• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

I don't mind this hunt having a timer, but the teleporting back to the entrance takes the piss. Level 87, might just call it a day and go for the final trophy.

Ricker

Give me my upgraded weapons back Cid lol...I am in Altissia and gave him 3 of the weapons for upgrade...do I have to head back in Hammerhead near the garage where he was sitting to get them back...? if I can get them in Altissia,just a yes or no please ;)

Gui_PT

I don't don't believe any plays the Final Fantasy games for their stories. I've asked so many people what the story to FF7 is and no-one knows or can barely follow it. You can draw so many similarities between the entries to each FF game that saying 13 is terrible but 7 is good almost sounds like nostalgia goggles are being used. Who honestly plays the Final Fantasy games from 7 and on wards for the story? Bro, you're doing it wrong.

Is dis a joke post?

I play every FF for story/music

Deku Tree

I feel like if the three DLCs are going to be just you playing as one of Nocts bros solo then they may not be as good. Wonder if they will have combat.

GeeTeeCee

For fucks sake, I accidentally refused the option to return to the entrance of (Chapter 7 spoilers)
Steyliff Grove
, and now I'm stuck in there until nightfall... why would you design it like this?

Edit: thankfully there's a warp tile that lets you out. That was lucky.

sackninja

For fucks sake, I accidentally refused the option to return to the entrance of (Chapter 7 spoilers)
Steyliff Grove
, and now I'm stuck in there until nightfall... why would you design it like this?

Plus in future if you refuse by accident you can return to the entrance from the map screen in the pause menu.

SeanR1221

About 9 hours in and I'm just doing a ton of side stuff. Way over leveled for chapter 3 lol.

It's way better than I thought it would be and for some reason gives me serious nostalgic vibes from the ps1 days

SeanR1221

I feel like the weapons that kill you as you use them aren't worth using. I basically keep one equipped for the stats boost.

Any weapons I should be looking for early on?

knitoe

Steyliff Grove

When not in combat, you can leave anytime by using the "return to the entrance" option, found on same screen as "Return to last rest place" and "Return to your car".

Anyway, farming for Magiteck Suit V2 is so soul crushing. Using the easy mode and dead buff method. Takes me longer to die and get the buff than killing the boss. Even with only starting with only 1/4 life, the AI keeps on healing. Was going for 8, but now, I'll just settle for 4. I have 3 so only 1 more to go.

sackninja

Question about optional dungeon :

I just did crestholm channels without the Jordmander (sp ) hunt on. If I select to do the hunt now the dungeon will remain cleared and I'll just have to go straight to the boss right?

Deku Tree

Question about optional dungeon :

I just did crestholm channels without the Jordmander (sp ) hunt on. If I select to do the hunt now the dungeon will remain cleared and I'll just have to go straight to the boss right?

No enemies respawn and so do blue shiny random items. But you map development is unlocked and doors etc remain unlocked.

This game is so, so good.

1) the Griffon hunt was pretty damn amazing. I platinumed Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen so I know a good Griffon combat when I see it and FF15's is pretty good. The bastard picked me up and went to the sky... I was thinking as fast as I can and hoped he would drop be for massive damage - yup, he did, so I warped out at the last moment.

2) Rock of Ravatogh
How amazingly good is dungeon? How big of a throwback to all the old FF "Mountain Climb" dungeons found in FF2, 3, 4, 5, 6? Jesus and it has zero loading times!!! When I dropped to the big-ass area with eggs and feathers I was sure a boss was about to happen (Zu?) but not this time. Then I went outside to the Tomb... OMG @ the vista.

3) all the sfx are of superb quality. Breaking an enemy gives you that meaty bone-breaking effect, daemons warping in sound omnious, VO is pretty damn amazing (playing with Japanese VO).

4) the engine is a work of art. Everything mirrors off wet surfaces during rain, everything is reflected on Regalia in real-time, everything casts shadows etc. I am in awe how good this game looks. Nights are super dark (just like Dragon's Dogma nights), sunsets and dawns are super moody, draw distance for the enemies is off the fucking charts!

Can't get enough of this game.

I think my favorite part of the game is how nicely constructed the game's open world is. Every little pathway and natural formation feels like it has thought out into it. It doesn't feel like it was procedurally generated. Even though it's not always chocked full of unique things to do I was often content with taking in the sights of nature alone. Some of this admiration might come from the environments reminding me of my own road trips through places like California, Washington, Oregon, and even Nevada. The "Fantasy based on reality" really came to life for me because it felt like I was experiencing a Final Fantasy taking place in locations similar to those I had actually travelled before. I'm a sucker for nature eye candy and XV delivered superbly.

I'm on my third playthrough doing a lv1 challenge and I'm still thrilled. Even more so now that I have my story expectations in check and can pace myself however I want. Lv1 challenge is making me appreciate my choice of weapons and equipment a lot more now. Food is especially important and I can see it's effects playing a big part in survival. I find grinding AP somewhat relaxing too.

killroy87

Hey guys, I have a noob question here. I have a ton of items in my treasures that I could sell off to make money, but I remember reading in a couple reviews that said there are items later on that you'll need for one reason or another, but the game does nothing to tell you which those are, so you have the potential of selling off items you'll need later.

Is there a resource that can parse out the items I shouldn't sell? I have things like Voretooth Bristles, Helixhorns, and Behemoth Horns that could all make me money, but I'm not sure if they'll prove useful later on, whether through story or crafting.

Any tips?

Philia

Bollocks is that Elder Coeurl hunt only level 65

I just did this hunt. Its a damn bitch. Just like any other damn Coeurl hunts, my only recommendation is FOCUS ON ONE. JUST KEEP AT JUST ONE of them until it dies. Rinse and repeat. I really hate how my bros are just USELESS at most attacks most of the time until we get it low in health to be "promising". :\ Most they do really is serve as a deterrent to the other coeurls while I focused on one.

Coeurls have regen ability and its PITA. My party is in high 70s too.

Hey guys, I have a noob question here. I have a ton of items in my treasures that I could sell off to make money, but I remember reading in a couple reviews that said there are items later on that you'll need for one reason or another, but the game does nothing to tell you which those are, so you have the potential of selling off items you'll need later.

Is there a resource that can parse out the items I shouldn't sell? I have things like Voretooth Bristles, Helixhorns, and Behemoth Horns that could all make me money, but I'm not sure if they'll prove useful later on, whether through story or crafting.

Any tips?

Dont sell oracle ascenison coins, rare coins, debased bank notes. Otherwise you can sell stuff.

komplanen

Can someone answer me this quick question about Chapter 14 and the "end-game":

So I'm right now at the point where I'm in the
Dark World
and I got the
cool King's Clothes
and entered the
capital
. There was a bed right at the start and I'm wondering if I should use that to finish the quests in the open world and level up to 99 etc? There are some level 45+ monsters blocking the roads and I can' kill those, but I can kill the level 30+ mobs that on the main road. I'm kinda afraid to continue because I'd rather not close something I can't come back to and see what's behind he level 40+ monsters.

sackninja

Dark World
and I got the
cool King's Clothes
and entered the
capital
. There was a bed right at the start and I'm wondering if I should use that to finish the quests in the open world and level up to 99 etc? There are some level 45+ monsters blocking the roads and I can' kill those, but I can kill the level 30+ mobs that on the main road. I'm kinda afraid to continue because I'd rather not close something I can't come back to and see what's behind he level 40+ monsters.

If you save now and finish the game without saving again that's the save you will come back to after you beat the game to go back and finish side quests. So you can explore
insomnia
after beating the game.

Deku Tree

Dark World
and I got the
cool King's Clothes
and entered the
capital

Level 45 is the comfortable level to beat the final boss.

komplanen

If you save now and finish the game without saving again that's the save you will come back to after you beat the game to go back and finish side quests. So you can explore
insomnia
after beating the game.

So basically I should just level up to 99, get all trophies and do all the fetch quests now and then complete the game later? I mean I don't have a desire to continue the story right now because it really took a nose dive after chapter 8.

EDIT: Not to beat a dead horse, and ya'll know this already but wtf lmao at the story haha wow this game really was in development hell for 10 years but c'mon.

Ferr986

insomnia
after beating the game.

I don't think saving is a problem. When you finish the game and save you're still located at the last save point, but you can do the post game stuff/ch.15. I'm not sure if the Ch.15 post game content is enabled if you don't beat the final boss.

So basically I should just level up to 99, get all trophies and do all the fetch quests now and then complete the game later? I mean I don't have a desire to continue the story right now because it really took a nose dive after chapter 8.

Better to finish the game now and do the post game stuff after that.

Deku Tree

EDIT: Not to beat a dead horse, and ya'll know this already but wtf lmao at the story haha wow this game really was in development hell for 10 years but c'mon.

A lot of the good end game stuff isn't available until you beat chapter 14. The sidequests available in chapter 13 aren't as good. The final chapter is easy at level 45-50.

So what are the levels listed alongside the food bonuses referring to? I had thought they meant that you had to be a certain level for a particular bonus to take effect but I'm level 1 and am getting them all anyway. Maybe they are just levels to show how good that particular bonus is (i.e.: lv 1 hp bonus is 50 vs a lv 20 which would be in the hundreds).

When you see DeadEye for the first time
drakeohno1.png

sackninja

So what are the levels listed alongside the food bonuses referring to? I had thought they meant that you had to be a certain level for a particular bonus to take effect but I'm level 1 and am getting them all anyway. Maybe they are just levels to show how good that particular bonus is (i.e.: lv 1 hp bonus is 50 vs a lv 20 which would be in the hundreds).

I believe the second explanation is indeed correct.

Wurst

Slogging through Ch 13 atm and I want to finish tonight. Could someone tell me Quick how long Ch 14 is? (in spoilertags maybe)

GeeTeeCee

I'm currently level 48 at Chapter 8 sitting on over 130,000xp in anticipation of arriving in Altissia.

I'm gonna break this game wide open.

GeeTeeCee

Wait 'til you get at least 500k homie

Good to know. The only risk right now is forgetting to re-equip the Nixperience accessory in between xp grinding, because the chapter breaks (and their mandatory tallying up) in this game sometimes come out of nowhere.

I also just cleared out the
Leide military base
. That might have been the most bizarre spread if enemy levels I've seen so far. Spend ten minutes fighting a bunch of < lvl 20 soldiers until the game drops in two lvl 51 mechs (who are comfortably above the recommended level requirement). I used more items in that one fight than I had in the entire 45 hours I'd spent playing the rest of the game.

RedSwirl

Got to the start of Chapter 3. I think this is better than XIII. I think SE did an admirable job of trying to modernize Final Fantasy without completely turning it into another modern western console RPG. I like how it takes some of the old tenets of JRPGs and reinterprets them. I'm not gonna play much farther so I don't know how well it does this compared to FFXII or Xenoblade though.

It's not so great that it's drawing me away from my favorite games right now, but it's better than I thought it would be and has neat ideas I didn't expect.

I still think MGSV takes the crown however when it comes to Japanese developers doing western game design better than most western developers. RE7 might be in the running. With those games and Zelda, it's starting to feel like all the biggest old Japanese game franchises are coming around to a structure more derived from western games, and doing it with unexpectedly good execution. Traditionalists might not like it, but I think these games are preserving their original spirit while modernizing their design.

Falk

that puzzling face
Good to know. The only risk right now is forgetting to re-equip the Nixperience accessory in between xp grinding, because the chapter breaks (and their mandatory tallying up) in this game sometimes come out of nowhere.

Was gonna reply that you probably screwed yourself with chapter-end XP tallies but I totally forgot that item was a thing now.

Deku Tree

Given that you are level 48 in chapter 8 you can safely leave the Nixperience equipped on prompto or iginis and not even notice it.

On the other hand if you really want to equip something else then IIRC every single chapter break ends quite clearly with an "are you sure that you are ready?" question that requires you to choose yes or no. It is a dead giveaway.

Where do you get these items from the Holiday Pack anyway?

They just show up in your inventory, once you install the holiday pack on PSN. IIRC you have to go onto the store and download it for free.

RiggyRob

Pimmsy and I've just started playing this ourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAZme8PsM8&index=1&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o3U5KEXS6gzeRXtJ3S7aDwN

Pimmsy's never played a Final Fantasy game before, and I haven't played one since FF7, so we thought it'd offer a unique perspective on the game.

Just wanted to ask, the OP says it takes 20 hours to complete just the story on its own, so I'm assuming an average playthrough without obsessively completing every sidequest is around 30-40 hours - how long is the postgame, and are there any points-of-no-return we need to watch out for?

Deku Tree

Pimmsy and I've just started playing this ourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAZme8PsM8&index=1&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o3U5KEXS6gzeRXtJ3S7aDwN

Pimmsy's never played a Final Fantasy game before, and I haven't played one since FF7, so we thought it'd offer a unique perspective on the game.

Just wanted to ask, the OP says it takes 20 hours to complete just the story on its own, so I'm assuming an average playthrough without obsessively completing every sidequest is around 30-40 hours - how long is the postgame, and are there any points-of-no-return we need to watch out for?

I did it in around 40 or 45 hours not rushing.

Post game can go on for 100-200 hours if you want. I'm at 100 hours and have a lot still to do.

There are no point of no returns and only one PSN trophy is missable and one meal recipe is missable. Nothing else can be missed as far as I know.

But the game changes in
chapter 9. It becomes linear and no longer open world. However there is a mechanics to allow you to warp back to the open world.

Top Bottom