• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

I'm amazed at the volume of dialogue in this.
My character now has two kids. There are fairly fleshed-out support conversations between each of the family members.
(~Chapter 14)
Does the game do this for every single possible combination? That's incredible given the size of the cast.

Also, looks like I was right about S-ranking
Sarya
, the result is hilarious.

I accidentally S-ranked my main character Ryouga with
Nono
XD. I had no idea that marriage happened once you hit S, so I unintentionally married him off to her.

Oh well. I'm sure he'll be happy... >.>

Zenaku

I'm amazed at the volume of dialogue in this.
My character now has two kids. There are fairly fleshed-out support conversations between each of the family members.
(~Chapter 14)
Does the game do this for every single possible combination? That's incredible given the size of the cast.

Also, looks like I was right about S-ranking
Sarya
, the result is hilarious.

Only Crom and your My Unit can have two kids, since they each have their own "default" child alongside the child of whoever they marry. All children have supports with their parents and (in Crom and My Units case) their siblings. Parent-child conversations seem to be mostly identical regardless of the parent, however.

RyougaSaotome said:
I accidentally S-ranked my main character Ryouga with Nono XD. I had no idea that marriage happened once you hit S, so I unintentionally married him off to her.

Oh well. I'm sure he'll be happy... >.>
He will be. He will be. ;)

McNum

You know, speaking of
Nono
... How do Mankates work in Awakening? I've found them to be... limited in the games I've run into them. Because they were dependent on a unique 50 use weapon. Use it up and they're useless. Meaning a Mankate is a waste of EXP.

Of course, in Awakening you could just reclass to something else, but... then it's not a Mankate anymore. Which still leaves the issue of a very limited amount of turns for it to be useful. Or am I missing something?

Manaketes have typically been limited use characters, although you could buy Dragonstones from a secret shop in Mystery of the Emblem. But in Awakening...

You can buy Dragonstones and Beast Stones from shops. I think there's some in the Chapter 12 shop, at Felia Port.

McNum

Manaketes have typically been limited use characters, although you could buy Dragonstones from a secret shop in Mystery of the Emblem. But in Awakening...

You can buy Dragonstones and Beast Stones from shops. I think there's some in the Chapter 12 shop, at Felia Port.
Ah, sounds good. Then I might actually use it in Awakening. I still kind of prefer the way the Laguz did it in FE9 and 10. Infinite use, but not all the time. Unless you had a Laguz Stone, then it was all the time for five maps. Reyson liked that in the endgame.

StayDead

This is going to sound like a completely ridiculous question, but I'm rather new to the series (Only played this and sacred stones), what's the best way to use pegasus knights? I really like them, but I'm always too scared to use them as they seem to die so easily :S

This is going to sound like a completely ridiculous question, but I'm rather new to the series (Only played this and sacred stones), what's the best way to use pegasus knights? I really like them, but I'm always too scared to use them as they seem to die so easily :S

Try to avoid archers and give them javelins, take advantage of the fact that they can fly over mountain terrains etc, just know that they can't take advantage of forest/castle benefits. But the most important thing is the archers XD they will destroy you, basing this on past knowledge though waiting for the European release of this =p. But with this game using the partner system should negate some of their weaknesses, I think.

McNum

Pegasus Knights usually have better than average Resistance, making them decent against (non-wind) magic. They usually have stats like less extreme Myrmidons, meaning that they can be a bit fragile, but they're quick enough to get double attacks. Plus they can pass over most terrain without getting slowed down, which has its uses. Just keep clear of archers, they can take a hit or two by most level appropriate non-bosses, but an archer can take them down fast. Weapons with decent critical stats are nice for a Pegasus Knight.

Of course, another use is as a delivery service. Rescue a tough unit and drop it behind the enemy. Or near something you want to protect.

But with this game using the partner system should negate some of their weaknesses, I think.

Definitely. Using a partner with a high relationship level, you get a significant bonuses across the board (attack strength, hit rate, crit rate, evasion etc), and sometimes the partner'll even block attacks or throw in an attack or two of their own. Give a Pegasus Knight a good partner and they're completely broken for at least the first half of the game on Normal. (I partnered Krom with Sumia a lot and they formed a veritable death machine.)

Nohar

I'm really interested in this FE, since Shadow Dragon wasn't appealing at all to me, and the second one on the DS never left Japan. I'm not really a fan of manga-esque art, but it's still way better than the one used in Shadow Dragon.

So, I'm not sure I will buy it day one when it will be released in Europe, but I'll definitly get it later.
I'm wondering : since romances are involved, does the characters have "true" support conversations (unlike the very generic ones in Radiant Dawn, something which really disappointed me and prevented me from replaying it) ?

To be honest, I'm disappointed that this FE sports DLCs... Gosh do I hate those. Well, I won't buy them, but really... Nah, nevermind, this debate is getting old, and this isn't the place for it.

Boney

Banned
Most of the times I just hop on Manaketes near the end game, 3-4 chapters left seeing you always get space for filler units and they level up so fast during that portion that they really tear everything apart.

PK are usually pretty frail during the start of the game because of their low hp and defense. What I do to level them up is get another unit to weaken enemies first and then use the PK to deal the finishing blow to get most of the experience. Thieves and mages are also very good targets because of their low attack output.

They usually have pretty good growths especially when they're important characters like Sumia appears to be, ending up with decent to good strength and defense and maxing out speed skill luck and having a great resistance fairly quickly.

But yeah, SS is stand alone.

thanks for this, boney - i'm trying out the GBA ones as we speak! the first one doesn't connect to this ambassador one i got, does it? i'm liking it so far, reminds me a bit of the love i had for shining force in the day.

The first GBA one is a prequel to the GBA one we never got, so you're pretty clear in that regard seeing it was pretty much designed to be an introduction to FE, so if you ever get the chance, be sure to try that one as it's my favourite!

Zenaku

To add to what others have said, you should try selecting any and all enemies on the map that have bows, so you'll know where not to leave them. Pair them up with a character that raises their defence while training, maybe even reclass them as a more durable class temporarily to raise their stats a bit.

When it comes to promoting, a Dark Pegasus is definitely best if you have good stats; their lv15 skill is overkill.

Rarutos

Hmm, Serenes Forest only lists females as having certain children. If your My Unit is a female and marries someone, will they have a unique child
other than Mark
? I really shouldn't be spoiling myself so much, but I just really want to play this game!

I'm not exactly certain how the marriage thing works so I could be wrong about some things. Maybe.

Zenaku

Hmm, Serenes Forest only lists females as having certain children. If your My Unit is a female and marries someone, will they have a unique child
other than Mark
? I really shouldn't be spoiling myself so much, but I just really want to play this game!

I'm not exactly certain how the marriage thing works so I could be wrong about some things. Maybe.

Nope, your My Unit's unique child is always "Mark", but their gender will always be the opposite of the MU. A female MU will have a male Mark. Marrying a female MU with a certain character will give you a second child, but general characters give you only Mark.

Rarutos

Nope, your My Unit's unique child is always "Mark", but their gender will always be the opposite of the MU. A female MU will have a male Mark. Marrying a female MU with a certain character will give you a second child, but general characters give you only Mark.

Aah, I see. Thanks for clarifying!
So that means the male My Unit can have two children with almost any female but the female My Unit can't have two children with any male except that certain character, I guess?

CSX

So how good is the class changing system in this game?

The one back on DS was a big turnoff for me. Just felt out of place and worthless.

Zenaku

Aah, I see. Thanks for clarifying!
So that means the male My Unit can have two children with almost any female but the female My Unit can't have two children with any male except that certain character, I guess?

That's right.

So how good is the class changing system in this game?

The one back on DS was a big turnoff for me. Just felt out of place and worthless.
On the lower classes you can reclass or promote after level 10, while at level 20 (or 30 for some classes) you can return them to Lv1 of their current class. Higher classes can be demoted at any level, or reclassed into another higher class after Lv10.

Just started playing today! Got work tomorrow and the day after... but then? THANK YOU Golden Week.

So far 3 female characters have died D: They die so easily. I'm not going to miss their annoying/child like voices though. Oh well.

CSX

Hopefully.

But in all honestly I am actually rather scared this won't make it to the US. Seeing that link certainly doesn't do any favors.

Well if its not coming over, Nintendo's goal of 3x the 3DS success of Japan in North America will take much longer ;)

They definitely wont have my money

Is this remotely import-friendly? I know I'll miss all the dialogue, I'm just wondering if I can muddle through for the time being while I wait on a western release.

Just started playing today! Got work tomorrow and the day after... but then? THANK YOU Golden Week.

So far 3 female characters have died D: They die so easily. I'm not going to miss their annoying/child like voices though. Oh well.

Aww.

The voices are annoying for most of them except for one that I quite like.

StayDead

Started getting to the point where there's more and more field battles to be doing
(Just done chapter 9 last night)
. Using them I find it's so much easier to level certain characters up, might just be the maps more than anything.

Found a great way of finally levelling Donny and I'm quite enjoying his class, I'm looking forward to maxing him out and changing him up to the hero class since he seems to be growing really fast stats wise with each level.

Nohar

I'm wondering : since romances are involved, does the characters have "true" support conversations (unlike the very generic ones in Radiant Dawn, something which really disappointed me and prevented me from replaying it) ?

Can anyone answer this please ? Also, what about magic ? Is the "Fire > Wind > Thunder > Fire" cycle back ? Is there Light magic ? How is Dark magic handled within the game ? Is it superior to all magics ?

Started getting to the point where there's more and more field battles to be doing
(Just done chapter 9 last night)
. Using them I find it's so much easier to level certain characters up, might just be the maps more than anything.

Found a great way of finally levelling Donny and I'm quite enjoying his class, I'm looking forward to maxing him out and changing him up to the hero class since he seems to be growing really fast stats wise with each level.

I was hoping he'd get that stupid pot off his head once I changed his class. :(

C'moooon EU release date. I don't see anything for people that hate tennis between now and NSMB2 Nintendo. That's a helluva long time to go without releasing anything for your handheld. PLEASE.

muu

I was hoping he'd get that stupid pot off his head once I changed his class. :(

That pot is Donni though. I think that body we see is some sort of accessory he wears around.

I'm well aware of that. I shall rephrase: is this import-friendly for a person who owns a Japanese 3DS capable of playing said game but who does not speak/read Japanese?

If you can spend a bit of time figuring out the buttons say, why not? The interface itself is very clear and intuitive.

Truth101

Banned
I'm well aware of that. I shall rephrase: is this import-friendly for a person who owns a Japanese 3DS capable of playing said game but who does not speak/read Japanese?

Not really. Unless you don't care about the characters or story, but then most games are import friendly with a little guess and check.

Takuhi

It wouldn't be any harder or easier than any other Fire Emblem. If you're really familiar with the series, I'm sure you could pull it off.

I don't really remember how they worked in Radiant Dawn, but I believe they're specific to each character pair. They seem to have put a ton of work into them.

Can anyone answer this please ? Also, what about magic ? Is the "Fire > Wind > Thunder > Fire" cycle back ? Is there Light magic ? How is Dark magic handled within the game ? Is it superior to all magics ?

I don't think elements trump each other, if that's what you mean. The elements have slightly different stats, some are more powerful and less accurate, etc. The only Dark Magic spell I have is slightly less powerful but recovers half the damage dealt as HP to the caster.

Nohar

I don't really remember how they worked in Radiant Dawn, but I believe they're specific to each character pair. They seem to have put a ton of work into them.

Oh God, yes !

I don't think elements trump each other, if that's what you mean.

... WHAT ?! Please, tell me you're joking and/or that you never checked. That would be a huge step back.
(At least, it seems that the Nosferatu spell is back).

tiff

Banned
... WHAT ?! Please, tell me you're joking and/or that you never checked. That would be a huge step back.
(At least, it seems that the Nosferatu spell is back).
IS dumped the magic triangle with Shadow Dragon and hasn't brought it back with this game. All offensive magic is under the one Tome category now.

In all honesty I don't really see what the big deal is, it seems like oversimplification but the magic triangle was almost always pretty much irrelevant anyway.

Nohar

Le *gasp* !

This is heresy ! You don't fix what is not broken ;_; WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ?!

... Oh well, I'll survive. Still, it's really disappointing. At least true support conversations are back.

King Boo

for those that played it.

can you go back to reading any support conversations? or do you have to replay the game to see it again?

Le *gasp* !

This is heresy ! You don't fix what is not broken ;_; WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ?!

... Oh well, I'll survive. Still, it's really disappointing. At least true support conversations are back.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is either. Mages in FE9 and 10 could barely damage each other anyway, making the magic triangle pretty useless.

Peff

for those that played it.

can you go back to reading any support conversations? or do you have to replay the game to see it again?

I've read there is, but you need to beat the game once to unlock the support log reader. I assume it works like in FE7/8 where you can just read the conversation, not save and keep it registered.

Top Bottom