• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

NeonZ

What is his class though? I don't think there is a Soldier/Halberdier class.

There's a soldier class, but it's enemy-only. In one of the previous DLC maps Ephraim was a soldier with a custom face.

I don't think his DLC version will be one though, considering how the map seems to be high level (he'll likely be a pre-promote). So, considering his original promotion and armor, I guess he'll likely Great Knight (the Paladin's armor is very different here). Either that, or a Master Lord, like Krom. Although so far the only returning character that has gotten to be a Lord again was Marth, so it's not very likely...

I think the artist is the one responsible for the Hasha no Ken manga. Might as well post the art.

dlc0517b_img.jpg

What about people who aren't interested in buying any DLC? I'm certainly not. Why should the game's "difficulty" be determined based on factors that not everyone will have access to?

Makes more sense to comment on the game's difficulty with DLC and without DLC.

There's no problem with looking at the difficulty of a game from multiple perspectives or conditions. The problem arises when people try to hand wave away balance and difficulty issues, claiming they're not legitimate because the player can "just ignore them". Furthermore, I think criticizing a game for its balance issues when taking account all available game rules leads to better balanced and designed games and a stronger competitive community behind it. Any attempts by the player to self-limit is a second rate salvage attempt, and defending devs for that lets them off the hook and results in a fractured, weakened, or non-existant competitive community. So in my opinion, it's better to fully take into account all of a game's rules when criticizing it if you're interested in developers creating games with better balance and a wider range of difficulty levels.

Anyway, I wonder how that 'mummy farm' level plays on Lunatic or Lunatic+.

Mr. Fix

Celice DLC is due for next week. Can't tell what class he is though. Also a new spotpass gaiden chapter came out today(19) that let's you recruit Vallhart.

StayDead

EDIT: Forget everything I just asked, I only just realised that I had my 3DS' wireless turned off after my router crashed last night.

Going through the gaiden chapters at the minute. So many support conversations to read :eek:

Yes, my warning to wait until all of the DLC was released before judging the difficulty of the game seems to be prescient. I'm sure we'll find lots more fun ways to break the game, which can be entertaining, but not particularly difficult.

Sorry, no news or anything. But, I discovered this awesome thing to do with Youtube Doubler.

Here!

Use the volume controls on the second (fire) video, and you can simulate the in-game effect of starting and stopping a battle! Make sure they sync up well, and try to mute the second video before it starts.

dumb ... passive aggressively claim logical fallacies.
Using your ignorant interpretation of an argument as a strawman to distract from unrelated points being made, while calling me dumb, arrogant, baseless, petty, passive aggressive, etc. Wow. I think my hypocrisy meter just exploded.

No this was me insulting you after getting tired of your arrogance, baseless pessimism, and general passive aggressive pettiness.
Yes, you're obviously more interested in insulting people, making false accusations, setting up strawmen, and talking trash rather than making any coherent argument or discussing anything. Your opinions are not facts, and your dictates are not arguments. Do you have a single example of "passive aggressive" behavior while you continue to talk trash and insult me? And you're not getting a reasonable discussion out of anyone like that.

My caution and predictions were confirmed several times over in this thread and elsewhere via DLC. And it most certainly was not baseless given they released free DLC in the last FE that significantly reduced its difficulty, which is something I already mentioned.

StayDead

So I finished the main story last night. Utterly fantastic. <3

Teared up on the bit where Bajirio appeared and mentioned that he wasn't going to let fate defeat him and the bit where they're all cheering on your my character to get up as they all believe in you. So good, so good <3

So I finished the main story last night. Utterly fantastic. <3

Teared up on the bit where Bajirio appeared and mentioned that he wasn't going to let fate defeat him and the bit where they're all cheering on your my character to get up as they all believe in you. So good, so good <3

Regarding the key choice:
Did you choose to
kill Gimrey yourself
? I'm wondering if it's like other choices where
it doesn't really affect anything

StayDead

Regarding the key choice:
Did you choose to
kill Gimrey yourself
? I'm wondering if it's like other choices where
it doesn't really affect anything

I
Left it to Krom since throughout the entire story he's lost the most, I mean I thought I was going to kill him at one point, then his daughter appears from the future proclaiming that he's dead and well, I wanted him to have the glory :p

I
Left it to Krom since throughout the entire story he's lost the most, I mean I thought I was going to kill him at one point, then his daughter appears from the future proclaiming that he's dead and well, I wanted him to have the glory :p

Ending spoilers ahead.
I chose to do it myself rather than leave the burden of fighting Gimrey again to future generations. You get a massive downer ending, but I feel like this version of the ending is a bit more honest.

By the way, the quality of the animated cutscenes is outstanding. They did a really great job on making the characters come to life, and come the end I was starting to get a bit gay for Krom.

I only just finished the game as well. Now what am I going to with my 3DS until Etrian Odyssey 4 comes out?

StayDead

Ending spoilers ahead.
I chose to do it myself rather than leave the burden of fighting Gimrey again to future generations. You get a massive downer ending, but I feel like this version of the ending is a bit more honest.

By the way, the quality of the animated cutscenes is outstanding. They did a really great job on making the characters come to life, and come the end I was starting to get a bit gay for Krom.

I only just finished the game as well. Now what am I going to with my 3DS until Etrian Odyssey 4 comes out?

I'm going through all the gaia chapters and also trying to get every character to atleast S rank somebody so I can get all the extra characters. Then get all those to rank with somebody else too. It's going to take me a while and it's really hard for me right now (characters)
NonoxRihito, GregxBell
are two I'm trying to S Rank/Level up, but since I never bothered before, even the arena battles are a case of life and death for them. They do barely any damage and die in one hit. It's kind of awkward :p

EDIT: As I say that I get
Greg
like 6 levels in one battle thanks to the
dragon killer
sword. I'm not sure if names/items are spoilers but I'll keep spoilering them just in case people don't want it ruined. ^^

EDIT again: Is there any disadvantage at max level to just keep reclassing back to the same class to carry on levelling up?

I'm going through all the gaia chapters and also trying to get every character to atleast S rank somebody so I can get all the extra characters. Then get all those to rank with somebody else too. It's going to take me a while and it's really hard for me right now (characters)
NonoxRihito, GregxBell
are two I'm trying to S Rank/Level up, but since I never bothered before, even the arena battles are a case of life and death for them. They do barely any damage and die in one hit. It's kind of awkward :p

EDIT: As I say that I get
Greg
like 6 levels in one battle thanks to the
dragon killer
sword. I'm not sure if names/items are spoilers but I'll keep spoilering them just in case people don't want it ruined. ^^

EDIT again: Is there any disadvantage at max level to just keep reclassing back to the same class to carry on levelling up?

I haven't really noticed any disadvantage.

My usual grind spots were:
- Map 10 - the forts were useful
- Gaiden Map 10 - for grinding promoted units

If you have a Japanese 3DS and you're serious about tactics games, you could try SD Gundam G Generation 3D.

Not a Gundam fan, but I did just realise I never played Devil Survivor, so I've ordered that to tide me over.

EDIT:
By the way, it's Krom's birthday today, so check in to &#12415;&#12435;&#12394;&#12398;&#37096;&#23627;!

StayDead

Ok so through my stupidity of never checking if you could summon the spotpass teams more than once, I've now got some decent close to me levelled enemies to level up some of my lower level characters. I can't believe I never checked that. woops!

Mr. Fix

bKjvA.png

Eirika's due next week. Supposedly a new class like Alm. I see staves and bows. Kinda odd, considering she used swords. Cool art though. Much better than Ellincia/Micaiah.

StayDead

I still need to pick the DLC up, but if it's a new class, does that unlock it for everyone else to class change to or is it just for them?

You get an item that lets you turn any character into the new class, but they have to be the right gender. Only males can be Demon Fighters and only females can be Brides.

NeonZ

"Bride's bouquet" is the name of the class change item and the name of the new class is "Bride". Seems kind of unfitting for Eirika (Staff and bow? I hope sword is there too at least), but, because it' a DLC class, that means every girl in the game can wear that, which seems rather amusing.

ah...so jealous I love the FE series....just can't bring myself to buy a 3ds.....guess I need to start watching for great 3ds sale

Actually sorry this is kind of off the topic, but is there a way you can get the old FE games on the 3ds? If so I might have to bite...just to feed my FE addiction.....

bKjvA.png

Eirika's due next week. Supposedly a new class like Alm. I see staves and bows. Kinda odd, considering she used swords. Cool art though. Much better than Ellincia/Micaiah.
I suppose this is Queen Eirika instead of Princess Eirika. Staves and bows? Wasn't she like a Cavalier when promoting?

DLC needs more consistency.

So in my opinion, it's better to fully take into account all of a game's rules when criticizing it

Like transferring saves!

Yes, you're obviously more interested in insulting people, making false accusations, setting up strawmen, and talking trash rather than making any coherent argument or discussing anything. Your opinions are not facts, and your dictates are not arguments. Do you have a single example of "passive aggressive" behavior while you continue to talk trash and insult me? And you're not getting a reasonable discussion out of anyone like that.

And you further prove you're not interested in actual debate. Instead all you like to do is smugly declare yourself right. You have yet to actually talk about any point I make. Instead you smugly declare yourself the winner because I dare to be mean to you on the internet! TT_TT. Guess what? I insult you because I find you obnoxious. Lots of people do. If you're so smart you should be able to see patterns. (Hint: Here's the pattern. You're a smug, infuriating prick. Stop being a smug, infuriating prick.) Stop passive aggressively calling out "logical fallacies" you read about on Wikipedia like you're in high school debate class and actually talk to people and maybe people will do more then call you a gigantic elitist moron about the stupidest thing ever. ("I like difficult videogames" is not worth being so smug.)

This looks like a fun tactics game to enjoy casually.. probably not worth the effort to patch it up so there's nothing easy to exploit and reduce the difficulty level. Not to mention the FE elitists that will make fun of you unless your challenge conditions are "correct" according to them. Just enjoy the game.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

That Fire Emblem Kakusei is great. As one of the best of the saga, it has a classic but eventful scenario, a gallery of charming characters, and of course a foolproof game system. It must be said that the turn-based strategy is particularly suited to portable format, and it's not this 3DS version that will say otherwise, especially as it cleverly takes advantage of the 3D display to delight the eyes. While the game is often hard, the possibility to see his troops not dying at the end of a fight will help the undecided to make the step for thirty hours of a beautiful and powerful adventure. Apart from a debatable DLC policy, there is finally little to blame to this cartridge, a must for any japanese 3DS. Meanwhile the European version.

+ good graphics
+ the opportunity to choose a decent difficulty
+ good 3D
+ addictive characters relationship system

- sometimes frustrating
- the DLC
- the weapons that break drives you crazy

8/10 (editor's pick)

JeuxVideo.Fr Import Review

+ more epic than the last fire emblem all together
+ the system of blended attacks
+ the couples between characters
+ lots of references to previous titles
+ beautiful musics
+ remains a challenge

- strange characters stylization
- few digital voices
- the DLC

8/10

Socreges

Banned
If the reviewer has played previous FEs (sounds like it) and are complaining about the weapons breaking, I'd imagine it's more common in Awakening. Can anyone clarify?

And really meaningless negatives imo.

[edit] Reading the Gamekult review, it's actually written as if the person has never played a Fire Emblem game before.

If the reviewer has played previous FEs (sounds like it) and are complaining about the weapons breaking, I'd imagine it's more common in Awakening. Can anyone clarify?

And really meaningless negatives imo.

[edit] Reading the Gamekult review, it's actually written as if the person has never played a Fire Emblem game before.

It looks like weapons have about the same amount of uses they normally have, though Silver weapons now have 30 instead of 25 or 20 like usual.

Well maybe she's getting married and doesn't have time for swords anymore.

NeonZ

New DLC character announced:

Celica from Fire Emblem Gaiden (Japan-only game)
O5jMi.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0621.html

No unique class this time, she seems to be just a standard Sage. Also, I guess this explains why they made DLC Micaiah a dark mage (even though she's a standard Mage/Sage when she appears as a non-playable unit) - they don't want DLC characters with repeated classes.

The new chapter that comes alongside her is the second version of Light vs Dark, now the player sides with FE's main villains against the heroes from all games.

Well maybe she's getting married and doesn't have time for swords anymore.

I've seen a translation of some dialogue from the DLC chapter which introduces Eirika and that class. Anyway, no, she isn't actually getting married, she just found the promotion item, picked it up and then transformed into that form, clothes included.

Top Bottom