• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

LiK

Y'all need to not be this lazy and run more instead or going around with the comfy Regalia.

I leveled up the skill naturally, just by running to places instead of car/Chocobo. I still think it takes too long though. The other skills are muuuch faster.

Totally unnatural to run around when you have the Regalia and Chocobos to get to destinations faster. It's pretty dumb how long it takes to level up compared to the other skills even with grinding. I think Chocobos should've been allowed to rank it up.

Geg

I actually got Gladio up to level 9 survival just by playing normally. He's actually at a higher level than Ignis's cooking right now.

Noct is forever stuck at fishing level 2 though

Is no one bothered by the product placement in this game?

I contemplated making a thread but I haven't played the game, I've just been watching my friend play it. It just sucks out the fantasy of it all for me. Lemme get in my AUDI and get some CUP NOODLEZ.

Shit is so garish.

Bladelaw

Ok I finished chapter 9 and the first dungeon on chapter 10.
WHAT THE FUCK. That Leviathan fight was some Bayonetta/Devil May Cry baddassery. Not sure what to do about Ignus. Luna's death felt cheap and at this point it's almost a running FF gag to off 1/2 of the love story. It still bummed me out but I kind of knew it was coming.

Question regarding Royal Arms:
is it possible or required to get them all before finishing the game? If it's not required, but possible then I want to do that before I go much further.

LiK

I contemplated making a thread but I haven't played the game, I've just been watching my friend play it. It just sucks out the fantasy of it all for me. Lemme get in my AUDI and get some CUP NOODLEZ.

Shit is so garish.

Haha, we've complained about it often enough. We've simply accepted how stupid it was.

Geg

Shit is so garish.

The AUDI is only in the movie I think.

And the cup noodle thing is hilarious specifically because of how garish it is

Zakalwe

Banned
At 66 hours and level 83, I completed the game last night. I'll post some thoughts, spoilers clearly marked.

FFXV is undoubtedly a game of two parts, I hesitate to say 'two halves' because I spent 55 hours in the first part *location spoiler, don't read until you pass chapter 6*
(specifically, Lucis)
and just over 10 hours on the events afterwards. If I didn't know any better I'd go so far as to say this before and after were designed by completely different teams! The first part is the open-world structure, in which the plot takes a back seat (but is still very much there!) and the second part trades the open-world format for something entirely more linear (not unlike FFXIII) with a stronger focus on the plot.

I am in two minds about this. Taken on its own, I don't like how the second part develops, and it is clear to me this is where much of the content of the game would have been taken out. I kept asking myself, why can't I explore these places? *location spoilers, up to chapter 12*
Altissia is beautifully detailed, yet the map is much bigger than any place we can go to, Tenebrae? We visit only the station in the outskirts, with the city looming in the background, the whole Imperial region (and city) are entirely linear (literally on tracks for much of it)
- here just some examples of what I thought were missed opportunities. Had the game in the second part offered both the stronger focus on plot, and the exploratory freedom of the first part, it would be almost faultless in my mind.

The plot beats in this second part are brilliant, so many awesome set pieces and memorable encounters *endgame spoilers, don't read if you haven't completed the story!*
specifically, the whole of chapter 14 was great, the Ifrit fight was probably the high point, jaw-dropping stuff! I also loved the ending, and the little touch with the logo was perfect
The game also offered the series's best villain since the likes of Seymour in FFX, and the overall lore (concerning the villain and his motives), while sometimes a little ambiguous, is really interesting and generally well realised.

If the game was constructed entirely like the second part (like FFXIII is), my overall opinion would be much lower, but because the first part offered such a wealth of content, and cleverly formed this strong character narrative between the four guys (without showing it in cutscenes), I really experienced this beautiful journey, where the second part of the game served as the payoff to that journey. So my advice to anyone playing (or replaying) the game would really be to take your time in that first part, explore that region to the full, because once you leave, the game is designed specifically with the purpose to catapult you to the climax, there's very little room for respite and distraction (unless you return to that region, of course).

Strengths:
- The interactions between the four guys
- The game's art design, the OST
- The overall world design, the freedom to explore in the first region
- The battle system, when it works, is probably the best in the series
- The unconventional plot exposition (the newspapers, the radios); many people did not like this, but I really enjoyed finding out about the world and its events in this manner
- The villain
- The lore (I really liked the idea of the Six etc.)
- The ending

Weaknesses:
- Linearity (plot in place of freedom in the second part)
- Amazing OST, but is it used well enough? My least favourite track also happened to be played 90% of the time (the music in the outposts/gas stations etc)
- The camera; in tight spaces or forested places I often couldn't see what was happening on screen
- The Astrals look absolutely incredible, it's a shame though, that we can't see more of them
- Cut content is really quite obvious (both plot and otherwise), the narrative jumped around a bit at times (specifically, when we see the black screen with 'X days/weeks later' which was a great shame, though what we do get is still great
- There is room to develop side characters more, though again, what we do see of them is good, I just want more!

Overall I really loved XV, it delivered for me, and really has made me hopeful for the future of the franchise. I still have all of the post-game content to explore, and I will probably check out Kingsglaive (I enjoyed Brotherhood). I also look forward to some of the DLC, I hope they will flesh out some of the world even further (and maybe fix a few of the technical issues). It's hard to rank the game in comparison to other FF titles, as it's so different, but I do know that it's ten times the game XIII was. Had it been released last generation, it would be up there with Xenoblade as my game of the generation.

Good write up BD. I agree on almost all points save for the linear nature of the second half being a downside.

I think linear design can really be a huge benefit to story telling, and I think this game embraces the best of both worlds... but it fumbles the linear parts in that the story is incomplete/poorly paced and c13 has issues.

I think the additional areas you wanted being in the game would be ideal, but as prelude to a tighter final third (more comfortable calling it this than a second half as your explained) with linear levels.

IE: there should be more exploration before we get put on rails. Open up the other cities, use the opportunity to add quests/encounters that flesh out certain characters more, etc...

It's absolutely my GOTY, but it's incredibly flawed in a few significant ways. I can only imagine how great this could have been had they managed to flesh it out like this.

Tyaren

Just beat the Malboro yesterday. Holy crap, it took so much longer because I couldn't understand what the game was wanting me to do.

Had the same happen to me. ;) Each time they told me to regroup outside the combat zone I did and I wondered why nothing happened. I ruined all my strongest magic bombs needlessly in this fight...

Or the cat and fish quest when the cook literally told me: You have to catch another fish and not to just give her the fish that I already had.

Zakalwe

Banned

Shit is so garish.

There has been a thread I think, or at least one imnspired by this. It's also been discussed a lot here and in the previous OT and spoiler thread.

People are put off by it, but some also find that the absurd nature of the quest itself compounded by Gladio's ridiculous OTT commitment makes it more hilarious than off-putting.

The other stuff like VW dresses, the car, and the camping gear really don't bother me at all. I barely notice them .

Good write up BD. I agree on almost all points save for the linear nature of the second half being a downside.

I think linear design can really be a huge benefit to story telling, and I think this game embraces the best of both worlds... but it fumbles the linear parts in that the story is incomplete/poorly paced and c13 has issues.

I think the additional areas you wanted being in the game would be ideal, but as prelude to a tighter final third (more comfortable calling it this than a second half as your explained) with linear levels.

IE: there should be more exploration before we get put on rails. Open up the other cities, use the opportunity to add quests/encounters that flesh out certain characters more, etc...

It's absolutely my GOTY, but it's incredibly flawed in a few significant ways. I can only imagine how great this could have been had they managed to flesh it out like this.

Thanks.
Yeah, I agree really. I don't have a problem with linearity in itself (heck, all FF games are linear to an extent) but the frustration is because I can see so much room for what could have been - I would have been happy with linear narrative in those later sections but with the possibility to step off the tracks and explore. In those later chapters we got FFXIII linearity (bad!) instead of FFXIII-2 linearity (good!), to use recent examples.

Overall I am really happy though. It also makes me very excited for FFVIIR.

Ruff

I don't mind a little IRL brand naming in games but centering a whole quest around noodles and having 95% of the NPC's in altissia shout out "OMG NEW VIVIANNE WESTWOOD LETS SEE IT" whenever I entered earshot (The quest itself was to go see it in a store with her name above the dress in huge letters, lol) was a little too much for my tastes.

LiK

The Cup Noodles sidequest that came outta no where during the game was the most egregious. The Cup Noodles truck was bad enough but then they made an actual sidequest promoting the brand like an ad was pretty bad.

daveo42

Banned
The only product placement that felt way out of place and in your face was the Cup Noodles. It wouldn't be all that bad if it was just the vendor in Lestallum, but the dialogue and quest push it front and center. The Coleman stuff fits because camping. The American Express stuff can easily be overlooked and is always just a small white and blue square on gas stations and a few stores.

How long did it take those of you who levelled Gladios survival naturally to hit max?

I'm at 95 hours (wasted some of that in menus) and the skill's at 9.4. I tend to run around quite a lot.

I'm actually at 9.6 at around 65hrs and haven't needlessly run around. I did do a lot of early game running before you unlocked chocobos and I've made it a point to only pull them out when my destination is more than .25 miles away, so it's worked out well for me.

Fishing has been a bit harder since it sucks up daylight. That liege of the lake quest tho by the Vesperpool easily shot me up 4 levels. Still suck at lvl 7 tho...I'll make it to 10 some day.

Eylos

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324438

Consensus is that the Cup Noodles one is great
I want ffxvi to have a doritos quest where we face the doritos Pope :(

d07.png

Plz square

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks.
Yeah, I agree really. I don't have a problem with linearity in itself (heck, all FF games are linear to an extent) but the frustration is because I can see so much room for what could have been - I would have been happy with linear narrative in those later sections but with the possibility to step off the tracks and explore. In those later chapters we got FFXIII linearity (bad!) instead of FFXIII-2 linearity (good!), to use recent examples.

Overall I am really happy though. It also makes me very excited for FFVIIR.

When it was announced that VIIR it would be sharing XV's style of combat (more action oriented) I was hugely put-off. I was one of the annoying "turn-based or bust" purists you've no doubt encountered.

This game really made me eat crow on that, and I couldn't be more excited for VIIR.

LiK

I'm actually at 9.6 at around 65hrs and haven't needlessly run around. I did do a lot of early game running before you unlocked chocobos and I've made it a point to only pull them out when my destination is more than .25 miles away, so it's worked out well for me.

Fishing has been a bit harder since it sucks up daylight. That liege of the lake quest tho by the Vesperpool easily shot me up 4 levels. Still suck at lvl 7 tho...I'll make it to 10 some day.

If you fish and clear out the entire pond per day, that's almost an entire rank, iirc. It went by pretty quick for me. It was the first skill trophy I got. Prompto was stuck at rank 9 until I grinded the rest out with Snapshot.

daveo42

Banned
If you fish and clear out the entire pond per day, that's almost an entire rank, iirc. It went by pretty quick for me. It was the first skill trophy I got. Prompto was stuck at rank 9 until I grinded the rest out with Snapshot.

Really? He capped at 10 for me first and about 10 hours before Ignis capped. I actually got Ignis capped in Chapter 8. Did you not rest every night?

Edit: Anyone else kinda feel like the cap of 150 photos sucks?

Speaking of camping (chapter 10):
I loved the tonal shift at camp during this chapter. Not even Cup Noodles could make that bad situation any better. Not. Even. Cup. Noodles.

Edit2: Doesn't the survival skill go faster with combat included?

Anung

Un Rama
Grinding some fishing. Seriously giving up on this Gladious Survival shit for the time being. Just ran a lap of the map and the meter barely moved.

Hope they patch this to make it a little more forgiving. Seems like they're artificially lengthening the game.

Lexxism

Question regarding Royal Arms:
is it possible or required to get them all before finishing the game? If it's not required, but possible then I want to do that before I go much further.
No, it's not required. I finished chapter 14 without having the remaining 6 royal arms.

LiK

Really? He capped at 10 for me first and about 10 hours before Ignis capped. I actually got Ignis capped in Chapter 8. Did you not rest every night?

Edit: Anyone else kinda feel like the cap of 150 photos sucks?

Speaking of camping (chapter 10):
I loved the tonal shift at camp during this chapter. Not even Cup Noodles could make that bad situation any better. Not. Even. Cup. Noodles.

Edit2: Doesn't the survival skill go faster with combat included?

Yep, rested whenever during normal gameplay. I never grinded until post game.

Survival skill only works when running around from what I know. I don't believe combat counts.

Severance

I went through chapter 13 and I really wanted to like it. Actually I would've if it wasn't such a buggy mess. Lets see..

in the beginning, half the Magitek axemen could not hit me. I'd stand still and.. Nothing.

Then, after the first encounter with Foras, he would spawn in the following hallways frozen with some kind of graphical glitch. I'd just be stuck in combat the whole time. Couldn't pick up some items or rest and save.

After you rescue Prompto and reunite the whole gang, he gets you in that room and a fight ensues. He got himself stuck in that room behind the computers or whatever and didn't do anything the whole fight. I used his technique and got myself stuck in the same spot until. Luckily I squeezed out.

After defeating Ravus, I was stuck fighting the mass hordes of demon that spawn. None of the dialog to get Noctis moving to the crystal occurred. Not knowing what to do, I fought everything for a good 10 minutes blowing every megaphoenix and megapotion I had until giving up. Restart the encounter, everything worked fine right away..

Then the final cut scene with Ardyn and Noct had some sound issues. Noct's grunts and gasps were so loud I couldn't hear Ardyn. It was awkward. I don't play with subtitles and that was the only time I couldn't make out the dialog. Had to watch it on YouTube after.

Wow.. That's a lot. Must've been one of the last sections they put together because no one tested it apparently. It's a shame, because I feel I would genuinely like the chapter if it was you know, completed.

I went through chapter 13 and I really wanted to like it. Actually I would've if it wasn't such a buggy mess. Lets see..

in the beginning, half the Magitek axemen could not hit me. I'd stand still and.. Nothing.

Then, after the first encounter with Foras, he would spawn in the following hallways frozen with some kind of graphical glitch. I'd just be stuck in combat the whole time. Couldn't pick up some items or rest and save.

After you rescue Prompto and reunite the whole gang, he gets you in that room and a fight ensues. He got himself stuck in that room behind the computers or whatever and didn't do anything the whole fight. I used his technique and got myself stuck in the same spot until. Luckily I squeezed out.

After defeating Ravus, I was stuck fighting the mass hordes of demon that spawn. None of the dialog to get Noctis moving to the crystal occurred. Not knowing what to do, I fought everything for a good 10 minutes blowing every megaphoenix and megapotion I had until giving up. Restart the encounter, everything worked fine right away..

Then the final cut scene with Ardyn and Noct had some sound issues. Noct's grunts and gasps were so loud I couldn't hear Ardyn. It was awkward. I don't play with subtitles and that was the only time I couldn't make out the dialog. Had to watch it on YouTube after.

Wow.. That's a lot. Must've been one of the last sections they put together because no one tested it apparently. It's a shame, because I feel I would genuinely like the chapter if it was you know, completed.

Wow, that's such a shame.

I had some weird bugs earlier on in the game, would have been pretty upset if it happened here.

This is definitely the buggiest FF I've played.

Zakalwe

Banned
Finally watching Kingsglaive (I wanted to get a full sense of what the game offered independently in terms of story before watching it), and while i'm very impressed with how much XV got me invested in the four bros, KG is reminding just how much I missed higher end cutscenes in a FF game.

It's also pretty good 23 minutes in, better than I expected it to be so far.

Saying that, I think keeping the KG story itself separate was a good move. The game was more about the bros and how the dealt with being caught up in this overarching narrative.

If the game had some a better job at padding out what we got it might not even have mattered that so much happens off screen.

I'm keeping my expectations in hard check for the story content updates, but I'm secretly hoping they do something we don't edpext.

tookhster

The biggest thing that frustrates me in this game is standing over an item and pressing X only to have Noctis jump all over the place. If I see the prompt for "pick up", the game should know I'm pressing X to pick it up, not jump. It's happened way too many times.

And I thought people were just exaggerating when I heard about how bad Chapter
was, but man fuuuuuuuuucccck this chapter so hard. If I were to rate this game right now I'd drop my score from like an 8 to a 6 just because of these last few chapters. It's like a whole different game. I'm baffled.

Is there a list of camping events? Which areas for example.

Not sure on the areas, but I remember one with Prompto (taking a photo with Catoblepas), another with Prompto (in which he wants to take some stylish shots of Noct, I believe it is on the coast at Caem), one with Ignis (in which you have to help him cook), one with Gladio (running along the beach at Galdin Quay), another with Gladio (picking flowers for Iris, though this might be story related?), and then the one near Hammerhead, also with Prompto.

Zakalwe

Banned
The biggest thing that frustrates me in this game is standing over an item and pressing X only to have Noctis jump all over the place. If I see the prompt for "pick up", the game should know I'm pressing X to pick it up, not jump. It's happened way too many times.

And I thought people were just exaggerating when I heard about how bad Chapter
was, but man fuuuuuuuuucccck this chapter so hard. If I were to rate this game right now I'd drop my score from like an 8 to a 6 just because of these last few chapters. It's like a whole different game. I'm baffled.

Japense/rest of world control differences. It's stupid.

You can manage the issue a little by simply holding x after your initial jump. This will allow you to auto interact with as many prompts as required.

Very good for picking up groups of items or climbing on chocobos.

With all the constant story changes, no CG cutscenes is understandable.

Of course, still makes me sad though.

Mcdohl

I've been on board with this game since day 1.

But man, what an utter disappointment Ch9 was.

I thought having little/no story was fine, but completely avoiding to develop characters is really affecting the game.

Ch9 has soured my so far great experience.

It's also SE's fault for hyping us with the
E3 2013 trailer, and I felt like we ended with a poor man's version of it. Hell the trailer itself was more hype and dramatic than ch9. Also, I did not feel shit for Luna 'dying' and the Levi battle looked cool but played like ass. Beautiful FMV though.

Ruff

With all the constant story changes, no CG cutscenes is understandable.

Fair point. There are like 3 small CG scenes in the whole game and even then they had to sneakily change the character's costume during a cutaway during gameplay and hope no one notices because it's different in one of the pre-renders.

Mesharey

I saw 2, one in the vesper lake with gladiolus, and one with ignis on the Camp site North of hammerhead
Thanks I did these, there's also one South of petrol station once you go to Duscae and one near Golden Quay.

I want a list if there is.

Blazing Darkness
Thanks!

tookhster

I've been on board with this game since day 1.

But man, what an utter disappointment Ch9 was.

I thought having little/no story was fine, but completely avoiding to develop characters is really affecting the game.

Ch9 has soured my so far great experience.

It's also SE's fault for hyping us with the
E3 2013 trailer, and I felt like we ended with a poor man's version of it. Hell the trailer itself was more hype and dramatic than ch9. Also, I did not feel shit for Luna 'dying' and the Levi battle looked cool but played like ass. Beautiful FMV though.

I felt the same way during that chapter.
I've been waiting every day since that trailer to play that whole linear Leviathan section.

I get it, the game changed once Nomura left. But there was no need to take out that setpiece when the Leviathan scene is actually in the final game, it's just a half-assed version of what we saw in the trailer. Seemed like a cheap budget cut or something.

Alright so looks like best course of action when running through dungeons and sealed doors is to make sure to go to the nearest pitstop and gather any hunts associated with any of the monsters at their locations. I wanted to be sure that I wasnt setting myself up for unnecessary revisits

That doesn't work. You gotta finish any dungeon first and then the hunt becomes available usually involving killing the same monster but a higher level version of it. Obviously, it's good to revisit the dungeon immediately after so you don't have to beat all the monsters along the way. Also, none of the 102 available hunts requires you to kill something behind the sealed doors.

I'm hunt level 10.

RangerX

Banned
I'm trying to upgrade my engine blade, circular saw and drain lance but Cid keeps saying
"stand up straight boy" or some other bollox and I can't upgrade my weapons. I have all the mats. Can anyone help?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm trying to upgrade my engine blade, circular saw and drain lance but Cid keeps saying
"stand up straight boy" or some other bollox and I can't upgrade my weapons. I have all the mats. Can anyone help?

You probably have a weapon bejng upgraded already. It takes time and activities. Go and complete a few hunts/quests/events then sleep and you'll get a call from Cid.

The system really could use a proper menu.

Top Bottom