• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does.

"Reclassing removes character variety" means "All characters are the same."

You've got to be kidding.

First, it's not true that removing character variety automatically means all characters are the same. They could just be, you know, less different.

Second, I didn't even use those words, "reclassing removes character variety." So after quoting my post twice, failing to read it properly both times, you've now turned to inserting a statement that I didn't make -- one that, incidentally, does not even prove your point.

At no point did I claim that reclassing makes all the characters the same. There are other people in the thread who have made that argument. Take your complaint up with them.

pulga

Banned
Gaf, im new at Fire Emblem. I want to use a Second Seal to downgrade and farm more experience for my lv 20 Grandmaster, but what should I step down to?

Gaf, im new at Fire Emblem. I want to use a Second Seal to downgrade and farm more experience for my lv 20 Grandmaster, but what should I step down to?

I wanted to accentuate Skill and Avoid, so I changed to Myrm -> Assassin. I had another Avatar that focused on Strength and Defense, so I went Knight -> Great Knight.

Just beat the game on Lunatic. Final boss was an asshole, maxed stats with Ignis and Pavis with near 100% activation, not fun. I have beat the game three times now, I am done for a while. I probably will not bother with Lunatic+.

Respect. I'm going through Lunatic now. Just reached Chapter 17. Chapter 16 with Naga's tree and the reinforcements from nowhere was insane. I had to rush up to the boss to kill him instead of clearing the map. I try never to do that because you lose out on EXP, but it was the only strategy that worked. I can't even imagine Lunatic+.

Smilax

Whoops married Donny with Cordelia their conversations looked cute... I guess I screwed up?

Unless you are playing on a harder difficulty, I don't see much harm to it. I did random pair up as well in my play through and I was able to finish the game without much trouble.

pulga

Banned
I wanted to accentuate Skill and Avoid, so I changed to Myrm -> Assassin. I had another Avatar that focused on Strength and Defense, so I went Knight -> Great Knight.

So I should def downgrade to a Base class instead of a more advanced one? Should I use a master seal at lvl 10 or 20?

NeonZ

Path of Radiance is the game currently featured on the bonus team feature, so anyone can get him at any moment this coming week.

If you're talking specially about Ike's DLC map/character version, it likely will take a while. It's the highest level map out of the DLC character ones. On the other hand, the skill that the player obtains there is pretty much necessary for some later DLC maps, so I guess it could appear unexpectedly early if they don't want to continue with the DLC schedule for a long time, considering how they need to get it out of the way before releasing the later non-DLC character maps.

Ferrio

Banned
Started the game up... only on chapter 5... but hell do my units get torn up. Two hits and they'll die. Seems for the most part you should just sit back and wait for them to come to you.

Anywhere I can re online about what stats do what? I was also confused with weapons, I assume you have to obtain the rank of the weapon or higher to use it?

Started the game up... only on chapter 5... but hell do my units get torn up. Two hits and they'll die. Seems for the most part you should just sit back and wait for them to come to you.

Anywhere I can re online about what stats do what? I was also confused with weapons, I assume you have to obtain the rank of the weapon or higher to use it?

Serenes Forest is the best place to read up on the mechanics of the game.

And yeah, it's often the best strategy to just hole up in a certain part of the map and wait for the enemy to come to you.

Fire Emblem has pretty simple combat formulae when you get used to it.

However, it does require you to get fairly used to the game (or check online guides as suggested).

Waiting for enemies to attack you is a great strategy for beginners (or experts on higher difficulties). Just make sure to watch the movement ranges (and/or use the Check Danger or whatever it's called button).

zroid

Banned
There's no way to instantly toggle off all the enemies whose attack ranges you've highlighted, right? It's rather annoying having to click them off one by one.

Path of Radiance is the game currently featured on the bonus team feature, so anyone can get him at any moment this coming week.

If you're talking specially about Ike's DLC map/character version, it likely will take a while. It's the highest level map out of the DLC character ones. On the other hand, the skill that the player obtains there is pretty much necessary for some later DLC maps, so I guess it could appear unexpectedly early if they don't want to continue with the DLC schedule for a long time, considering how they need to get it out of the way before releasing the later non-DLC character maps.
Yeah, I was referring to dlc Ike. I'm reading that he's the reward of the last light vs. Dark map. Has the dlc in north America been following the Japanese release schedule?

There's no way to instantly toggle off all the enemies whose attack ranges you've highlighted, right? It's rather annoying having to click them off one by one.

Or you can just press X and toggle all of the ranges on and off. But if you've highlighted individual ones, you have to do each manually.

Yeah I know about X, but sometimes I just want to check a few of them specifically. :p

Ah well, thanks.

Yeah, me too. Often I just want to check, for example, an archer's range rather than all of the ranges. They should have mapped Y to that or something (doesn't do anything as far as I know). Although it is nice that they overlay individual ones you select as a different color than the ones that are selected through X.

Yeah, I was referring to dlc Ike. I'm reading that he's the reward of the last light vs. Dark map. Has the dlc in north America been following the Japanese release schedule?

In a loose way. It looks like they are grouping up the releases by the maps hence we got all the Champions of Yores maps one after another while Japan got parts of the Yores pack along with the next pack, King vs. King in the same week.

They are releasing the gold, exp, weapon at the same time frame and I would assume that the King vs. King DLC will be coming up next, but unsure if they are going to release it concurrently with the exp DLC or wait til that's all over.

Alright I have a question. I'm trying to knock out a few Avatar S-supports in one file. I currently have four S-conversations waiting for me in the menu.

In order to get all of those into the support viewer later, can I just view one, save that in file 2, then view the others in file 1 and save all of those in file 2? Would they all be logged, or just the conversation that's currently saved in file two? How would it be possible for me to log all four of those S-supports?

My battle in Paralogue 10 was going brilliantly. I quickly pushed through the enemies and wiped out most of the threat.

But that didn't stop Selena from hugging the wall specifically so that she could be hit by one magic attack, then rushing forward to get hit by the 2nd one that killed her.

... : |

TWILT

Banned
Alright I have a question. I'm trying to knock out a few Avatar S-supports in one file. I currently have four S-conversations waiting for me in the menu.

In order to get all of those into the support viewer later, can I just view one, save that in file 2, then view the others in file 1 and save all of those in file 2? Would they all be logged, or just the conversation that's currently saved in file two? How would it be possible for me to log all four of those S-supports?

Yeah, that should work. I managed to save 3 different S supports with Inigo anyway. You need to save in file 2 for each individual one though.

aparisi2274

I have a quick question about DLC...

I just started the game (about 30min in) and I wanted to download the free map pack, but I have no idea how...

I went to the e-shop, picked the free map, then it took me back to the game, but I see no options to download the map. Am I only allowed to download from certain spots in the game??

Thanks

Yeah, that should work. I managed to save 3 different S supports with Inigo anyway. You need to save in file 2 for each individual one though.

Great, so even if I save each of those supports in file 2, they'll all be recorded? Even though the first three were saved over?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I just started the game (about 30min in) and I wanted to download the free map pack, but I have no idea how...

I went to the e-shop, picked the free map, then it took me back to the game, but I see no options to download the map. Am I only allowed to download from certain spots in the game??

Thanks

Can't get it yet, it's acquired via the world map from a place you don't have access to. You can get it after chapter 3 or 4 or something like that. Outrealm Gate, bottom of the map. Keep an eye out for it.

Doorman

Thanks

After chapter...I think 4, the "outrealm gate" will appear on the map. Head to that location in-game and that's where all the DLC purchasing and playing takes place.

Neiteio

I'm sure this has been discussed before somewhere but I figured I'd ask again.

I currently do not own a 3DS, but this game really has me considering getting one. I'm not terribly good at strategy games but I do enjoy them. The last Fire Emblem game I played was the one released on the GBA and to be honest I found it kinda difficult. My question is how is the difficulty in this one? Can a relative newbie pick it up and enjoy it? Also how is it on length or longevity? I'm perfectly OK with short games but being as I might be buying a whole system just for this game at the moment I would like for it to keep me occupied for awhile. Whether it be just a naturally longer game or one that can be played multiple times.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Get the 3DS XL -- this game looks astounding on it, grand sweeping graphics all lush, full and vibrant.

As for Awakening, it's my first Fire Emblem, and I normally don't like SRPGS, but this game is VERY fast, fluid and accessible. Play on Casual mode, where you can save each turn and where fallen units return at the end of the mission, and set the difficulty to Normal (the default).

It's an extremely content-rich game. I've played for 20 hours so far, and I'm only on Ch. 15 (roughly halfway through the game). There are also many paralogues (side missions) available to me, as well as free battles I can elect to do at any time. There are countless character combinations when it comes to Supports, and when you beat the game once, you can try a higher difficulty setting, or even switch over to Classic mode, where fallen units stay dead.

The production values are superb. The game moves at a brisk clip. The menus are streamlined and refined -- just tap on any element you don't understand, and it will be explained in a succinct, easy-to-understand sentence or two. Every explanation can be revisited in a guide, but you won't need to since they teach it so well and it's not hard to understand. And if you don't play for a while and want to refresh on the story, there's a story icon that allows you to read summaries of what happened in previously completed chapters.

Again, I usually only play action games. For me to take to this game so well proves it's very accessible. It's definitely worth purchasing with a 3DS XL -- it could last you for months. It's like a warm immersive book, transporting you to another world you can get lost in for hours, or even play for 15 minutes and come away completely fulfilled and satisfied. And there are plenty of others games worth your while after that.

Go for it! :)

My progress in this game has really stalled.

I got all this grinding for the children skills and just don't really want to do it yet especially when there's going to be a much more efficient method being released Thursday. :/

Gestahl

I got all this grinding for the children skills and just don't really want to do it yet especially when there's going to be a much more efficient method being released Thursday. :/

Yeah I cheesed Lunatic with Nosferatu (that really should not be possible) and now I'm just waiting for an easy method to raise everyone for supports and marriages.

I can't possibly imagine the dlc to be faster than just spotpass grinding with 'end turn-ing' and skipping all the animations and enemy turns.

I'm stuck on Paralogue 10. All of my characters are fine, but
Severa
keeps getting killed. She just plows ahead, and while I can keep up with her movement I can't kill all the guys around her and she gets targeted and killed in a single turn.

Should I split up into two groups? One to take the guys on the left (and rush the boss) and another to try to kill the guys ahead of her path?

What is better to continue to scratch the Fire Emblem itch after this game, Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones?

Sacred Stones has the world map, the branched promotion and the unlimited exp. It'll probably feel more like this game in gameplay options.

Blazing Sword has what I feel to be more tighter story and definitely plays more like a traditional FE.

Both are good though.

Midou

Severa
keeps getting killed. She just plows ahead, and while I can keep up with her movement I can't kill all the guys around her and she gets targeted and killed in a single turn.

Should I split up into two groups? One to take the guys on the left (and rush the boss) and another to try to kill the guys ahead of her path?

I didn't realize this until someone said it but
when you rescue staff her, she will change her path and go down the left one instead. That way it takes her a lot longer to actually get to enemies. I used the staff 2 or 3 times by the end, just keeping her back.

Anteo

Severa

That's what I did, Cordelia X MU and ChromXSumia guarding her, Donny doing the rest on the other side. Or you could spam the rescue staff, teleporting her back to a safe position.

Nohar

What is better to continue to scratch the Fire Emblem itch after this game, Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones?

Sacred Stones is closer to Awakening, with the multiple choices after promotion and battles on a worldmap... However, Blazing Sword has far better writing and likeable characters, along with a good difficulty and a huge replay value.

For me, it's a no-brainer: you should get Blazing Sword ASAP. Though, like I said, features from Awakening, like the skills, will be missing, and there's no way to grind in Blazing Sword (unless you exploit arenas and bosses).

Really, just take both :) Though, to me, Blazing Sword is far superior to Sacred Stones.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Severa

I just marched my whole group up that side of the building. Used rescue like twice, but as a whole it made the entire level easier since I wasn't strong enough to brute force it like some have.

Neiteio

Severa

Just fly Cordelia over to Severa, talk to her, and hustle all of your strongest units her way, as well. Go up the right-hand path with her. Eventually you will outpace her and draw all enemies to you, your tanks offing them as they come. By positioning your strongest units at the top of the right-hand corridor, you form a choke point where all enemies flock to you, save for assassins and mages that can shoot over walls, and for them you should just hold back your vulnerable units. Protect Severa as she works her way over to her friend, then once she talks to him and you have full control of her, hide her in the corner where her friend was while you send your tank units off to kill the boss. In my case, Chrom x Lucina and Tharja x Gaius was all it took, with some mild support here and there from Kellam.

In a loose way. It looks like they are grouping up the releases by the maps hence we got all the Champions of Yores maps one after another while Japan got parts of the Yores pack along with the next pack, King vs. King in the same week.

They are releasing the gold, exp, weapon at the same time frame and I would assume that the King vs. King DLC will be coming up next, but unsure if they are going to release it concurrently with the exp DLC or wait til that's all over.
Either way, my e-shop card is ready. Even if these maps turn out to be as bad as Champions of Yore.

Blazing Sword, definitely.

Lunatic/Casual, giving yourself an arbitrary allowance of one unit permitted to fall per battle. :p

That's not a bad idea actually. I'm on Chapter 17 on Lunatic/Classic and I'm not sure if that would even help me though. I'm up against endless reinforcements that take several of my own units to kill.

I played through to the end to see what would happen. 6 characters died before my Avatar eventually fell. Even Casual wouldn't have saved me! I am not smart enough for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom