• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get a new character out of Champions of Yore? And does she have her own unique character model?
The first one nets you Marth, Fire Emblem 1's hero. He just reuses FEA Marth's model without the mask.
The seconds nets you Roy, Fire Emblem 6's hero. He just uses a generic mercenary model with red hair.
The third nets you Micaiah, one of Fire Emblem 10's heros/heroines. She just uses Tharja's model with her head plastered on top.

The DLC is really lame.

Oh man I need to go back and find my GBA SP so I can play that. So many good memories.
My GBA SP can barely hold a charge now. ;_;

I recently put it in my DS Lite after getting nostalgic, luckily had a save right when Eliwood strikes the Fire Dragon with Durandal. Best finisher ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My GBA SP can barely hold a charge now. ;_;

I recently put it in my DS Lite after getting nostalgic, luckily had a save right when Eliwood strikes the Fire Dragon with Durandal. Best finisher ever.

Yea I might need to dig out my gamecube and do the GBA on TV thing. I wish they had made Blazing Sword the ambassador game and not Sacred Stones.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If an enemy hit rate is 50 and crit rate is 45, does that mean it has a 50% chance of hitting and 45% chance of getting a critical or a 50% chance of hitting and a 45% chance the 50% chance will be a critical?

scy

That's still a level per 30 seconds.
Unless you mean 10 EXP from the entire map though.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. That's per map; 1 EXP per unit killed, 10 units at most from a SpotPass map.

If an enemy hit rate is 50 and crit rate is 45, does that mean it has a 50% chance of hitting and 45% chance of getting a critical or a 50% chance of hitting and a 45% chance the 50% chance will be a critical?

The latter; a crit must first pass the hit chance before it tries to roll the crit.

Yawnier

Banned
Just beat Chapter 6 and wow, that plot twist (for lack of a better word or term)

Somewhat Major Spoilers:
I'm new to FE and all that, but Marth is a girl WTF?! That was a surprise.

Roto13

Just beat Chapter 6 and wow, that plot twist (for lack of a better word or term)

Somewhat Major Spoilers:
I'm new to FE and all that, but Marth is a girl WTF?! That was a surprise.

This Marth is a brand new character for this game. :p It's not the same Marth as in Smash Bros. and stuff.

Drago

I'm at chapter 15 and I'm in love with the game so far.

I may replay it when I'm finished, except on hard/classic instead of normal/casual. It's a bit too easy as of now, but I'm a beginner so I have an excuse :p

Welp, Sumia and Cordelia both died in Chapter 23.

I said fuck it and continued.

I am so sick of flying units in this game. It doesn't matter if they have 50 speed, they still get one-shot by the enemy reinforcements with the silver bows.

No other Fire Emblem game has managed to make flying units so useless. Why is there no Delphi Shield?

Cherche is still awesome, though, but seriously, Sumia and Cordelia deserved to die. Fuck them.

NeonZ

Okay thanks, I didn't know that since I've gone into this game pretty much 100% blind/media blackout.

Remember when "Marth" first introduced himself and Chrom wondered if he was named after "the Hero King of old?". That "Hero King" is the original Marth, the character who appeared in SSB.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm going to go with Blazing Sword due to the fact that I broke this game open way too easily with all the leveling capabilities, so I want to try one where I have to really make a streamlined, effective party.

Also, is there anywhere I can look up the sprite work in FE games? I can't seem to find any sprites on serenesforest and wanted to see if there is anywhere I can look up all the playable characters in the different games to see how their sprites looked

I'm stuck on Paralogue 10. All of my characters are fine, but
Severa
keeps getting killed. She just plows ahead, and while I can keep up with her movement I can't kill all the guys around her and she gets targeted and killed in a single turn.

Should I split up into two groups? One to take the guys on the left (and rush the boss) and another to try to kill the guys ahead of her path?

This is exactly where I am. Make sure one of your units is an extra healing unit. Have that unit cast rescue 3-4 times while you make your way North. Take out the bulk of the enemy's forces during those turns, and be very careful with your flying characters (I have mine take out the axe throwing guys on the right side before switching them out).

Also, don't do what I just did and assume that you're safe and the game is done throwing reinforcements at you. Once she reaches Holland, You'll have another set of units to the north. One of which 1HKO'd a flying unit after clearing 80% of the map for me just now. : (

I am so sick of flying units in this game. It doesn't matter if they have 50 speed, they still get one-shot by the enemy reinforcements with the silver bows.

No other Fire Emblem game has managed to make flying units so useless. Why is there no Delphi Shield?

Cherche is still awesome, though, but seriously, Sumia and Cordelia deserved to die. Fuck them.

Pair up makes flying units great since you can ride one to where you want to go and the switch back.

Sumia is beast also.

Pair up makes flying units great since you can ride one to where you want to go and the switch back.

Sumia is beast also.

That's what I do with Cherche/Gaius. The problem is when you actually want to have them in the lead. Then they suck.

Haar in RD was GOD. I miss Haar.

Now it's all Severa and Lucina.

That's what I do with Cherche/Gaius. The problem is when you actually want to have them in the lead. Then they suck.

Haar in RD was GOD. I miss Haar.

Now it's all Severa and Lucina.

I will say that the existence of Wind magic really hurts the Pegasus riders. It's hard enough keeping them away from longbows. One of the big advantages for Pegasus riders though was that they could hold their own in Resistance. Wind magic just kills that though. It's an extra vulnerability that makes them hard to put on the front lines.

Frolow

Banned
Robin and Lissa are making a great team so far, +4 Magic and +3 Def goes a long way. I should probably marry them.

Speaking of which, I heard someone say Chrom has to get married by a certain chapter. Is this true? If it is then I need to get someone in line for him soon.

Doorman

Robin and Lissa are making a great team so far, +4 Magic and +3 Def goes a long way. I should probably marry them.

Speaking of which, I heard someone say Chrom has to get married by a certain chapter. Is this true? If it is then I need to get someone in line for him soon.

Chrom will automatically marry at the end of chapter
, to whichever eligible female he has the highest support with at the time (and who isn't already married to someone else). It's required for the story to continue on after that point and it's the only forced marriage in the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

On the other hand, this is the first FE game I'm actually using flying units seriously (well, yeah, there was Haar, but I guess I mean pegasus units more specifically). Cordelia and Cherche have both been awesome. Sumia was decent, but she ended up getting dropped since her strength and defense weren't going anywhere (but she had skill and speed almost capped by level 15 peg knight!)

And Lissa is currently a Dark Flier for me after hitting 20 at Sage. She's an absolute monster now, even without lances.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm going to go with Blazing Sword due to the fact that I broke this game open way too easily with all the leveling capabilities, so I want to try one where I have to really make a streamlined, effective party.

Also, is there anywhere I can look up the sprite work in FE games? I can't seem to find any sprites on serenesforest and wanted to see if there is anywhere I can look up all the playable characters in the different games to see how their sprites looked

Try here

http://www.feplanet.net/sprites-archive-battle-animations/7/2832

lyn_lord_sword.gif
eliwood_lord_sword.gif
hector_lord_axe.gif

Frolow

Banned
Chrom will automatically marry at the end of chapter
, who whichever eligible female he has the highest support with at the time (and who isn't already married to someone else). It's required for the story to continue on after that point and it's the only forced marriage in the game.

That makes sense, thanks.
Now I wonder what happens if Lissa is the one with the highest support by then? Hmm...

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Delphi Shield is a DLC skill gained from beating Lyn's challenge in the 4th set (I think?) of DLC maps, the team red vs team blue ones.

You can play it repeatedly to get multiple copies of the scroll that teaches it, but yes, it is pretty stupid. Your other alternative for some of the kids is to have them get bowbreaker from their dad.

And I do so miss the old sprites. Awakening's are leaps and bounds ahead of Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn's, and Shadow Dragon's, but there's something about those old sprite animations I just really miss.

That makes sense, thanks.
Now I wonder what happens if Lissa is the one with the highest support by then? Hmm...
He's not marrying his sister you sicko. :p

He'll marry a random villager.

And I do so miss the old sprites. Awakening's are leaps and bounds ahead of Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn's, and Shadow Dragon's, but there's something about those old sprite animations I just really miss.
No amount of polygons beats great 2D spritework imo.

Not necessarily. You'll level up more slowly afterwards, so you don't need to rush it unless you want quicker access to new skills.

I typically wait until they're in the 15-20 range before upgrading.

Exception would be Lissa, who I made a Sage as soon as possible, because it was always a hassle trying to level her through her staff skills.

Nohar

Should I be upgrading the classes of my guys as soon as they reach level 10?

That's a recurring question. It depends on what you're aiming to gain: stats or skills. I don't have this FE title yet (European), but it seems that :
- If you want to gain stats quickly, do not promote as soon as you reached the 10th level, because a promoted character will level-up slower than an unpromoted one.
- It seems you learn skills every 5 levels in this FE title (for what I gathered). Some 15th and 20th level skills might not be interesting, prompting you to promote characters early, in order to unlock the "useful" ones. With the introduction of Change Seals, promoting units early then reclassing them once they learned the skills you want seems to be a very viable option.

In others FE titles, promoting an unit before she reached the 20th level in her "basic" class would be considered an heresy (except for some classes, such as Priests). In this FE, everything is different, since you can gain infinite experience.

So, it seems that both options are variabe, though one may be more interesting than the other, depending on characters and your difficulty settings.

On a side note: please, give us a new 2D FE title. Blazing Sword's animations were so cool and smooth... Honestly, I don't understand why they choosed the art-style they used in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem... And Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn didn't succeed in capturing the awesomeness of the 2D titles's animations.

Doorman

Which is why I said "eligible" females. :p Chrom can support with Lissa, but not up to S-rank which means no marraige for them. Additionally, there are a few other female characters that you do get by then (like Cordelia and Tharja) but don't support with Chrom at all, so they aren't potential brides.

Chrom and Sumia (for whatever reason) are seemingly the only units with major restrictions on who they can or cannot marry. All of the other unpromoted units you receive (aside from some late-game characters and I suppose Anna) can pretty much open season with each other, so you can work the rest of them out however you please. Chrom is the only one who technically MUST get married, and is the only one with a hard deadline for it.

It's the exageration of the animations, the games with 3D models just don't have that.

I do wish that basic and promoted classes had different battle animations though in this game.

It really showed in the GBA and the GCN/Wii games that being promoted meant your movements in battle were flashier and so much cooler to look at.

Roto13

While I like the dynamic camera angles and the extra detail for the 3d stuff I really do prefer the spirtes. Nothing anybody does in this is close to being as awesome as the critical attacks for swordmasters.
carlyle_swordmaster_sword.gif

Assassin's instant kill attack is pretty awesome to look at though. :p

Esura

Banned
Two strikes, first one is Sol and the second is Luna.

Sol and Luna? Whats that?

It's a gundam thing, blond masked guy with possibly mysterious origins. With the right hair color, Gerome can basically be one.

Ohhh. Only Gundam I ever watched was Gundam Wing with the Heero Yui dude.

It's actually have Chrom marry Olivia, then Avatar marry Lucina and then Morgan marry Inigo.

That would be like Morgan marrying her uncle....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom