• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

Finally got my group an O4S clear before reset. We lost way too much time this week due to an unstable internet connection with one or two members and my bard being out of town for the week, but we still managed to pull through.

Clear video

Congratulations!

Nice, hows the difficulty compared to o3s?More complex mechanics and tank gets hit harder?
I haven't even looked at o4s yet.

Tank damage in the fight isn't really a big deal; there are a few tankbusters but you can invuln cheese many of them and the others are pretty basic cooldown+shield=np. The raid-wide damage can be more of a thing, and it's the first fight I can think of that actually makes aggro management a group effort. Tanks need to be smart about grabbing threat, healers need to be smart about controlling theirs, DPS need to minimize their screwing up and keep an eye on their threat since aggro reset.

I don't think it's particularly hard hard, and the difficulty should curve well with gear, but I do think most of the work that exists ends up on tanks and healers. We've been trailing RDMs and we're able to take some guy who'd only been like a minute into Exdeath into 4S and hit enrage in like two pulls and then clear him a few pulls later because most of the pain points of the fight don't involve DPS doing things so much as DPS just not dying (which is still important! but is easier to pick up via reaction, while the tank and healer stuff generally needs some preplanning to allocate CDs).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally got my group an O4S clear before reset. We lost way too much time this week due to an unstable internet connection with one or two members and my bard being out of town for the week, but we still managed to pull through.

Clear video
Grats on the clear.

O4S Neo is making my butt hurt on BLM. Slowly getting better with practice but still tough so far. Lots of trying force myself to sit still for some things just to see what happens.

ch4fx_

Is there an unwritten rule for who heals who in PUGs when doing content with more than 1 healer? I ran my first two 8 man dungeons last night & while they ended up going well, there wasn't any rhyme/reason to who was healing who, so overhealing happened quite often.

Also, while running 8 man content, I noticed that the enemy names that pop up on the left side of the screen cover up the last person on my list of party members, so I can't see that persons health/status/etc. Is there any way to give party names priority over enemy names, that way the full party will always be visible no matter how many enemies are on screen? Hopefully I didn't do a terrible job of explaining that.. If it's unclear what I'm talking about, I'll take a screenshot later when I get home.

Thanks in advance for answering all my random questions, I appreciate it :D.

EDIT - how do I switch grand companies? I'm rank 2 in my current company, but can't figure out how to switch to another one.

Leunam

Those two 8 man dungeons are the only ones of its kind in the entire game and people blaze through them nowadays. I wouldn't worry about maximizing healing in there.

As for overlap, you can adjust the size and position of all your HUD elements under the HUD layout menu.

aceface

Is there an unwritten rule for who heals who in PUGs when doing content with more than 1 healer? I ran my first two 8 man dungeons last night & while they ended up going well, there wasn't any rhyme/reason to who was healing who, so overhealing happened quite often.

Also, while running 8 man content, I noticed that the enemy names that pop up on the left side of the screen cover up the last person on my list of party members, so I can't see that persons health/status/etc. Is there any way to give party names priority over enemy names, that way the full party will always be visible no matter how many enemies are on screen? Hopefully I didn't do a terrible job of explaining that.. If it's unclear what I'm talking about, I'll take a screenshot later when I get home.

Thanks in advance for answering all my random questions, I appreciate it :D.

EDIT - how do I switch grand companies? I'm rank 2 in my current company, but can't figure out how to switch to another one.

For healing, it's pretty much anything goes on pug content like that. If you are pugging the newest ex Primal or Savage raid you might want to have a quick discussion on healing responsibilities but for other stuff it doesn't matter much.

To fix that issue with overlapping things, go to HUD Layout in the main menu. You can move around and resize the HUD elements so they don't overlap.

Blitzhex

IMO it's harder than o3s but easier than a12s from last tier.

Also Exdeath is harder than Neo Exdeath for some reason (if you wipe to Exdeath it seems mostly due to RNG more than anything. At least in my experience). Neo is very scripted and doesn't even auto attack. I think I cast like two benefic IIs in the entire fight when I cleared, haha.

Congratulations!

Tank damage in the fight isn't really a big deal; there are a few tankbusters but you can invuln cheese many of them and the others are pretty basic cooldown+shield=np. The raid-wide damage can be more of a thing, and it's the first fight I can think of that actually makes aggro management a group effort. Tanks need to be smart about grabbing threat, healers need to be smart about controlling theirs, DPS need to minimize their screwing up and keep an eye on their threat since aggro reset.

I don't think it's particularly hard hard, and the difficulty should curve well with gear, but I do think most of the work that exists ends up on tanks and healers. We've been trailing RDMs and we're able to take some guy who'd only been like a minute into Exdeath into 4S and hit enrage in like two pulls and then clear him a few pulls later because most of the pain points of the fight don't involve DPS doing things so much as DPS just not dying (which is still important! but is easier to pick up via reaction, while the tank and healer stuff generally needs some preplanning to allocate CDs).

Oh cool, sounds like a fun fight. I'll go in and get some practice done today.

Village

Is it bad that I listen to music and am like "Man, this'd make a great Primal theme"?

No? Video games have helped color our music tastes. I was listening to a remix of a daft punk song and I was like " damn this the most sonic shit i've heard in a minute" .

DMiz

Hey guys,

I purchased the Digital Collector's Edition on GMG a long time ago when the expansion was first up for pre-purchase.

I got the code way back in June, but wasn't in a position to be able to register the code until now -- and MogStation is saying my registration code is invalid.

I've sent an e-mail to GMG but it seems like they might not be able to help me. I'm going to attempt to contact the SE Help Desk but I've had some poor experiences with them in the past.

Has anybody run into any similar issues way back during the launch and code registration and knows any solutions?

Hey guys,

I purchased the Digital Collector's Edition on GMG a long time ago when the expansion was first up for pre-purchase.

I got the code way back in June, but wasn't in a position to be able to register the code until now -- and MogStation is saying my registration code is invalid.

I've sent an e-mail to GMG but it seems like they might not be able to help me. I'm going to attempt to contact the SE Help Desk but I've had some poor experiences with them in the past.

Has anybody run into any similar issues way back during the launch and code registration and knows any solutions?

How many digits in your code? If it's 18, it's the preorder code to get the various items, it's registered at https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com/na . You should have a 20digit code for the game itself that's the one you need to use on the Mogstation. They sent that right when the game released, as opposed to the preorder code which was sent a while before. Other than that chekc the 0 and O and stuff like that and after that contact SE I guess but not sure they'll be able to help you since there's no proof for them that you bought the game so it seems more like a GMG issue.

scy

Clear video

I'm a bit late to this but grats!
Who gets to show off derpy lizard

Nice, hows the difficulty compared to o3s?More complex mechanics and tank gets hit harder?
I haven't even looked at o4s yet.

Also late to this but O3S and O4S are both in the mechanics heavy side of things; first phase of Exdeath and O3S fit the "it's a script with minor RNG" side of design but both can be planned to the point of having the RNG not be a factor. Basically some amounts of on the fly thinking to be done but to compensate, the rest of the mechanics are a little more lax (either easier to execute or more time to execute) to keep the mechanics burden relatively 'average' throughout. I'd fit both O3S and vanilla Exdeath as strictly easier than Neo but both with a caveat of "Expect to decide on the fly a few times" to them.

Neo is a bunch of small, easy mechanics to handle but it throws something like 20 of them total at you. It's the fight that's ultimately going to look more clean as time goes by simply because there's very little deviation from a script. So a harder fight to initially learn but will eventually become second nature. It also has a bit of the lopsided responsibility curve but that's mostly a nature of the mechanics-heavy design with non-raid wipes, I think? For the most part, if you're a DPS then learning the fight is mostly not getting yourself or others killed and keeping your head down otherwise; tanks have some cooldown planning and better Provoke usage while healers have to deal with Neo's everything being AoE to plan for dealing with.

mcw

I shouldn't love this Titan music as much as I do.

OOGA BOOGA BOOGA
OOGA BOOGA BOOGA
OOGA BOOGA BOOGA
...TITAN

Well, today is the last day of my sub and life is going to get really busy for me soon, so I gotta say goodbye to XIV for now.

Glad I got through Stormblood, but I still have Omega waiting.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well, today is the last day of my sub and life is going to get really busy for me soon, so I gotta say goodbye to XIV for now.

Glad I got through Stormblood, but I still have Omega waiting.
We will still be here when you decide to come back to the game so good luck with your life endeavours in the meantime.

PepperedHam

Had to take one of the free transfers off Gilgamesh so I can play with two best friends who got the game and... yikes, night and day difference leaving a high pop server for Siren. Seeing lots of sprouts which is nice to see, which you barely ever see on Gilgamesh, but seeing Rhalgr's Reach with like 5 people in it gave me pause. It's frustrating how difficult it is to invite friends to the game if you end up on one of the high pop servers. We tried doing the thing where you make a character there during a super off hour time but it was locked around the clock, I didn't want to make them wait any more to play the game they had bought.

It's a shame the housing works the way it does because that pretty much takes the cards off the table for any kind of low pop mergers at like... any time ever.

scy

It's a shame the housing works the way it does because that pretty much takes the cards off the table for any kind of low pop mergers at like... any time ever.

They did this before, albeit on Korean servers, where they just merged servers together. If I recall, it just destroyed a lot of houses in the process.

Is there anyway to get Grade VI materia non-combat other than spiritbonding 70 gear and WT? I saw a comment saying you could try transmuting grade V materia, but idk if that works.

scy

Is there anyway to get Grade VI materia non-combat other than spiritbonding 70 gear and WT? I saw a comment saying you could try transmuting grade V materia, but idk if that works.

You have a chance of upgrading materia through Bubblypots but it's fairly rare, though V prices are low enough that it's fun gambling if nothing else; if you're trying to fish for VIs of value, your best bet is gambling with all the cheap non-STR/VIT main stats or resist materia VIs and to use a variety (aka, 1x of each vs 5x the same since it what you use from the possible outcomes) when throwing materia at him. If you go this route, it's purely gambling so may want to temper expectations somewhat.

If you just want crafting materia with a little less investment, you can just buy the NQ left side from a vendor, craft the HQ right side, and meld some junk materia that people sell for vendor prices. Two materia per NQ piece and using an Spiritbind potion make it somewhere around 200 crafts to fully SB a set? I just send my retainer for Gazelle Hide a lot and mass craft NQ leather when I reach it taking too many inventory slots. Quick Synth failure rate is too high in my opinion since the leather sells okay (2 stacks of it would be around 3M!) still but that saves you tons of time if you're okay with it. That said, VI prices aren't that great, at least on Levi, so its not a huge money maker even if you get lucky but may be worth hoarding for 4.1, maybe 4.2, for long-term things. It'll be your most consistent way to generate VIs 'on demand' though if that's your goal.

I guess gathering you can do the same just hitting nodes with NQ gear and materia, SB pots, etc. but that sounds a lot more suffering than macro crafting personally. And outside of HQing nodes you don't need HQ mats for, not a lot of value in these VIs yet as well.

Robin64

Man, these RMT folk are doing weird shit lately.

They spawn halfway in the ground, as a level 50 Black Mage usually, with either the AF1 set or a weird other look (but always one of those two), their random name, then they vanish. And it's constant. Like, I can watch one area and see hundreds appearing and vanishing. What the hell is going on.

Video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9i2bNcGnOI

They spawn halfway in the ground, as a level 50 Black Mage usually, with either the AF1 set or a weird other look (but always one of those two), their random name, then they vanish. And it's constant. Like, I can watch one area and see hundreds appearing and vanishing. What the hell is going on.

Yeah I've been seeing this really frequently recently, a lot of people teleporting around various areas as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You have a chance of upgrading materia through Bubblypots but it's fairly rare, though V prices are low enough that it's fun gambling if nothing else; if you're trying to fish for VIs of value, your best bet is gambling with all the cheap non-STR/VIT main stats or resist materia VIs and to use a variety (aka, 1x of each vs 5x the same since it what you use from the possible outcomes) when throwing materia at him. If you go this route, it's purely gambling so may want to temper expectations somewhat.

If you just want crafting materia with a little less investment, you can just buy the NQ left side from a vendor, craft the HQ right side, and meld some junk materia that people sell for vendor prices. Two materia per NQ piece and using an Spiritbind potion make it somewhere around 200 crafts to fully SB a set? I just send my retainer for Gazelle Hide a lot and mass craft NQ leather when I reach it taking too many inventory slots. Quick Synth failure rate is too high in my opinion since the leather sells okay (2 stacks of it would be around 3M!) still but that saves you tons of time if you're okay with it. That said, VI prices aren't that great, at least on Levi, so its not a huge money maker even if you get lucky but may be worth hoarding for 4.1, maybe 4.2, for long-term things. It'll be your most consistent way to generate VIs 'on demand' though if that's your goal.

I guess gathering you can do the same just hitting nodes with NQ gear and materia, SB pots, etc. but that sounds a lot more suffering than macro crafting personally. And outside of HQing nodes you don't need HQ mats for, not a lot of value in these VIs yet as well.

Failure on quick synth still gives you binding points
Getting enough mats to spam craft is the real problem

For gathering if you have books with 1-star nodes unlocked you can hit legendary nodes on rotation and gain 12% per node (so 50% every 30m hardly doing anything at all), it's pretty amazing
But then you don't have zelkova logs to spam crafting spiritbinding! Decisions, decisions.

Watcher

After about 3 weeks of really being into this game i think im calling it quits. The grind is just ridiculous. I guess mmos arent for me. Its a shame because the story is interesting and i want to continue but ive had enough of the leveling experience

Edzi

After about 3 weeks of really being into this game i think im calling it quits. The grind is just ridiculous. I guess mmos arent for me. Its a shame because the story is interesting and i want to continue but ive had enough of the leveling experience

Where in the story are you? ARR can get kinda slow, but you can speed through leveling with POTD. If you're only focusing on a single class, you shouldn't really have to worry about grinding TOO much since MSQ + dungeons + dailies should keep you at or around the current MSQ level.

Watcher

Where in the story are you? ARR can get kinda slow, but you can speed through leveling with POTD. If you're only focusing on a single class, you shouldn't really have to worry about grinding TOO much since MSQ + dungeons + dailies should keep you at or around the current MSQ level.

Im level 54 in heavensward. Ive tried potd and lord what a slog. If thats what i have to do to level up ill just find another game. Ive been single class the entire game. Seems like the best way to level is repeating dungeons or potd or grinding fates. Ill pass. My free month is almost up anyways, guess i got my moneys worth

Getting enough mats to spam craft is the real problem

For gathering if you have books with 1-star nodes unlocked you can hit legendary nodes on rotation and gain 12% per node (so 50% every 30m hardly doing anything at all), it's pretty amazing
But then you don't have zelkova logs to spam crafting spiritbinding! Decisions, decisions.

Yeah right now I'm spiritbonding NQ gathering gear on legendary nodes and it's going pretty quick. I'll need to farm more crystals as well when I start spiritbonding crafter gear too.

Edzi

Im level 54 in heavensward. Ive tried potd and lord what a slog. If thats what i have to do to level up ill just find another game. Ive been single class the entire game. Seems like the best way to level is repeating dungeons or potd or grinding fates. Ill pass. My free month is almost up anyways, guess i got my moneys worth

Yeah, if you're not feeling it by mid Heavensward then the game probably isn't for you.

scy

Yeah, it's why I noted that leather cost at least. ~20-25% failure rate still means like 600k or so lost in crafts which is basically a VI materia on Levi anyway. But the time is probably worth more, assuming enough mats anyway.

Huh, I really didn't think it was 50%. Might not be the worst then, averages about the same rate to 100%.

Astral

It really irks me when people run off before I cast Protect on them at the start of the dungeon. It makes me wanna let them die.

I've been back in for a little while now. Enjoying mining and botany again, just as much as ever. Question though. I'm 53 on mining now and 50 on botany, almost 51. My level 50 stuff is very gimped now even though it's all HQ. Going to have a friend make me the level 53 stuff (wyvernskin) which is good for mining and botany, because it seems I seriously need it. Even the NQ stuff destroys the lvl 50 HQ stuff.

Anyone have a good lvl 50+ to 75 guide to follow about what gear I should be doing? I've seen some stuff so far by talking to some people at Rev Toll about how it looks like I'll upgrade my pickaxe eventually?

Also, good materia guide? Can't remember crap on this and what I want to do with it.

Thanks for any input.

kaze343

position hack to get thru msq asap.
if you are doing dungeons when at the level of them as well as msq, there is next to no grinding required. even more so when you say you been sticking to one class. everything gives so much more exp than they used to.

P7ZZuw4.jpg

I finally got up on this stupid tower. Man, the last jump sucks.

Astral

I gotta say, I've really enjoyed traveling with Alphinaud, Ysayle, and Estinien. If feels like an actual party from a single player FF. The long journey is also a nice change of pace from ARR, where I felt like an errand boy half the time.

Square temporarily reverting the Brazil/Russian steam prices due to miscommunication and giving out a month of playtime to everyone affected, fuck yeah

Top Bottom