• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Dresden

I always keep track of their range. That level is really dangerous for weaker characters. Damn boss even moves in that chapter. You don't have to worry about stat growths at all in this one since you can use second seals to repeat any class and level up all stats until you max everything out.

Good to know.

demidar

Good to know.

Reclassing to the same class (or any other class) will make it harder to level up too, so just because it says "level 1" on the stat sheet doesn't mean you'll level up as fast as the first time. And this diminishing return carries on through to promoted classes as well.

Despera

Banned
According to the wiki, Chrom's child will inherit Aether regardless of slot assignment. Somehow this is not happening.

I tried assigning Aether to the 5th slot, and still, nothing. Can someone tell me why's that?

btw, Chrom is married to MU.

Sendou

According to the wiki, Chrom's child will inherit Aether regardless of slot assignment. Somehow this is not happening.

I tried assigning Aether to the 5th slot, and still, nothing. Can someone tell me why's that?

btw, Chrom is married to MU.

Well his son will inherit Rightful King instead. Aether is only inherited by his daughter(s).

Chrom

Aether inheritance is only for females, yeah. It's also noteworthy that Aether is learned regardless if Chrom has even learned it himself. Same with passing down Rightful King.

demidar

I personally prefer Aether to Rightful King, because Rightful King requires grinding to get other skills to maximize it's effectiveness.

Of course Chrom gets both so yeah.

Cross-Post Incoming!

I just got back from Europe last night night, and I need a 3DS game to tide me over until my beloved Animal Crossing sweeps me off my feet and makes me feel pretty again. The problem is that there are two seemingly fantastic titles to choose from... Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem. I know I'll love both games, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding which one I should get now, and which I should put off until later on into the summer draught.

I'm sure Luigi's Mansion is shorter, meaning I could probably beat it before June 9th. The multiplayer seems like decent fun too.

Fire Emblem seems like the better game, if only slightly, and will probably keep me more focused and engaged than Luigi's Mansion. If I beat Luigi's Mansion too quickly, I'll still be driving myself mad with the wait for AC. But I don't want AC to come out before I'm able to run through the story mode of Fire Emblem!

As you can see, my life is super difficult at the moment.

Thoughts? How long is each respective title, and how much replay value do they contain?

Thanks Ninten-GAF!

Draxal

Cross-Post Incoming!

I just got back from Europe last night night, and I need a 3DS game to tide me over until my beloved Animal Crossing sweeps me off my feet and makes me feel pretty again. The problem is that there are two seemingly fantastic titles to choose from... Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem. I know I'll love both games, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding which one I should get now, and which I should put off until later on into the summer draught.

I'm sure Luigi's Mansion is shorter, meaning I could probably beat it before June 9th. The multiplayer seems like decent fun too.

Fire Emblem seems like the better game, if only slightly, and will probably keep me more focused and engaged than Luigi's Mansion. If I beat Luigi's Mansion too quickly, I'll still be driving myself mad with the wait for AC. But I don't want AC to come out before I'm able to run through the story mode of Fire Emblem!

As you can see, my life is super difficult at the moment.

Thoughts? How long is each respective title, and how much replay value do they contain?

Thanks Ninten-GAF!

Luigi's Mansion is a rental, Fire Emblem is a keeper imho; you can burn through Fire Emblem pretty quickly on normal difficulty.

demidar

So I just got a child unit who inherited both Slow Burn and Quick Burn...

How does this combination add up?

Permanent +15 dodge and hit. As one decrements the other increments, until at turn 15 where Quick Burn loses all effectiveness and Slow Burn gains full effectiveness for the rest of the map.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my promoted guys are nearing level 20. What should I do once they're there? Class change to a lower level class or just leave them as-is and try to level up other characters?

demidar

Some of my promoted guys are nearing level 20. What should I do once they're there? Class change to a lower level class or just leave them as-is and try to level up other characters?

Change them to another advanced class so they can continue gaining levels, stat points and skills.

Despera

Banned
Permanent +15 dodge and hit. As one decrements the other increments, until at turn 15 where Quick Burn loses all effectiveness and Slow Burn gains full effectiveness for the rest of the map.
Expected as much. Thanks.

In the end I went with Quick Burn and Renewal.

demidar

Expected as much. Thanks.

In the end I went with Quick Burn and Renewal.

Renewal is pretty good, probably even better if paired up with Counter but I'm not sure a character has access to those class combinations (Avatar and a child could though).

Is there a way to repeat previous missions to grind? if not, how do you grind in this game?

If you are on normal mode, you can buy the cheap Reeking Boxes and summon Risens to where you are currently standing on the world map.

You can also summon up the SpotPass characters and beat them up for exp as well.

Sendou

Is there a way to repeat previous missions to grind? if not, how do you grind in this game?

There isn't. You can grind fighting against risens (they spawn randomly or you can spam then using a item called Reeking Box), spotpass teams or DLC. All of the previous will be unlocked after you have completed the first 6 chapters or so.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anyway to increase the longevity of weapons? Quite a few important ones have broken for me

Hammerne staffs will restore equipment, but you can reobtain any weapon one way or another. Most are available through shops or from spotpass teams, legendary weapons through the Infinite Regalia DLC, and the rarest are only obtainable through shiny tiles (Aversa's Night, for one).

Those staffs are very rare until the endgame, at which point they become slightly rare. Best not to waste them until you are spending 20000+ gold forging rare equipment.

Mercenary class has the Armsthrift ability, which gives a 2xLuck% chance that a weapon won't use up a durability point. Perfect for Donnel, he has the highest luck in the game.

His kid will have better luck, unless the wife has a -2 or worse cap modifier. Nowi x Donnel will produce a Nah with a 50 luck cap, so you get 100% activation rate without Limit Breaker.

Oxx

Even 18 chapters in I'm still mainly using standard iron/steel weapons. Saving the good stuff for a future where they probably won't even be required.

K' Dash

There isn't. You can grind fighting against risens (they spawn randomly or you can spam then using a item called Reeking Box), spotpass teams or DLC. All of the previous will be unlocked after you have completed the first 6 chapters or so.

If you are on normal mode, you can buy the cheap Reeking Boxes and summon Risens to where you are currently standing on the world map.

You can also summon up the SpotPass characters and beat them up for exp as well.

Thanks for the quick answer :)

Hm. What should my Noire's final class be? Her dad is Henry, so maybe also a Sorcerer to maximize Def and Magic? Or a Dark Knight?

Also, my Yarne has turned out rather well. He's an Assassin now. Should I keep him as that for ranged attacks, or send him back to Taguel to make good use of that Beastbane skill? Virion's his dad and it seems like his Assassin caps are roughly the same as his Taguel caps with Beaststone+.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hm. What should my Noire's final class be? Her dad is Henry, so maybe also a Sorcerer to maximize Def and Magic? Or a Dark Knight?

Also, my Yarne has turned out rather well. He's an Assassin now. Should I keep him as that for ranged attacks, or send him back to Taguel to make good use of that Beastbane skill? Virion's his dad and it seems like his Assassin caps are roughly the same as his Taguel caps with Beaststone+.

Sorcerer is probably the best bet.

And I'd probably make Yarne a Berserker or Assassin. Virion isn't really an ideal dad for him in any case.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Morgan's head on a Fighter's body looks totally ridiculous. And he didn't inherit Basilio's skin color :)

InertiaXr

I just got this, and just finished chapter 1, on hard/classic. My archer guy died in Chapter 1, how big of a deal is it actually losing dudes? I assume that's not the only archer in the entire game, and since all my guys are still level 2 I should get another one soon enough so it's not a huge loss?

Draxal

I just got this, and just finished chapter 1, on hard/classic. My archer guy died in Chapter 1, how big of a deal is it actually losing dudes? I assume that's not the only archer in the entire game, and since all my guys are still level 2 I should get another one soon enough so it's not a huge loss?

Well, there's very few archers in this game ... he's not a huge loss but losing a character on chapter 1 isn't a very good sign. You might want to drop down to normal/classic or play hard/casual.

It feels like I've hit a difficulty spike. I was cruising through on Normal/Classic (this is my first FE) until around paralogue 10 and chapter 16. Now I'm losing characters left and right.

I guess I'm off to buy some reeking boxes.

ohlawd

It feels like I've hit a difficulty spike. I was cruising through on Normal/Classic (this is my first FE) until around paralogue 10 and chapter 16. Now I'm losing characters left and right.

I guess I'm off to buy some reeking boxes.

You can save some money if you grind on weaksauce Bonus Teams instead.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I feel bad for grinding the shit out of Frederick, but damn it I'm going to change the Jagen curse even if it kills me!

I decided that if I have only one character become a Griffon Rider then it may as well be someone souped to hell and back.

Finished first time normal/classic. Certainly could have held off on some training, as I just mowed down the crowd on the final few levels one after another. Chrom/Lucina paired wiped out the final boss in one multi-attack round.

My avatar and his family just wrecked shop. Maribelle became a one-woman hurricane as I trained her the most before picking up our cute blond Morgan (she evolved into an unstoppable and versatile galeforced War Cleric). Brady was a newish recruit who trained alongside Severa (a Merc turned Sniper) traveling together. Other characters sometimes got a shot in.

Already started up Hard/classic and thoroughly enjoying the difficulty. Now necessarily paying more serious attention to the weapon triangle, positioning, etc as required in Fire Emblems past. In Normal mode, for the most part i just highlighted archer ranges and that was enough (barring just getting sloppy). Put it aside for now at Chapter 4.

InertiaXr

Well, there's very few archers in this game ... he's not a huge loss but losing a character on chapter 1 isn't a very good sign. You might want to drop down to normal/classic or play hard/casual.
I only lost that guy because I got a little careless because it was taking so long to get through that early chapter. I ended up taking like 17 turns to keep my guys all healed up from the cleric and forts, so at the end I just let the bandit boss guy take down that archer so I could kill him faster and get done with it. Along those lines, is there any reason to not pair up basically everybody every battle? On hard/classic dudes can barely take 2 hits before death so I have to inch up so slowly.

Chrom

I only lost that guy because I got a little careless because it was taking so long to get through that early chapter. I ended up taking like 17 turns to keep my guys all healed up from the cleric and forts, so at the end I just let the bandit boss guy take down that archer so I could kill him faster and get done with it. Along those lines, is there any reason to not pair up basically everybody every battle? On hard/classic dudes can barely take 2 hits before death so I have to inch up so slowly.

Pairing Up means less actions per turn.

one_kill

Figuring out new pairings for a new playthrough is fun. Executing, on the other hand, is not so fun.

Also, I was wondering which is better:
- Leveling up a base class to 20 before changing or upgrading classes, or
- Changing classes as soon as you get them to another to get skills faster?

McNum

Figuring out new pairings for a new playthrough is fun. Executing, on the other hand, is not so fun.

Also, I was wondering which is better:
- Leveling up a base class to 20 before changing or upgrading classes, or
- Changing classes as soon as you get them to another to get skills faster?
Both are equally good, as long as you have a plan with what you're doing. Just try to get 20-ish levels before using a Master Seal, unless you start seeing multiple green stat numbers before that. The game will treat you as level 20+ when it comes to getting EXP, so you might as well be level 20+ when you promote.

Doing 10 levels of one class and 10 of another isn't a bad plan, though. Just keep in mind what skills you're going for and what final class you want.

one_kill

Both are equally good, as long as you have a plan with what you're doing. Just try to get 20-ish levels before using a Master Seal, unless you start seeing multiple green stat numbers before that. The game will treat you as level 20+ when it comes to getting EXP, so you might as well be level 20+ when you promote.

Doing 10 levels of one class and 10 of another isn't a bad plan, though. Just keep in mind what skills you're going for and what final class you want.
Thanks McNum. I'm about to start a third playthrough and didn't want to grind as much as I did in previous ones.

If you're gonna play hard/classic prepare yourself. This is coming from someone who is also playing hard/classic and finished XCOM on classic/ironman.

Hah, nonono. I'm a self-proclaimed Fire Emblem/strategy noob. I will be playing Classic though, the emotional impact of teammates dying is such a cool mechanic.

Top Bottom