• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Moonlight

Banned
This Sullly/Chrom stuff reads like a true tragedy. No one should be exposed to that kind of thing.

People hating on Male Morgan before seeing his superior supports with Owain, smh
I saw, he's still the worst. I'll take Morgan and Inigo's support any day of the week, thank you very much.

Sendou

If it weren't for Lucina I would let Chrom marry anyone. Chrom deserves Sully but Lucina as Sully's child? There's a line and it's drawn right there.

Oxx

It's an easy trap to fall into. Sully is the first female that shows-up that isn't related to Chrom, right?

They go way back.

McNum

Aw, still no Lost Bloodlines DLC for Europe.

Today's menu is Hot Springs Scramble and A Hard Miracle.

I should get some of those SpotPass maps done at some point.

Guys I'm on chapter 10. I see/read Donny can be beast but man...is it rough. I see that it worth getting him to 30 as a villager, what are your best leveling suggestions?

I haven't gotten any of the DLC yet.

McNum

Guys I'm on chapter 10. I see/read Donny can be beast but man...is it rough. I see that it worth getting him to 30 as a villager, what are your best leveling suggestions?

I haven't gotten any of the DLC yet.
Villager 30? No. No reason to do THAT to yourself.

Villager 15 for Underdog (bonus against higher level enemies) or just Villager 10 then using a Second Seal to reclass to Mercenary? Yes! Very, very yes. He's awesome that way.

demidar

The reason why Donny can be so powerful is due to the Aptitude skill, which adds a +20% chance a stat will increase on level up. However that doesn't really mean much if you don't actually know what kind of number crunching goes on in the background.

Basically, each character draws the chance for stat ups from two places, their innate chances and the chance provided by the class they currently are. These two chances are in %percentage form, so for example (and I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass, purely as an example) let's say Donnel's base chance at getting +1 in strength on level up is 30%, and he's a Mercenary which gives another 35% summing to a 65% per level up that strength will go up. Aptitude will add an additional 20% to that chance (and every other stat) so the chance at a strength up is now 85%. On level up, the game pulls some random numbers for each stat, and if that random number is below the %chance of a stat up (85% in this case) that stat will increase.

As an addendum, it is possible to get over 100% chance for a stat up, most commonly seen on Nowi and her HP. If the chance does go over 100% that's a guaranteed increase per level up, and the leftover percentage chance leads to another stat increase. So Nowi gets +1 HP, and rarely +2 HP per level up. Apparently the Manakete class grants a high chance for health up by itself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The reason why Donny can be so powerful is due to the Aptitude skill, which adds a +20% chance a stat will increase on level up. However that doesn't really mean much if you don't actually know what kind of number crunching goes on in the background.

Basically, each character draws the chance for stat ups from two places, their innate chances and the chance provided by the class they currently are. These two chances are in %percentage form, so for example (and I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass, purely as an example) let's say Donnel's base chance at getting +1 in strength on level up is 30%, and he's a Mercenary which gives another 35% summing to a 65% per level up that strength will go up. Aptitude will add an additional 20% to that chance (and every other stat) so the chance at a strength up is now 85%. On level up, the game pulls some random numbers for each stat, and if that random number is below the %chance of a stat up (85% in this case) that stat will increase.

As an addendum, it is possible to get over 100% chance for a stat up, most commonly seen on Nowi and her HP. If the chance does go over 100% that's a guaranteed increase per level up, and the leftover percentage chance leads to another stat increase. So Nowi gets +1 HP, and rarely +2 HP per level up. Apparently the Manakete class grants a high chance for health up by itself.

Does that allow you to break caps? Or does that just mean you reach your caps sooner?

What do the different colors represent on the "Advanced" health bar? I've not yet seen an in-game description for it

This title is incredible so far. I'm pretty blown away that literally every aspect of the game has been executed to perfection

IIRC you can turn off the HP hues in the options.

Does that allow you to break caps? Or does that just mean you reach your caps sooner?
Caps sooner. Two things determine caps*. The stat caps of that class and the characters personal modifiers. for instance Donny has a +4 modifier to luck meaning in a promoted class it will max out at 49 rather than 45 (also with the aptitude skill he always gains luck). Donny's personal modifiers are fairly low but for the main game it isn't really that important (it only gets important maybe for harder DLC).

*-Well actually 3. There is a DLC only skill call limit break which when equipped adds an additional +10 to the stat caps (so I guess it does break caps in that respect).

Macka

Should I wait to level 20 before reclassing Chrom? I've heard that since you can infinitely grind in this game, you're better off doing it as soon as you gain the class skills.

Sendou

He's a level 16 Lord at the moment and I do have a spare Second Seal. I figured reclassing to Cavalier would be a good idea since I could build up some skill with Lances.

Don't do that. Cavalier skills are useless and you level up weapon skills quickly either way. Chrom has bad skill selection in my opinion but Dread Fighter (DLC), Great Knight and Paladin are all classes worth checking out. Just Master Seal him to Great Lord after that. Then Second Seal -> (Dread Fighter)/Great Knight -> Paladin -> Back to Great Lord if you don't wish to witness the ultimate form of Chrom that is Paladin!

Dresden

He's a level 16 Lord at the moment and I do have a spare Second Seal. I figured reclassing to Cavalier would be a good idea since I could build up some skill with Lances.

Eh, you want to reclass for skills and the cavalier lacks stuff that Chrom would want.

Anteo

Great lords can use lances too! Plus you get aether and rightfull king earlier. I really don't think any of the base classes are worth for Chrom. He doesn't have acces to Vantage or Armshift.

demidar

Great lords can use lances too! Plus you get aether and rightfull king earlier. I really don't think any of the base classes are worth for Chrom. He doesn't have acces to Vantage or Armshift.

I don't think Armsthrift would be terribly useful on Chrom anyway, since he will probably be the strongest unit in your army that can beat down everything with his infinite use Falchion.

Draxal

I don't think Armsthrift would be terribly useful on Chrom anyway, since he will probably be the strongest unit in your army that can beat down everything with his infinite use Falchion.

He would love to use an infinite Gradivus/Ragnell. However; he is an amazing support bot.

I gotta say, this is one of those Nintendo games that encourage players to take breaks the right way. If I'm trying to level up a bunch of characters, I need to fight a lot of Risen. The way they pop up by leaving the game off for a while encourages you to take a break when there's nothing else to do. It's beautiful.

A far cry from having a message pop up saying; stop playing our game, it's unhealthy.

Chrom

I gotta say, this is one of those Nintendo games that encourage players to take breaks the right way. If I'm trying to level up a bunch of characters, I need to fight a lot of Risen. The way they pop up by leaving the game off for a while encourages you to take a break when there's nothing else to do. It's beautiful.

A far cry from having a message pop up saying; stop playing our game, it's unhealthy.

Well, the game still does that, too. If you play for a long time and go to the save file screen, you might see Anna reminding you to take breaks on the bottom screen.

McNum

You haven't noticed Anna telling you to remember to take breaks after playing a couple of battles?

But yeah, free stuff for not playing the game is pretty nice.

Busaiku

Anna tells you to take breaks all the time and so do characters in the Barracks.

katkombat

Banned
ESSENTIAL

Golden Pack
Rogues and Redeemers 3•*
Lost Bloodlines 2^ & 3•
Smash Brethren 2^

FOR STORY-LOVERS

Scramble Pack
Future of Despair Pack*

FOR MASOCHISTS

Challenge Pack
Apotheosis*

* denotes maps that can kick your teeth in if you are unprepared

^ denotes maps which give you new classes

• denotes maps which give you extremely useful skills

thanks!
katkombat has to buy every dlc (because he got the game for free) so...

i will i just wanted to know which ones to buy first!

He should buy two DLC pieces from a pack then buy the pack after. Do this for all packs.

i was gonna buy another copy then all the dlc but this works too ;)

i cant believe my luck with this one...FREEEEEEEE...

and its tied for my fave game this year...imagine that

Chrom

i was gonna buy another copy then all the dlc but this works too ;)

As said before, you can't do that. The packs become unavailable for purchase if you buy any of their respective DLC pieces. You can only either buy the pack or purchase the pack's contents individually.

Well, the game still does that, too. If you play for a long time and go to the save file screen, you might see Anna reminding you to take breaks on the bottom screen.

You haven't noticed Anna telling you to remember to take breaks after playing a couple of battles?

But yeah, free stuff for not playing the game is pretty nice.

Anna tells you to take breaks all the time and so do characters in the Barracks.

That depends on the time of day it is. They don't do it all the time. I was referring to the kind of message that interrupts the gameplay. The kind in the Wii Sports games and others.

I was just saying that it's good that the game rewards you for not playing as well.

Oxx

Even the exp map is a bit of a chore now. Only the toughest enemies give decent exp and they aren't always in plentiful supply.

GamerSoul

Grr, damn those reinforcements. :l Even when I plan for them out comes a Wyvern Rider with a Tomahawk.

And Sully is still awesome. Stop the hate. lol Seeing red-haired Morgan as a cavalier reminds me of my beloved Sully ;_; Now if I can actually finish that stage.

I love the pacing of the main story and the extra paralogues. I hope they do this for the next game.

Even the exp map is a bit of a chore now. Only the toughest enemies give decent exp and they aren't always in plentiful supply.

After a point of multiple reclassing, you'll be better off doing risen encounters at the late chapters or of the SpotPass Paralogues or one of the DLC maps where both parties are fighting against you.

ffdgh

When the Exp map starts to slow down, I go back to a base class and repromote to get it kicking again...It's also the only way I can level up archers/snipers without going insane.

But lb3 is the best every other time

I've found, once a unit is strong enough, taking them to Lost Bloodlines 3 (or whichever one is Celice's map) and wiping everyone out by themselves (paired with a forced Chrom) is good for 5 levels or so. And they'll get Paragon on top of it. Just be sure to bring an Elixir or two.

TrueBlue

Just reclassed lvl 20 female Morgan into a War Cleric, with MU and Lissa as the parents. Was this wise?

Also, any suggestions for reclassing a lvl 30 Tiki?

ffdgh

Just reclassed lvl 20 female Morgan into a War Cleric, with MU and Lissa as the parents. Was this wise?

Warclerk has good skills so no big deal. Go for grandmaster next.

Tiki wants to remain a manakete.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Warclerk has good skills so no big deal. Go for grandmaster next.

Tiki wants to remain a manakete.

Should still reclass her for skills, even if Manakete is her best final class. She can grab a couple breaker skills from the Wyvern tree and Lifetaker from Dark Knight.

Draxal

Assuming you're MU was magic based. Your Morgan would want to visit the following classes unpromoted (merc/myrmidon) promoted (Hero/Great Knight/Sage/Dark Flier) with the ending class either being Sage/Sorceror/Grandmaster. Without the dlc skills, you're Morgan would have (armsthrift/sol (luna or ignis if sorceror)/galeforce/vantage/tomefaire).

Top Bottom