• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Just completed the game after 50 hours. Loved it.

Chapter 13 was the only part of the game that I felt dragged and i'd argue was pretty bad. Honestly though, this game was great! Some story issues but it was still a fulfilling experience.

The gameplay was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the combat. The ending was one of my favourites in the whole series. This game rekindled my love for the series. Good stuff.

Whoo hoo! Beat Costlemark over the weekend, also finished the fishing quests.

What do I need to do to platinum this game? Play my new game+ save and get the flying car/hidden dungeon? Finish every hunt? Complete all missions (including the rainbow frog mission)?

I'm 99 hrs in and I need to bury this game.

Getting each skill to level 10 is the most time consuming. You do not need to do every hunt. Just fish, do as many of the fishing quests as you can, cook a lot, camp a lot, Prompto's camera skill should be at 10 naturally; hunt-wise you have to kill the giant turtle for a trophy... those are really the "hardest" ones. There's no hard trophies, just some grinding and time really.

Dante316

Thanks for the advice. I'm just gonna travel to the past and level up. I got him down to few percent but I don't mind raising to 40 at least.

Lots of great advice and yea, I'd agree, maybe 30s is a little low but I do think it's pretty hard. Particularly in context of other boss encounters in the game, which are often more set piece moments than actual tests. Plus if he's finding it hard, it's not quuuite so helpful to just straight up state it's not hard :p all the stuff in spoil tags is good though.

I beat it around lvl 37. In fact, I beat the whole game never making it to lvl 40. But,
Ravus
was a tough fight til I looked up some guides and stocked up on potions. Basically, he very clearly signals his attacks so just look out for them. When he starts to charge up his AOE attacks, jump to a warp point. You also want to use a lot of warp strikes on him. His other moves are easy for you to counter especially his charge which he takes a while to charge before lunging.

I honestly found my party members a hindrance during his fight with them constantly dying like idiots.My advice, don't waste your revives on them. Use a few on them to help get the boss down initially but save a good amount for yourself. I saved about three for myself and after my party was dead just beat him solo.

Ingeniero

So I got the key for the sealed rooms in the dungeons. Something new to do at least....

Still can't land in Pitioss tho, I keep crashing/dying.

I think I'll farm Magitek suits now as well.

I honestly found my party members a hindrance during his fight with them constantly dying like idiots.My advice, don't waste your revives on them. Use a few on them to help get the boss down initially but save a good amount for yourself. I saved about three for myself and after my party was dead just beat him solo.

Haha I definitely think you get more out of your teammates with a few key unlocks on the board but yea, there was a few fights in the game I had to just abandon them. It would be really nice to have the most basis of ai commands sometimes.

Ultimadrago

What's the best approach for accessories like the
Dark Matter
Bracelet? Should I optimally be on the lookout for 4 so that each member gets one? Should I just get one for Noctis?

Also, I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether Limit Break Catalyst farming for
Zu Beak or Wind-up Lord Vexxos
is better/easier? I just want to be well prepared for any post-game content I may be interested in completing.

Lucael

I need to beat Iris at the Chocobo Race, should I wait for Sylkis Green to be avalaible? I did all the quest line for the Chocobo ranch at the moment but still can't buy Sylkis.

Miang

Just to ask again - what's the most reliable/efficient way of making gil post game? Selling the highest reward from the Justice Monsters game in
Altissia?
or are there any other decent farming methods?

Just to ask again - what's the most reliable/efficient way of making gil post game? Selling the highest reward from the Justice Monsters game in
Altissia?
or are there any other decent farming methods?

I've got no idea sorry. What do you need money for, endless potions? I hadn't got far enough to doing the post game dungeons to worry about that yet haha

I managed to pull off the
Aranea glitch
yes it still works. And just traveling around with them.

Discovering new dungeons is pretty cool.

Gbraga

Definitely play Dragon Age: Inquisition on the highest difficulty. I think a lot of the complaints about the combat come from people who play on Normal. On Nightmare, I felt that most encounters did require more than just auto-attacking and using my abilities when they were up.

As for similarities between Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Age: Inquisition, the first that comes to mind is definitely the MMO-like fetch quests. Both also have nice looking areas, but at least for me, I didn't feel very compelled to explore them (the exploration definitely isn't as good as something like Xenoblade Chronicles X).

The party banter is also a similarity for the two games, and the focus on main character relationships. They both have what I would say is a lack of emphasis on the main scenario. Both games have short main scenarios, but Dragon Age Inquisition's story is better told (but to be fair, it's rare to see storytelling worse than Final Fantasy XV's). I would also say that the main quests in Dragon Age: Inquisition are better, even though there are only a few of them.

Probably not a popular opinion around here, but I do prefer Dragon Age: Inquisition despite its problems, even though it's not the best Dragon Age game.

Edit: I should also mention that if you do play the game, the last DLC (Trespasser) is very good, and highly recommended, especially if you're interested in the lore of the Dragon Age series and where it's going next.

I really should play the Xenoblade games.

Also glad to know that there is a future for the Dragon Age series! Excited to see what comes next already :D

Would you say that Inquisition can be similar to Mass Effect 2 in quest structure and progression if you ignore the more boring ones and focus on character quests?

DA: I just has a weird vocal minority that hated the game for some reason, however, it was GOTY for a reason. It's actually really good. Also, people tend to forget it was a last gen game. While it was made for next-gen systems it also came out on PS3 and X360, this limited a lot of what they wanted to do. Overall, it's still one of my favorite RPGs and I've probably put about 300 hours into at this point.

Do I get to see my husbando Alistair one more time?

Miang

I've got no idea sorry. What do you need money for, endless potions? I hadn't got far enough to doing the post game dungeons to worry about that yet haha

Haha, yep I'm going to tackle some of the harder dungeons soon and don't have much cash to stock up on items. I've still got plenty of hunts to do tho so might do those for the cash/XP.

Game just crashed when in ch 13
Noctis is talking to Bahumut. I apparently have to do the Ravus boss fight again b/c the game didn't autosave after the fight

I might just not finish this game, jesus christ.

KiraXD

Best way to get level 99 after beating the game?

after? iono i hit 99 before beating it... but putting in 337.5 hours should do the trick.

FhzkKcy.jpg

The storytelling in this game is horrid. I usually don't have a hard time understanding JRPG stories but I can't for the life of me grasp what is going on in this game. I'll be reading the in-depth spoilers after I'm done with the game (currently on Chapter 13), but I'm not a fan of the storytelling. There are some cool cutscenes that I enjoy watching, but they really have no meaning to me because I don't understand what's happening or why most of the time. The interaction between the four characters is mostly good, though. A lot of times I find random quips between characters during gameplay to be completely unnatural and forced, but it definitely worked for me here. Also, why does this game insist on putting jump scares in dungeons? I hate it hahaha.

I ended up beating chapter 13. Required me to have nice supply of potions and stuff, worked.out well.

Nice dude, glad you got over the hump. Did you end up levelling at all?

Game just crashed when in ch 13
Noctis is talking to Bahumut. I apparently have to do the Ravus boss fight again b/c the game didn't autosave after the fight

This sucks! I didn't experience any crashes thankfully.

Best way to get level 99 after beating the game?

Hmm, everyone seems to just be abusing expericast spells on the bandersnatch. Not really sure what the legit way would be, probably just pushing through each dungeon you haven't tackled yet, going easiest to hard.

Haha, yep I'm going to tackle some of the harder dungeons soon and don't have much cash to stock up on items. I've still got plenty of hunts to do tho so might do those for the cash/XP.

Nice, I'm pretty much at that stage too, I'm only hunt lvl 4 so I think I have tons left to do and the money is quite nice.

KiraXD

Hmm, everyone seems to just be abusing expericast spells on the bandersnatch. Not really sure what the legit way would be, probably just pushing through each dungeon you haven't tackled yet, going easiest to hard.

Experience Foods + Bonus Hotels (i actually only used the 10k 2x one like 3 times total) Story Missions + All Side Quests + Exploration + Hunts... and i hit 99 easily before the end of the game without exploting Expericast (hell i didnt even know it was a thing until i was already lvl 88 lol) but i also spend about 300 hours at that point... lol.

So if you wanna do it legit... it takes time plus grind (i love the grind so its up to your preferences) and those Dungeons are great places to get EXP.

Post-Game... if you just wanna get there fast... The Catoblepas Hunt plus Expericast + EXP food + 10k hotel is what i would have done.)

Really hope they don't increase the level cap Cuz I got rid of all my expericast ingredients

Holy shit raised level cap would be amazing... give me raised level cap and harder difficulties and that NG+ would be worthwhile!

Experience Foods + Bonus Hotels (i actually only used the 10k 2x one like 3 times total) Story Missions + All Side Quests + Exploration + Hunts... and i hit 99 easily before the end of the game without exploting Expericast (hell i didnt even know it was a thing until i was already lvl 88 lol) but i also spend about 300 hours at that point... lol.

So if you wanna do it legit... it takes time plus grind (i love the grind so its up to your preferences) and those Dungeons are great places to get EXP.

Post-Game... if you just wanna get there fast... The Catoblepas Hunt plus Expericast + EXP food + 10k hotel is what i would have done.)

Haha that's cool to know! I'm around level 71 and I'd like to just level as normal as possible to 99 so I'll keep all that in mind!

KiraXD

Haha that's cool to know! I'm around level 71 and I'd like to just level as normal as possible to 99 so I'll keep all that in mind!

yeah my style of gameplay for FF games is usually: Play as thorough as possible the entire time... i always get secondary and side quests done before moving on to story... and i always try letting EXP come naturally through legit grinding. Because I do like to be superpowered by the end of the game, thats where i get my enjoyment... i love being 99, doing mad damage... being able to use the best weapons, have the best spells, basically be invincible by the end regardless of how easy it makes final boss fights... I mean, i spent 337 hours to get to that point... so just because the fight is easy doesnt mean i didnt work my ass off to get there... lol.

holy fuck what do you do in +300 hours?

everything. literally.

lol. No guide either... so i was finding everything on my own and figuring it out.

Ferr986

yeah my style of gameplay for FF games is usually: Play as thorough as possible the entire time... i always get secondary and side quests done before moving on to story... and i always try letting EXP come naturally through legit grinding. Because I do like to be superpowered by the end of the game, thats where i get my enjoyment... i love being 99, doing mad damage... being able to use the best weapons, have the best spells, basically be invincible by the end regardless of how easy it makes final boss fights... I mean, i spent 337 hours to get to that point... so just because the fight is easy doesnt mean i didnt work my ass off to get there... lol.

everything. literally.

lol. No guide either... so i was finding everything on my own and figuring it out.

I see. Well I can see 100 hours only to do the rainbow frogs quests without a guide lol

Majmun

Altissa is beautiful, but also probably the most frustrating rpg city ever to navigate in. Damn who designed this mess.

KiraXD

I see. Well I can see 100 hours only to do the rainbow frogs quests without a guide lol

haha! late nights while my wife and daughter slept with my sound turned way up to hear those fuckers croak (er... the frogs not my wife and daughter... HA)... Frogs and Maps, man... glad that stuff is done.

I should mention too... i still have a LOT left to do post game lol. about 50% legendary weapons done, the rest of the hunts that open up once you finish the game, That big fight with
adamantoise
and the locked parts of all the dungeons... and a few more Ascension Grid unlocks.

This has been my most hyped game since 2006, and i wanted to savor every last second with it. Definitely my GOAT, despite any flaws everyone sees... i fucking love it.

Rush_Khan

After upgrading the Regalia to Type F
I have never made a successful landing. My most recent attempt ended up crashing into the most invisible lamp post.

Ferr986

haha! late nights while my wife and daughter slept with my sound turned way up to hear those fuckers croak (er... the frogs not my wife and daughter... HA)... Frogs and Maps, man... glad that stuff is done.

I should mention too... i still have a LOT left to do post game lol. about 50% legendary weapons done, the rest of the hunts that open up once you finish the game, That big fight with
adamantoise
and the locked parts of all the dungeons... and a few more Ascension Grid unlocks.

This has been my most hyped game since 2006, and i wanted to savor every last second with it. Definitely my GOAT, despite any flaws everyone sees... i fucking love it.

Well, I can see you reaching to 500 hours then lol Have fun! some of the high level hunts are fun combats.

Also thanks to remind me I have the maps to do. Only found one and totally forgot about it!

Really hope they don't increase the level cap Cuz I got rid of all my expericast ingredients
I'd rather see them just give us a way to lower our levels back to 1. I don't think a higher level cap would really help the game a lot.

Faster AP gain and an expanded Ascension grid, on the other hand...

renzolama

Malmalam Thicket is like the intersection of all the biggest combat annoyances I've encountered so far. Wasps (flying enemies in general, but especially wasps), confined spaces, terrible camera angles, chaotic screen effects, etc. I'm certain there's a passage to Blighttown somewhere in here.

Edit: It's not really that bad except a couple of sections, I'm sure it gets worse based on what I've read about later chapters.

Malmalam Thicket is like the intersection of all the biggest combat annoyances I've encountered so far. Wasps (flying enemies in general, but especially wasps), confined spaces, terrible camera angles, chaotic screen effects, etc. I'm certain there's a passage to Blighttown somewhere in here.
Wasps are basically all about upgraded warp strikes in the Ascension grid; airdancing them is risky because they get surprisingly big hitboxes and active frames on their sting, but you can Break them pretty easily with a well-upgraded warp strike and that'll send them plummeting helpless to the ground so you can finish them off.

Also, don't be afraid to use magic on normal enemies that you hate fighting.

JayEH

Haha. Those fucking wasps are still kicking my ass at level 99.

Ambitious

I'm finally gonna start playing this tomorrow. Could someone please point me to a guide with general, spoiler-free tips for the game (e.g. regarding combat, quests, leveling up, missable content etc.)?

Holy shit GAF was not exaggerating about how awful chapter 13 is. Possibly one of the worst chapters/levels in a game I've ever played. Reminds me of Library in Halo CE.

Epcott

Getting each skill to level 10 is the most time consuming. You do not need to do every hunt. Just fish, do as many of the fishing quests as you can, cook a lot, camp a lot, Prompto's camera skill should be at 10 naturally; hunt-wise you have to kill the giant turtle for a trophy... those are really the "hardest" ones. There's no hard trophies, just some grinding and time really.

Thanks for the input. I just need a little more to get my fishing to 10 and I'll be complete with that. I'll need to figure out how to tackle Adamantoise at lvl 69 without resorting to the lvl 99 rare coin tactic.

Top Bottom