• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Zakalwe

Banned
Not sure why people are finding Coeurls an issue. Been able to avoid their aoe due to the tell and it seems to keep my party alive enough to deal with them smoothly every time.

Bombs are much more annoying when you mess up your priority and let one explode.

valkyre

There's some speculations that some of the blacked out area's will be opened in the expansion. But extra quests and hunts are a 100% safe bet.

Are we talking about questlines?

Sorry for sounding a bit specific, just wondering if we have any sorts of timeframe for these.

I mean I was expecting the newly announced patch that is coming on 22 to feature some interesting stuff and all i see are some items, a carnival event and some pretty ridiculous attires :/

I was expecting some quests at least. (and a Pro patch)

It's the camera and the useless AI of your team mates that ruin the combat. I hated my companions because of this.

I would still prefer turn based over this though, but that's what I grew up with.

I've played a lot of action RPGs where you have little control over the party, and I've felt like XV handles it pretty well. I haven't run into situations where they were making the game harder to play, which is the biggest issue with AI helpers. It's far better than a lot of other games (Ni no Kuni, I'm looking at you).

Are we talking about questlines?

Sorry for sounding a bit specific, just wondering if we have any sorts of timeframe for these.

I mean I was expecting the newly announced patch that is coming on 22 to feature some interesting stuff and all i see are some items, a carnival event and some pretty ridiculous attires :/

I was expecting some quests at least. (and a Pro patch)

I would guess the meaty DLC stuff will take around 3-6 months to come out.

JoeNut

just done the deadeye hunt, man it was cool as hell. the scale of the monster (and monsters in general) is just everything i have ever wanted from a FF game.

ffvorax

Tried to defeat the Naglfar before, I was half life but it was taking too much... so I'm going to try and start again... lv60.

Maybe I should try to use some magic & royal weapons? Also had a summon help me but he didn't gave him much damage... O_O

valkyre

I saw a video of a guy using flare magic, I know how to produce the Flare spell but what caught my attention was that he had like 50 flares casts available from this single spell.

How do you get so many casts of a given spell?

I thought most were like 5 casts using the catalysts.

Some are better situationally like Sword of the Father, but no I don't think so.

I got the Ultima blade but I fail to see how it is better than Sword of the Father. With Ultima I am doing less damage than Father's sword. Father sword gives a lot of strength.

Manu

Navyth's quests are kinda bullshit. At fishing lvl 7 it's still impossible to catch the Vesper Gar, which is his lvl 28 quest.

lawtowler

I'm on chapter 7, 25 hours in. Level 40.

I really enjoy the game, it has plenty of flaws but none that make it unplayable. The good is still outweighing the bad at this point for me, however it doesn't feel like what Final Fantasy means to me.

I like being able to listen to the old FF tracks whilst driving the Regalia around but it mainly just reminds me of what I'm not playing. Hearing some HUGELY nostalgic tracks like Fisherman's Horizon, Rose of May, You're Not Alone, J-E-N-O-V-A, Movement In The Green etc and not being in those worlds is starting to have a negative effect on my experience.

I love the game as a huge open world RPG but not as a FF.

Even as an open world RPG it pales in comparison to Witcher 3.

I hope Square Enix take note of what Capcom are doing with RE7 when they start working on Final Fantasy XVI. They need to go back to their roots IMO.

Zakalwe

Banned
I saw a video of a guy using flare magic, I know how to produce the Flare spell but what caught my attention was that he had like 50 flares casts available from this single spell.

How do you get so many casts of a given spell?

I thought most were like 5 casts using the catalysts.

I got the Ultima blade but I fail to see how it is better than Sword of the Father. With Ultima I am doing less damage than Father's sword. Father sword gives a lot of strength.

The air combo on Ultima is sometimes more useful, and it sometimes hits harder. It depends on the enemy. Base attack on Ultima is around 200 points higher.

I use both.

Yes.

Called Balmung and you can find it in the Steyliff-ruins after Chapter 15. Has 248 ATT. Ultima has 208

Ultima has 364.

pLow7

The air combo on Ultima is sometimes more useful, and it sometimes hits harder. It depends on the enemy. Base attack on Ultima is around 200 points higher.

I use both.

Ultima has 364.

No, it has 364 when YOU equip it ( Stat is boosted by accessoires or Royal Weapons ).
Balmung would have 404 ;)

Valonquar

Because I forgot to sync trophies on my secondary PS4, I have to redo chapter 6,7 and "summon one of the six for the first time" trophies to get platinum... holding out hope that the NG+ patch will fix this for me without going through any hassle, since I loaned out my 2nd PS4 to a friend now.

Zakalwe

Banned
Seems I've found two similar bugs. Prompts for actions not appearing.

Post game level 82 clearing dungeon secret rooms.

1. The Ascension Coin vendor in Atissia has no prompt to interact with him.

2. There's no prompt to allow me to squeeze though the small crack at the entrance to Fociaugh so I can't get in to access the locked room.

Tried restarting etc... The only other relevant save I have is 3 hours ago which isn't too bad, but I'm hoping there's a fix someone in knows of.

Any ideas gaf?

No, it has 364 when YOU equip it ( Stat is boosted by accessoires or Royal Weapons ).
Balmung would have 404 ;)

It's showing 364 on the inventory page. Regardless of whether it's equipped or not and isn't affected by removing or adding any other gear.

In game now, just checked. What am I missing?

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks! Will take a look!

I think they might be wrong. Checking the game now and Ultima definitely has by far the highest attack (364) of any of the short swords and this stat is independent of character and accessory/clothing stats. Just tested it.

Also just tested both Sword of the Father and Ultima on an Iron Giant and they hit for almost identical amounts. The difference between the two being your preference of combo style it seems.

pLow7

It's showing 364 on the inventory page. Regardless of whether it's equipped or not and isn't affected by removing or adding any other gear.

In game now, just checked. What am I missing?

I'm not sure what is affecting it, but the weapons have a basic stat which apparently you cannot see ingame. I have the guide though and every weapon has a base stat and
Balmung
has the highest one.
you only get +11 on MP instead of the +40 Ultima gives

I have a question about chapter 6:
I'm driving along with Iris in the Regalia, and we've stopped due to an enemy base, and Ignis has suggested we sneak into it. Do I just sneak into it, or do I do what I did with the last one and rest at a campsite so they can come up with a plan during a cutscene?

The waypoint is showing on the base, but I can't see my way in.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not sure what is affecting it, but the weapons have a basic stat which apparently you cannot see ingame. I have the guide though and every weapon has a base stat and
Balmung
has the highest one.
you only get +11 on MP instead of the +40 Ultima gives

Pretty sure that info is either outdated or incomplete. I found Balmung and it hit for lower than Ultima so I sold it.

In game, no matter what I do, Ultima has by far he highest attack stat when equipped with my best star boosting gear.

The stats that show on the inventory screen are entirely separate from stat buffs too, and it reads 364 there.

Unless I'm missing something here I think that info is incorrect.

pLow7

Pretty sure that info is either outdated or incomplete. I found Balmung and it hit for lower than Ultima so I sold it.

In game, no matter what I do, Ultima has by far he highest attack stat when equipped with my best star boosting gear.

The stats that show on the inventory screen are entirely separate from stat buffs too, and it reads 364 there.

Unless I'm missing something here I think that info is incorrect.

You believe me now ? :)

Noctis didn't learn it, the bros did. They'll use it automatically when they need to.

Pay attention to the ascension screen as it highlights exactly who will be using the skill you're acquiring (bottom of the screen, thumbnail will be highlighted).

weird, I remember selecting first aid for Noctus. hmm

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So at this point, is the consensus that they are just going to pretend they never announced a PS4 Pro patch for December and just give us the other patches instead?

daveo42

Banned
So I blitz(ball)ed my way from chapter 8-13 over the weekend after a few more challenging hunts and picking up the highest level engine blade
Ultima Weapon
for Noct.

Overall, it wasn't all that bad, though a few chapters feel like they could have been shortened or even more fleshed out. I'm also seeing hooks for an entirely larger game that never came together. Chapter 10-12
shows a much larger world that seems to have been completely cut or maybe never was, but it's a whole other continent that almost appeared explorable, but left mostly to the train. Tenebrae being window dressing and the Shiva encounter being way less intense than the previous guardian fights didn't help the pacing.

Another thought on Chapter 10 btw:
Sucks that Ignis lost his sight, but doing that entire dungeon at a snail's pace made me come to hate the fact that I was also hamstrung by him and didn't help with the situation between the bros. Also, the major issues of what had happened in the previous chapter seemed to be quickly swept under the rug to "get on with it" even tho I'm sure some actual hostilities remain.

Now for Chapter 13:
Not as bad as most of the criticism I've seen, but entirely too long. The first section with just the ring seemed to last forever and reminded me of underground sections of both Solaris and the sewers in Nortune from Xenogears combined. Straight forward in linearity, but also confusing as hell and stretched out for what seemed like an eternity. The change in combat was okay, though stretching out combat either avoiding it or lengthening it artificially wasn't. At least in some case it had a plot reason? Getting the sword later in the area helped in balancing out combat and at least that meant most of the journey was over. Or so I thought...

I think more on Ravus would be nice, though I got the gist that while he was against Noct and crew, part of it was a test (lol) on if Noct was worthy of being the true king, with his back-up plan being him and Tenebrae taking out the Empire first with the help of the Oracle. He miscalculated what Ardyn was doing and he got fucked in the process, failing to even protect his sister in her time of need. I suppose his plan was also to capture the gods to either deter or save Luna from essentially wasting away.

Having the bros come back was nice, but also led to the issues I had in Chapter 10. The reveal that Prompto was also a Niff felt both outta nowhere and unneeded except as a for someone else to have security access and to open an previously locked door. Felt like a poor place for some last minute character development that fell entirely flat.

The reveal that Ardyn is both immortal and a Calem was neat enough, but I had to go look at his last name to remember that's the same as Noct's. I would like to chalk it up to my own poor memory, but it's something rarely, if ever, gets said during the game. It also seems like the gods fucked up and Noct is their last Trump to fix their fuck up, but then again, I still have two chapters to flesh all of that out. I did love all the small tidbits about the fall of Niff and would have loved way more info on that outside of the few scraps you pick up while also learning that daemons are essentially people too.

Finally, a question that might be wrapped up here in the next few chapters:
Where in the fuck was Ardyn this entire time? Sealed and unearthed some time ago when King Regis was still up and about or just mulling around for several thousand years?

Wireframe

Haven't posted much of late but just finished up the platinum trophy for FF15 after putting 77.5 hours in and just need to get my thoughts off my chest somewhere even though these things have likely been said to death.

I'd personally give the game a 7.5, maybe an 8. I'm not going to play the game of "where would I rate it in the mainline series" because that's too damn many games and I've played all of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

First, the non-spoiler comments:

I could have done without all of these garbage tie-ins. Eos is not Earth, and I'm playing a Final Fantasy game to experience high fantasy and borderline science fiction. Throwing in the entire Coleman camping catalog, Cup Noodles, American Express, and others was painfully blatant. The Cup Noodles side quest was so in-your-face advertisement that I damn near turned off the game and didn't go back. Not even Activision or EA are as blatant with their advertising in game, and they're pretty damn bad with it.

While I generally enjoyed combat, two things frustrated me, especially later on: The camera and the dungeon design. The issues with the camera are well documented in these threads, it's too damn slow and not suitable AT ALL for confined spaces. Dungeons that rely on cramped spaces really highlight the flaws with the camera and I'd say that the vast majority of my problems with combat stem from JUST the camera. But then there's the fact that one of the core combat functions - point warping - is completely obliterated in most dungeons and largely throughout the back half of the game. Not only do we have to fight poor camera controls, now we lose a key element of Noctis' entire combat repertoire simply because they didn't make the rooms large enough or complex enough to support the function. Just frustrating.

I really did not like or enjoy the implementation of magic and summons this time around. Magic crafting feels like an after thought. Overly complex and yet an underwhelming mechanic because it's entirely possible to beat the majority of the game and the majority of sidequests without using a single spell (I know, as I did just this, not using spells until I started working on the hardest post-game content).

While I didn't think the soundtrack was terribly strong (but I'm biased since I'm old and still equate Final Fantasy to Uematsu's compositions), I did like the small touches of using increasing complex arrangements of the same variation in locations/situations. For example, Lestellum felt different depending on where you were based solely on the way the music added or subtracted elements; the marketplace had a very marketplace feel to it.

And, yes, I must agree that the story was all over the place. Thankfully I went into the game having watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood so I wasn't terribly lost but I still hate the very notion that the bulk of the backstory that is necessary for a coherent narrative is placed outside of the game itself.

On to the spoiler bits:
Once I went into Chapter 9, I felt like the game really went off the rails. Everything after leaving open world Lucis felt bolted on and lacked a lot of real emotional oomph (at least until the ending, which was well done). I feel like the development team reached a point where they just couldn't figure out how to merge the two designs and just gave up, slapping Chapters 9-14 on to the end of Chapter 8 and calling it a day.

Chapter 13... what a shitshow. I have a personal pet peeve about games where you've spent several dozen hours leveling and setting up your character's skills only to have the developers decide to rip it away from you for "story reasons". "Hey, we know you spent a ton of time grinding for your Ultima Blade but too bad, have this ring and access to one royal arms for most of the entire chapter." FFS. (Aside: Watch_Dogs 2 pulls a similar shitty move during its final mission and it almost ruined that entire sequence for me.) Did no one at SE playtest chapter 13 and think to themselves: Ok, this might be dragging on a bit too long here. Because after about an hour of the same tired hallways, that's literally ALL I could think about.

When I reached The World of Ruin, I was originally really annoyed at the entire thing because it felt like everything I did back in open world Lucis was for nothing. All those side quests I did, the cat I fed twice, the people I helped or saved, the stranded motorists... they were surely all dead or turned to daemons. I was pretty annoyed by this. Maybe petty but it still felt shitty.

I feel like they missed a golden opportunity to have an open world Lucis, followed by a significantly shorter linear section culminating with Ardyn's big reveal/Noctis time of reflection in the crystal, and then a full second act with a smaller open world in the World of Ruin. This would have accomplished several things:

- It would have allowed a lot of these post-game dungeons to become GAME dungeons. Honestly, while I appreciate having things to do once finishing the main game, most of this stuff should have been optional things to do before the final conflict. The sealed dungeons would have fit perfectly in a World of Ruin act. Adamantoise should have been the ONLY thing to go back and do after the main game was completed. Anyone who wanted to go back and do the optional things could have done what we've always done with Final Fantasy games: Load a previous save.

- It would have given an actual USE for Regalia Type-F since the ground would have been far too treacherous to traverse. By making it a post-game item it became a novelty that's not even worth using since fast travel is superior in every way. Given the 10 year span, it could have easily been explained that the car (or what was left of it) had been retrieved and upgraded by Cid and Cindy.

- It would have allowed for time to explain what happened to some of the characters and locales (thus preventing the whole "ok, everything went to shit anyway so I just wasted my time in the earlier chapters" feeling). What became of Arenea? Dino? Dave? Whats-her-name from Guldan Quay? Wiz and his Chocobo Farm? That damn Black Chocobo chick I went out of my way to save from certain death? I mean, if Lestellum was essentially the last bastion of humanity on Eos, it would have been nice to see it and have some daemon hunts to participate in.

All in all, I enjoyed it and I'm even considering the season pass simply because I'd want the character episodes (I only have one friend on my friend's list who is playing so I wouldn't have much use of the multiplayer coop, sadly).

Looking past the story issues, my biggest gripe of this entire list boils down to the camera often ruining combat entirely. Well that and the damn bombs that blow up into smaller bombs and then putting those big bombs 4 to a room because fuck you that's why. Still, I stand by a solid 7.5, maybe even an 8, and I've recommended it to my friends who like RPGs or who liked Final Fantasy in the past.

A lot of your suggestions were actually the plan according to insiders, there just wasn't enough time to implement it.

jennetics

Just beat the Malboro yesterday. Holy crap, it took so much longer because I couldn't understand what the game was wanting me to do.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, if anyone runs into a prompt disappearing for a specific npc or action required to progress, if restarting the game or reloading a save doesn't fix it I've found that simply engaging with other activities and returning later will.

I'm in the gym right now trying to get jacked and have FFXV running at home using the rubberband trick to up survival. I'll be at home in 30 mins so I'll report in then.

Zakalwe

Banned
How long did it take those of you who levelled Gladios survival naturally to hit max?

I'm at 95 hours (wasted some of that in menus) and the skill's at 9.4. I tend to run around quite a lot.

Ferr986

Y'all need to not be this lazy and run more instead or going around with the comfy Regalia.

I leveled up the skill naturally, just by running to places instead of car/Chocobo. I still think it takes too long though. The other skills are muuuch faster.

At 66 hours and level 83, I completed the game last night. I'll post some thoughts, spoilers clearly marked.

FFXV is undoubtedly a game of two parts, I hesitate to say 'two halves' because I spent 55 hours in the first part *location spoiler, don't read until you pass chapter 6*
(specifically, Lucis)
and just over 10 hours on the events afterwards. If I didn't know any better I'd go so far as to say this before and after were designed by completely different teams! The first part is the open-world structure, in which the plot takes a back seat (but is still very much there!) and the second part trades the open-world format for something entirely more linear (not unlike FFXIII) with a stronger focus on the plot.

I am in two minds about this. Taken on its own, I don't like how the second part develops, and it is clear to me this is where much of the content of the game would have been taken out. I kept asking myself, why can't I explore these places? *location spoilers, up to chapter 12*
Altissia is beautifully detailed, yet the map is much bigger than any place we can go to, Tenebrae? We visit only the station in the outskirts, with the city looming in the background, the whole Imperial region (and city) are entirely linear (literally on tracks for much of it)
- here just some examples of what I thought were missed opportunities. Had the game in the second part offered both the stronger focus on plot, and the exploratory freedom of the first part, it would be almost faultless in my mind.

The plot beats in this second part are brilliant, so many awesome set pieces and memorable encounters *endgame spoilers, don't read if you haven't completed the story!*
specifically, the whole of chapter 14 was great, the Ifrit fight was probably the high point, jaw-dropping stuff! I also loved the ending, and the little touch with the logo was perfect
The game also offered the series's best villain since the likes of Seymour in FFX, and the overall lore (concerning the villain and his motives), while sometimes a little ambiguous, is really interesting and generally well realised.

If the game was constructed entirely like the second part (like FFXIII is), my overall opinion would be much lower, but because the first part offered such a wealth of content, and cleverly formed this strong character narrative between the four guys (without showing it in cutscenes), I really experienced this beautiful journey, where the second part of the game served as the payoff to that journey. So my advice to anyone playing (or replaying) the game would really be to take your time in that first part, explore that region to the full, because once you leave, the game is designed specifically with the purpose to catapult you to the climax, there's very little room for respite and distraction (unless you return to that region, of course).

Strengths:
- The interactions between the four guys
- The game's art design, the OST
- The overall world design, the freedom to explore in the first region
- The battle system, when it works, is probably the best in the series
- The unconventional plot exposition (the newspapers, the radios); many people did not like this, but I really enjoyed finding out about the world and its events in this manner
- The villain
- The lore (I really liked the idea of the Six etc.)
- The ending

Weaknesses:
- Linearity (plot in place of freedom in the second part)
- Amazing OST, but is it used well enough? My least favourite track also happened to be played 90% of the time (the music in the outposts/gas stations etc)
- The camera; in tight spaces or forested places I often couldn't see what was happening on screen
- The Astrals look absolutely incredible, it's a shame though, that we can't see more of them
- Cut content is really quite obvious (both plot and otherwise), the narrative jumped around a bit at times (specifically, when we see the black screen with 'X days/weeks later' which was a great shame, though what we do get is still great
- There is room to develop side characters more, though again, what we do see of them is good, I just want more!

Overall I really loved XV, it delivered for me, and really has made me hopeful for the future of the franchise. I still have all of the post-game content to explore, and I will probably check out Kingsglaive (I enjoyed Brotherhood). I also look forward to some of the DLC, I hope they will flesh out some of the world even further (and maybe fix a few of the technical issues). It's hard to rank the game in comparison to other FF titles, as it's so different, but I do know that it's ten times the game XIII was. Had it been released last generation, it would be up there with Xenoblade as my game of the generation.

JBwB

How long did it take those of you who levelled Gladios survival naturally to hit max?

I'm at 95 hours (wasted some of that in menus) and the skill's at 9.4. I tend to run around quite a lot.

It took around 100 hours for the survival skill to hit level 10 naturally for me. I probably could have leveled it up much faster if I didn't use the chocobo all the time.

Top Bottom