• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP) |OT| - A Tale of Swords & Dragons Being 10 Year Olds

tiff

Banned
Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is either. Mages in FE9 and 10 could barely damage each other anyway, making the magic triangle pretty useless.
The only thing the split really did in RD was screw over Ilyana by requiring her to use Discipline or a forge to escape her garbage ranks in the only good magic types.

Nohar

True enough, Ilyana's case is pretty sad. Thunder magic was awfully nerfed in RD (less accurancy, less magic power, and heavier tomes : the hell ?), and when you factor her poor speed growth, she became completly overshadowed by every other sage in the game. Too bad she's the only one able to use the SS Thunder Tome : this one could have been useful to others Sage, such as Soren, Calill, or even
Pelleas

Yeah, I'm not sure what the big deal is either. Mages in FE9 and 10 could barely damage each other anyway, making the magic triangle pretty useless.
It's not a big deal, much like WT didn't do much but depress the mid-low tier units who didn't have enough to overcome the penalty.

Zenaku

Well, the game's officially my most played game, with a total play time of 94 hours and 18 minutes. Still got quite a few support convo's to unlock, but I'm actually speeding it up with better character placement on the 2nd DLC map.

Zenaku

Well, I've got the Magic Warrior DLC, and it's a decent class. Magic is 2 points below Godly Strategist, various other stats have bonuses. It uses swords, axes and tomes, with a Lv30 cap; it gains EXP faster than GS was as well, so hitting max cap stat should be easier.

The item itself functions like a seal, and has to be used on the character you want to promote. Not sure if you get another item each time you complete the map, or if using it once on a character unlocks the class for them permanently.

The body model is unique, but slightly different to the artwork of Alm, so Alm himself still has that "creation character" look about him.

EDIT: The games first free map has been released, as "Gaiden 18". It also has a secret character.

Nohar

First, the next DLC character will be Elincia, from FE:path of radiance/Radiant dawn (though it seems that she traded her sword for a spear... Weird).

Am I the only one to think that she looks like a Knight of the Zodiac ?

Also, I've... got some potentially bad news.

Lors d'une réunion d'actionnaires, Satoru Iwata a apparemment annoncé que rien n'a été décidé concernant une localisation de Fire Emblem : Kakusei en Occident.

Contacté à ce sujet par nos soins, la branche française de Nintendo a déclaré : « nous n'avons malheureusement aucune information et aucune communication officielle concernant ce titre ».

La localisation européenne de ce Tactical-RPG n'est donc pas acquise.

Which roughly translates to :

During a shareholder reunion, it seems that Satoru Iwata annonced that nothing has been decided regarding the localisation of Fire Emblem : Kakusei in Occident.

We contacted them, and the Nintendo French branch declared that : "sadly, we don't have any information or official annoncement regarding that game".

So, the european localisation of this Tactical-RPG is not guaranteed.

Source : www.rpgsoluce.com

I asked the team if they could link their source about Satoru Iwata's declaration.
Edition : source here (in english)
This doesn't sound good at all... Come on, they're not going to do that to us... Please ? ;_;

fates

First, the next DLC character will be Elincia, from FE:path of radiance/Radiant dawn (though it seems that she traded her sword for a spear... Weird).

I asked the team if they could link their source about Satoru Iwata's declaration.

Sounds to me like some basic uninformed response. Wouldn't give it much credence over the official trailer that said it was coming to Europe. Could plans have changed and they decide against it? Maybe, but even then the response would have been more akin to "we do not know when to expect this title for release", not acting like it was never announced.

As for Iwata's statement, you can see it on the summary of that investor conference or whatever it was.

Just waiting for the 777 use Rainbow Potion+ that temp boosts stats by +5. For the low price of 300 yen, of course. Or some broken OP downloadable character. Anyone who says Lunatic is difficult should wait until they're finished with the DLC.

StayDead

Where are you guys getting this OP DLC thing from?

I got Marth from the DLC and seriously, he's not all that powerful. He's level 8 with relatively low stats. He's still a star lord, but that's about it. He doesn't even have any weapons when you get him. Oh, you also can't get support conversations with him or the spotpass characters, so basically you miss out on those benefits of being ranked up with characters.

I'm not too far into the game, only up to
Chapter 12? I think now
even if that is about half way and the second spot pass team I recieve actually outlevel me slightly so I need to level up before I even go for it :X

Just waiting for the 777 use Rainbow Potion+ that temp boosts stats by +5. For the low price of 300 yen, of course. Or some broken OP downloadable character. Anyone who says Lunatic is difficult should wait until they're finished with the DLC.
And I'm waiting for you to stop being such a twit about your dumb definition of difficulty but hey, two things that will never happen

Truth101

Banned

Edition : source here (in english)
This doesn't sound good at all... Come on, they're not going to do that to us... Please ? ;_;

Just a misinterpreted interpretation of what was said. People like being negative even when it has no place in actuality.

And I'm waiting for you to stop being such a twit about your dumb definition of difficulty but hey, two things that will never happen
I'm waiting for you to make a coherent argument instead of post dodging and insults but we can't all get what we want.

I don't know what kind of dramatic experiences you've had on other forums, but I have no idea why you keep being such an ass to people here. And the least you could do is support your own claims, especially if you're harsh with people.
So telling someone they're wrong and to do their research before posting false info is being an ass? Whatever you say. The main issue is ppl aren't willing to do their research and look things up before posting. Maybe I shouldn't have to do people's homework for them. If I tell them they're wrong they could go look for themselves.

There's no way N is going to be able to pull off the same DLC stunt in the next game with the same results. Ppl aren't going to be willing to buy the crossover roster of old FE characters a second or third time around at the same prices, and they might have to raise the price of the cart itself to compensate. They'll likely keep the RPG grinding and dating/mating elements, but if they remove too much of FE's traditional identity, it's going to start to blend in with other similar SRPGs. So I stand by my claim that sales are going to be lower even if they try the same thing that earned them success this time.

Regarding the DLC, the point is to wait until they're finished releasing stuff before making any objective assessment of the game's difficulty. It's likely that players will find something significantly difficulty reducing or some sort of broken DLC is released. I'm not sure how effective grinding is in lunatic mode but I think they should have removed the option to grind from lunatic mode altogether.

muu

I'm waiting for you to make a coherent argument instead of post dodging and insults but we can't all get what we want.

So telling someone they're wrong and to do their research before posting false info is being an ass? Whatever you say. The main issue is ppl aren't willing to do their research and look things up before posting. Maybe I shouldn't have to do people's homework for them. If I tell them they're wrong they could go look for themselves.

There's no way N is going to be able to pull off the same DLC stunt in the next game with the same results. Ppl aren't going to be willing to buy the crossover roster of old FE characters a second or third time around at the same prices, and they might have to raise the price of the cart itself to compensate. They'll likely keep the RPG grinding and dating/mating elements, but if they remove too much of FE's traditional identity, it's going to start to blend in with other similar SRPGs. So I stand by my claim that sales are going to be lower even if they try the same thing that earned them success this time.

Regarding the DLC, the point is to wait until they're finished releasing stuff before making any objective assessment of the game's difficulty. It's likely that players will find something significantly difficulty reducing or some sort of broken DLC is released. I'm not sure how effective grinding is in lunatic mode but I think they should have removed the option to grind from lunatic mode altogether.

You do need to remember this is one of Nintendo's first stabs at real DLC in their first-party lineup. The characters-in-a-DLC thing goes in line with the goals behind Awakening, which was to make a game that encompasses the series to date. You see that in spotpass characters, items, elements borrowed from past series, etc. In the meantime they modernized the art to appeal to new audiences as well. They'll definitely have fans voicing their opinions through Club Nintendo, and with luck they'll be able to steer things in the right direction next time. Hell, we don't even know what the limitations are system-wise; I think it's silly to assume every DLC release is going to only come stringed with a character from series past, or that the map is limited in certain ways, etc. Not two weeks after the release, anyway.

Regarding DLC making things easier, the George and Handsome DLC pits you against foes w/ tons of money that only retaliate. Had a laugh w/ the dialogue (each char has their own commentary on there), but it's definitely a game-breaker DLC if you choose to use it that way. The same goes for the other DLC/spotpass chars/etc, really. I personally think it's great that there's the choice to make the game as easy as you want, or as difficult as you want by limiting access to those elements; I suppose if that isn't enough to satisfy a real Emblem fan's e-peen, they could still keep everything the same and add achievements for beating the game in certain difficulties w/o ever interacting with spotpass/streetpass characters, using random encounters or DLC maps.

StayDead

I still cannot believe how brilliant the music is in this.

Just did the
Intelligent systems usual finish first story then stuff gets serious chapter, 11 I think? So good <3

Peff

i really hope the iwata quote is misinterpreted

i refrained from buying solely because of the eu announcement

There's no way it won't be released worldwide, not after those figures and stock shortages in Japan. People just need to chill out and realize that the "announcement" was just a subtitle added to the Japanese stream with not even a translated logo in sight, so they likely hadn't even started working on it yet. E3 is next month and there will almost certainly be another Nintendo Direct for July-ish, they'll probably give details then.

Do I need to repost the whole "according to your definition of difficulty transferring saves is the best way to beat the game" thing again?

So yeah. I insult your ideas because they deserve to be insulted. Frankly all you do is say "I'm right because I'm right" ignore people who point out flaws in your argument, and then act surprised when people give up on arguing with you.

john tv

Hrm, I got Velvet to level 30, but she can't class up; is it worth reclassing her at this point? I haven't done any reclassing yet; do your stats drop when you do?

Hrm, I got Velvet to level 30, but she can't class up; is it worth reclassing her at this point? I haven't done any reclassing yet; do your stats drop when you do?

They can get dinged a little (and also go up) but levelling will make up for it quickly.

Frederick was starting to get weak, so I classed him back to Social Knight, levelled him to 20 and promoted him back to Great Knight again. His stats were absurd.

Do I need to repost the whole "according to your definition of difficulty transferring saves is the best way to beat the game" thing again?

So yeah. I insult your ideas because they deserve to be insulted. Frankly all you do is say "I'm right because I'm right" ignore people who point out flaws in your argument, and then act surprised when people give up on arguing with you.
Sure, go ahead and quote me, since I said nothing of the sort. You're using strawman quotes to prop up your false accusations and caricatures. On the other FE thread I made this post, the only reply you had was a completely false accusation you're now repeating, which even if it were true, is an ad hominem. Let's look at a summary of your posts related to me in this and the other FE thread.

"Remember, according to your standards, any game that you can transfer saves is unbalanced. If you choose to take the easy way out, that is your fault." falsehood, ad hominem
"Then don't buy them or grind." ordering people around, this is not an argument
"Considering how terrible and dumb past Fire Emblem games scoring systems were this is no great loss." meaningless trash talk
"And I'm waiting for you to stop being such a twit about your dumb definition of difficulty but hey, two things that will never happen" more meaningless trash talk

I don't see anything above resembling an argument with points to back it up. It seems to me you're not interested in any kind of discussion or debate. Looking at your post history, all you seem to do is trash talk and post about grinding in Disgaea.

StayDead

I'm really loving the support characters between
Sumia, Krom and Lukina
. I saw that specific thing coming, but the way it was done I thought was really quite emotional and really well done.

I'm up to chapter
now. Love the map.

What was it someone was saying before about them adding more gaiden chapters for free? :eek:

Free sidequest maps are available via SpotPass. At the moment there's only 1 map, but there'll likely be at least 5 more.

The current sidequest map lets you recruit
Gangrel
. I think it's only available towards the end of the game though. If not, it's hard enough that you need an endgame party to beat it anyway.

King Boo

I've read there is, but you need to beat the game once to unlock the support log reader. I assume it works like in FE7/8 where you can just read the conversation, not save and keep it registered.

alright thanks. this is fine too

StayDead

Free sidequest maps are available via SpotPass. At the moment there's only 1 map, but there'll likely be at least 5 more.

The current sidequest map lets you recruit
Gangrel
. I think it's only available towards the end of the game though. If not, it's hard enough that you need an endgame party to beat it anyway.

I didn't even notice that, I've been getting the teams and the one item I've got so far but didn't see the maps.

I have a random question regarding the teams, I've got one of the streetpass teams on my game which I'm not high enough to beat yet, will they stay there if I summon the two new ones?

"Remember, according to your standards, any game that you can transfer saves is unbalanced. If you choose to take the easy way out, that is your fault." falsehood, ad hominem

No. You say that a player should use any means allowed by the game to win. Any game that lets you use saves transferred over from another system, therefore, according to your own defnition of difficulty is not difficult. I am merely pointing out how dumb your argument by taking it to its logical confusion. You ignore it and passive aggressively claim logical fallacies.

"Then don't buy them or grind." ordering people around, this is not an argument
No. I'm saying that if you find that buying super items or grinding makes the game too easy then don't do it. Nowhere does the game require you to do it. In fact, in natural, normal play it doesn't come up. In other words, the only way to make the game "too easy" is to play it in an unnatural way.

"Considering how terrible and dumb past Fire Emblem games scoring systems were this is no great loss." meaningless trash talk

No, older Fire Emblem games did have a dumb scoring system that was often counter-intuitive and frankly unfun. To get a good "Tactics" score you needed to ignore 2/3rds of the units and just rush around with 1 or two horseman. To get a good "Funds" score you needed to not use any of the items you get. Which is, again, counter intuitive. These items are meant to be used. The game punishing you for it with a bad score is poor design.

"And I'm waiting for you to stop being such a twit about your dumb definition of difficulty but hey, two things that will never happen" more meaningless trash talk

No this was me insulting you after getting tired of your arrogance, baseless pessimism, and general passive aggressive pettiness.

I didn't even notice that, I've been getting the teams and the one item I've got so far but didn't see the maps.

I have a random question regarding the teams, I've got one of the streetpass teams on my game which I'm not high enough to beat yet, will they stay there if I summon the two new ones?

You can always re-summon them. And they will stay.

StayDead

You can always re-summon them. And they will stay.

Thanks, I found out about that just after I posted it but forgot to change my post. I'm not sure if I recieved more, but when I rechecked my streetpass team inbox I had 2 options rather than just the one I had yesterday which has all the previous streetpass teams in it. Tried a few but realised I'm still a wee bit too low level right now to do most of them. I'll carry on with the main story first I guess. ^^

Thanks, I found out about that just after I posted it but forgot to change my post. I'm not sure if I recieved more, but when I rechecked my streetpass team inbox I had 2 options rather than just the one I had yesterday which has all the previous streetpass teams in it. Tried a few but realised I'm still a wee bit too low level right now to do most of them. I'll carry on with the main story first I guess. ^^

You can buy their items or recruit them if you can afford it!

Mit-

Can anyone just spoil the plot for me? I'll probably never actually play this but I think it's pretty and like the characters. I just want to know if that other dude is Marth or some crazy time traveling younger form of him. He's wearing almost the exact same clothes as the DLC Marth...

Can anyone just spoil the plot for me? I'll probably never actually play this but I think it's pretty and like the characters. I just want to know if that other dude is Marth or some crazy time traveling younger form of him. He's wearing almost the exact same clothes as the DLC Marth...

It's Crom's daughter Lucina from the future,
sent back to avert the apocalypse that happens in her time.

Am so excited for this. Looks like the first real "serious" 3DS game from Nintendo, in terms of graphics and of course FE's strategy gameplay.

Thank you. Google was not proving itself useful. I'm guessing that ties into the DLC characters' inclusions as well.
No, the DLC characters are completely unrelated. The side story for the DLC is that there's another world with magic talismans that have the power to summon ancient heroes. These aren't the heroes themselves, but sort of copies of the hero as drawn on the talisman. (Hence all the different artists doing the illustrations.)

john tv

They can get dinged a little (and also go up) but levelling will make up for it quickly.

Frederick was starting to get weak, so I classed him back to Social Knight, levelled him to 20 and promoted him back to Great Knight again. His stats were absurd.
OK I feel stupid now -- just realized you can reclass to the same class and just continue to build from level 1 again. My Lukina is fast becoming a Terminator -- took Master Lord to 20 and now reclassed her back to level 1. :)

john tv

Just finished it. Took me 40 hours (Normal, Classic, didn't let anyone die).

Until now, Path of Radiance was my favorite FE, but this one maaaaay top it. Need to let it sink in for a bit.

This game is now officially my most played app/game on 3DS at 39 hours, beating out the Web Browser for No. 1 (36 hours). I've been grinding/had to start again (killed off Rizu in the first chapter in my original play-through). Got my first S-rank
Gaia and Tiamo
and am just playing the gaiden to get
their child
. Having a whole lot of fun messing about and learning what I'm doing (first FE game) but I can't believe I've never played the series before, it's great.
For example, I didn't know you could select units for each battle, I though the game picked who was fighting for you....20 hours in I realised and had half the cast on <lvl 5...so embarrassing

Just completed the Micaiah DLC.

DLC spoilers:
Like all the DLC chapters, after you complete it and before you go back to the main game, the DLC character asks you a question that ties into their own story in the game they appeared in. In Micaiah's case, she asks you if you'd be willing to do anything, no matter how dirty or terrible it was, to protect the people you love if you were in a hopeless battle. I picked no and she responded that I was right, even though I'd lose and get all of the people I care about killed. She then went on to briefly talk about how she made the wrong decision back when she was still alive/a real person.

I just found it kind of fascinating considering the conversation that went on in the DLC about her character.

IrishNinja

There's no way it won't be released worldwide, not after those figures and stock shortages in Japan. People just need to chill out and realize that the "announcement" was just a subtitle added to the Japanese stream with not even a translated logo in sight, so they likely hadn't even started working on it yet. E3 is next month and there will almost certainly be another Nintendo Direct for July-ish, they'll probably give details then.

man, i hope you're right.
and latest DLC from Sacred Stones, eh? i'm working on Fire Emblem (GBA) and Path of Radiance, but that's my next one!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Top Bottom