• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

Olivia might be my pick for best wife for Chrom, but I'll be damned if having to level her up at a point when most of my army is hitting level 20 is a pain in the neck. Also: Villager does not cap at 20?

The special classes cap at 30 (Villager, Dancer, Manakete, Taguel)
Also Olivia is a special case as she gains exp by dancing and you can dance as much as you want.

Anteo

If I class changed away from Villager something else, then came back to villager, would I resume at the level I left off?

Back to level 1. But your stats will stay the same, so if you got like 40 def after training in other classes, you will have 40 when going back to villager. This depends on caps, base stats and other things though.

If I class changed away from Villager something else, then came back to villager, would I resume at the level I left off?

Nope, when you change classes via promotion or reclass, you always start back at level 1. You do keep most of the stats you had at the time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tharja is a pretty awesome general.

Physical attacks are practically bouncing off her, and while tomes are a bit more effective, anathema+tomebreaker means they pretty much never hit anyway.

Levin Swords seem to be the only way enemies can deal more than 10 or so damage to her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Should I second seal to a first class all the time after finishing a promoted class, or only in special occasions? Anyone can give me insight into these special occasions if so?

Draxal

Tharja is a pretty awesome general.

Physical attacks are practically bouncing off her, and while tomes are a bit more effective, anathema+tomebreaker means they pretty much never hit anyway.

Levin Swords seem to be the only way enemies can deal more than 10 or so damage to her.

Hammers?

Draxal

She is a Dark Mage, those have high defense compared to mages. Really high defense, she was one of the tankiest on my first playthrough.

He's using Tharja as a general, which does have the 3 X weakness to hammers, and she doesn't have access to axebreaker skill and axe wielders usually have high str to counter her def.

Should I second seal to a first class all the time after finishing a promoted class, or only in special occasions? Anyone can give me insight into these special occasions if so?
I'm not the most optimal player, but I don't think I ever second sealed from a promoted class to a basic one. There are too many good promoted skills, plus their base stats are so much better.

ohlawd

I feel like there comes to a point where you realize your going off the deep end.

For me, trying to marry my future son/daughter would be that point.

Naw, we could go deeper than that.

More like never unless you missed on a Mercenary's Armsthrift.... uhh.... Tactician's Veteran (more exp, I like this one).... ummmmm.... Myrmidon's Vantage...... both Thief skills....

Anteo

He's using Tharja as a general, which does have the 3 X weakness to hammers, and she doesn't have access to axebreaker skill and axe wielders usually have high str to counter her def.

Oh yeah I missed that word (But it makes sense, I too used her as a general after I finished the game, it was only natural). Generally speaking, hammers and beastslayers are only a problem when the enemy spawns and attacks you in the same turn. Otherwise you can pick them off before they do anything serious.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I meant it as an example for things like Dancer and Manakete. Dancing and turning into a Dragon are cool abilities.

All the special classes except villager are worth going back to once you have all the skills you want from other classes.

I've seen some people consider dancer an exception to that as well, but with Olivia's other classes you can set her up to be reasonably competent at combat as a dancer.

All the special classes except villager are worth going back to once you have all the skills you want from other classes.

I've seen some people consider dancer an exception to that as well, but with Olivia's other classes you can set her up to be reasonably competent at combat as a dancer.

The only argument against Dancer I can see is that it has bad caps, mostly in the attacking area. But, it does depend if you want the utility of dancing vs. making Olivia a purely combat unit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
She's kind of pointless as a straight up attacker since she's basically a poor man's Lon'qu, in my opinion.

She has 1 point on him in defense and resistance, but is 2 points behind in speed and skill. They're the same otherwise. Their growths are also pretty similar when in their Myrmidon-based classes.

To me, her unique utility as a dancer is worth more than yet another Swordmaster/Assassin since you have several characters that can run those classes well.

Um, what there is nothing that hints Lucius is 100% male at birth the entire time and there is no mention of him ever losing his equipment at all. And I think you might be confusing Lucius for Excellus? He's just a character made for the fujoshi fanbase, which fire emblem has a very strong fan presence there and they like to see gay pretty boys.

Pretty much every fire emblem is set in generic fantasy land, which is derived from the generic medieval kingdom days, every one from 1-13 with some fantastical elements.

Nintendo is a risk averse company in these types of games, they're going to avoid try enflaming the passions of both sides of that debate, by subtly hinting like they've done in the past, and this is a person who thinks the Male MU/Chrom romance works 10 times better then Fem MU/Chrom romance.
I was talking about Excellus, so apologizes if you were talking about Lucius. (Though my point still stands. I don't personally think Lucius is transgendered, I'm just saying that nothing in Fire Emblem would preclude the possibility.)

And while Fire Emblem is obviously derived from medieval fantasy, that doesn't preclude it from including a multitude of things that would not be "acceptable" in medieval Earth. Gay marriage/relationships and the possibility of a transgendered character are not secluded outliers.

I do agree that Nintendo is too wary of risk. But it's time for them to step into the present. Many modern RPGs include gay relationship options, and Fire Emblem should be no different. There may be some backlash, but that shouldn't be a deterrent. It is the next logical step in the progression of the series.

Nope. Marriage is just used to get kids, so it wouldn't really work very well unless there was some kind of surrogate system or something.
There are marriages in Awakening that do not produce any children. (Read: Any between two 2nd generation characters.) IntSys/Nintendo could of included a system for gay marriage in a variety of ways.

PBalfredo

There are marriages in Awakening that do not produce any children. (Read: Any between two 2nd generation characters.) IntSys/Nintendo could of included a system for gay marriage in a variety of ways.

True, you could have gay 2nd generation characters no problem. It just would be a bad idea to make any gay characters 1st generation because being unable to produce kids would be seen as a flaw gameplay-wise. Those characters then will be likely to be benched much like Say'ri often is.

Frolow

Banned
Just beat the game. Great final level, the music, the setting, everything about it was fantastic. I especially loved the
epilogue in the credits. Sully and Stahl's epilogue was probably my favorite of the bunch.

Anyway, plan on starting a normal playthrough soon so I can get an understanding of some of the mechanics in order to prepare myself for a Lunatic run. I also want to make a good team for Streetpass and the DLC chapters, so if you guys have any suggestions for a team I'd appreciate them.

Draxal

She's kind of pointless as a straight up attacker since she's basically a poor man's Lon'qu, in my opinion.

She has 1 point on him in defense and resistance, but is 2 points behind in speed and skill. They're the same otherwise. Their growths are also pretty similar when in their Myrmidon-based classes.

To me, her unique utility as a dancer is worth more than yet another Swordmaster/Assassin since you have several characters that can run those classes well.

She's got galeforce over lon'qu ... but you can raise children with better caps and galeforce, so yeah agree with you on that.

I made Olivia into an Assassin and paired her with Kellam who was also an Assassin. They have a dual strike% in the 80s. They both have Lethality. Nothing can touch them.

Aexact

I just like Dancers. It's my favorite class in FF, and it was really useful in FE7.
They're super useful in other FEs but Galeforce, higher stat caps across the board, and the return of reinforcements that move on the turn they arrive make your Dancer pretty bad in Awakening.

True, you could have gay 2nd generation characters no problem. It just would be a bad idea to make any gay characters 1st generation because being unable to produce kids would be seen as a flaw gameplay-wise. Those characters then will be likely to be benched much like Say'ri often is.
There are ten 1st gen characters that don't produce children unless paired with Robin, they could easily of made some of them eligible for gay marriage too without disrupting what they already set in place for Awakening.

As for their kids, they could introduce an adoption system. For example, their child might not get any skills passed down, but maybe they'd have access to an additional class set, get unique skills, or some additional stat boosts. And maybe the characters that got married could receive something unique too, so you would have the choice of making your 1st gen characters even better.

But we can't forget, the marriage system is not just there for stat boosts and kids, there are a plethora of character development aspects that are just as important, if not more so IMO.

The bottom line is, there are a multitude of ways that they can integrate gay marriage into future games. They just have to have the foresight and tenacity to do it. It just makes sense to continue past mere inference, and the series will be better off because of it.

Nohar

I do agree that Nintendo is too wary of risk. But it's time for them to step into the present. Many modern RPGs include gay relationship options, and Fire Emblem should be no different. There may be some backlash, but that shouldn't be a deterrent. It is the next logical step in the progression of the series.

True enough. I agree with you. Though, if you allow me to nitpick, I would say that there already are some gay relationship in the Fire Emblem universe (but nothing really explicit). Legault from FE7 seems to be gay in some of his support conversations (even going as far as calling Morph-Lloyd handsome if you pit him againt it). The bandits from the desert chapter of the same game also seems to be gay (even sporting an A support - though, well, they are kinda stereotyped... And Jasmine may be a combat sadomasochist). There is also Ike and Soren (FE9 + FE10), though how canon that pairing is is left to our imagination. Heather (FE10), despite not having that much lines, is pretty much explicitly gay (even more so in the japanese version of the game, if I believe my source). Lucius and Raven may also end up in a relationship depending on how you interpret their A support ending (though, I consider that they are more heterosexual life partners than anything).

Gay marriage in a video game like Fire Emblem would be an huge thing. I'm not sure we can expect that from Nintendo yet.

True enough. I agree with you. Though, if you allow me to nitpick, I would say that there already are some gay relationship in the Fire Emblem universe (but nothing really explicit). Legault from FE7 seems to be gay in some of his support conversations (even going as far as calling Morph-Lloyd handsome if you pit him againt it). The bandits from the desert chapter of the same game also seems to be gay (even sporting an A support - though, well, they are kinda stereotyped... And Jasmine may be a combat sadomasochist). There is also Ike and Soren (FE9 + FE10), though how canon that pairing is is left to our imagination. Heather (FE10), despite not having that much lines, is pretty much explicitly gay (even more so in the japanese version of the game, if I believe my source). Lucius and Raven may also end up in a relationship depending on how you interpret their A support ending (though, I consider that they are more heterosexual life partners than anything).

Gay marriage in a video game like Fire Emblem would be an huge thing. I'm not sure we can expect that from Nintendo yet.
That's what I meant when I said I want them to go past the inference. There are many gay relationships in the FE series, but they are all bound by innuendo. The context is there, so it's hardly a case of a portion of the fanbase asking to shoehorn in content that isn't warranted.

But then you have people saying that we should be happy with just inference, that it's enough to just imply it. Frankly, it's not enough. It's time for Nintendo and IntSys to step into the present. Anyone that would be so offended by fully realized gay relationships that they'd stop playing the game probably shouldn't be playing these games in the first place.

One of the selling points of this series is the relationship building between your characters, a feature that is more present than ever in Awakening. Gay relationships are the next step to take, I'm just hoping that Nintendo and IntSys will follow through.

We can't even be certain that the next few FE games will have marriage at all. That it's in Awakening is a throwback to FE4, the only other game to include it.

We can't even be certain that the next few FE games will have marriage at all. That it's in Awakening is a throwback to FE4, the only other game to include it.
After the overwhelming popularity of Awakening, it almost certainly will.

The child mechanic might be absent, or implemented differently, but they'd be crazy to take out the relationship building.

CSX

The child mechanic might be absent, or implemented differently, but they'd be crazy to take out the relationship building.

well they can say marriage is back through the epilouges like the past 4-5 FEs lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I made Olivia into an Assassin and paired her with Kellam who was also an Assassin. They have a dual strike% in the 80s. They both have Lethality. Nothing can touch them.

You can check dual strike percentage? I've spent 194 hours in this game according to activity log... don't tell me I missed that :eek:

Also, Olivia in my playthroughs always managed to outdo Lon'qu in terms of battle performance. She paired with Chrom produced a very powerful Inigo with around 110% Armsthrift, so I can play with forged legendary swords and bows all I want with Inigo as Assassin.

If they took out support mechanic or replacing it with something incredibly sub-standard system like the one in Radiant Dawn, I'm gonna shoot a bazooka to a pack of kittens.

ohlawd

You can check dual strike percentage? I've spent 194 hours in this game according to activity log... don't tell me I missed that :eek:

bro yeah you can lol. Go check it; top screen then bottom left on the combat forecast before attacking an enemy. Dual guard percentage is there too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know those 2 stats at the bottom when you're attacking?
The sword is Dual Strike, the shield is the guard thing.

bro yeah you can lol. Go check it; top screen then bottom left on the combat forecast before attacking an enemy. Dual guard percentage is there too.

Well I'll be..........................................................

I always thought it's fixed percentage from whether none, C, B, A, and S support..............

zroid

Banned
lolwat. How do you miss that o_O

Are you using the basic view? (not sure if it's displayed there, I switched that crap off in hour one :p)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
lolwat. How do you miss that o_O

Are you using the basic view? (not sure if it's displayed there, I switched that crap off in hour one :p)

I am using this for my entire 194 hours:

fire_emblem_awakening_4a.jpg

I am not even aware that there is another type of view. I know about the full/partial status screen, but not this. Golly God this is weird, hahahaha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oliiiiiviiiiiaaaaa why you take so long to level up?

Because she's awesome, that's why.

Recommended path (requires grinding though) --> Dancer up to 10 --> Myrmidon --> Swordmaster --> Dark Flier --> Assassin.

I made a mistake of making her Assassin first before Swordmaster :\

Really, once you grab Astra and Swordfaire, I see no reason why anyone would put a character inside Swordmaster instead of transforming them into an Assassin, except probably for aesthetic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am much more of a leg person than boob person, and I admit Female Swordmaster's design is lovely.

Partly the reason why I like Say'ri default design I guess, hahah.

Speaking of designs: Paladin, Great Knight, and especially General are the worst.

The best designs IMO: Lucina as Great Lord, Grandmaster, and Swordmaster (female especially.) Dread Fighter is chillin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom