• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

Where do you actually grind in this game? I noticed there is no arena and no tower that i know of.

Skirmishes on the map appear randomly and you can repeat the DLC maps again and again.

EDIT : You can also grind using streetpass/spotpass teams since you have to defeat them or bribe them to join

PKrockin

Where is the fun in an optional boss that's just as hard to kill as a regular boss in the story?

There are other ways to make a level challenging besides forcing you to grind for hours to even have a chance in hell, especially since this is a friggin' strategy game. But I completely forgot that you can just fight that map after the Spotpass/DLC maps and such, so never mind.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You could just not exploit the grinding factor in there and stop complaining. The game just gives you options to appeal to other players.

It's there, but you don't have to "use" it.

I just might.... but I like my physical copies :-/

Can you get one of your press contacts to let you have their copy if they're done reviewing it then you'll buy them their own copy when you get back? (Since apparently Nintendo PR isn't taking bribes... *chuckles*)

I've never played Fire Emblem, how does it compare to games like Advanced Wars?

Intelligent Systems makes FE and Advance Wars. Aesthetically very similar, but quite different at the core. FE focuses largely on the RPG aspects, emphasizing character development (both gameplay and story-wise). Every unit you have in the game is a unique character (and in classic mode, if they die then they are gone for the rest of the game), so it focuses a lot on building a good, well rounded team of units. However, if you like Advance Wars you'll see a lot that seems similar, and you should enjoy FE.

I've never played Fire Emblem, how does it compare to games like Advanced Wars?

When I first played Fire Emblem, for GBA, I noticed it was remarkably similar to Advance Wars. Like, probably running on the same engine and everything. The gameplay is essentially the same, but the big difference is that instead of pumping out generic units from a factory, you recruit unique individuals and fight with them as they level up and grow.

Very excited for the game. Will probably start on Hard/Classic. I usually do a playthrough on Normal before starting again on Hard, but if I'm going to try a few of the sidequests, then I might as well do Hard.

Hooray! OP used my title suggestion.

The heavily structured nature of Fire Emblem has always been so appealing to me, as opposed to other SRPG's. The finite EXP, partnered with permadeath, creates this structure of "every move counts". Sure, I'll restart on deaths, but that just makes me have to think more strategically on the next try. Yes, you get crap dice rolls, but the game FORCES you to always expect the unexpected and treat every encounter like it could contain a 1% crit. It makes you respect and fear the RNG, rather than just simply get annoyed with it.

The series, to me, has always been about rolling with what you're dealt with, and being unable to grind your way out of a situation. It's always been less of an RPG to me and more of a puzzle game in that IS creates distinct patterns and it's your job to find them.

I agree. It's not going to turn me off from buying the game, but I prefer the structure. I like knowing "this is how you're supposed to play the game to get the proper challenge."

I don't like having to ignore parts of the game in order to challenge myself. It feels arbitrary, like never touching Super Mushrooms in Mario Bros.

I noticed 8-4 tweeted this.
@84play said:
Got a Q for the creators of Fire Emblem Awakening? Talking in 8 hours for official site interview, set aside some time for fan Qs. Send 'em!
That was about 6 hours ago (as of this post).

Velcro Fly

I like the idea of being able to keep playing with the units i've built up. Finite exp and perma death makes for a fun game, but I like the permanent feel of being able to play DLC maps and other stuff if I feel like it.

jackal27

Banned
GAAAAWWWWWWD I am going to take this game and rub it all over my face. I keep trying to avoid feature spoilers, but I CAN'T. I haven't been this hyped for a game in a loooong long time. I really love Fire Emblem though.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
GAAAAWWWWWWD I am going to take this game and rub it all over my face. I keep trying to avoid feature spoilers, but I CAN'T. I haven't been this hyped for a game in a loooong long time. I really love Fire Emblem though.
Your avatar is my favorite Breath of Fire as well. +1 for 'Fire' games.

DkeYZWx.gif

509aea630604f6ff74b077b94c9ae708-how-i-met-your-mother-high-five.gif

What a lovely avatar you have.

What do you miss if you play in casual?

Some secret ending or characters?

I am a long time FE faan, but the allure of less restarts is going to be hard to ignore. Especially after playing XCOM

So cant preorder at gamestop since late. What do I do? Not going to amazon cause my card doesnt work :(

Walk in a target or walmart and get lucky? Or was this gamestop exclusive?

Rarutos

Any playable female in the game can be your waifu except for female Avatars and legacy SpotPass/DLC characters.

Actually any playable character except those in general, since you can marry male characters if you have a female Avatar. :)

People often seem to forget that here...

Vamphuntr

If you are in Canada you can go preorder in store at FS or BB and you should get the artbook too if they have some left.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/l59ddam5bjf4qIRhRVmpEINx9my5WdZK

Future Shop & Best Buy Canada

Obtain the limited edition FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING BUNDLE with branded Nintendo 3DS system and preinstalled game only at Future Shop and Best Buy in Canada.

Obtenez l’ensemble FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING en édition limitée avec une console Nintendo 3DS et le jeu préinstallé, seulement à Future Shop et Best Buy au Canada.

BONUS!

Receive a limited edition Character Art Book with purchase in store of the Fire Emblem Awakening bundle or game.

Recevez un livre d’art en édition limitée avec votre achat en magasin du jeu ou de l’ensemble Fire Emblem Awakening.

Visit participating locations for complete details. Availability of the character art book applies to in store purchases only. Restrictions and limited quantities may apply. Visitez les détaillants participants pour les détails complets. La disponibilité du livre d’art s’applique strictement aux achats en magasin seulement. Restrictions et quantités limitées peuvent s'appliquer.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So cant preorder at gamestop since late. What do I do? Not going to amazon cause my card doesnt work :(

Walk in a target or walmart and get lucky? Or was this gamestop exclusive?

Amazon appears to be out of preorders anyway.

I'd guess big stores will have copies available on release day, I'm not even sure Walmart or Target take preorders in store (don't think Walmart does for most games anymore?).

Chrom

Actually any playable character except those in general, since you can marry male characters if you have a female Avatar. :)

People often seem to forget that here...

Oh, I knew that, I was just speaking strictly females since he simply said waifus. I should've elaborated more. :p

But yes, you can pretty much marry anyone in the game, gender permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom