• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

kennyamr

I'm currently in chapter 8 at level 68. Should I do the
Costlemark
dungeon?
I did it at level 63... but ramuh helped me once in there. Also, that puzzle/maze thing... I needed a guide online.
Ehem, yea 68 is fine, just save first, get plenty of curatives, and also if you want, eat that (expensive) food from Galdin Quay to be immune to electricity, fire, and ice. It helps a bit with some bombs.

I'm currently in chapter 8 at level 68. Should I do the
Costlemark
dungeon?

Real question... Why do we keep spoiling it's name? It's not a story dungeon and you can get quests for it pretty early just like most of the dungeons.

It's a trend throughout this thread to spoiler that dungeon specifically.

So I'm a decent chunk into chapter 13. No idea how far percentage-wise since I have yet to beat it, but I think I am a good ways in since I hit a notable milestone
got the sword from Ravus' corpse

Honestly it sucks. I read so much about it and expected that it wouldn't, but it does. I'm skeptical that the proposed changes would do much to fix it. Not even sure how they could fix it in a light-touch sort of way.
Im a little bit past this point and man... this chapter just goes on and on...

danthefan

I'm definitely going to get this game and was going to get it as a gift for Xmas but I feel like there's no point in getting it now. Anyone else think this? All they're talking about is what's going to change and improve in future. Think I'll just hold off.

I'm definitely going to get this game and was going to get it as a gift for Xmas but I feel like there's no point in getting it now. Anyone else think this? All they're talking about is what's going to change and improve in future. Think I'll just hold off.

I couldn't wait because I had been looking forward to this for years, but if you can wait then yeah, you should. They are promising (we will see) tons of patches to make certain troublesome sections more fun, flesh out the story and add more gameplay variety in addition to improving performance (plus putting out DLC to expand the story further and add online multiplayer).

So, yeah. If you aren't dying to play this, just wait until some of these major pieces of content drop then pick it up.

Are you getting it primarily for gameplay? Because if you are, it's some of the best in the series.

Are you getting it primarily for story? You're going to be disappointed no matter how long you wait. Any changes they make will be band aids and could just as likely make things worse than better.

Mailbox

Heard those Bombs are troublesome in there.

Its not the Bombs you should worry about, they are easy to manage.

Its the Galvanades you should be scared of. They don't die upon explosion and spew out 2-3 bombs every explosion. They are the sole reason that dungeon is as annoying to battle in as it is.

danthefan

I couldn't wait because I had been looking forward to this for years, but if you can wait then yeah, you should. They are promising (we will see) tons of patches to make certain troublesome sections more fun, flesh out the story and add more gameplay variety in addition to improving performance (plus putting out DLC to expand the story further and add online multiplayer).

So, yeah. If you aren't dying to play this, just wait until some of these major pieces of content drop then pick it up.

Yeah I do really want to play it but your post just confirms to me I should wait, thanks.

Are you getting it primarily for gameplay? Because if you are, it's some of the best in the series.

Are you getting it primarily for story? You're going to be disappointed no matter how long you wait. Any changes they make will be band aids and could just as likely make things worse than better.

Both really. FF is such a special series, I'm really not just looking for good game play, I want more than that.

Trojan

Can someone tell me if they've done this before or if this is game-breaking? Chapter 13 spoilers:

So I beat that Foras demon on the first encounter. I guess you're supposed to run in the elevator but I was level 99 and wanted to see if I could beat him. I found a method where he won't regenerate health and took him out.

I googled it quick since clearly they didn't design it that way and everything I saw says he's a part of the story the next 10-20 min, so has anyone else done this and does it break your game at all?

My god...I'm at
Costlemark Tower
and this is annoying. My camera gets stuck and I can't turn it, so I'm going into battles blind half the time.

I just barely beat the room with
the fire giants and the medusa enemy
. I can't see shit, and I can't burn through my items just to fix the camera for 20 seconds.

Mailbox

Can someone tell me if they've done this before or if this is game-breaking? Chapter 13 spoilers:

So I beat that Foras demon on the first encounter. I guess you're supposed to run in the elevator but I was level 99 and wanted to see if I could beat him. I found a method where he won't regenerate health and took him out.

I googled it quick since clearly they didn't design it that way and everything I saw says he's a part of the story the next 10-20 min, so has anyone else done this and does it break your game at all?

huh... never though about someone actually doing that :/

I guess it shouldn't affect much since
going by game mechanics and how spawning works, each time Foras Spawns it probably isn't the "same Foras" in some register. When you get to the part where you actually need to fight him, it should still spawn, so it shouldn't be game breaking.

He should appear as a boss fight once you get the 2 other bros back in your party, tbh he isn't a major boss or anything and nothing mechanics wise is tied to him, so even if he doesn't spawn it shouldn't cause issue

Get further and report back to us.

My god...I'm at
Costlework Tower
and this is annoying. My camera gets stuck and I can't turn it, so I'm going into battles blind half the time.

I just barely beat the room with
the fire giants and the medusa enemy
. I can't see shit, and I can't burn through my items just to fix the camera for 20 seconds.

Wait mode is a godsend for that dungeon.
Use plenty of magics (anything that casts multiple times should do, that isn't thunder)

ZKWHvVH.gif

Mailbox

It's not that the fights are difficult, it's that I can't turn my camera.

oh, I know. I've gone through that dungeon. Wait mode's wait camera is significantly better that the camera during active time. If you want to get a lay of the land in battle its your best option. As for the magic, it will help you handle crowds a lot better, which is why I suggested it.

kiuo

I'm about 50hrs in, at chapter8. I did a lot of grinding with the rare coins so I'm at lvl 82, and did abit of the ap trick with the
beast whistle with royal shield that does aoe dmg.

I dunno but I'm finding the game pretty bad on all levels and I find myself comparing it to xenobladeX a lot. They're very different games, but there are just simple things that I took for granted in xenobladeX and found lacking in ffxv, which makes the experience that much more unbearable.

The combat has large aggroable range the monsters have, it's ridiculous. Considering most of the monsters I've met are aggressive towards me, it becomes annoying. I could be trying to just get that blue shiny thing on the ground, but nope, it's just within range of some frikin monsters. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if lvls actually meant something. In xenobladeX if you are 10+ lvls higher than the monsters, even if they are aggressive, they will not atk you. This can be interpreted as you're stronger than me, I best not mess with you. I'm level 82 in ffxv, a pack of level 2 wolves still tries to atk me, just annoying me more than anything.

Also, I forget if this was from xenoblade or xenobladeX, but the higher level you are, the higher your evasion is. What that meant was that monsters 10+ levels higher than you, were much harder to hit and even unhittable at a certain range higher than you. However there's none of that in ffxv. I was lvl 7, and I managed to kill a lvl 52 monster, granted it took me 20mins but still, it's ridiculous that it's even possible at my lvl. This also occurs in vice versa. I did a hunt to kill a grp of lvl 17 crabs at lvl 40ish and I got whooped.

This shows another issue I have with the game, lvls are a really bad measurement of anything. Not to say more lvls doesn't hurt, but the strength of the monsters to their lvl are really inaccurate. For example, if those lvl 17 crabs were able to fight some level 30-40 monsters, they'd slaughter them like nothing. So, what this means is that you don't know how strong you really are.

That's about it for my issues with the combat, now onto the story. I'm at chapter 8 and I still can't tell much of what's going on. Everything is moving so quickly and is very, extremely bare in telling you wtf is going on. I guess I can blame it on me not watching the anime and the movie. But the way in how the game opens and throws you into its world is ridiculous. You start off talking with the king, then boom the world. After that everything just moves so quickly storywise, if you ignore all the lvling, side quests, etc. There's no foreshadowing, no explanation, and a ton of skipping. For example
after defeating Titan, you're saved by this guy who you find out is an imperial minister. That's pretty important and you'd be wondering why he saved you, but nope, it does a time skip instead. Wtf?

My last issue is the side quests. They are simply just fetch and kill monsters type of quests. I did them all until chapter 8 and I found that there's no story at all to any of them, making them all pointless. They are simply there to waste your time. So, unless you need money or a particular item, I'd skip them. But don't take my word for it, I'm only on chapter 8.

I have more to say but, they're just nitpicky stuff.

TLDR: Combat is very bad, Story is very bad, Side Quest is very bad.

Edit: just got info on how to hard lock, so I took those parts out, so I look less like an idiot. Though in my defense, I never said I was good player. And apparently some side quests are good, so letme change that too.

Kamitechi

I'm about 50hrs in, at chapter8. I did a lot of grinding with the rare coins so I'm at lvl 82, and did abit of the ap trick with the
beast whistle with royal shield that does aoe dmg.

I dunno but I'm finding the game pretty bad on all levels and I find myself comparing it to xenobladeX a lot. They're very different games, but there are just simple things that I took for granted in xenobladeX and found lacking in ffxv, which makes the experience that much more unbearable.

The obvious one is the combat system (active mode). There's no hard target lock button which makes fights chaotic because the character is always switching who he's atking, even with the soft lock button, it still makes your character change targets somehow. I could be atking a monster and almost bring it down and for some reason I'll switch target.

This brings another issue, you can't choose/switch your target so easily, you have to get close enough to the target you want to atk and hope that your aiming reticle switches to them. While in xenobladeX, you could target lock an enemy and switch to the enemy to your left or right whenever you wanted to.

Another thing about the combat is the large aggroable range the monsters have, it's ridiculous. Considering most of the monsters I've met are aggressive towards me, it becomes annoying. I could be trying to just get that blue shiny thing on the ground, but nope, it's just within range of some frikin monsters. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if lvls actually meant something. In xenobladeX if you are 10+ lvls higher than the monsters, even if they are aggressive, they will not atk you. This can be interpreted as you're stronger than me, I best not mess with you. I'm level 82 in ffxv, a pack of level 2 wolves still tries to atk me, just annoying me more than anything.

Also, I forget if this was from xenoblade or xenobladeX, but the higher level you are, the higher your evasion is. What that meant was that monsters 10+ levels higher than you, were much harder to hit and even unhittable at a certain range higher than you. However there's none of that in ffxv. I was lvl 7, and I managed to kill a lvl 52 monster, granted it took me 20mins but still, it's ridiculous that it's even possible at my lvl. This also occurs in vice versa. I did a hunt to kill a grp of lvl 17 crabs at lvl 40ish and I got whooped.

This shows another issue I have with the game, lvls are a really bad measurement of anything. Not to say more lvls doesn't hurt, but the strength of the monsters to their lvl are really inaccurate. For example, if those lvl 17 crabs were able to fight some level 30-40 monsters, they'd slaughter them like nothing. So, what this means is that you don't know how strong you really are.

I also have a problem with the fighting in general. You don't really feel like you have control of your character. For example, when you press the atk button on a far away target, he'll sometimes go closer to the target before atking it and other times, just start swinging away even though it won't hit. So, by not knowing how your character reacts, you'll feel like you aren't the one in control. Then add on the random switching targets that be occurring and it gets chaotic.

That's about it for my issues with the combat, now onto the story. I'm at chapter 8 and I still can't tell much of what's going on. Everything is moving so quickly and is very, extremely bare in telling you wtf is going on. I guess I can blame it on me not watching the anime and the movie. But the way in how the game opens and throws you into its world is ridiculous. You start off talking with the king, then boom the world. After that everything just moves so quickly storywise, if you ignore all the lvling, side quests, etc. There's no foreshadowing, no explanation, and a ton of skipping. For example
after defeating Titan, you're saved by this guy who you find out is an imperial minister. That's pretty important and you'd be wondering why he saved you, but nope, it does a time skip instead. Wtf?

My last issue is the side quests. They are simply just fetch and kill monsters type of quests. I did them all until chapter 8 and I found that there's no story at all to any of them, making them all pointless. They are simply there to waste your time. So, unless you need money or a particular item, I'd skip them. For me, side quest are supposed to build a world, making it feel fuller and alive. That was how Witcher3 felt from all the side quests. But in ffxv, the world feels dead and unnecessarily big for no reason.

I have more to say but, they're just nitpicky stuff.

TLDR: Combat is very bad, Story is very bad, Side Quest is very bad.

I disagree with the combat part, I can agree with the camera part though, the combat is fun, and it is responsive and acts the way I want to, I think you did not level your ascension to be battle heavy.

You can kill a higher leveled monster when you are level 7, but I do not see something bad about it? sure you can kill it, but is it worth the time? the items ? there is more to it.

as for the sidequest - they are sidequests, I don't expect a storyline for every side quest.

hunts are hunts - you take a bill and you go get it, I don't know how do you want this to go otherwise.

massoluk

Banned

Didn't want to compare this to Xenoblade X in this thread, but since we are at it.... The invisible wall really annoyed me in this game. In Xeno X, I just go anywhere and jump over anything. But then I remember Xeno X is the exception, not the norm of openworld game.

oh, I know. I've gone through that dungeon. Wait mode's wait camera is significantly better that the camera during active time. If you want to get a lay of the land in battle its your best option. As for the magic, it will help you handle crowds a lot better, which is why I suggested it.

Made it through the dungeon, glitched camera and all. Thanks for the advice. Camera glitch seems to have affected my entire game. Costlemark is a piece of shit for that.

Ruff

I'm about 50hrs in

The obvious one is the combat system (active mode). There's no hard target lock button which makes fights chaotic because the character is always switching who he's atking, even with the soft lock button, it still makes your character change targets somehow. I could be atking a monster and almost bring it down and for some reason I'll switch target.

Tbh, I'm surprised you got to 50 hours without realizing there's a hard lock, and a way to switch targets.

Waji

as for the sidequest - they are sidequests, I don't expect a storyline for every side quest.
Though that's basically what XenobladeX has. Story in every side quests.
Only the quests board can give meaningless optional quests, but you can play 200h without even touching one of these.
Better, you can leave some in the background that can finish itself while you do something else.

Mailbox

Tbh, I'm surprised you got to 50 hours without realizing there's a hard lock, and a way to switch targets.

yeah, jeez.

And for those not in the know:

- Hard lock is R1+R3. Soft lock does not actually switch targets while locking, but it can stop locking on in select circumstances. Its better to learn how to not fight with lock on, and to use lock on only for magic, camera readjustments, and to switch targets.

- You don't switch targets in lock on, but lock on points. Some enemies have multiple points to lock onto, smaller enemies have 1 lock on point. You can go from enemy to enemy in lock on by using the right stick when locked on.

Other than the camera I have no real quams about the battle system. Its simple to understand (3 fluid stands: attack, warp, and defence, positioning matters, elemental and weapon weaknesses, etc) but offers surprising depth (I wonder how many players who spend more than 40 hours still don't know how to pull of the lance full thrust or the broadsword tempest or how to handle shortsword i-frames or shield throwing)

I feel like those who hate the combat really just don't know what they're doing sometimes, despite time in the game. :p

ramyeon

Finished the story after getting all the royal arms since that felt appropriate.

Loved the ending. Loved the characters. Game is up there as one of the best this year for me. What an experience.

For me, the side quests constitute an excuse for exploring the world. Yes, they do not have anything of interest in themselves (besides some intricate dungeons), but the world is so beautiful and interesting that I don't mind having said quests as the stimuli to explore it. To be honest I wouldn't do it otherwise; I always need an incentive to go to a specific area in any open world game. FF XV does a really good job in that regard.

Regarding the story, yes, it is a complete mess. I was reading the script for the prologue bit that was obviously cut (it was supposed to take place alongside Kingsglaive, two days before Noct and the rest departed from the Crown City) and it was such a nice introduction to the game. I imagine it would be fantastic if it was interactive as well, with the player walking around the Crown City, talking with his friends and discussing about how things would be during their road trip.

I really wish they patch the shit out of this game. I am not in favour of being server half-baked food, but in this case I'd really like to see the finalised version of this game - the potential is so great, but the execution is rather poor.

Munti

I just finished the main story and it was amazing and beautiful.
The game has so many great and complex ideas. The action parts are very action-packed, the sad parts are very touchy. And
directly after chapter 9 I felt very desperated like the group because the bad things that happened to them. The game reflected here the atmosphere very good and I never felt so desparate in a game before.
The world itself is rich of details. In each area I look at architecture of the buildings and see that they have put a lot of thought to build this world. I also like that the civilisation has kind of a touch of the 60’s. The battly system is suprisingly great.
I just wished for one thing:
I would have liked to see more of the world in darkness/world in ruins. Would have been nice to see what happened in these 10 years, how some characters changed and how the whole population lives in fear and terror. The whole thing would had a much greater impact.
But even without that, the game is packed with content and I think the story & lore are great (maybe I have a too low standard as apparently many didn't like it).

I also have to say that it reminds me a lot of Type-0:
Highly technical advanced nation invades the world. At the end, the Last Judgement occures, the world falls in ruin and demons invade the world. The population lives in fear, regardless of the nation There’s only one messiah that can bring back the light and salvation.
As I said many times on this forum that I adore Type-0, that was actually a huge positive thing for me. :)

Besides IV:TAF, VIII and XI I played every FF-game and XV is maybe my favorite of the series, or atleast very high on the list.

kiuo

I disagree with the combat part, I can agree with the camera part though, the combat is fun, and it is responsive and acts the way I want to, I think you did not level your ascension to be battle heavy.

I dunno, I found it to be quite chaotic. But I forgot about wait mode. Hope it changes my experience.

You can kill a higher leveled monster when you are level 7, but I do not see something bad about it? sure you can kill it, but is it worth the time? the items ? there is more to it.

I guess this comes from me being used to playing rpgs and mmos where high lvl monsters kills you like nothing and you dmg them for 0 and 1 because their defense were so high and such

I don't as well, but when the nearly all of them are fetch quests or kill these monsters, then it just becomes tiresome

hunts are hunts - you take a bill and you go get it, I don't know how do you want this to go otherwise.

I was talking about the side quests killing monsters, I'm fine with the hunts actually.

Didn't want to compare this to Xenoblade X in this thread, but since we are at it.... The invisible wall really annoyed me in this game. In Xeno X, I just go anywhere and jump over anything. But then I remember Xeno X is the exception, not the norm of openworld game.

Yeah I felt the same about the invisible walls. Felt really constricted at times.

Hard lock is R1+R3 :p

Well, well, you learn something new everyday. In my defense I never claimed I was a good player, hence why I play rpgs and not shooting games :) And I was only grinding and afking most of the time!

But seriously, that's good info for me, thanks a lot. I should probably change my critique...except someone already quoted my whole write up. Hopefully it gets buried in these many pages by the time I wake up tmr.

Mailbox

My opinion on side quests: many start out okay, and then screw themselves up by being... well... lets jump in. [I'll spoilertag these just in case]

Daves quests: starts off interesting, good premise, but too many times he just like "find me the dog tag" that it ends up losing what made the start of this quest line interesting. Its not a look into how hunting is dangerous and a sad profession, its a collectathon.

Sonia's quests: again starts off good with red frogs that looks back to the bloodhorn mutation situation in the first main quest. But that's never explored again... ever! Instead she just asks you to find other kinds of frogs, kill some creatures for parts (one of which is a rare drop and can only be done via a hunt, good fucking luck), and the last quest is kind of a pain from her. It would have been MUCH MUCH better if this questline was about the whole mutation thing and you fought mutated versions of animals throughout. It was a missed opportunity, but whatever. Didn't hate her quests, but still...

Viv's quests: These work well imo. Its going to get pics of specific locals, you learn a lil bit about the lore, and locations and what they exactly are. You also level up Prompto's pic stat in the meantime too. I think this questline is fine as is.

Navyth's quests: This is a pretty good questline imo. Its all about Fishing and the challenges get harder and harder each time. Its about getting to know how fishing is done and what fishing means. Navyth's quests are never like dave's or Sonia's where they just say "get this". He always explains why he's challenging noct at fishing and he's a pretty great fishing dad.

Cindy's quests: While they are pretty much just "get the thing for me" quests, they are probably the best implimentation of that in this game. Each thing has a clear meaning to Cindy and they will make you go to interesting places. Tbh, her quests really put Dave's to shame. If Dave had a story for each fallen Hunter or if we got a lil something outta Dave's stuff I'd like it more, but as is... Anywho, I don't see an issue with Cindy's questline. You get some pretty neat stuff out of it, assuming you do them pretty early.

Takka's quests: I could take it or leave it. Its pretty much a "collect the ingredient" questline. Its definitely more thoughtout in dialogue-wise than dave's or most of Sania's, but it can be tedious.

The cat: basically 2 quests where you do the same thing: Fish, give it to person who cooks it, and you give it to cat. I honestly don't mind this one, since its only twice in wildly different locations and feels more like an adjacent to the story rather than just a thing you can do whenever. No issue with this one.

Lestallum's venders: The initial idea behind all of these is fine tbh: "Get rid of traps so supplies can go through", "find my missing supply truck please", etc. But when you find out that all the questlines here are just copy-pastas its annoying.

Cids upgrades: As quests, they are nothing more than "get item to upgrade" which i'm fine with. I don't want longwinded talks about my bioblaster thankyouverymuch. But we do get a lil something from getting the ultima blade. Nice touch tbh.

Randolph: Glorified post-game high-level hunts. I like them for the fights themselves. As a questline its nothing to write home about.

Menace Raids: Floor after floor of fights. I like them so far (i'll probably grow to hate them lol). Its just something to do if you want high level fighting and a bit of a challenge.

The royal Arms: Should have been part of the main story. That's all I'll say to that end.

There's more but whatever. My point is: some questlines are good, some questlines are bad, some are missed opportunities, and some are just there to give you something to do if you want it. Hopefully Square go for more "quality over quantity" next time, but I wouldn't call these shit-teir questing.

Edit: if square can patch in a chocobo hot and cold mini-game at wiz's or some other parts of the world, I'd lose my shit.... I feel like playing some ff9 and chocobo's hot and cold right now :p

Munti

I just checked the english wikia and I didn't see something very important story-related mentioned there. I played the german dub/sub, so maybe this info is missing in the english version?
I'm not sure, so I will post this info here [big spoilers!]:
IIRK, Ardyn tells that the plague is caused by parasites that came with the fallen meteor.

Mailbox

I just checked the english wikia and I didn't see something very important story-related mentioned there. I played the german dub/sub, so maybe this info is missing in the english version?
I'm not sure, so I will post this info here [big spoilers!]:
IIRK, Ardyn tells that the plague is caused by parasites that came with the fallen meteor.

That stuff
isn't mentioned by Ardyn. Its mentioned in notes in World of Ruin Hammerhead where they say something about microbes causing the eternal darkness.

Munti

That stuff
isn't mentioned by Ardyn. Its mentioned in notes in World of Ruin Hammerhead where they say something about microbes causing the eternal darkness.

Ah so it's also mentioned in the english version. But I'm pretty sure that Ardyn explicitly mentions, where he reveals his true identity, that these microbes came from the meteor. He also says that he absorbed the parasites to save the people from the plague ( I think so that they don't get infected) But by this act, he was seen as a monster or something like this and was banned.

Nydius

Haven't posted much of late but just finished up the platinum trophy for FF15 after putting 77.5 hours in and just need to get my thoughts off my chest somewhere even though these things have likely been said to death.

I'd personally give the game a 7.5, maybe an 8. I'm not going to play the game of "where would I rate it in the mainline series" because that's too damn many games and I've played all of them. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

First, the non-spoiler comments:

I could have done without all of these garbage tie-ins. Eos is not Earth, and I'm playing a Final Fantasy game to experience high fantasy and borderline science fiction. Throwing in the entire Coleman camping catalog, Cup Noodles, American Express, and others was painfully blatant. The Cup Noodles side quest was so in-your-face advertisement that I damn near turned off the game and didn't go back. Not even Activision or EA are as blatant with their advertising in game, and they're pretty damn bad with it.

While I generally enjoyed combat, two things frustrated me, especially later on: The camera and the dungeon design. The issues with the camera are well documented in these threads, it's too damn slow and not suitable AT ALL for confined spaces. Dungeons that rely on cramped spaces really highlight the flaws with the camera and I'd say that the vast majority of my problems with combat stem from JUST the camera. But then there's the fact that one of the core combat functions - point warping - is completely obliterated in most dungeons and largely throughout the back half of the game. Not only do we have to fight poor camera controls, now we lose a key element of Noctis' entire combat repertoire simply because they didn't make the rooms large enough or complex enough to support the function. Just frustrating.

I really did not like or enjoy the implementation of magic and summons this time around. Magic crafting feels like an after thought. Overly complex and yet an underwhelming mechanic because it's entirely possible to beat the majority of the game and the majority of sidequests without using a single spell (I know, as I did just this, not using spells until I started working on the hardest post-game content).

While I didn't think the soundtrack was terribly strong (but I'm biased since I'm old and still equate Final Fantasy to Uematsu's compositions), I did like the small touches of using increasing complex arrangements of the same variation in locations/situations. For example, Lestellum felt different depending on where you were based solely on the way the music added or subtracted elements; the marketplace had a very marketplace feel to it.

And, yes, I must agree that the story was all over the place. Thankfully I went into the game having watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood so I wasn't terribly lost but I still hate the very notion that the bulk of the backstory that is necessary for a coherent narrative is placed outside of the game itself.

On to the spoiler bits:
Once I went into Chapter 9, I felt like the game really went off the rails. Everything after leaving open world Lucis felt bolted on and lacked a lot of real emotional oomph (at least until the ending, which was well done). I feel like the development team reached a point where they just couldn't figure out how to merge the two designs and just gave up, slapping Chapters 9-14 on to the end of Chapter 8 and calling it a day.

Chapter 13... what a shitshow. I have a personal pet peeve about games where you've spent several dozen hours leveling and setting up your character's skills only to have the developers decide to rip it away from you for "story reasons". "Hey, we know you spent a ton of time grinding for your Ultima Blade but too bad, have this ring and access to one royal arms for most of the entire chapter." FFS. (Aside: Watch_Dogs 2 pulls a similar shitty move during its final mission and it almost ruined that entire sequence for me.) Did no one at SE playtest chapter 13 and think to themselves: Ok, this might be dragging on a bit too long here. Because after about an hour of the same tired hallways, that's literally ALL I could think about.

When I reached The World of Ruin, I was originally really annoyed at the entire thing because it felt like everything I did back in open world Lucis was for nothing. All those side quests I did, the cat I fed twice, the people I helped or saved, the stranded motorists... they were surely all dead or turned to daemons. I was pretty annoyed by this. Maybe petty but it still felt shitty.

I feel like they missed a golden opportunity to have an open world Lucis, followed by a significantly shorter linear section culminating with Ardyn's big reveal/Noctis time of reflection in the crystal, and then a full second act with a smaller open world in the World of Ruin. This would have accomplished several things:

- It would have allowed a lot of these post-game dungeons to become GAME dungeons. Honestly, while I appreciate having things to do once finishing the main game, most of this stuff should have been optional things to do before the final conflict. The sealed dungeons would have fit perfectly in a World of Ruin act. Adamantoise should have been the ONLY thing to go back and do after the main game was completed. Anyone who wanted to go back and do the optional things could have done what we've always done with Final Fantasy games: Load a previous save.

- It would have given an actual USE for Regalia Type-F since the ground would have been far too treacherous to traverse. By making it a post-game item it became a novelty that's not even worth using since fast travel is superior in every way. Given the 10 year span, it could have easily been explained that the car (or what was left of it) had been retrieved and upgraded by Cid and Cindy.

- It would have allowed for time to explain what happened to some of the characters and locales (thus preventing the whole "ok, everything went to shit anyway so I just wasted my time in the earlier chapters" feeling). What became of Arenea? Dino? Dave? Whats-her-name from Guldan Quay? Wiz and his Chocobo Farm? That damn Black Chocobo chick I went out of my way to save from certain death? I mean, if Lestellum was essentially the last bastion of humanity on Eos, it would have been nice to see it and have some daemon hunts to participate in.

All in all, I enjoyed it and I'm even considering the season pass simply because I'd want the character episodes (I only have one friend on my friend's list who is playing so I wouldn't have much use of the multiplayer coop, sadly).

Looking past the story issues, my biggest gripe of this entire list boils down to the camera often ruining combat entirely. Well that and the damn bombs that blow up into smaller bombs and then putting those big bombs 4 to a room because fuck you that's why. Still, I stand by a solid 7.5, maybe even an 8, and I've recommended it to my friends who like RPGs or who liked Final Fantasy in the past.

Kazdane

Playing at a rather relaxed pace, I've clocked 16 hours so far, level 36 and I'm still in Chapter 3
about to go to the dungeon near Lestallum
. I guess at some point I'll start focusing more on the main quest, but no matter what I do, I'll outlevel it anyways.

It's the camera and the useless AI of your team mates that ruin the combat. I hated my companions because of this.

I would still prefer turn based over this though, but that's what I grew up with.

valkyre

Are they going to add quests or locations in this game ala Witcher 3 had with extra quests and expnasions?

I know about the episodes for the cast members that are laready announced but these seem completely separate offerings.

I am just asking if the world is going to have extra locations added and quests

Are they going to add quests or locations in this game ala Witcher 3 had with extra quests and expnasions?

I know about the episodes for the cast members that are laready announced but these seem completely separate offerings.

I am just asking if the world is going to have extra locations added and quests

There's some speculations that some of the blacked out area's will be opened in the expansion. But extra quests and hunts are a 100% safe bet.

Do devs even play test there games .
That adamantoise boss battle was one of the worst fucking boss battles in any game .
Who ever thought about that needs to stick away from making boss battles .
Any way finish what i had to do and that is the end of FFXV for me.
Since i don't care about the upcoming DLC but on the bring side my second plat trophy .

Trying to farm Cactuars to get a Cactuar Needle, and all I keep getting are Oracle Ascension Coins

A bit late but as i've spent ages doing this for EXP and got very few Needles so use that chest if it's guaranteed.
However if you want to farm Cactuars then:
Go to Hammerhead, wait til 4am and run NW towards the treasure chest, look slightly NWN to see a dualhorn or two, kill them then run back towards the trees along the RV side of Hammerhead Diner and a Cactuar should spawn there or thereabouts. Listen for the squeaky feet. If not then run around between hammerhead, the Dualhornspot, the rocks by the horsey looking things as i've had two spawn in that area in one day. If it hasn't spawned by 08am then either reload or kill some stuff until 15:00 and run around the dualhorn area for the afternoon appearance. Save and run around at night, don't camp or sleep.
Save a bunch of EXP and then go to Galdin Bay with 10k to double your EXP :)

I'm on Chapter 02 and Level 43 because i got a bit addicted to Cactuar Hunts :D

Top Bottom