• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I think i'm going to just roll with the way the devs intended classic mode to be...and if a character passes on (unless it's someone like Lissa), then i'll just let them rest. Seems like resetting over and over cheapens the intended gameplay.

So far the only pairing I'm set on is Frederick and Miriel. They both seem like the stoic type. It's too bad, because they're my two best units so combining them is annoying lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think i'm going to just roll with the way the devs intended classic mode to be...and if a character passes on (unless it's someone like Lissa), then i'll just let them rest. Seems like resetting over and over cheapens the intended gameplay.

You shouldn't be resetting THAT much, unless you're playing a higher difficulty on classic.

Teknoman

You shouldn't be resetting THAT much, unless you're playing a higher difficulty on classic.

Decided to start on hard mode since I figured I was pretty experienced with SRPGs. :p Honestly the only time i've had people die is after making dumb mistakes or trying to rush level someone low in the middle of a story battle.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Now that I'm unemployed and no longer sulking about it I'm finally going to get my teeth into this. So far the only system I'm not sure how to use properly is the pairing up. It feels like a paired unit is a wasted opportunity to level up, but maybe I would just need to learn to switch them when appropriate. I haven't noticed but do they gain "points" for support convos when paired up? That affects the percentage of a paired unit attacking I'm assuming?

This game has so much to offer it's overwhelming!

GSR

I think I've been overdoing it on the skirmishes - when one pops up I can't leave it be. Now I'm ridiculously overpowered for the main story, haha.

On the plus side this lets me swap in units I'd have otherwise kept benched to make things interesting. Love that crazy-ass Henry, wish he'd shown up earlier.

Now that I'm unemployed and no longer sulking about it I'm finally going to get my teeth into this. So far the only system I'm not sure how to use properly is the pairing up. It feels like a paired unit is a wasted opportunity to level up, but maybe I would just need to learn to switch them when appropriate. I haven't noticed but do they gain "points" for support convos when paired up? That affects the percentage of a paired unit attacking I'm assuming?

They gain points when paired up. You can see it when the hearts pop up though kinda on top of each other.

The chances of dual strike and dual block rises the higher level of support you have between the two characters.

Regarding pairing up, I do wish I could switch the leading character and then move.

ohlawd

Any action that results in hearts popping up counts as points for support convos.
Higher ranks in support grants more support bonuses and higher percentages of paired attacking and blocking.

chrono01

I have a question about Armsthrift. Does it apply to Spells as well, or just Weapons? I'm not sure since you "equip" Spells jsut as you do Swords/Axes/etc.

Noire is stalking Inigo. Like mother, like daughter. Not as good as Tharja stalking MU though.

Yes! That's what I did too! Thought it was too good. Too bad I only got them up to B rank Support before I finished the last chapter :( I'll have to go back and fix that soon.

So without realizing it until it was too late I got the Tactician and Lissa to S rank, thus bonding them together for life :( Does that mean my avatar's relationship with every other woman is limited to A? Guessing the S Rank is marriage in every case.

Further emphasis: Damn it I married Lissa ;-;

Chrom

I have a question about Armsthrift. Does it apply to Spells as well, or just Weapons? I'm not sure since you "equip" Spells jsut as you do Swords/Axes/etc.

I am not certain, but I believe it should apply to both. I know for sure that it works for stones, so it ought to work for tomes as well.

chrono01

I am not certain, but I believe it should apply to both. I know for sure that it works for stones, so it ought to work for tomes as well.

Perfect, thanks so much.

If it works for Stones, I'm sure it works for Spells as well [if it didn't, that would be terribly...terrible disappointing]. It seems I have some grinding to do!

Teknoman

So without realizing it until it was too late I got the Tactician and Lissa to S rank, thus bonding them together for life :( Does that mean my avatar's relationship with every other woman is limited to A? Guessing the S Rank is marriage in every case.

Further emphasis: Damn it I married Lissa ;-;

lol she's cute, thats who i'm going after so far anyway. Btw how do you make money? Just selling stuff, or do battles eventually start netting you gold?

I think I've been overdoing it on the skirmishes - when one pops up I can't leave it be. Now I'm ridiculously overpowered for the main story, haha.

On the plus side this lets me swap in units I'd have otherwise kept benched to make things interesting. Love that crazy-ass Henry, wish he'd shown up earlier.

I'm having the same problem. I need to ignore the random little battles that pop up. When I finally do get back to the story it's kind of a joke it's so easy. I feel like I'm 5 levels beyond where I should be at least.

But yeah it is nice to be able to mess around with some of the other characters. At the same time, I hesitate to use some of the characters that don't have relationship options. Seems like a waste if they can't rank up.

For like 5-6 chapters I was pairing everyone. If I could get 8 characters I'd have 4 "paired up" pairs, and never unpaired them during a battle. Probably not the best way to fight but it worked and I ranked up support a lot and got everyone married. Now I'm focusing on leveling up the lower-leveled characters, which are generally the ones that paired with the more powerful units b

Chrom

Btw how do you make money? Just selling stuff, or do battles eventually start netting you gold?

The common way to make money is to defeat enemies with Bullions on them, usually from the neverending Risen.

Give someone with high Luck the Armsthrift and Despoil skills. Works great too.

Teknoman

The common way to make money is to defeat enemies with Bullions on them, usually from the neverending Risen.

Do the Risen randomly pop up on the map by just walking back and forth? I'm only in chapter 5 and so far i've only run into them once, and two more streetpass units that were just a little stronger than I was.

Do the Risen randomly pop up on the map by just walking back and forth? I'm only in chapter 5 and so far i've only run into them once, and two more streetpass units that were just a little stronger than I was.

They can randomly pop up or you can buy a Reeking Box and summon them.

some town sells you this item that spawns Risen (500 gold normal, I think 4000 on hard). Grinding that free dlc map is nice for prepromotion levels and for support levels. You can also summon spotpass teams at will.

options :)

Chrom

I'm not entirely sure how they appear, but I feel confident in saying that simply moving around on the world map won't do.

ohlawd

Risen might pop up after finishing a sidequest or chapter. Sometimes, I've had monsters and shopkeepers shuffle around after not playing for a while.

Draxal

Give Hero Donnel (should have high luck/and armsthrift) Leif's Blade as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I feel really stupid for asking this, but when I'm viewing at a weapon in a store, do the red and green arrows with numbers in the "equip" column represent the difference in that item's STR/MAG from the unit's currently-equipped item?

Wow, at first my Sumia was a beast, but now she's levelled off and is above average. I blame Chrom for that one. =(

Although now Lon'Qu has some godly speed and decent defense. The man is insane, barely needs to be paired up and crits all the time.

Teknoman

some town sells you this item that spawns Risen (500 gold normal, I think 4000 on hard). Grinding that free dlc map is nice for prepromotion levels and for support levels. You can also summon spotpass teams at will.

options :)

They can randomly pop up or you can buy a Reeking Box and summon them.

I'm not entirely sure how they appear, but I feel confident in saying that simply moving around on the world map won't do.

Yeah the box is 4k on hard, and after walking around a little, they dont pop while moving on the map. Seems like free dlc map and spot pass maps will be the way to go. Kinda surprised I havent run into any enemies with bullion yet. I should probably stop holding onto outclassed weapons as back up too.

lol she's cute, thats who i'm going after so far anyway. Btw how do you make money? Just selling stuff, or do battles eventually start netting you gold?

Most of my money has come from selling off enemy bullions, they drop quite frequently and I've never been short on cash.

I was exaggerating about Lissa to some degree, she is amusing and the playful interaction with the avatar cute but some of the other potential "waifus" were a bit more interesting. Plus her youthful nature is rather prevalent and marrying her off made me feel a bit uncomfortable. :D

I made her a War Cleric (got lucky in regards to her STR) though and her stats are insane so it was a good decision in the end. Together they really just destroy everything in their path. Tempted to knock the difficulty up to hard as with all of my units being in some form of relationship now there are so many stat bonuses and I haven't had anyone die in a while. Perhaps on the next playthough as I am playing classic mode, suppose hard would only increase the time I have to grind.

Poyunch

Cordelia with Lon qu is probably the best (as in Cordelia not gonna NTR the guy in a week after marriage), also their growths work really well together to make you a fast lethal severa :3

I'm an idiot to not realize the best couple ever.

But I want to couple Lon Qu with Anna. :(

Teknoman

Most of my money has come from selling off enemy bullions, they drop quite frequently and I've never been short on cash.

I was exaggerating about Lissa to some degree, she is amusing and the playful interaction with the avatar cute but some of the other potential "waifus" were a bit more interesting. Plus her youthful nature is rather prevalent and marrying her off made me feel a bit uncomfortable. :D

I made her a War Cleric (got lucky in regards to her STR) though and her stats are insane so it was a good decision in the end. Together they really just destroy everything in their path. Tempted to knock the difficulty up to hard as with all of my units being in some form of relationship now there are so many stat bonuses and I haven't had anyone die in a while. Perhaps on the next playthough as I am playing classic mode, suppose hard would only increase the time I have to grind.

Hopefully I start finding more enemies with bullion, but yeah I think I also need to stop hording items lol. As for support, i'm not that far yet, so my opinion might change.

EDIT: Enemies might be time dependent too, since sometimes i'll open the 3DS from sleep and get an updating map message.

EDIT: Enemies might be time dependent too, since sometimes i'll open the 3DS from sleep and get an updating map message.

Yeah, been a bit confused about how exactly that respawn system for random enemy groups works. Sometimes I'll close my 3DS after a battle and reopen and a new horde will spawn where other times I'll go two battles and a paralogue before it will.

Does buying the DLC packs grant club nintendo coins? Believe this is the only game to currently offer dlc on the 3DS so not much else to draw from.

Giolon

How exactly do the random spawns work in this game? I can't figure out if they just happen after every X amount of game time, or if it's X amount of time passing w/o the game running or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom