• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
While I like the dynamic camera angles and the extra detail for the 3d stuff I really do prefer the spirtes. Nothing anybody does in this is close to being as awesome as the critical attacks for swordmasters.
carlyle_swordmaster_sword.gif

Personally, for me it's Lyn with Sol Katti.

lyn_bladelord_solkatti_zpse9949daf.gif

Sol and Luna? Whats that?

Two skills (which as said, are combined into Aether, following Ike's skill in FE9 and 10). Sol hits normally but heals you for half, and Luna negates half of the enemy resistance/defense. Both (and aether) have a trigger % = to your skill rating, but are boosted by Chrom's level 15 Great Lord skill.

Man, having Aether + Ignis would absolutely destroy things if they both could go off at the same time (not sure if they can). That would make Morgan absolutely tear through everyone.

Nohar

Sol and Luna? Whats that?

Skills.
Sol: Your unit will attack the enemy with a stronger blow, and heals its HP by the same amount of damage dealt.
Luna: Your unit will attack the enemy with a blow which will negates the enemy's defense stat (not sure if in this FE title the defense is cut by half or dropped to 0, though I guess it's the former).

Her regular critical animation with a sword as a Blade Lord is cooler, imho.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not necessarily. You'll level up more slowly afterwards, so you don't need to rush it unless you want quicker access to new skills.

Yep, in fact I'd recommend against it in most cases. That was one thing I had read around the release of the game - it didn't matter what level you use a master seal at due to reclassing and infinite experience. So I promoted a lot of my characters in the low to mid teens before realizing this made them level up a lot slower, and in a lot of cases I regret that.

Lately I've found it better to work through at least two base classes and then promote, and a third isn't out of the question if I want another skill. Gregor and Severa are probably my two best units at level 5 in their first promoted class.

Gregor went 10-20(Merc)->1-20(Myrmidon)->1-10(Barbarian)->Berserker.

Severa went 10-20(Merc)->1-20(Myrmidon)->Swordmaster.

And with Champions of Yore 3 grinding a character through the base classes like that takes no time at all.

Esura

Banned
Sol is a strike where you recover half of the damage as HP.

Luna cuts the enemy's defense in half before you strike.

Two skills (which as said, are combined into Aether, following Ike's skill in FE9 and 10). Sol hits normally but heals you for half, and Luna negates half of the enemy resistance/defense. Both (and aether) have a trigger % = to your skill rating, but are boosted by Chrom's level 15 Great Lord skill.

Man, having Aether + Ignis would absolutely destroy things if they both could go off at the same time (not sure if they can). That would make Morgan absolutely tear through everyone.

Skills.
Sol: Your unit will attack the enemy with a stronger blow, and heals its HP by the same amount of damage dealt.
Luna: Your unit will attack the enemy with a blow which will negates the enemy's defense stat (not sure if in this FE title the defense is cut by half or dropped to 0, though I guess it's the former).

Her regular critical animation with a sword as a Blade Lord is cooler, imho.

Holy crap that sounds wickedly sick.

Morgan...Lucina is gonna be your moms now. :p

NeonZ

I prefer standard attacks in Awakening to the GBA games. The battles just flow much better, without the odd "walk back to our positions" animations and the addition of many extra animations for basic attacks rather than just repeating the same one twice.

On the other hand, the game basically has no special animations for critical hits and skill uses, aside from the cut in and some extra effects, and that's a bit disappointing, I guess. Still, overall I prefer watching Awakening's battles to the ones of any previous FE. I really hope they make another game with this engine just to perfect it, kind of like FE7 took the FE6 engine pretty blatantly, didn't cut anything and added tons of improvements everywhere. I'd mention Radiant Dawn too, but they did cut and change some Path of Radiance features there, rather than just improving everything.

I am so sick of flying units in this game. It doesn't matter if they have 50 speed, they still get one-shot by the enemy reinforcements with the silver bows.

The only use I have for Flying Units is to pair them up with someone stronger, move across the map quickly, and then swap so the stronger unit is in front.

I prefer standard attacks in Awakening to the GBA games. The battles just flow much better, without the odd "walk back to our positions" animations and the addition of many extra animations for basic attacks rather than just repeating the same one twice.

On the other hand, the game basically has no special animations for critical hits and skill uses, aside from the cut in and some extra effects, and that's a bit disappointing, I guess. Still, overall I prefer watching Awakening's battles to the ones of any previous FE. I really hope they make another game with this engine just to perfect it, kind of like FE7 took the FE6 engine pretty blatantly, didn't cut anything and added tons of improvements everywhere.

I do agree, the flow for this game works a lot better. Though, don't really think it matches with Radiant Dawn's battles. Those definitely had the best flow of the games, the best seen since the SNES days.

lyn_bladelord_solkatti_zpse9949daf.gif

lyn's normal attack is better with that sword cuz of boob bounce.

NeonZ

I do agree, the flow for this game works a lot better. Though, don't really think it matches with Radiant Dawn's battles. Those definitely had the best flow of the games, the best seen since the SNES days.

Radiant Dawn still kept some of the stiff walking animations from Path of Radiance though, which could look rather silly and slow at times, especially with the generals and soldiers. Awakening sometimes ends up with characters just "dashing" through large spaces if the enemies end up far away from them and they'll follow up with a melee attack, almost like they're flying, but that still looks much better than just slowly walking all the way like in Radiant Dawn.

Radiant Dawn still kept some of the stiff walking animations from Path of Radiance though, which could look rather silly and slow at times, especially with the generals and soldiers. Awakening sometimes ends up with characters just "dashing" through large spaces if the enemies end up far away from them and they'll follow up with a melee attack, almost like they're flying, but that still looks much better than just slowly walking all the way like in Radiant Dawn.

Seeing my Kellam slide across the battle might make the battles go faster but looks completely unrealistic.

Also this.

Esura

Banned
Yeah, the first western released one. Cool, strong, and kind. One of my favourite characters. Lucina definitely reminds me of her.

I should play that after Awakening...when I find a deal on it.

Limited EXP in that like Shining Force games right?

PBalfredo

I don't which game started this, but I rather dislike flying units being weak against wind magic. Having high resistance and being the army's mage-killers is suppose to be Pegasus Knight's thing. Why diminish that role with them being weak to one of the three main types of (anima) magic? Also, in the Radiant games at least, wyverns were weak against lightning, which is fine since weakness to magic is suppose to be their main drawback. Strange that aspect has been lost.

I don't which game started this, but I rather dislike flying units being weak against wind magic. Having high resistance and being the army's mage-killers is suppose to be Pegasus Knight's thing. Why diminish that role with them being weak to one of the three main types of (anima) magic? Also, in the Radiant games at least, wyverns were weak against lightning, which is fine since weakness to magic is suppose to be their main drawback. Strange that aspect has been lost.

Diminished role? The pairing system makes flying units more useful than they have ever been. You can switch at any time and prevent that flying unit from being exposed to its weaknesses.

Doorman

Who's Kellam?

Some guy...I thought I read about someone like that being in the game but I haven't seen him yet.

Really I miss the magic triangle in general...they give us multiple types of "normal" magic which makes all the mages feel rather generic, but then also give us "dark" magic that's only usable by two classes and does nothing differently than the rest of the magic aside from Nosferatu? What was the point? Agreed on the pegasi weakness to wind magic as well. Yes, it makes sense, but then...what are pegasus knights supposed to be effective against? Myrmidons? It seems like they really limited their combat ability here for the sake of making them more of a support role.

papercamm

Really I miss the magic triangle in general...they give us multiple types of "normal" magic which makes all the mages feel rather generic, but then also give us "dark" magic that's only usable by two classes and does nothing differently than the rest of the magic aside from Nosferatu? What was the point? Agreed on the pegasi weakness to wind magic as well. Yes, it makes sense, but then...what are pegasus knights supposed to be effective against? Myrmidons? It seems like they really limited their combat ability here for the sake of making them more of a support role.

Yeah, so far using Tharja feels very similar to using Ricken or my avatar, the only real difference being Nosferatu.

johnsmith

remember me
I really don't like Fire Emblems that have a map and let you grind. They are impossible to balance and always end up too easy. I started playing this on hard because of this, and while I struggled at first, now I"m breezing past every story fight because I overleveled with the DLC. I think Path of Radiance handled things best, where you only had story fights, but then had bonus XP to help you catch up units that fell behind.

I really don't like Fire Emblems that have a map and let you grind. They are impossible to balance and always end up too easy. I started playing this on hard because of this, and while I struggled at first, now I"m breezing past every story fight because I overleveled with the DLC. I think Path of Radiance handled things best, where you only had story fights, but then had bonus XP to help you catch up units that fell behind.

It's worse here because you don't even need to grind. Just playing through the optional paralogue missions will break the difficulty for the main game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What should I promote Kellam to?

General. He becomes an impenetrable wall, watch your foes break their lances and swords and axes against him. Also their magic doesn't do shit either. He also hits hard. Kellam's way OP as a General.

It's worse here because you don't even need to grind. Just playing through the optional paralogue missions will break the difficulty for the main game.

I like how Blazing Sword handled the optional missions. Do something specific in a mission and you get an optional one. If you could manage the action in the regular mission odds are the optional mission wouldn't be too bad. Though I remember a few had anti-magic zones covering most of the map. Those were nuts. I think one had that and Fog of War.

It is quite a waste that there are still different types of magic but there really enough to differentiates them enough from each other. Fire's the balanced one, Thunder's the strongest but inaccurate and Wind is the weakest, the most accurate and also has effective damage against filers. Even if wind is the weakest, since most units don't really have resistance, you can easily just go with wind for most of the game and not notice much of a difference.

At least the higher level of dark magic have different effects, with Ruin having 50 critical, everyone's favorite Nosferatu and Waste being a brave weapon.

Pegasus are pretty much pair up carriers and Galeforce pass downers.

Gestahl

Pegasi are supposed to be strong all rounders that can duck in between archer range and take out critical units and Wyverns are supposed to basically be flying generals, but half the enemies in the mid-lategame carry bows and wind magic and there are no chokepoints to defend so both classes generally end up feeling pretty worthless after say CH16. Stark contrast from FE8 where Tana and Cormag would go on a tear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Which FE are these from?

Blazing Sword. The first Fire Emblem game to come to the West. I still think it had the best story. Also Lyn was a boss. She gets one game she doesn't even star in and Lightning (who is way worse) get like two or three? No justice in the world. None at all.

IceIpor

Huh, I was looking back on it, and it seems like Wind magic was designated as effective against flying units since FE3.

So I guess it was a conscious decision to have a magic weakness for them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Huh, I was looking back on it, and it seems like Wind magic was designated as effective against flying units since FE3.

Well fliers tend to rip through mage types so mages need a way to defend themselves.

hao chi

Blazing Sword. The first Fire Emblem game to come to the West. I still think it had the best story. Also Lyn was a boss. She gets one game she doesn't even star in and Lightning (who is way worse) get like two or three? No justice in the world. None at all.

Sounds like Lucina: best character in their game, but not the star.

I really hope Awakening does get a direct sequel though.
Lucina's unpaired ending is all sorts of bullshit. :(

Yeah, it has been a staple in the game. But generally, this was coupled with only one or two wind spells (FE3, FE6 to FE8) or wind magic was its own rank so not every mage could use wind magic (FE4, FE5, FE9, FE10)

Midou

Hope next game returns to magic being split between anima/light/dark or even as far as FE9 and FE10 with wind/fire/thunder separate. You have a lot more class potential then. I mean, any class who can learn magic in Awakening can suddenly use ALL magic except dark. There is no real point in having a dedicated thunder sage and all that.

I also agree with GBA ones having way more bad-ass generals, chains so fucking awesome. Generals been kind of lacking after GBA.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sounds like Lucina: best character in their game, but not the star.

I really hope Awakening does get a direct sequel though.
Lucina's unpaired ending is all sorts of bullshit. :(

Well let me put it this way. If you were to make a Fire Emblem with all the best and most memorable characters, odds are most of the cast would come from Blazing Sword. Lyn, Eliwood and Hector were each good enough characters to carry their own individual games. As it went, Lyn starred in the prologue (which was sort of it's own game), Eliwood was the star of normal mode and Hector starred in Hard mode (which featured a bunch of hard new maps on top of an already advanced difficulty).

After I beat Awakening on lunatic I am so going back and replaying Blazing Sword. Nintendo needs to put it on the 3DS virtual console already.

Remember how Kellam's face is obscured by Krom's knee in the 3DS Case?

Well, check out the official Wallpaper.

:lol

Oh man that's good stuff. Kellam gets no love.

hao chi

Well let me put it this way. If you were to make a Fire Emblem with all the best and most memorable characters, odds are most of the cast would come from Blazing Sword. Lyn, Eliwood and Hector were each good enough characters to carry their own individual games. As it went, Lyn starred in the prologue (which was sort of it's own game), Eliwood was the star of normal mode and Hector starred in Hard mode (which featured a bunch of hard new maps on top of an already advanced difficulty).

After I beat Awakening on lunatic I am so going back and replaying Blazing Sword. Nintendo needs to put it on the 3DS virtual console already.

Sorry if I gave the impression I haven't played FE7. I'm actually replaying it right now.
I just wanted to complain about Lucina's ending/beg for an Awakening direct sequel.

Edit: Lyn was actually my favorite FE character (followed by Ike), until Lucina replaced her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom