• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Gbraga

Honestly, Chapter 10 made me one of the Ignis bros as well. What a guy.

Tabata has a thing for seemingly minor gameplay elements with big narrative payoffs, huh? This game already had (Chapter 10 spoilers)
canned food when Ignis can no longer cook, the modified version of the resting theme, their dialogue over Prompto's shots, the rather sad resting animations...
Damn.

If only the entire narrative was as well developed as these elements were.

Agreed. It takes a long time to get there. Too long, but that stuff you mention was great. There's a fantastic atmosphere built as a result in that chapter, a really nicely played out scenario. Super interested in the teams next project, just going off of all this where they inherited a lot of hangup and a rough time frame.

Honestly, Chapter 10 made me one of the Ignis bros as well. What a guy.

Tabata has a thing for seemingly minor gameplay elements with big narrative payoffs, huh? This game already had (Chapter 10 spoilers)
canned food when Ignis can no longer cook, the modified version of the resting theme, their dialogue over Prompto's shots, the rather sad resting animations...
Damn.

I know, that camping scene was really touching. Ignis is definitely the best bro.

Going in to the dungeon I asked him to stay behind, but he refused. What a guy. Them all gathered around him sadly eating their canned food, and Promoto picking up his cane when he trips.

What happens to
Luna
: 😐
What happens to
Ignis
: 😭

Arrrammis

Am I gimping myself by not loading up on three Royal Arms and a Broadsword?

No. Honestly, I barely used royal arms at all through the entire story and most of the endgame so far. They end up draining a lot of your health and don't do enough damage to negate that IMO. I personally mostly ran with one royal arm (
Usually great axe or other heavy weapon
), Engine blade, spear/daggers, and a spell, and that got me through almost every fight without breaking a sweat.

Mentok

Banned
That is why Ignis is inarguably the best Bro of the bunch. What happened to him and how he decided to handle it seriously became one of the most surprisingly touching moments in the game, I was genuinely touched.

Gladio was meh. Prompto was alright, I guess.

He's definitely the only guard I'm liking so far.

Equip three royal arms to get the stat boosts and then use some other weapon like Engine Blade II or III.

Lol, don't know why I never thought about doing this!

Equip three royal arms to get the stat boosts and then use some other weapon like Engine Blade II or III.

I never know that, and that sounds tempting. Too bad I love switching weapons (and magic) to maximize enemies' weakness so much so I wouldn't be able to stick to just 1 weapon type.

I just finished it this morning. Very powerful ending and key scenes throughout the game.

The combat wasn't bad for it being non-turned based but it very very simplistic. I would have like more control over my team. It basically boiled down to a poor man's Devil May Cry. I've never died and I played on normal. That's a first for any FF I've ever played. I think that says something for the combat.

CRAZY bugs and glitches. Camera getting stuck in one position in multiple dungeons after battles with the punching goblins. Fell through the ground while fighting in Altissa and discovered that Noct has a swimming animation. Fell through the ground in a tower, past the boss and out of the sky in front of that same tower where my character disappeared for a few seconds. Got stuck in a doorway and had to fast travel out of it. Quest bugs where they don't work right on the map.

What story was there was pretty good but it kind of had that MGSV feel of being too far and few for cutscenes, just not nearly as bad.

The open world is phenomenal.

As for KingsGlaive, I wanted them to at least acknowledge Nix and what he went through and
they came through at the very end.

I expected way more backlash for the car and being forced to sit until you can fast travel and that doesn't always work for some reason.

I have more but I have a party to go to and getting nagged to get ready. Overall one of the best and worst FF's I've ever played but the good outwieghs the bad.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY!!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Minor ending spoilers:
I chose a photo of Cup Noodles as the picture Noct takes with him into 'the beyond' or whatever that was. Pretty funny to see it's inclusion into the ending FMV

Also, I wish the second half wasn't as rushed feeling. Pacing was my main gripe with this game. Spent 60+ hours up to chapter 9, just derpin' around, feeling the breeze, and then I completed the rest of the game in under 10 hours. Shit some of it was hard, despite me being totally overlevelled.

Just so you know about the ending:
the final final scene wasn't FMV, it's a cutscene. I thought it was an FMV at first.

i'm being so cheap in battle.

fighting a 120 level Naglfar for a Randolph quest.

i just sit in a corner till the sun rises and let him get killed by sunlight. monster is too strong for me at level 81

I never really used the Royal Arms that often myself. I mainly just equipped 3 of them for the stat boosts (some are quite nice) and used the Ultima Blade or the daggers you get from
level 120 monster quest

i'm being so cheap in battle.

fighting a 120 level Naglfar for a Randolph quest.

i just sit in a corner till the sun rises and let him get killed by sunlight. monster is too strong for me at level 81

That actually works? lol

lmao. It did work?

yeah, i took a phone snap of the enemy HP while eating, Ignis stupidly ran in there and got killed but i resurrected him.

tN5T6Yb.jpg

cEgETpi.jpg

it takes two (gametime) nights but yeah =)

To a degree yes. It has to actually be able to kill them, when I was level 4 or o the sun killed three fireball things and I got the xp. It did not kill the giant, not enough dmg.

....I just don't bother with the filler fights.

Yeah actually. My first time fighting flan for a hunt, I was WAY underlevelled and the fight lasted until the sun came up. The sun took care of them for me.

Wow, I had no idea that happened... after 120 hours lol.

btw is it possible to refight that lvl120 enemy somewhere outside of the quest?

alt27

I really enjoyed the game. Just finished the story and will now start doing the rest of the dungeons and other quests etc.

This was my first FF I have ever completed and I will be on board for the 7 remake for sure. The combat was great in this game, and although the story at the start was all over the place, the last few chapters redeemed it.

That is why Ignis is inarguably the best Bro of the bunch. What happened to him and how he decided to handle it seriously became one of the most surprisingly touching moments in the game, I was genuinely touched.

Gladio was meh. Prompto was alright, I guess.

He really was. I was surprised that I liked him the most. Gladio surprised me with how much I disliked him

AmyS

It's a nice enough skill in the sense that it offers marginal help, but your first 333 AP skill should almost certainly be a third accessory slot for Noctis or the always-critical link strike, IMO.

I'm super curious to see what sort of changes Tabata makes to the Ascension grid in future patches (the game's AP economy still needs more changes so you gain AP faster, but there's plenty of possibility to add a whole bunch of further available upgrades to the game in the expansion pack or the January patch).

Is there a patch confirmed for January ?

Gbraga

Started chapter 13, I guess I'll have to finish the game in the morning, it's too late already. I was pleased to see that the forced slow walking isn't nearly as bad as I feared, unless it gets worse. The movement speed seems slightly faster than the dungeon crawling speed, which makes a pretty big difference.

Unless that was also part of the patch? They didn't mention the Jared scene in the patch notes, after all.

EDIT: Impervious is the best 333 skill, imo. Luckily, it was also the first I got.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just got to floor 40 of Menace Under Costlemark. The first 30 floors were pretty easy, with the
Jormungand
on floor 29 was trivialized by my lasagna negating elemental damage. The enemy level jumps from the low 80s to the mid 90s at floor 31 though. Not being allowed to use items and fighting 4 level 90 Iron Giants or 4 level 95 Mindflayers at the same time is not fun.

So far, floors 41-50 seem a lot easier surprisingly enough. Negating elemental damage helps a lot more here.

Edit: At floor 50. The last 10 floors were pathetic. Got 3 game overs on 30-40. Only game overs in the game other than Regalia crashes (even if it is only because you can't use items).

Neiteio

After you beat chapter 14 is there any reason
to fight the final bosses again? Anything else in the citadel?
If you like taking screens, it's a good opportunity to screencap the final bosses and endings. :)

I wonder why they block recording for the credits, though. Is it because of licensed music?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Beat Menace Under Costlemark.

Eating Lasagna most camps makes it pretty easy. Most of the tough enemies rely on elemental attacks. No need to over prepare. I just used Mega-Potion infused magic for full heals when I needed.

Eat something else on floor 30 though. You're gonna want extra strength and vitality rather than elemental resist for 30-40.

Just got fishing left now. 41 left to catch including the Pink Jade Gar, then I've done everything there is to do in this game.

Okay GAF, I think I finished Ch. 5 so who the fuck is Jared and why do I care about him?
I went back to Lestrallum and Iris is like, "oh no, they took Jared there was nothing I could do (pouty face)!" And, that kid is crying about it too. Then we all headed to Caern (or wherever). Who the hell was that old coot? Why is everyone so sad about him?

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay GAF, I think I finished Ch. 5 so who the fuck is Jared and why do I care about him?
I went back to Lestrallum and Iris is like, "oh no, they took Jared there was nothing I could do (pouty face)!" And, that kid is crying about it too. Then we all headed to Caern (or wherever). Who the hell was that old coot? Why is everyone so sad about him?

*Looks at thread title*

*Looks at Back-In-Black*

Lightning

Banned
Jared being mourned is totally understandable. Talcot just lost his guardian and is a kid so his reaction is understandable. Noctis and party being upset also understandable as he was killed protecting them. Iris reaction also understandable, can't imagine watching someone be killed being very pleasant at all.

For the player, me at least, I didn't give a fuck as the game never fleshed him out but that's the situation with the story in general so i didn't give a fuck about any of the characters or story in this game as none of them got proper reasoning to give a fuck about them.

Hydrus

Ok, the graphics in this game finally clicked for me. This game is fucking gorgeous. Currently in chapter 6 and just got iris to that house with the kid. Just been running around by the ocean. I guess starting the game in the bland desert turned me off. This game keeps getting better and better!

jonjonaug

So after reaching the bottom floor of Costlemark Tower and looking up online what I'd have to do to finish it, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to rush through the rest of the main story content and ignore the rest of the side content. I already got the silver trophy for quest completion so I'm assuming I've gone through most of it outside of postgame stuff anyway.

The game has some great lighting, but it's a real pain in combat that takes place in any areas with shade or cloudy weather because it's really hard to see what's going on.

It's a little difficult to articulate, but I can't see the characters in contrast to the environment because the lighting is so flat and dark. It's like the camera exposure hasn't adjusted to the weather so you end up with a picture that is way too dark.
It especially makes the combat really terrible if you get stuck in an area with any vegetation because you're practically blind at that point.
Anyone else have this problem?

Man...
I just spent like 3 hours trudging through one of the worst sections of a video game I've ever played in Chapter 13, and now I am faced with a boss in Ravus that is one of the most frustrating I've encountered in a long time. I get exhausted of healing items and lose. I feel like I've coasted up until this point and this is the first real challenge I've gotten and I'm just failing miserably.

I really don't know if I want to keep playing this game. My gaming time is precious and none of this has been fun for the last like 4 chapters (easy when like 3 of those chapters were about 10 minutes long).

Crazy how quickly this game went from one of favorite experiences to one of my least favorites.

Future

Game took a nose dive way before chapter 13 for me. I just got to that chapter but I want to say the last 4 have been pretty much a drag. Once they
lost the open world in favor of a confusing giant town and then walking on a train repeatedly
I felt like I have played enough. Gonna force my way to the end

I know it's been said but damn. I really don't know what's going on story wise and what each of these characters motivations are. I also don't feel like my gameplay is changing at all with new abilities or upgrades. Been doin the same shit and winning the same way for hours now

Top Bottom