• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ricker

For the Carnival event I hope you can go there at anytime or at least if you have been to Altissia...? suppose I am in the middle of chapter 12,will I be able to go to the Carnival...? via Umbra or something...?

Hate this damn thing

That Elder Coeurls hunt... Jesus, I hated it.

I tried it once at LVL62 and got utterly destroyed.

Tried it the second time at LVL82 and got utterly destroyed.

The hell... I needed to beat them. I tried again and after using 12 Phoenix Downs and not even flinching half of one Coeurl health bar I just reloaded. I tried to think of a strategy and came up with something like this:

- get into the fight with Armigear full
- pray for a Summon

So in the take #5 I started the battle normally (switched to daggers (Assassins) cause they seemed to work best). After 15 seconds Bros die and I get a Summon sign. Yes! I summon Shiva and she leaves the 3 Elder Coeurls with like 15% HP left. I immediately Armigear and kill the 2 of them. The last one has like sliver of health left so I warp-strike to him and wail on him with daggers. He dies!!! No potions/ Phoenix Downs used!!! My (lucky) strategy worked.

---

I also got kind of lucky with the LVL110 Yojimbo hunt. Of course he kills every on on my team with one strike (sometimes he deals 9999 damage). I get lucky and summon Shiva... only for her to take off 15% of health of him?

WHAT. How strong is he?!?

So my bros die immiediately but I notice he is poisoned (green). And his health comes down little by litte. So I circle around him not attacking SHIT. After 10 minutes he dies, LMAO.

---

I only have 2 Hunts in the game left now:

- Demonwall
- Adamantoise

Plus the ultimate weapons bosses from that old blacksmith. Malbodoom was tough enough, now I need to face Tonberry Knights?!? What :D

Blader

Just started this game the other day, it's alright so far, think I'm still finding my footing with the gameplay mechanics; juggling AP and EXP and equipment and camping vs. motels and so on feels like a much more convoluted way of leveling up compared to previous FF games I've done.

I guess I'm also entering into a grinding phase now; felt like I was leveling up in line with how the story was moving along til now, but I've got the waterfall tomb next on the list and its recommended level (19) is way higher than I had going into it (12-13). Been doing some side quests and hunts for the first time now to build up EXP and bank some gil, but still, kind of annoying that the recommended level just jumped that big. Having to grind all of a sudden has sapped some of the momentum out of the game for me right now.

Hydrus

Beat the game last night. For all the story issues, this is still in my top 3 FF and maybe one of my favorite rpg's ever. Ending was amazing. Don't understand the hate for Ch13. Yea, it was a bit long, but I really enjoyed it and felt like I was playing MGS or something. Really stood out in a good way for me. Super excited for the DLC. I hope someday they release a directors cut of the game that fixes all the story issues/ pacing, all the content that was cut and release it how it was originally intended to be.

Ugh... so the most annoying thing in the Menace dungeons isn't the lack of map but rooms full of bombs or rooms with Elder Coeurls :( :(

I have cleared 2 of them (Grotto, Kreytarch) and I think I had enough of them.

LVL92 by the way.

Vashetti

Banned
Just started Chapter 12. I'm enjoying it, but boy everyone wasn't kidding. They really do throw these last few chapters at you don't they?

Feels like time and money ran out.

Sagely

Beat the game last night. For all the story issues, this is still in my top 3 FF and maybe one of my favorite rpg's ever. Ending was amazing. Don't understand the hate for Ch13. Yea, it was a bit long, but I really enjoyed it and felt like I was playing MGS or something. Really stood out in a good way for me. Super excited for the DLC. I hope someday they release a directors cut of the game that fixes all the story issues/ pacing, all the content that was cut and release it how it was originally intended to be.
Agreed! This is definitely one of my favourites in the genre (and personal favourite in the series just because I like Noctis and his story so much). Other entries feel much more polished but I just love the ideas, themes and characters in this. I'm still playing post-game stuff even though I'm satisfied with how much content I've seen, just because it's a fun game. Will definitely be playing the DLC when it arrives too!

Ugh... so the most annoying thing in the Menace dungeons isn't the lack of map but rooms full of bombs or rooms with Elder Coeurls :( :(

I have cleared 2 of them (Grotto, Kreytarch) and I think I had enough of them.

LVL92 by the way.
I just started the Sealed Grotto today and to begin with I thought: this isn't so bad - combat arena gauntlet, nice idea! But after the 6th Elder Coeurl I'm just bored. I like the principle but I wish they'd change up the enemy types more. If Keycatrich Trench is similarly lacking in enemy variety then I might not bother with them after completing the Grotto. Or tackle one dungeon a week between doing stuff that's actually scenic and fun. Thankfully the carnival event should provide a welcome change of decor.

It feels weird to sing this game's praises in one breath and complain about things the next; but despite all those nitpicks I still really love it. I think it might soon become my most played single-player game.

Meowster

kJlx2H1.jpg
Anyone planning on getting the Piano Collections that comes out next month for this game?

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/435952/final-fantasy-xv-piano-collections-cd

Chapter 13 wasn't THAT bad.

It wasn't great and definitely went for a little too long. But it wasn't as awful as I was expecting from GAF.

ryan13ts

You think Noctis and company will show up in Kingdom Hearts 3.. whenever that ends up coming out? It'd be interesting seeing those characters in that games art style.

I just started the Sealed Grotto today and to begin with I thought: this isn't so bad - combat arena gauntlet, nice idea! But after the 6th Elder Coeurl I'm just bored. I like the principle but I wish they'd change up the enemy types more. If Keycatrich Trench is similarly lacking in enemy variety then I might not bother with them after completing the Grotto. Or tackle one dungeon a week between doing stuff that's actually scenic and fun. Thankfully the carnival event should provide a welcome change of decor.

I did four of them already (Keycatrich, Foiaugh, Grotto, Daurell) and they are uber-boring. There is a set of enemies in eah one of them and they are just repeated ad nauseum till the boss. I will do the Mines today.

Oh, some Rank 9 Hunts - outside the Hunts - are also found in the Menace dungeons and some... other surprises which I will not spoil for you :)

I also noticed you cannot Summon in Menace :( :( so it's pure melee and tons and tons of Phoenix Downs :( :(

Recommended level for Adamantoise? And what weapon to use?

Daggers - just any set of them will do, even the low level 180 ATK ones (it's how I beat him).

Strip any HP Bangles/ +HP gear from Noctis and equip + ATK things on him.

Your bros - except Ignis's Enhance - do not make a difference at all. They can be dead for the whole fight.

It took me 40 minutes to kill him on LVL95: spam B button until Amigear then rinse and repeat. Literally did NOTHING ELSE.

The battle has amazing setup and background (short) lore but mechanically is just a battle of attrition - your thumb vs the B button vs Adamantoise's leg.

To recap: don't bother with anything else but attacking his legs with your random Daggers + Armigear. No warping, no magic, no Gladio's techniques.

Minamu

Recommended level for Adamantoise? And what weapon to use?
I did it 99 but it hardly ever damages you at all, at least for me. Take off your jacket and you'll get a strength boost. There are also items for upping your damage temporarily. Gladio was useless but Prompto's Piercer attack is really good and so is Ignis' Enhancement together with Armiger. I used the Crossblades iirc, but the boss is really hard to actually hit for some reason. If you Armiger the legs, he gets staggered pretty fast and it seemed to me that the eyes are extra sensitive. You should of course eat some crit increasing food as well. I warp attacked him to death mostly and there are plenty of warp points for recovering mp all around as well.

Piercer is good for lowering defenses. I did it in 25 minutes or so.

Daggers - just any set of them will do, even the low level 180 ATK ones(it's how I beat him).

Strip any Bangles/ + HP gear from Noctis and equip + ATK things on him.

Your bros - except Ignis's Enhance - do not make a difference at all. They can be dead the whole fight.

It took me 40 minutes to kill him on LVL95: spam B button until Amigear then rinse and repeat. Literally did NOTHING ELSE.

The battle has amazing setup and background (short) lore but mechanically is just a battle of attrition - your thumb vs the B button.

What's a B button???

Jokes aside, I'm only level 58 now and nearly done with every other trophy, what's the best way to level up? Do all the hunts I've ignored until now? Only at rank 3.

Minamu

What's a B button???

Jokes aside, I'm only level 58 now and nearly done with every other trophy, what's the best way to level up? Do all the hunts I've ignored until now? Only at rank 3.
Mix some magic with rare coins and throw on the special enemy north of hammerhead and then sleep at the 3x hotel in Altissia. I went from 70 to 99 in 3 fights that way. There are detailed guides around here somewhere. It's a fast way, not sure on best, I'd say enjoying the game as intended is the best but hey.

Sagely

I did four of them already (Keycatrich, Foiaugh, Grotto, Daurell) and they are uber-boring. There is a set of enemies in eah one of them and they are just repeated ad nauseum till the boss. I will do the Mines today.

Oh, some Rank 9 Hunts - outside the Hunts - are also found in the Menace dungeons and some... other surprises which I will not spoil for you :)

I also noticed you cannot Summon in Menace :( :( so it's pure melee and tons and tons of Phoenix Downs :( :(
Uggghhhhh. Thanks for the info, I know what to expect now at least. Presumably you have to do each dungeon in one go? If you leave for the surface to take a break and see daylight, the enemies will all respawn?

I'll have to space these out so as not to get bored (I know I could just not do them, but it's still really satsifying to fight and clear up remaining quests). I probably won't bother with Sealed Costlemark but everything else, including high level Hunts, I can see myself completing. And at least outside the Sealed dungeons you can summon \o/

Ricker

Well I am in past Altissia and I am staying there until the event anyway,doing hunts...lets see what happens tonight when it hits.

putermcgee

I actually didn't hate chapter 13 anywhere near as much as I expected to, some parts were really good, it just was a bit too long.
You should check the S-E careers page, they'd love to have you on board.

My wife has been working her way through the dungeon-in-a-dungeons (are those the menace dungeons?), and it's incredible how anyone manages to put themselves through even one. It's literally just room after room of repeating monsters. She's also expressed her intentions to get as close to 100% as she can, doing all quests and dungeons except the hidden one you need the car for... we played that dungeon for a couple hours and left; there's just nothing that could possibly be worth all that frustration.

So now I'm interested in playing A King's Tale. We didn't pre-order the game, but did buy it at Game Stop. Unfortunately, that means we didn't get a code for it. Is there any way to get a code for a reasonable price?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Ultimate weapons in this game don't have a unique weapon model, but you spent all that time modelling each cooked meal.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEENIX

StoneFox

Beat the game last night to make room for KH2.8.

Gotta say, it had some missteps, but XV was ultimately an enjoyable experience. I think I'll buy the season pass :D

Minamu

I did Pitioss today, took 2.5 hours. Some frustration and I used a video guide for two small parts but overall a pretty nice dungeon. There were some shortcuts near the start I never managed to open, how do you do that? Any good items in there?

Trojita

What's the best way to farm AP? Still the shield bash + monster whistle in the area near Hammerhead?

What's the best way to accrue gil post game besides hunts?

I might end up skipping the Menace Dungeons. You guys are making it sound like a pain, and some of the monsters are already hard enough. The Tonberry Knights mission was terrible. I didn't realize you could cheese it using
the ring
. I still have one more legendary weapon quest left and I'm not sure if I should level even more or wing it.

What's the best way to farm AP? Still the shield bash + monster whistle in the area near Hammerhead?

I might end up skipping the Menace Dungeons. You guys are making it sound like a pain, and some of the monsters are already hard enough. The Tonberry Knights mission was terrible. I didn't realize you could cheese it using
the ring
. I still have one more legendary weapon quest left and I'm not sure if I should level even more or wing it.

That's still the best AP method.

The best way to get gil is to play the 10k Justice Monsters machine in Altissia. If you get 99 chests you get an item that you can sell for 500,000 gil. I did that twice and still have like 200k gil to spare, and that's after buying all of the car decals/parts, eating at every restaurant to get the recipes, and buying a ton of healing items.

When you factor in that 400,000 gil went to that 300k dish in Altissia, and 100k for an ingredient to make it. You can probably get by just fine getting one of the items from the machine.

What time today does the patch/festival go live?

8pm EST, 5pm Pacific. I think it's different for outside North America

Trojita

That's still the best AP method.

The best way to get gil is to play the 10k Justice Monsters machine in Altissia. If you get 99 chests you get an item that you can sell for 500,000 gil. I did that twice and still have like 200k gil to spare, and that's after buying all of the car decals/parts, eating at every restaurant to get the recipes, and buying a ton of healing items.

When you factor in that 400,000 gil went to that 300k dish in Altissia, and 100k for an ingredient to make it. You can probably get by just fine getting one of the items from the machine.

8pm EST, 5pm Pacific. I think it's different for outside North America

I only played up to 50 chests on regular Justice Monsters 5. Was soooo boring. At least I'll know now what to do. I hate it when you want chests but those don't spawn. Wonder how long that will take me, I definitely want to get two like you. Thanks!

That AP Farm suckssssssssss though. I still need so much stuff, getting the limit breaks especially feel like an untouchable goal.

I only played up to 50 chests on regular Justice Monsters 5. Was soooo boring. At least I'll know now what to do. I hate it when you want chests but those don't spawn. Wonder how long that will take me, I definitely want to get two like you. Thanks!

That AP Farm suckssssssssss though. I still need so much stuff, getting the limit breaks especially feel like an untouchable goal.

If you get the method down it should take you about an hour to an hour and a half depending on RNG. I've done the thing about 6-7 times (the same item you sell for 500k lets you craft 50 of a limit break spell, so I've done that a lot). I always put on podcasts while I run it.

the ring

Generally everything dies to Poison in this game. Assassin's Daggers are your friends for super high level hunts. Yes, that includes Tonberry Knights.

The last legendary weapon hunt is a bitch, though. I used around 10 Phoenix Downs during it only reviving Noctis, poisoning the boss with AD and executing Amigear. Rinse and repeat, resurrect when necessary. Don't bother with bros, they die too fast.

That boss is LVL120 by the way :O

Trojita

Generally everything dies to Poison in this game. Assassin's Daggers are your friends for super high level hunts. Yes, that includes Tonberry Knights.

The last legendary weapon hunt is a bitch, though. I used around 10 Phoenix Downs during it only reviving Noctis, poisoning the boss with AD and executing Amigear. Rinse and repeat, resurrect when necessary. Don't bother with bros, they die too fast.

That boss is LVL120 by the way :O

I take it you can't just take the magic only buff that gives you 0 str and flare bomb the shit out of him?

Minamu

I never found Daurell Caverns, nice place! Liked the colors. Funny how a lvl 17 enemy could insta-kill Ignis at lvl 99 though :lol

I never found Daurell Caverns, nice place! Liked the colors. Funny how a lvl 17 enemy could insta-kill Ignis at lvl 99 though :lol
It's funny how that dungeon's level recommendation is like 25, but as soon as you walk in you're greeted by two level 41 Necromancers. Like yeah, no.

I just beat the game and really had a blast.

I've also never purchased a season pass. Is it worth it for this game? Season passes basically mean I'm entitled to all future DLC?

mike6467

So...carnival dlc. I'm only in chapter 3 and don't have a ton of time to play the next few weeks. Am I screwed? I was really excited to check it out, I'm not sure how far I am from Altissia, but the passport in my inventory doesn't seem to give me any options, so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. I haven't seen any estimate for how long it'll be running either.

Frustrating to see something that's only running for a limited time walled off, when I (and others) waited to play the game until they got the additional story and chapter 13 patch out. Unless I'm missing something, hopefully I am...

So...carnival dlc. I'm only in chapter 3 and don't have a ton of time to play the next few weeks. Am I screwed? I was really excited to check it out, I'm not sure how far I am from Altissia, but the passport in my inventory doesn't seem to give me any options, so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. I haven't seen any estimate for how long it'll be running either.

Frustrating to see something that's only running for a limited time walled off, when I (and others) waited to play the game until they got the additional story and chapter 13 patch out. Unless I'm missing something, hopefully I am...

I believe it runs until February 20th. They also said you should be able to access the Carnival at any point in the story after you get the Car, and that it's separate from the main story, so you should be fine :)

I've also never purchased a season pass. Is it worth it for this game? Season passes basically mean I'm entitled to all future DLC?

Hard to say on the season pass, it's going to come with a DLC for each of the bros, most likely you know where these are going to fit into the story for each of them. I'm hoping they're taking the time to flesh out the unused areas of Altissia, and the second continent, because they have a lot of potential to build something awesome there if they push for making cool open world sections more like the first half of the game, but my guess is they will be more story focused.

Besides that it will include some kind of multiplayer expansion, as well as whatever is included in the "Booster pack+" which I assume will end up just being some more weapons/hunts.

Also looking at their response after the game was released, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up releasing more DLC that is not included in the season pass later on. I'm holding out hope for an Ardyn-centric expansion pack about his origin story.

Ricker

Yes...nobody is sure if it will be worth it though but the companion DLC's could be good...like when Gladio goes away for a bit in the main game and comes back bruised...I took a chance and grabbed it,hope they are lenghty.

ElfArmy177

Not loving this so far.... I guess I just don't understand it and I've played every mainline final fantasy... For example... Trying to kill some stupid beast called deadeye. It tells me to use fire to ignite barrels? How? The game never explained any of this shit and just throws me in a boss battle assuming I know wtf it's talking about with using fire?

Top Bottom