• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Durden77

So the skills on the teamwork tree you can unlock for the crew, is that just stuff they do automatically? What does it mean by gain first strike to they just strike quicker? And what determines they warp strike multiplier?

Sagely

Finished the game the other night! I got a bit too emotional and tears were definitely had. I might keep playing this save just for fun, but I'm gonna do a full replay and platinum run once the patches and DLC have arrived (I should have a Pro by then, too).
Finishing it had the same effect on me, I found the ending very effective and it's still in my head a couple of days later. I want to do the same as you and replay it once all the patches and DLC are out, but will platinum this run and make the next one story-only. I played this time in Japanese because...
I went on YouTube to listen to his voice in English out of curiosity and I sorta wish I hadn't, hahahah. It's so strange and just doesn't sound right at all. His Japanese voice however, is faaaantastic.

I really dislike Ignis voice in english version - he has a much better (more fitting) one in japanese original.
Yep. I do like some VAs in English (Noctis, Prompto, Ardyn, Luna) but Ignis and Gladio sound very put-on and it would take some getting used to. I appreciate that Ignis has an English accent but it's too posh - beyond making the point that he's basically a butler - and his actor doesn't naturally sound like that.

I prefer his Japanese VA, since the subtitles aren't taken directly from Japanese and he could really be saying pompous or condescending things but I'm none the wiser. However I want to play in English next time for Noctis' VA and less reading! I think I can get used to Ignis' and Gladio's VA before too long and Dino's accent is hilarious :D Knowing the story beats, I look forward to hearing Noctis' lines in English. His facial performance in some scenes impressed me so much.

Ambitious

Hey guys, I have a noob question here. I have a ton of items in my treasures that I could sell off to make money, but I remember reading in a couple reviews that said there are items later on that you'll need for one reason or another, but the game does nothing to tell you which those are, so you have the potential of selling off items you'll need later.

Is there a resource that can parse out the items I shouldn't sell? I have things like Voretooth Bristles, Helixhorns, and Behemoth Horns that could all make me money, but I'm not sure if they'll prove useful later on, whether through story or crafting.

Any tips?

Dont sell oracle ascenison coins, rare coins, debased bank notes. Otherwise you can sell stuff.

Is that so? None of the horns, shells, feathers etc. are needed for anything?

Type 0's "Colorful - Falling in Love" song fits the P
itioss
dungeon so well because it's all so silly.

This song has been on loop for at least four hours now. :(

So the skills on the teamwork tree you can unlock for the crew, is that just stuff they do automatically? What does it mean by gain first strike to they just strike quicker? And what determines they warp strike multiplier?
Some of them are automatic skills, others are skills you have to equip and tell them to use with the tech bar cost.

I forget what first strike does because even though i have it I rarely let the AI get the first hit.

Warp strike multiplier is based on distance, and if you are too close you can actually do less damage than a regular attack. There are ascension nodes that increase the damage but I haven't picked them up to see by how much yet.

knitoe

Finally, finished grinding for Magitek Suit V2. Mindnumbing boring. Using the easy mode, it took longer to die to get the buff than killing the lvl99 mech. Aimed for 5, but once I stopped, didn't realized I already had 6.

With that out of the way, I decided to do the Pitioss dungeon for the Black Hood accessory. So many times, I wanted to through the controller. Would have been so much more easy if not for the fact the Noctis constantly screw you over by walking off the platforms after you made that perfectly timed jump. Close to the end, I missed a jump and was sent back to the beginning. I was about to cry thinking I needed to do everything again. Thank goodness, I remember the opened shortcut. Took way too many hours. Then, I saw the video of the guy doing it in 1:34 min...

killroy87

Any tips for the best YouTube videos talking about EXP farming? The game is already pretty easy, and I have a few podcasts to listen to, so I'm looking to do some grinding and break it wide open haha.

Any tips for the best YouTube videos talking about EXP farming? The game is already pretty easy, and I have a few podcasts to listen to, so I'm looking to do some grinding and break it wide open haha.

Expericasts and the hotels in Galdin Quay (2x) and Altissia (3x). Go buy the 8k gil double experience meal and rip through a fortress or something and you'll be rolling in it it.

There are some very specific guides out there, but they're not as fun as just going out and doing whatever you want IMO.

komplanen

Anyone know of a good summary or guide about the end game content? I'm currently just doing side quests, hunts and trying to get some AP but I think I'm going to have to get some new weapons soon.

Also can I buy the 10,000gil weapons anywhere after I left
Present
Hammerhead?

Deku Tree

Anyone know of a good summary or guide about the end game content? I'm currently just doing side quests, hunts and trying to get some AP but I think I'm going to have to get some new weapons soon.

Also can I buy the 10,000gil weapons anywhere after I left
Present
Hammerhead?

For starters:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-15

http://www.gosunoob.com/final-fantasy-xv/ffxv-guides-walkthroughs/

Some other more precise guides on specific things can be found by googling and the best ones for certain things seem to be on reddit written by people who play the game a lot.

GeeTeeCee

I spent somewhere in the region of an hour traipsing around hopelessly lost in the
Crestholm Channels
dungeon, severely decreasing my stock of items as I went.

I only entered it to look for a car part.

Fuck that place to the ground. Recommended level 45 my arse.

komplanen

I spent somewhere in the region of an hour traipsing around hopelessly lost in the
Crestholm Channels
dungeon, severely decreasing my stock of items as I went.

I only entered it to look for a car part.

Fuck that place to the ground. Recommended level 45 my arse.

You and me both. That's the only time in the game where I've had to just take the L and load a previous save. I fell in with the naga, couldn't kill her and the combat was blocking my attempts to climb up the ladder.

Well, I just finished the story (with a huge number of side quests completed as well).

What an utterly baffling piece of storytelling this game is. I actually think that the premise and some of the beats they came up with here are really strong and could have made for a great story, but the way they chose to present the plot is just bizarre.

I felt like I was watching the deleted scenes of a film without seeing the actual film itself. A better description might be that the game felt like a spinoff of a FF game that was never made. Like I was following some side story instead of the main plot that was happening in the background.

The more I think about it, this game is very reminiscent of FFXII for me. A game with a huge world to explore with lots of content, a different take on FF combat, and a story that could have been great had it been presented better and had more prominence throughout the game. I actually like both games, but the unfulfilled potential is frustrating with both.

Overall, I found XV to be a good, middle-of-the-road entry in the series. It never reached the heights of series standouts like VI, VII, or IX for me but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than XIII.

komplanen

My favourite "WHAT?" moment was when that one guy in white coat and robot arm
was all of a sudden dead on the floor with a bunch of fucking diary pages littered around him

My favourite "WHAT?" moment was when that one guy in white coat and robot arm
was all of a sudden dead on the floor with a bunch of fucking diary pages littered around him

Haha yep. Ravus is kinda emblematic of the failings of the game from a storytelling perspective, I think. From a premise standpoint, you can see how he could be a great character with all sorts of conflict and complexity. However, the game presents him in such a strange way that the player is mostly confused about what his motivations or plans are. And then the major event that happens to him, which you referenced, occurs offscreen? Why?

Kandinsky

So I heard theres a 40+gb patch for this game?, is it optional?. Asking because I'm pretty sure it didnt dl/install and still can start the game just fine. Also if that's the case, is there a way to force dl said update?.

spidye

Haha yep. Ravus is kinda emblematic of the failings of the game from a storytelling perspective, I think. From a premise standpoint, you can see how he could be a great character with all sorts of conflict and complexity. However, the game presents him in such a strange way that the player is mostly confused about what his motivations or plans are. And then the major event that happens to him, which you referenced, occurs offscreen? Why?

so many things happen off screen or were not given enough time to explore it's infuritating

chapter 13 spoilers:
so Prompto is a MT? cool, let's never talk about this again becuase reasons. OR the emperor has been turned in a semi-random daemon off screen

Durden77

What are the little icons that show up next to enemies names? Usually red or white? I know the resistances in wait mode but these show up in active.

Also is there no way to see what character skills do? Gladiolus is level 4 in survival skill, but I don't know what these skills do.

komplanen

Also is there no way to see what character skills do? Gladiolus is level 4 in survival skill, but I don't know what these skills do.

Press the touch pad and choose 'SKILLS' from the menu. Basically his increased skill level allows him to "find" better items after fights, Ignis learns new recipes and Promto learns new filters to add to his photos.

holy shit chapter 13 really is that bad. Wow.

I had heard from so many people on here and irl about this supposedly horrible chapter before finishing the game last night. For a ways into it I though people were just exaggerating and didn't really find it that awful. But then it just goes on and on and on for what seems like an eternity. I felt it was more tedious than anything. Why was this boring repetitive chapter so much longer than all of the others (at least it was for me)?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fuck Costlemark. Camera got randomly stuck and one of the red Giants got stuck in an eternal black hole loop. Ramuh saved my ass. Tiny corridors. Who the fuck made this dungeon?

knitoe

What is the best strategy to take out the
adamantoise in a reasonable amount of time
?

Currently levels, 68, 64, 63, and 63

I just use warp strike. As you are aware, the further away the target the more damage you do. On his paw, between his finger and thumb, there's a target you can lock on that is actually through his hand. Warp striking that does twice the normal damage. Once in awhile, you may warp through him to the target area. In that case, just run back and repeat.

Ok, so as someone who doesn't really know anything about the Tomb of the Tall (optional Royal Tomb), is there anything I should know before diving in? All I know is that it's apparently pretty tough. My party's at level 84.80,70,79.

The more I play the more I realize that Air Step isn't actually that great and neither are Longswords or Lances. Greatsword is the best weapon and Shields are the best "fast" weapon.

Ok, so as someone who doesn't really know anything about the Tomb of the Tall (optional Royal Tomb), is there anything I should know before diving in? All I know is that it's apparently pretty tough. My party's at level 84.80,70,79.

Level 84 is way overleveled for any royal tomb.

Fuck Costlemark. Camera got randomly stuck and one of the red Giants got stuck in an eternal black hole loop.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that got an eternal black hole. One of the worst bugs in the game.

Costlemark Tower spoiler:
I was at level 85 and let me tell you that fight against 3 red iron giants and a nagani was derinitely not a walk in the park :/

Those fights are traps to punish you for ending up down in that room and it keeps adding enemies the more you go in there, I don't know exactly how the cube puzzles work but it's possible to get to the Royal Tomb without fighting Red Giants.

Deku Tree

Just encountered a bug where the right thumb stick stops working. Noctis stops rotating. It's not my controller because the right thumb stick still works in the map menu.

Tried two different controllers. Both work otherwise.

Can't progress to the next step in castle mark tower because i cant rotate to press X to activate the next block. The x prompt will not appear at my current rotation position.

Been at this for an hour. Almost at the end. Sucks big time.

Do you really have to do the whole dungeon again to activate the JABBERWOCK bounty fight?

Thanks for the tips guys.

When I was in Costlemark two nights ago, I glitched the game during the 3 Red Giant and Snake fight. I couldn't take damage or block. Noctis was the only one alive. Didn't feel like wasting any items so I just killed all then without taking any damage.

I have no idea how I did it. I casted Aterna at one point and kept dodging a ton to try and trigger a summon (Ramuh appeared eventually). I guess maybe the game thought I was still in summon mode, so I could still fight without taking damage.

Going to start this, did that december pro patch ever happen? Not sure what's the best experience on a pro and 4k hdr screen at the moment.

On Ch.7. I'm level 34 but everything seems to be kicking my ass. I keep having to use Elixirs. Am I severely underdeveloped or am I just missing something.

Gui_PT

Those fights are traps to punish you for ending up down in that room and it keeps adding enemies the more you go in there, I don't know exactly how the cube puzzles work but it's possible to get to the Royal Tomb without fighting Red Giants.

I believe it's RNG. If you get to open the correct elevator on your first try you can get to the boss in one go. But I'm not 100% sure that's the case.

Deku Tree

Not sure about that. I've only ever been able to interact with one thing at a time, hence no puzzle. And every guide that I've looked at says that you have to go through all the rooms (no way to skip).

hughesta

Banned
oh my god the hidden dungeon in Duarell

just getting to it is the worst thing in this whole game. Noctis walks off the scaffold no matter what I do and then I have to reset everything I'm getting mad

Deku Tree

oh my god the hidden dungeon in Duarell

just getting to it is the worst thing in this whole game. Noctis walks off the scaffold no matter what I do and then I have to reset everything I'm getting mad

Yeah that is frustrating. I had to do it twice. What I did the second time was just warp up there and then stop touching the controller until the battle is over. Still tough to stay up there ... any little wrong controller push sends you falling.

hughesta

Banned
Yeah that is frustrating. I had to do it twice. What I did the second time was just warp up there and then stop touching the controller until the battle is over. Still tough to stay up there ... any little wrong controller push sends you falling.
finally got it after like 5 tries. Ugh, that was awful.

RiggyRob

Well heyyy there Cindy!

We are seriously impressed with the graphical detail of this game, and I think this may just edge out Witcher 3 as the best looking console game so far.

Quick question - we bought the Deluxe Edition digitally, do we have to wait for a certain point in the story to be able to use all of the bonuses that come with it?

What I did was go down there and fight the Iron Giant and Necromancer and then warp back up and have my boys take out the Ronin and Hundeyes that show up after while not touching the controller (but still using Remedy if Noct gets hit with confusion).

Top Bottom