

Sifl

If they gave Drk scourge back and War got super fracture they would be saved.

And yes, the most puzzling thing about War specifically compared to Pld is how much damage it is going to do without any of their skills being tied to the oath gauge, and how War's dps relies on their beast gauge. If War's for any reason need to switch from deliverance to defiance they are going to cry irl.

Rewind

I guess I level SAM first but I'm interested in red mage, bard, and drg as well. May have to jump the bard, too lazy to level from level 15. I hope one of those classes is complex enough to not put me to sleep. Retiring my monk as it seems DOA. I really don't want to play a slower easier monk then what's already there.

Ken

We will have to see it in practice I guess, but I don't believe for one second an off tank dark with a full 20% boosted darkside would lose the dps race compared to a pld. Fight or flight all the time when not magic nuking is great, but that can't overcome it imo.

And as I mentioned in the other thread, my biggest issue is more the attitude in which you posted. Why run dark? Bro, we haven't even played this shit yet. Everything is theoretical and on paper.

Edit: And meantioning soul eater hp nerf is just silly. That was basically inconsequential.

drk got no dots

Top Bottom